Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordia Parents waiting on Offers???????
ballstar Wrote:I don't disagree w/ what your saying Buford about the weights, lol,have you seen me lately. I also agree that PCC hasn't won but 1 title in the last few years but they did win it w/ their kids. One thing a will say is if you live to be 200 you will NEVER know more about this BBall game than me. That's a promise. Most ppl like me get paid big money to know the things I know about hoops. For what you said about the EYBL a just have to laugh. I think only 70 of the top 100 players in the country for class of 2014 played in that league last year and at ANY given time there are 200/250 HIGH MAJOR D-1 coaches watching and evaluating the kids so I would say they don't play any defense. Come on man.

About the Cordia recruiting I could truly careless if they get 100 kids from Africa, Philly, or anywhere else for that matter. I wish them all well. The only thing that concerns me Burford is y'all had all this bigtime talent or so you say and ain't nobody from Cordia getting any of these kids a scholarship anywhere. If y'all need help feel free to call me. I can put the kids in school somewhere.

Let's go prove it to them JJ is a true PG not a 2 guard....... Cordia has 7 seniors still waiting.... Now what everyone fail to realize it that the system is the problem and force school to recruit or shall I say welcome players interested in coming. Why are there no divisions in KY..... In MS, AL, GA and many other states school are divided based on enrollment. We give 6 state titles a year and they just did away with the overall where the 5A played the 6A. There is absolutely no way Cordia with a graduating class of 34 that BB players. Baseball, Track, non athletes girls and boys can put together a decent team of 15 the odds are not there be real ...... Who are the suppose to compete with?????? and this is fact for all the small schools. :HitWall: yall will have this discussion until something changes. FIX the system.
the crossover Wrote:Let's go prove it to them JJ is a true PG not a 2 guard....... Cordia has 7 seniors still waiting.... Now what everyone fail to realize it that the system is the problem and force school to recruit or shall I say welcome players interested in coming. Why are there no divisions in KY..... In MS, AL, GA and many other states school are divided based on enrollment. We give 6 state titles a year and they just did away with the overall where the 5A played the 6A. There is absolutely no way Cordia with a graduating class of 34 that BB players. Baseball, Track, non athletes girls and boys can put together a decent team of 15 the odds are not there be real ...... Who are the suppose to compete with?????? and this is fact for all the small schools. :HitWall: yall will have this discussion until something changes. FIX the system.

The system as far as crowning one single champion is perfect. The ALL A is also perfect. Kentucky basketball wouldn't be what it is if we had a A-6A basketball system. People pack into Rupp Arena from all over Kentucky to see the sweet 16. Breaking into classes wouldn't be a smart move just to accommodate smaller schools. I've seen small schools go all the way and win it all by beating the giants. Having classes and having 5-6 state champions isn't the Kentucky way and that's what makes this state and high school basketball what it is.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone in the 14 did take the issue to the KHSAA then the courts said they could play. Shame peoples tax money go to courts being involved in matters that are none of their concern. Not that I care I'm in the 15th but I'm not a fan of things that are going on.

I BELIEVE if I were like you and HUGGY bEAR, I WOULD GO OVER TO lOTTS cREEK AND I WOULD JUST FIND OUT, jUST AIN"T FAIR you and Huggy Bear are not in the loop.
MidnightRider Wrote:The system as far as crowning one single champion is perfect. The ALL A is also perfect. Kentucky basketball wouldn't be what it is if we had a A-6A basketball system. People pack into Rupp Arena from all over Kentucky to see the sweet 16. Breaking into classes wouldn't be a smart move just to accommodate smaller schools. I've seen small schools go all the way and win it all by beating the giants. Having classes and having 5-6 state champions isn't the Kentucky way and that's what makes this state and high school basketball what it is.

And our arena is packed for a week as well. It doesn't matter to me one or the other just stop all the crying and complaining about recruiting thats all I'm saying.
the crossover Wrote:And our arena is packed for a week as well. It doesn't matter to me one or the other just stop all the crying and complaining about recruiting thats all I'm saying.

