•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 2015
I agree with the blocking issue. Some back run first and see later, Baker is a see first runner. He needs to have a split second to see. This is why he will excel at the next level if put in space. If Ashland cant throw then teams stack the box and run blitz gaps and he doesnt have space. If there is a bright side moving forward, last nights awards were junior dominated including linemen and there seems to be some momentum from selling out at Highlands.
If Ashland would put Baker 7 or 9 yards deep behind the qb and let him read and find holes, I think he would be in a better position to take the ball down the field. This has seemed to work for many good backs from high school to the pros. That, coupled with a steady passing game would, in my opinion, put this team deep into the playoffs next year.
I would like to put him in motion and empty the backfield and force defenses to try and adjust to the changing formation. I would think you could create either a mismatch for him or create an unbalance of the field that could be used in your favor.
With Long's departure, does Ashland have anyone capable of taking some pressure off of Baker? Also, did the Tomcats do anything differently against Highlands that they can use to build on for next year?
Ashland has Roberts who will be pretty good. If he is in the backfield then that eliminates him from the QB talk. They will have some good pieces, just got to figure out where they work the best. If they can take anything away from the Highlands game it is the mentality to compete. They could have folded it up when Highlands scored 16 unanswered points. At that point, for some reason they played with urgency and passion, and Highlands didnt pick up a first down in the third quarter and did not score offensively in either the second or third quarters. Offensively the have to be able to do more than hope Baker hits dingers.
washed up Wrote:I would like to put him in motion and empty the backfield and force defenses to try and adjust to the changing formation. I would think you could create either a mismatch for him or create an unbalance of the field that could be used in your favor.

The only thing with this would be finding someone to get the ball to the playmakers in space.
T-CATS Wrote:Roberts or Dowdy at QB. Kourtlin Brown in for Long? O'Byran will play D wherever they need him. Must develop the Line.

Kurtlen Brown is now a Fairview Eagle
Good luck to the young man.
Has this changed?
I don't see Long leaving as a big deal. Ride the horse that got you their and build your offense around Baker.

Biggest issue is do they get better up front on both sides of the ball. Without improvement in the lines it's going to be a struggle.
Experience will help greatly. They return several of this years starters that has little to no experience. Ashland needs to gain 4 linemen that can contribute. A little offensive diversity would help the run blitzes and gap control defenses.
Are the rumors true that Baker is leaving as well with long and Brown?
Good to see Kurtlen Brown walking the halls of Ashland schools. He will fill in good for Jake Long. Good luck to Jake, we will miss you!
I think Ashland will be fine next year! I just hope they carry the intensity that they had in the Highlands game into next year!!!!
hardcore1 Wrote:Are the rumors true that Baker is leaving as well with long and Brown?

Who said anything about Baker leaving? Are you trying to start something?Confusedecret:
TOMCAT NATION Wrote:Good to see Kurtlen Brown walking the halls of Ashland schools. He will fill in good for Jake Long. Good luck to Jake, we will miss you!

Wth? Talon said he was officially a Fairview Eagle earlier this week. So which is it?
TOMCAT NATION Wrote:Good to see Kurtlen Brown walking the halls of Ashland schools. He will fill in good for Jake Long. Good luck to Jake, we will miss you!

Glad Kurtlen is getting a chance. He actullay came to Fairview last week , but Fairview's principle Eric Hale is a hypocrite & told Kurtlen on Monday that even though he enrolled last week he was denying his enrollment because he lives in the same exact place Hale lived in growing up while going to Fairview which is Hillcrest . Not to mention we have other kids going to FHS that lives in Hillcrest . Its well known Eric Hale is in the back pocket of board member Scott Mcintyre whose son is a mediocre player , & is worried Kurtlen will take playing time from his son . Cant wait until next years election so McIntyre will be gone from the board .
Thats crazy. Things seem very sensitive and in disoray af fairview. Hope they get everything back on track.
Talon Wrote:Glad Kurtlen is getting a chance. He actullay came to Fairview last week , but Fairview's principle Eric Hale is a hypocrite & told Kurtlen on Monday that even though he enrolled last week he was denying his enrollment because he lives in the same exact place Hale lived in growing up while going to Fairview which is Hillcrest . Not to mention we have other kids going to FHS that lives in Hillcrest . Its well known Eric Hale is in the back pocket of board member Scott Mcintyre whose son is a mediocre player , & is worried Kurtlen will take playing time from his son . Cant wait until next years election so McIntyre will be gone from the board .

