•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland @ Lawrence County 10/2
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Kind of mine and Scott's point , what's gonna happen in the playoffs or in a district game when these kids are gonna have to play 4 quarters for the first time and the team they are playing are conditioned and use to playing 4 quarters ? They are gonna get wore down I really don't get the idea of resting kids until they are needed in the district games . If they are injured absolutely just like raceland has done with taking Nathaniel off defense until he healed and now that he's getting better we seen at linebacker last game a non district game

If kids aren't conditioned by now they never will be. If your using the live games to get into shape then your going about practice all wrong because that is one of the things practice is for. The flip side of your statement is, how many of those kids who are playing both sides of the ball, game after game getting pounded time after time are going to be healthy or 100% or even playing at all by the time district and the playoffs comes along. I don't know how else to explain this and apparently some have never heard of platooning. We don't have a large enough roster to platoon the whole team but we do platoon our defensive line geez! Go ask every team we have played this year or go watch some film of our games. If you go to this game in two weeks you will see what I'm talking about. We have a smaller speedy defensive line that plays between the 20's and in must pass and a larger one for the red zone. That larger line is better at stopping the run. Go ask the Greenup coach why every time he got in or near the red zone why he started passing. If you go to the game in two weeks look at the jersey numbers and size of the players on the defensive line very closely then compare what you see on the field between the 20's and in must pass situations and what you see in the red zone. I'm not making this stuff up! Holy crap we can't be the only team in the mountains who platoon with a part of their team or have a power lineup and fines lineup on their defensive line. I don't know maybe I'm not explaining it right or something.
Dawg fight but lawrence co will pull away by 12
Do-double-gg Wrote:If kids aren't conditioned by now they never will be. If your using the live games to get into shape then your going about practice all wrong because that is one of the things practice is for. The flip side of your statement is, how many of those kids who are playing both sides of the ball, game after game getting pounded time after time are going to be healthy or 100% or even playing at all by the time district and the playoffs comes along. I don't know how else to explain this and apparently some have never heard of platooning. We don't have a large enough roster to platoon the whole team but we do platoon our defensive line geez! Go ask every team we have played this year or go watch some film of our games. If you go to this game in two weeks you will see what I'm talking about. We have a smaller speedy defensive line that plays between the 20's and in must pass and a larger one for the red zone. That larger line is better at stopping the run. Go ask the Greenup coach why every time he got in or near the red zone why he started passing. If you go to the game in two weeks look at the jersey numbers and size of the players on the defensive line very closely then compare what you see on the field between the 20's and in must pass situations and what you see in the red zone. I'm not making this stuff up! Holy crap we can't be the only team in the mountains who platoon with a part of their team or have a power lineup and fines lineup on their defensive line. I don't know maybe I'm not explaining it right or something.

You can't simulate game conditioning , there is a big difference in being in good shape and being in game shape so yes there are plenty of kids that are in good shape but not in good game shape big difference
I dont think its going to matter who you line up on the DL by the time this game rolls around, I think Raceland's offense will be clicking and LC will need all they got. Not saying we wont, but idk if platooning works against a team with good balance, especially when the opposing team understands the difference in the two. If one is significantly smaller, whats stopping a team from checking to a run or pass?
I haven't talked to the coach or asked why he changes the defensive line so much during a game, but it's pretty much common sense. It serves a two fold purpose. We are keeping people from getting winded and tired and both lines are good at a certain thing. During the Fairview game we had the smaller faster line on the field almost exclusively. That line and defense had the Eagle QB running for his life just about the whole game and sacked him several times, he was never able to really step into his pass and make an accurate throw. In that game all the big kids played one way on the offensive line for the most part. At some point we will run into a team who is strong enough at the run that the small line will be replaced with the bigger group and they will probably be on the field more and I would say that will start with Raceland in two weeks, but the coach could surprise me. Just about every time we put the larger lineup in Friday night the Greenup coach refused to run against it and would start calling pass plays. The few times he did run against it we were meeting the ball carrier at the line and a few times dropped em for a loss. The biggest thing that hurt that smaller line with Greenups run is that they are young and Greenup started running a lot of misdirection stuff and those younger kids got lost at times and once the Greenup coach saw this I don't think he did another play the rest of the night that didn't have some misdirection in it.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I dont think its going to matter who you line up on the DL by the time this game rolls around, I think Raceland's offense will be clicking and LC will need all they got. Not saying we wont, but idk if platooning works against a team with good balance, especially when the opposing team understands the difference in the two. If one is significantly smaller, whats stopping a team from checking to a run or pass?
the secondary is what will stop them.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I dont think its going to matter who you line up on the DL by the time this game rolls around, I think Raceland's offense will be clicking and LC will need all they got. Not saying we wont, but idk if platooning works against a team with good balance, especially when the opposing team understands the difference in the two. If one is significantly smaller, whats stopping a team from checking to a run or pass?

