•  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region
HCS Wrote:I think it's one of the most common misconceptions that there are numerous great players walking the halls at all schools.
If they aren't playing, that means they probably aren't willing to put in the work to be a good player, much less a great one.
I've seen coaches every fall think they have a great athlete in another sport, football or baseball usually, who will come in as a junior or senior and help the team. I think coach Shackleford had a few of those this fall at Middlesboro, from what I heard. They almost always don't actually show up when the work begins, or they quit early in the season, and then you have to rework your rotation.
It's easy to say you "could have" been great, and it's the "coach's fault" I'm not there.
I've watched these kids for years, basketball, football and baseball. But you are exactly right when you say all these players from other sports told him they would come and play, and that is what he counted on and pushed others to the side. But, it is the same kids that do this in every sport, and as long as he has been an assistant, he knows this. Don't count your chickens before they hatch and don't ignore any kid that wants to play for you because you are waiting for the other ones who are good at other sports. Just because you can kick ass in football does not mean you will do the same in another sport. I think in this area where there is nothing for kids except running the streets or drugs, coaches should encourage more kids to play ball. Politics is a small town is bad, but it has been the same in Middlesboro for years and years. Who you know and who you are. Now there have been a few that grew up with nothing, and turned out to be the best players they had. Instead of trying to help them get to the next level, when they're done with them, they're done. It is a parents responsibility to encourage their child as well, but that doesn't happen much either.
Basketball is tough - you only have five starting jobs and 15 or so on the varsity.
If the player "pushed aside" was behind his starters and behind the football players who may have been athletic enough to help a little, he's probably better off going with freshmen.
He already has seven or eight in grades 11-12 combined. That's probably too many if you're rebuilding. He sure didn't need any more if they aren't as good as what he has now.
Trying to win one or two more games this year, when you're rebuilding, isn't as important as getting some young guys experience.
HCS Wrote:Basketball is tough - you only have five starting jobs and 15 or so on the varsity.
If the player "pushed aside" was behind his starters and behind the football players who may have been athletic enough to help a little, he's probably better off going with freshmen.
He already has seven or eight in grades 11-12 combined. That's probably too many if you're rebuilding. He sure didn't need any more if they aren't as good as what he has now.
Trying to win one or two more games this year, when you're rebuilding, isn't as important as getting some young guys experience.
Very well said. I just like to see kids get involved and given a chance. Sometimes they might surprise you:thanks:
Look Coach Shackleford has been through the halls trying to get kids to play. This is the most kids the basketball team has had out in years. This is a very young team. They will only get better. I'm so glad you can run IEP addresses and find out who you people are that talk smack about these coaches. You are most definitely a parent and have had many issues with many coaches so anything you say on here nobody is going to pay attention to. @Number One Fan
Must not ask her baby to play.
JacketFan4Life Wrote:Look Coach Shackleford has been through the halls trying to get kids to play. This is the most kids the basketball team has had out in years. This is a very young team. They will only get better. I'm so glad you can run IEP addresses and find out who you people are that talk smack about these coaches. You are most definitely a parent and have had many issues with many coaches so anything you say on here nobody is going to pay attention to. @Number One Fan

I agree he did all he could to get some help.
They really aren't young though with five seniors and five juniors from the last roster I saw. That's actually the oldest team in the district. They just don't have a lot of experience.
Any good games coming up this week from the region that would be travel worthy??
GJ Smith classic at South Laurel sat.