Hey I never said a word about recruiting! Everyone does it. I've stated on here many times that Knott fans bash Cordia for recruits when 5 of Knott's top 7 players this year were recruits. Sure maybe Cordia brought in much more than other schools but I've never complained about Cordia!
To Mix 1: I'll retire when I damn well please. Try checking the public schools list in Kentucky and see if Cordia is a prep school ; that's as official as one can get. Wait, maybe you are some great smart person that someone ( KHSAA ) has hired to created a list of prep schools. Certainly someone of your immense knowledge could create it. I think Ron White's quote "You can't fix stupid" is quite appropriate for your posts.
Actually I might be the stupid one to be reading this bs.
:yawn:
Tards need players. Maybe they will have spots.
E's Army Wrote:Tards need players. Maybe they will have spots.
Tards?
Tards ?
E's Army Wrote:Tards need players. Maybe they will have spots.

:what:
topnotch Wrote:I BELIEVE if I were like you and HUGGY bEAR, I WOULD GO OVER TO lOTTS cREEK AND I WOULD JUST FIND OUT, jUST AIN"T FAIR you and Huggy Bear are not in the loop.
There is no need for me to visit any place. Fact of the matter is the KHSAA has one job and that is to govern high school athletics. As it currently stands there are a few ways in order to be in good standing with the KHSAA and kids be available to participate. First and foremost, playing high school ball is a privilege not a right. Thus the courts have no business interfering in my opinion. The KHSAA is to high school sports what the NCAA is to college. While I do not agree with how the KHSAA or the NCAA conducts them selves they still should ultimately be the ruling body over these issues. Anything less ultimately opens up a huge can of worms for numerous other violations. Also, to make my self clear I do not support how the current KHSAA system operates not how they rule on many kids eligibility. However, as it stands they have rules and procedures in place that all involved should follow until new procedures occur. My opinion it's as simple as that. I have never heard of a court system creating an injunction to allow any NCAA athletes the opportunity to play. If so it basically voids the governing body. Personally, I believe all kids should get a one time transfer and after that transfer unless it can be solidly proven a new transfer occurred for reasons uncontrollable the athlete should be required to sit. Visiting any place wouldn't change this belief as long as the current rules are in place.
^You can file for an injunction in the NCAA as well...
but I'm pretty sure if you are ruled ineligible after the fact then the team has to forfeit games, wins and all types of good stuff like that.
Agreed Saga point was courts don't intervene. Just happened to my wild cats a few years ago with Kanter.
Come on people.. Tards = Loserville Cards.. Or to me anyway..
RoyHobbs Wrote:To Mix 1: I'll retire when I damn well please. Try checking the public schools list in Kentucky and see if Cordia is a prep school ; that's as official as one can get. Wait, maybe you are some great smart person that someone ( KHSAA ) has hired to created a list of prep schools. Certainly someone of your immense knowledge could create it. I think Ron White's quote "You can't fix stupid" is quite appropriate for your posts.
Actually I might be the stupid one to be reading this bs.

Sorry old man Roy.. When Rod came here he wanted Cordia to be a prep school. Well he got his wish,, it's just an unofficial prep school right now. Now go grade papers or whatever you old school teachers do. Drink ovaltine or prune juice..
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:There is no need for me to visit any place. Fact of the matter is the KHSAA has one job and that is to govern high school athletics. As it currently stands there are a few ways in order to be in good standing with the KHSAA and kids be available to participate. First and foremost, playing high school ball is a privilege not a right. Thus the courts have no business interfering in my opinion. The KHSAA is to high school sports what the NCAA is to college. While I do not agree with how the KHSAA or the NCAA conducts them selves they still should ultimately be the ruling body over these issues. Anything less ultimately opens up a huge can of worms for numerous other violations. Also, to make my self clear I do not support how the current KHSAA system operates not how they rule on many kids eligibility. However, as it stands they have rules and procedures in place that all involved should follow until new procedures occur. My opinion it's as simple as that. I have never heard of a court system creating an injunction to allow any NCAA athletes the opportunity to play. If so it basically voids the governing body. Personally, I believe all kids should get a one time transfer and after that transfer unless it can be solidly proven a new transfer occurred for reasons uncontrollable the athlete should be required to sit. Visiting any place wouldn't change this belief as long as the current rules are in place.