Is this the same Brown who played and CK and Vinson as a middle schooler? What was his first year at Fairview?
Or mr hale dosnt want the possible baggage that brown would bring to the school and the rest of the students.Could be he is putting all students first instead of one students second,third fourth or what ever chance we are on now.I say good for mr hale.
Huh?

talon Wrote:the saga is over . Kurtlen brown is officially now a fairview eagle ! That will be a big help as a rb/wr/db especially with his speed .

tomcat nation Wrote:kurtlen brown is attending ashland schools as of today!!
Blau Vogel Wrote:Huh?

He was originally let in, but then denied enrollment in about 48 hrs. None of it makes sense. I feel its going to be an ongoing issue.
Yes that was at Fairview but he is enrolled at Ashland now and attending classes.
Baker isn't going anywhere and glad Brown is along for what should be a very good season next year.
TOMCAT NATION Wrote:Yes that was at Fairview but he is enrolled at Ashland now and attending classes.

Hope he stays in one place from this point on. Hate to see what happened to Donte Hendricks happen to him. Donte finally got enrolled at Paintsville only to sit out the first 6 games of his senior year , waiting to become eligible. He is a great athete, but it showed that he was out of sorts with their offense, never really seem to gell against good competition, but it wasnt because of his or the other kids ability, it was a lack of reps and game speed situations, imo. What grade is Brown in?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Hope he stays in one place from this point on. Hate to see what happened to Donte Hendricks happen to him. Donte finally got enrolled at Paintsville only to sit out the first 6 games of his senior year , waiting to become eligible. He is a great athete, but it showed that he was out of sorts with their offense, never really seem to gell against good competition, but it wasnt because of his or the other kids ability, it was a lack of reps and game speed situations, imo. What grade is Brown in?

Brown will be a JR next football season
With the situation Ashland is in with personnel, the only offense I can see them really excelling at is the spread offense. It's really great because it can set up 1-on-1 situations all over the field. It allows you to attack any defense horizontally and vertically with high percentage passes, which is the only passes Ashland should be making anyway. The running attack with this offense is what can get explosive. Because of all the different formations and motions you can put into play, the defense will be forced to cover and defend the entire field. The different spread formations will ultimately limit the number of players that will be in the box. It is also a great offense for young inexperienced lineman as well. The spread will only call for a base, simple pass protection that will allow those lineman to get more and more confident with it. Ultimately it will stretch the defense vertically to open up the short passing game and the running game. Short screens, draws, quick game, and hot routes will stop any blitzing issues they may throw your way. After you can get your quarterback to understand reading the secondary, this offense is perfect for the personnel that Ashland has coming back and will create enough space for Baker to make big plays. Defenses will not be able to double-up on him due to the options spread out all over the field, and there will always be a dump route within every play for any blitzes they may try. Any high school defense would have trouble defending against it with the right personnel. I have seen teams that have tried to run it and failed though. However, the only time I have really seen that happen has been with teams that have a running back that has been taught to run only vertically and never stop your feet. Those running backs are great for other offenses, but like somebody else said, baker needs space for them to score and this is really the only option with what they have returning upfront.
baseball1974 Wrote:With the situation Ashland is in with personnel, the only offense I can see them really excelling at is the spread offense. It's really great because it can set up 1-on-1 situations all over the field. It allows you to attack any defense horizontally and vertically with high percentage passes, which is the only passes Ashland should be making anyway. The running attack with this offense is what can get explosive. Because of all the different formations and motions you can put into play, the defense will be forced to cover and defend the entire field. The different spread formations will ultimately limit the number of players that will be in the box. It is also a great offense for young inexperienced lineman as well. The spread will only call for a base, simple pass protection that will allow those lineman to get more and more confident with it. Ultimately it will stretch the defense vertically to open up the short passing game and the running game. Short screens, draws, quick game, and hot routes will stop any blitzing issues they may throw your way. After you can get your quarterback to understand reading the secondary, this offense is perfect for the personnel that Ashland has coming back and will create enough space for Baker to make big plays. Defenses will not be able to double-up on him due to the options spread out all over the field, and there will always be a dump route within every play for any blitzes they may try. Any high school defense would have trouble defending against it with the right personnel. I have seen teams that have tried to run it and failed though. However, the only time I have really seen that happen has been with teams that have a running back that has been taught to run only vertically and never stop your feet. Those running backs are great for other offenses, but like somebody else said, baker needs space for them to score and this is really the only option with what they have returning upfront.

What i have said since baker was a frosh. Too many weapons for them to be running a zone with no viable passing game. Spread is the way to go.
If this Brown boy has completed his venue shopping and landed at Ashland, shouldn't he be required to sit out one year from the date of his enrollment before becoming eligible? Or is there an Ashland exemption for such matters?
Any word on Ashlands schedule next year?
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next