Scotty I'm serious, go to the Boyd at Lawrence thread. The two lines are significantly different in size. The first few times Friday night that we put the big line in Greenup tried to run in the red zone and they kept loosing yards. From that point on they either were forced on down and distance to pass or they would start passing as soon as they saw that line come out on the field but it didn't help because our defensive secondary never changes. We have our best athletes in the secondary. We picked the Greenup QB like three times and almost had a few more and a few of those picks were almost a pick6. Some teams with a large enough roster do this with their whole team.
And your the ones complaining about playing fresh son and sophomores , platooning is good idea but that's not what was said . I well tell you this Raceland platoons but not any of the freshman see the field and I can only think of 3 sophmores that play at all two are special team players and the third is a receiver
Like I said, we don't just do it for the sake of platooning. We are also a little thin when it comes to experienced lineman who have good size. One injury to a key lineman could make or break our season. We already have one of our big strong lineman out for the season JT Hall. Kid was a beast and very strong and would block all the way down the field but now he is out for good and needs a shoulder surgery.
If the same Raceland team shows up in Louisa that showed up in Lucasville Friday night, the Rams will repeat the beat down they handed out to the Bulldogs last year.
Lawrence Co. is nowhere near in the same league as Lucasville Valley.

Rams 45
Bulldogs 13
Boys I have heard all this talk before and it always ends up a close game or Raceland winning big. Lawrence never seems to look as good against Raceland as they do through the other games in the season. Idk why. Even in 13 when they won 38-35. They looked better against Belfry. Idk if its where we always meet in midseason or what. But we hear this same talk every year so its hard for me to buy into it this year. Just like its hard for many to buy into Raceland posters saying this could be "our year", because ppl hear it every season. 3 pages in and this game is still 2 weeks away. This thing could get ugly.lol
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I agree 100%. I noticed that We have been working somethings in the offensive line as well. Our power package is something we havent really used much. I think you will see it more as the weather turns cooler and the games will start to slow down a bit in regaurds to the lace of our offense.

In reference to Blaze's confusion, I am also in agreement. Predistrict games should allow you to focus on fine tuning, facing opponents better or atleast similar to, what you will see in district play/post season. Imo, the only teams on LCs schedule that csn do that are Montgomery Co and Raceland. No one else is anywhere remotely close to competition they need to see. And speaking in terms of their offensive "potential", imo they need to be getting these kids used to playing together. I know T. Dalton has been banged up and R. Dalton just became eligible, but like I said in regaurds to Raceland's offense before the Valley game, is if you dont atleast have your system figured out and rotations down by weeks 4 and 5, your in trouble.

This has happened over the last few years in Lawrence County. Going into the Raceland game we always here about how great Timmy is, how much incredible potential the offense has, how many weapons, how big they are upfront and since LC's 38-35 win (due to i believe 3 or 4 Raceland turnovers...BUT LC had to force those TOs so im not giving excuses), its been the same deal. After the Raceland game, LC goes on a downward slide, gets smacked by Belfry in the regular season, then gives them a ball game for 2 or even 3 quarters of their post season matchup, only to lose heavily anyway. Im not knocking LC, always loved and respected their program, and Jarred Parker was my WR coach in HS, but its hard to ignore that pattern and i believe it all comes down to coaching. There are better guys in their staff this year so maybe that makes a difference. Otherwise, I expect a close game, or Raceland by 2-4 scores and history releats itself for the Bulldogs.

You must not know about our district, Greenup runs the same offensive as belfry run between the tackles, they also run the same defense 8 in the box two corners 1 saftey, now I am not saying Greenup is belfry. MC also plays the same system as belfry, as does powell co. Fairview and raceland are more like pike co. Central, sheldon clark trys to run a similar system as pike central. And I really don't know why we play boyd co, just to get off to a good start I am assuming. I don't think after the greenup game you see that small defensive line in the belfry game.