Are you saying we should just accept what they decide. Do you think we should have no recourse, They took two months to decide their own rules, a rule that should have taken a couple days. WHY? they tried to run out the clock, The court decided that they had interpreted their rules wrong and handed down the injunction, I guess you are right unless you are the kid, that was being damaged,
crossover, MissB & whatever other Cordia parent is on this board...

Do you think it was a failure that you brought your kid to Lotts Creek to play for Rod Rhodes? Do you wish you would have went elsewhere? Disappointed in the lack of college offers? Legit questions. Not trying to start a fight. I would love for you to answer those.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:crossover, MissB & whatever other Cordia parent is on this board...

Do you think it was a failure that you brought your kid to Lotts Creek to play for Rod Rhodes? Do you wish you would have went elsewhere? Disappointed in the lack of college offers? Legit questions. Not trying to start a fight. I would love for you to answer those.

Huggy_Bear it's not a failure when 7 kids on one team get scholarships offer 64SUR Confusederiously:
Huggy_Bear Wrote:crossover, MissB & whatever other Cordia parent is on this board...

No Huggy Bear I do not regret my decision at all. Prior to him leaving New York his team won the Manhattan borough championship. They came close to beating a very good team (Curtis HS) in the regional tournament but at the end lost. So they were out of the city tournament. He accomplished something prior to leaving. This was something Josh wanted to adventure out and try something new. Like I said before Lulu and Josh have played together for a long time and we are neighbors.
I am disappointed in the KHSAA. I hindsight, with that situation, I would not have put my son through that! Also, I just hope that due to my son only playing approximately 8 games I just hope colleges don't hold that against him too much and look at how much he did contribute when he was on the floor. My son loves the sport of basketball. I believe he enjoyed playing for Rod thisyear.
Manhattan Center beats Frederick Douglas Academy, 43-36, in championship game of PSAL Manhattan borough playoffs

Nykolas King and Khalil Hamer combined for 21 points in the fourth quarter to lift Rams in an otherwise defensive battle.

BY Rob Delucia /

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS/

Saturday, February 16, 2013, 7:53 PM

It was a defensive battle in the PSAL Manhattan borough championship game at City College on Saturday, with neither team finding the basket too often.

Despite the anemic offense throughout, Manhattan Center's Nykolas King and Khalil Hamer combined for 21 points in the fourth quarter, with Hamer would completing a three-point play for the Rams in the last 30 seconds that propelled them to a 43-36 win over Frederick Douglas Academy. King had 12 points in the fourth quarter and Hamer had nine.

In the third quarter, the Rams allowed FDA to score just five points, as the physical man-to-man defense Manhattan Center used forced them to shoot from the outside.

Manhattan Center coach Charles Jackson credited his team's stellar second half defense as the difference in the game.

Switching to man-to-man defense was key," he said, "with the man they couldn’t continue(offensively.)”

Things did not get much better for FDA in the fourth as Hamer took things over offensively. His nine points were just two less than the entire Lions team scored in the quarter.

Collin Clarke was the lone spark for FDA, with all nine of his points coming in the first half. The junior hit a big three in the second quarter that gave FDA a 20-14 lead.

But even after the Clarke three-pointer, the Rams were able to put the clamps down defensively. They closed out the first half strong, with Nykolas King scoring six points, keeping his team in the game and trailing 22-18 at the break.

One highlight of the first half came from the hands of Joshua Ortiz, who had been strong on the boards all half for the Rams. Ortiz then decided to try his hand at things on the offensive end.

The crowd rose to their feet as Ortiz flew up for a one-handed dunk that he seemed sure to slam home. The rim got the best of him, however, and the ball clanged out, much to the disappointment of the fans.

