Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County 2014
pjdoug Wrote:I know Whitley County starts practice monday and have a couple super bowl champs on campus for a football camp for grades 3-8. will the team be going away for any camps?

I was curious about that as well. Where does Chapman like to go?
Under Campbell, they usually went to Gtown.
Under Black, they started going to Wofford.
Chappell
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was curious about that as well. Where does Chapman like to go?

EKU maybe?
WhyLie Wrote:Chappell

That's what happens after you comment on Chapman at PCC and then come over here and talk about Chappell at Whitley.
I had a 64 moment.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That's what happens after you comment on Chapman at PCC and then come over here and talk about Chappell at Whitley.
I had a 64 moment.

I had a headache and didn't even notice you typed Chapman. I've been reading too many posts from 64:biglmao:
practice starts monday Smile
^
I always dreaded the last free weekend when I was playing.
Monday always started hell week.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I always dreaded the last free weekend when I was playing.
Monday always started hell week.

they used to run you to death instead of teaching you how to play football Smile
pjdoug Wrote:they used to run you to death instead of teaching you how to play football Smile

Running you to death with no water breaks made you tough lol....
OldJacket Wrote:Running you to death with no water breaks made you tough lol....

cant disagree with that lol
any 7 on 7 for Whitley?
OldJacket Wrote:Running you to death with no water breaks made you tough lol....

That's what they always said. Who knew that would turn out to be completely bogus? Never once had a doubt in my mind while throwing up Confusednicker:
practice starts today Smile
I wonder how the new kids are looking...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I wonder how the new kids are looking...

looking good from what I hear. excitement is in the air in Whitley County:letsparty
no Whitley County fans on here with updates? Smile
Looks like Whitley Co. will be a very young team. Almost half the team are freshmen.

“We had 45 players out, but sometimes numbers can be misleading, too,” he said. “We’re still exceptionally young with 22 of the 45 being freshmen. The big question is how many of those kids are prepared. That’s our job to have those kids to be prepared to play football.”

http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/x1...resh-Start
jamesdeane Wrote:Looks like Whitley Co. will be a very young team. Almost half the team are freshmen.

“We had 45 players out, but sometimes numbers can be misleading, too,” he said. “We’re still exceptionally young with 22 of the 45 being freshmen. The big question is how many of those kids are prepared. That’s our job to have those kids to be prepared to play football.”

http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/x1...resh-Start

I would like to see the numbers doubled in the future. some 1A teams have better numbers.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was curious about that as well. Where does Chapman like to go?

When Chappell was at Perry Central, they went to the big EKU team camp.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:When Chappell was at Perry Central, they went to the big EKU team camp.

I wondered if they would go to EKU, but haven't heard anything about them going to a camp. I know they have been going to Wofford for the last several years.
pjdoug Wrote:they used to run you to death instead of teaching you how to play football Smile

IMO That was one of the major problems at Whitley, what was left of their team, after Wofford, their legs were gone until about midseason then they always came back and always seemed to close strong.
I don't believe you can run A kid into being a good football player without or with water. Kids have to enjoy the game, if they don't what happens.
topnotch Wrote:I don't believe you can run A kid into being a good football player without or with water. Kids have to enjoy the game, if they don't what happens.

I agree. a team needs some conditioning but most importantly they need fundamentals and taught how to play the game. in the past they were in as good a shape as any team but lost on the field
There wasnt a coach around here that didn't have that "run them to death" belief before todays different world.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:There wasnt a coach around here that didn't have that "run them to death" belief before todays different world.

but the schools with winning tradition were taught fundamentals and had good coaches that noticed mismatches etc put his players were they needed to be. with good coaching you don't watch a cornerback stand there like he is lost while a receiver gets 30 yards behind him. with good coaching you throw it over the top on 2nd and 1 when the defense has the box stacked. some seem to lack something as simple as common sense.
pjdoug Wrote:but the schools with winning tradition were taught fundamentals and had good coaches that noticed mismatches etc put his players were they needed to be. with good coaching you don't watch a cornerback stand there like he is lost while a receiver gets 30 yards behind him. with good coaching you throw it over the top on 2nd and 1 when the defense has the box stacked. some seem to lack something as simple as common sense.

Corbin had Archie
Wburg had Rose
And all Whitley ever had was Campbell. Very few coaches were successful. Bryant may have been the only other one. Old Jacket and I were just talking about that the other day. Notice how much better Whitley got when Cotton Adams left Corbin for Whitley in the mid 90's to help out. It made a world of difference.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin had Archie
Wburg had Rose
And all Whitley ever had was Campbell. Very few coaches were successful. Bryant may have been the only other one. Old Jacket and I were just talking about that the other day. Notice how much better Whitley got when Cotton Adams left Corbin for Whitley in the mid 90's to help out. It made a world of difference.

yeah. Cotton knows how to coach.I would like to have seen him as head coach.
KHSAA roster doesn't list Whitley as having 45 players.I hope they can do something to get the kids out to play because their numbers are way too low for a 5A team.
pjdoug Wrote:KHSAA roster doesn't list Whitley as having 45 players.I hope they can do something to get the kids out to play because their numbers are way too low for a 5A team.

The frosh aren't listed on the roster....
Numbers seem to be improving. That should be Chappells number one goal, and he seems to be getting there. Im not sure Whitley had 30 kids on the sideline to end the season. Now your looking at 40 kids not counting frosh.
Whitley could very well have 55-60 kids by the time the season begins.
Around 12 seniors on this team as well.

Im three hours away, hows the backfield looking? Heard a certain runningback was back and doing really well :biggrin:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That's what they always said. Who knew that would turn out to be completely bogus? Never once had a doubt in my mind while throwing up Confusednicker:

Some people throw up if they have been eating green apples but they never played football not one down.