I did not understand late in 4th why you would not put you bigs in and try to pin greenup back deep on their side of the field. All night they never used the bigs until greenup got inside the 30 of lc.

And the smaller line are the starters they have started every game this year. The bigger line was used more this game than any game this year.
Just got the official stats for the greenup game lc had 281 yards of offence 173 on the ground on 28 attempts. And 108 passing. Greenup had 241 yards of offense 222 on the ground on 51 attempts and 19 passing.

Greenup #10 92 yards on 15 carries, #25 58 yards on 22 carries, #6 40 yards on 7 carries, and #7 32 yards on 7 carries.

Lc 6.71 yards per attempt
Gc 4.3 yards per attempt

Far cry from what has been posted on here but still to much.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Boys I have heard all this talk before and it always ends up a close game or Raceland winning big. Lawrence never seems to look as good against Raceland as they do through the other games in the season. Idk why. Even in 13 when they won 38-35. They looked better against Belfry. Idk if its where we always meet in midseason or what. But we hear this same talk every year so its hard for me to buy into it this year. Just like its hard for many to buy into Raceland posters saying this could be "our year", because ppl hear it every season. 3 pages in and this game is still 2 weeks away. This thing could get ugly.lol

You have to love two fan bases like lc and raceland we will both talk smack for the next two weeks to and about each other while never getting personal. Raceland has a great program and the fan base is a big part of that, kids want to play there because they know they have the support of that fan base.

Now some trash talk, you don't have that qb back, you don't have Dixon, you don't have messer, you don't have a chance!!

LAWRENCE COUNTY 35
RACELAND 14
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Kind of mine and Scott's point , what's gonna happen in the playoffs or in a district game when these kids are gonna have to play 4 quarters for the first time and the team they are playing are conditioned and use to playing 4 quarters ? They are gonna get wore down I really don't get the idea of resting kids until they are needed in the district games . If they are injured absolutely just like raceland has done with taking Nathaniel off defense until he healed and now that he's getting better we seen at linebacker last game a non district game

I worried about this as well but I realize that the last few years has kinda went the same way so all the new things we are doing different this year may or may not make a difference but I think it is worth a shot. If it doesn't work than we will be no worse off than we was last year and it will be back to the drawing board. Regardless of the outcome of this game I hope it is a good ,clean game so that LC and Raceland will continue playing each other.
Here's the box score from Daily Independent, obviously there's a huge discrepancy between the paper's official numbers and Lawrence County's "official" numbers. If I was Lawrence County I would probably try to cook those numbers as well, especially after it was repeatedly said that Lawrence would run and pass all over Greenup. Just my observation though.

LAWRENCE CO. 7 6 0 6 — 19

GREENUP CO. 0 15 0 0 — 15

FIRST QUARTER

LC — Robert Dalton 13 pass from Grant Kiser (Austin Chaffins kick), 7:20

SECOND QUARTER

GC — Jared Hunt 6 run (Caden Warnock run), 5:45

LC — Zach Keesee 21 run (kick failed), 1:40

GC — Ryan Byrd 15 pass from Hunt (Eli Coldiron kick), 0:00

FOURTH QUARTER

LC — Chaffins 10 pass from Kiser (run failed), 0:28.1

LC GC

First downs 16 18

Rushes-yards 23-162 69-492

Passes 0-0-1 INT 0-0-3 INT

Passing yards 89 20

Punting 1-14.0 0-0.0

Fumbles-lost 3-2 3-1

Penalties-yards 8-70 7-75

Return yards 87 0

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Lawrence Co. rushing: Mosley 9-59, Keesee 5-37, Kiser 8-47, Richardson 1-19.

Greenup Co. rushing:Byrd 29-149, Wright 9-20, Hunt 10-40, Warnock 21-134.

Lawrence Co. passing: Kiser 7-19-89.

Greenup Co. passing: Hunt 2-6-20.

Lawrence Co. receiving: J. Johnson 3-45, Richardson 1-13, Keesee 2-15, Schaeffer 1-6, Chaffins 1-10.