12:30 whitley co vs east jess
2:00 south laurel vs montgomery co
3:30 SW vs rowan co
5:00 clay co vs madison central
6:30 knox co vs henry clay
8:00 north laurel vs perry central
Great chance for some early evaluations.
JacketFan4Life Wrote:Look Coach Shackleford has been through the halls trying to get kids to play. This is the most kids the basketball team has had out in years. This is a very young team. They will only get better. I'm so glad you can run IEP addresses and find out who you people are that talk smack about these coaches. You are most definitely a parent and have had many issues with many coaches so anything you say on here nobody is going to pay attention to. @Number One Fan
You are out of your mind. If you ran the IP address then you know exactly who I am and you are not the FBI. And if you are such a Jacket fan, you would know there are not that many varsity players, but several on JV. There is not a lot of experience. Yes, you're damn right I have issues with coaches, I do not like any kid pushed aside or talking out of both sides of their mouth. I know several kids that have played basketball for years. Were they talked to? No. But they support the Jackets anyway. One has a brother who plays. Do not act like you know anything about anything. This crap makes me sick, thinking you know something that you don't. And no he didn't go up the halls asking everyone to play, maybe football players after their season, but that's about it.
Number One Fan Wrote:You are out of your mind. If you ran the IP address then you know exactly who I am and you are not the FBI. And if you are such a Jacket fan, you would know there are not that many varsity players, but several on JV. There is not a lot of experience. Yes, you're damn right I have issues with coaches, I do not like any kid pushed aside or talking out of both sides of their mouth. I know several kids that have played basketball for years. Were they talked to? No. But they support the Jackets anyway. One has a brother who plays. Do not act like you know anything about anything. This crap makes me sick, thinking you know something that you don't. And no he didn't go up the halls asking everyone to play, maybe football players after their season, but that's about it.
Yes I know exactly who you are that's why I take anything you say with a grain of salt. Just a parent who's baby doesn't get exactly what he wants mommy comes complaining. There are 12 freshmen on that team so yeah they are young. And yes he most certainly went to the middle school and high school getting kids to come out. Yes kids were talked to. The kids that have came out year after year and ended up quitting I'd say he didn't talk to cause who wants that on their team. He has 29 kids out counting Varsity and JV. Oh I know more than you think I know about a lot of things. I think you are the one that needs to quit acting like you know anything cause I know who you are and you know nothing.
HCS Wrote:I agree he did all he could to get some help.
They really aren't young though with five seniors and five juniors from the last roster I saw. That's actually the oldest team in the district. They just don't have a lot of experience.
But they also have 12 freshmen on the team as well.
It doesn't work that way. If you have five seniors and five juniors you aren't young, even if you've got 30 freshmen behind them.
If all the older guys play, the freshmen won't get any experience.
If the older guys don't play, they usually cause problems and set a bad example for the younger ones.
Number One Fan Wrote:And if you are such a Jacket fan, you would know there are not that many varsity players, but several on JV. There is not a lot of experience. Yes, you're damn right I have issues with coaches, I do not like any kid pushed aside or talking out of both sides of their mouth. I know several kids that have played basketball for years. Were they talked to? No. But they support the Jackets anyway. One has a brother who plays. Do not act like you know anything about anything. This crap makes me sick, thinking you know something that you don't. And no he didn't go up the halls asking everyone to play, maybe football players after their season, but that's about it.

I don't get your point. There are 15 varsity spots and Middlesboro already has 10 who are either seniors and juniors. Do you want all 15 to be in the top two classes?
It's not PE class. Everyone can't play. I would have kept two seniors and maybe two juniors and let some of the younger guys play to get some experience.
JacketFan4Life Wrote:Yes I know exactly who you are that's why I take anything you say with a grain of salt. Just a parent who's baby doesn't get exactly what he wants mommy comes complaining. There are 12 freshmen on that team so yeah they are young. And yes he most certainly went to the middle school and high school getting kids to come out. Yes kids were talked to. The kids that have came out year after year and ended up quitting I'd say he didn't talk to cause who wants that on their team. He has 29 kids out counting Varsity and JV. Oh I know more than you think I know about a lot of things. I think you are the one that needs to quit acting like you know anything cause I know who you are and you know nothing.
No, you don't know who I am, and I really don't think you know anything about anything. If I were who you thought I was and I thought you were singling out my child, we would have a big problem. My son played basketball his freshman and sophomore years and that was about 2011-2012, I think. Just because I have a problem with sports programs does not make it any of your business. You don't, so cheer on JacketFan4Life and stay off my post. Middlesboro should not be embarrassed in any sport they play, and it is this coach crap that causes most of it. I hate to lose and I don't appreciate your innuendos and assumptions.:lame:
Number One Fan Wrote:No, you don't know who I am, and I really don't think you know anything about anything. If I were who you thought I was and I thought you were singling out my child, we would have a big problem. My son played basketball his freshman and sophomore years and that was about 2011-2012, I think. Just because I have a problem with sports programs does not make it any of your business. You don't, so cheer on JacketFan4Life and stay off my post. Middlesboro should not be embarrassed in any sport they play, and it is this coach crap that causes most of it. I hate to lose and I don't appreciate your innuendos and assumptions.:lame:
Like I said before your IP address has been ran and it came back to exactly who I thought you were to begin with. All the coaches and kids parents that you talk about know who you are too. So I suggest you stop running your mouth or you are gonna have a lot of problems on your hands. Btw this isn't your post this is a thread so I can say what I want. I can call you out on here if you don't think I know who you are but you would just deny it as usual. This coach has not caused any crap unless you're referring to your baby boy not getting to play much for this coach his freshman and sophomore year because he kept quitting. As I said before nobody listens to anything you say because they all know how you are. Nobody likes you in Middlesboro because all you do is run your mouth. So best believe I know a whole lot more than you!
JacketFan4Life Wrote:Like I said before your IP address has been ran and it came back to exactly who I thought you were to begin with. All the coaches and kids parents that you talk about know who you are too. So I suggest you stop running your mouth or you are gonna have a lot of problems on your hands. Btw this isn't your post this is a thread so I can say what I want. I can call you out on here if you don't think I know who you are but you would just deny it as usual. This coach has not caused any crap unless you're referring to your baby boy not getting to play much for this coach his freshman and sophomore year because he kept quitting. As I said before nobody listens to anything you say because they all know how you are. Nobody likes you in Middlesboro because all you do is run your mouth. So best believe I know a whole lot more than you!
You're a joke. What I really think you are is a kid, maybe jealous of another kid. Calm down, and you will get playing time, maybe you can help this fantastic coach win. Call me out! Let's see how well you can run an IP address.
1. Clay County
2. Knox Central
3. North Laurel
4. Williamsburg
5. Corbin
SageGate Wrote:1. Clay County
2. Knox Central
3. North Laurel
4. Williamsburg
5. Corbin
Clays got a great basketball team. I think Corbin has a solid team. I think I would rank Corbin a little higher, I saw them play and was impressed.
CC... then everybody else.
Number One Fan Wrote:Clays got a great basketball team. I think Corbin has a solid team. I think I would rank Corbin a little higher, I saw them play and was impressed.
This is a joke. Williamsburg was horrible last year. They caught Knox Central on a bad night, and now everyone acts as if they are some great tram. Give me a break! They will not beat Corbin.
I know their best player was hurt all of last year. You could very well be right, they may not beat Corbin. I know Williamsburg returned everyone and got the Massey kid this year as well. Corbin will be very tough though
Flash154 Wrote:This is a joke. Williamsburg was horrible last year. They caught Knox Central on a bad night, and now everyone acts as if they are some great tram. Give me a break! They will not beat Corbin.
I don't think I said one thing about Williamsburg?????
Number One Fan Wrote:I don't think I said one thing about Williamsburg?????
The rankings posted have them above Corbin--ludicrous.
Flash154 Wrote:The rankings posted have them above Corbin--ludicrous.

Corbin beat Williamsburg by 4 in double overtime in last year's district finals. Corbin lost three starters and Williamsburg lost one.
I could see someone picking Corbin higher, but I don't see how it's ludicrous to rank Williamsburg higher with a senior-dominated team coming back.
Region as a whole very weak.
I heard South was wanting to move up several of this years 8th graders? I know they had a couple nice 7th grade players in last year region tournament at Whitley Co. They had a skinny dark headed kid that was a baller. He had above average ball handling and could shoot the ball long range with consistence? 2 more very athletic players? I could see them maybe pulling them up? I don't know if they could handle physical part of playing up? South must be short on numbers?
Harlan Co may be the most underrated team In the 13th... Big game tomorrow night vs Knox
64SUR Wrote:My early top 5 teams rank.

1. Clay County ( team to beat right now )
2. Knox county central
3. North Laurel
4. Harlan County
5. Williamsburg

my new ranking up to 7 teams now.

1. Clay County ( Still the team to beat )
2. North Laurel
3. Knox County Central
4. Corbin
5. South Laurel ( look out south coming )
6. Williamsburg ( 2-0 )
7. Harlan County
1. Clay Co.
2. Knox Central
3. North Laurel
4. Corbin
5. Harlan Co.
6. South Laurel
7. Williamsburg
8. Whitley Co.
9. Jackson Co.
10. Pineville