Greenup Co. receiving: Clarke 1-5, Byrd 2-15.
Not lc numbers khsaa numbers. When did the ahsland newspaper become the official record keeper for high school football games.
dawg fan Wrote:Not lc numbers khsaa numbers. When did the ahsland newspaper become the official record keeper for high school football games.
there does seem to be a huge difference in stats. i believe the adi only listed 1 punt for lc and i am sure both teams had more than 1 punt. the stat keeper for lc has been doing it for awhile so i am perplexed by the big difference. neither lc or gc has turned in official stats to khsaa or if they , it has not yet been posted. but being at the game i would say gc beat us every where but the score board. lc allowed gc to run amok in the 1st half but they only had 2 scores. lc shut them out in 2nd half and came away with the win.
LC coaches don't care about stats they let gc run to red zone then put in boys in stop them from scoring watch the game on hudl you can see what they were doing
What I dont understand is, why let them run all the way down the field? If you can stop them at the LOS, get them for a loss, and completely shut them down in the redzone, why not do it when they are in their own territory?

Everyone keeps saying "no one seems to understand that LC is platooning". I get that, understand it, moving on. My question is why would you "let" a team smack you in the mouth for 10 plays and 60 yards at a time, then say "okay, thats enough" and put an end to it? That type of stuff gets you beat against better teams. That strategy will provide a "W" for the Rams. Raceland is starting to find itself offensively and theres been some changes made in the secondary thats going to fix our issues we had last week. See u all next week.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Just not sold on LC's defense. Raceland gave up -2 yards to Greenup in rushing and Greenup put up 400 yds rushing and had 2 guys go for over 120 yards. Raceland's pass d is suspect right now, but it will get ironed out in the next 2 weeks. Lawrence looks better right now than a year ago, lots of weapons, but I like Raceland in this one. But we gotta deal with Portsmouth West this week. See u all on here in this friday night and the smack talking can begin!lol

Where are you getting your stats? Greenup didn't have 400 yards of offense, let alone 400 yards of rushing. I took a look at the stats, they had around 200 yards of rushing and about 280 yards total.
And the newspaper stats don't have Robert Dalton's catches either. So, guess their stats aren't "official".
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Where are you getting your stats? Greenup didn't have 400 yards of offense, let alone 400 yards of rushing. I took a look at the stats, they had around 200 yards of rushing and about 280 yards total.

Just went off of ADI
Bottomline is Raceland's defense was Better stopping Greenups offense than Lawrence County's. Raceland held Greenup to less than 100 yards in the game. It only took both teams (Raceland and LC) one score to win, looking at the stats, Raceland is a better defense. Looking at offensive numbers/stats/roster etc, LC has a few more atheletes and had a little more success throwing against GC than Raceland. Now, having said that, imo, the only stat that matters is 200-400 yards and -4 and less than 100 total yards. Regaurdless of who or what platoon was on the field, Raceland is much better upfront than Greenup is, especially with the changes that have been made. Thats why I think Raceland wins this game.

Imo, platooning a "run def" and a "pass def" is nuts. If you have depth upfront, why not platoon two balanced front 7s? The key to good defense is playing balanced. Meaning coverage, pass rush, and run stop are all capable of being done out of your base defense (outside of situational coverage changes and blitz packages). Sounds like the staff has the LC offense figured out, but defensively they are confusing to me.
I've got a lot of respect for the Rams. Year in, year out, they play a very challenging schedule to prepare them for the playoffs. Great fan support, as well.
I have been to every lc game this year I have not seen any platoon system. Lc has startrd the same defensive linemen all year run or pass. Now if a team gets down in the red zone lc brings in some bigger lineman but not all ways. Lc wants their linemen to take up blockers and the linebackers fill the gaps and make the plays.
This should be a really good game.
I wonder how there is such a difference in yardage , I'm sure there's always some difference but over 200 yard difference , somone is trying to make it look a lot different than it actually was
should be a good game and I like the dogs but im going to say this one could go to raceland they played west carter well and west carter played powell about the same as lawerence county its going to be close so we`ll see. :popcorn:
dawg fan Wrote:I have been to every lc game this year I have not seen any platoon system. Lc has startrd the same defensive linemen all year run or pass. Now if a team gets down in the red zone lc brings in some bigger lineman but not all ways. Lc wants their linemen to take up blockers and the linebackers fill the gaps and make the plays.

Now that makes more sense , a lot if not all teams add beef in short yardage situations , but to have two totally different defensive lines one for pass and one for run at the high school or heck at the college level is just not heard of
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next