Ortiz wasn't affected by his miss, continuing his strong paint play in the second half, which helped the Rams pull away and eventually hang on for a victory.

The win was the 325th in Jackson's coaching career.
Another article:

Curtis boys escape with 63-54 PSAL playoff win over Manhattan Center

In case Curtis forgot how tough the PSAL AA playoffs can be, visiting Manhattan Center provided a very scary reminder Thursday night in St. George.

The third-seeded Warriors found themselves in a seesaw battle for most of a frenetic four quarters and still trailed with under four minutes remaining, but huge performances by Hassan Martin and Jermaine Anthony-Huff were enough to deliver a 63-54 victory.

"I didn't think the layoff would affect us but it did. We didn't execute for three and a half quarters everything we stress and emphasize," said Curtis coach Rich Buckheit, whose squad -- which hadn't played since beating St. Peter's in the SIHSL championship on Feb. 10 -- advances to face No. 6 Bayside in a quarterfinal Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at St. John's University, Queens.

"Our guys were thinking forward to Saturday," said Buckheit, whose Warriors spotted the Rams an 8-2 lead at the outset and a 41-39 edge entering the fourth. "We thought we could get by and just go through the motions. (The coaching staff) had to explain to them that (the Rams) were Manhattan borough champs, and that they're city basketball players who are tough and certainly weren't going to come into this gym afraid."

CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS

Jermaine Anthony-Huff scored 15 of his game-high 24 points in the first half to help Curtis (25-4 overall) keep pace with Manhattan Center, which forced 21 turnovers for the game and constantly beat the Warriors down the floor for layups.

"Of course we were scared," said Anthony-Huff, who also grabbed eight rebounds. "But we played defense down the stretch and boxed out on the boards."

The Warriors' domination of the glass -- and the paint, in general -- was critical, led by 6-foot-7 Hassan Martin. The University of Rhode Island-bound senior was a difference maker inside, blocking an astounding 10 shots (and altering more than that), grabbing 20 rebounds (eight offensive) and scoring 14 points.

"I knew they'd be a tough team. I personally know their guards, and knew this game wasn't going to be easy," said Martin, who spearheaded the Warriors' 44-20 rebounding advantage. "In the beginning, we started slow. Maybe in the first quarter we overlooked them, but after that we knew they could play."

Trailing 27-26 at the half, the No. 14 Rams grabbed control early in the third. Nykolas King completed a rare 4-point play to quickly give MC the lead. Moments later, a trey by Joshua Ortiz and a King layup following a blown dunk by Martin reclaimed the Rams' earlier six-point margin -- the game's biggest lead until the waning seconds of the contest.

The Warriors would climb to within 41-39 at period's end, then opened up a 47-43 edge as Jamel Olorunoje scored six straight points during an 8-2 Curtis run at the outset of the fourth.

However, when Khalil Hamer drained the Rams' sixth trey of the night, Curtis fell behind 50-49 with 3:47 to go. But -- in a game that featured nine ties and six lead changes -- Tyler Summers responded with a driving basket and Olorunoje followed by making two free throws after a steal to help steer things the Warriors' way.

"With the recognition we've received and with this seed, we have to play well. We have to prove (the PSAL seeding committee) right," Buckheit s
MissB Wrote:No Huggy Bear I do not regret my decision at all. Prior to him leaving New York his team won the Manhattan borough championship. They came close to beating a very good team (Curtis HS) in the regional tournament but at the end lost. So they were out of the city tournament. He accomplished something prior to leaving. This was something Josh wanted to adventure out and try something new. Like I said before Lulu and Josh have played together for a long time and we are neighbors.
I am disappointed in the KHSAA. I hindsight, with that situation, I would not have put my son through that! Also, I just hope that due to my son only playing approximately 8 games I just hope colleges don't hold that against him too much and look at how much he did contribute when he was on the floor. My son loves the sport of basketball. I believe he enjoyed playing for Rod thisyear.

Thank you for answering that in a decent manner unlike 64sur :Thumbs:

Out of this whole situation, I completely agree with you about the KHSAA holding the kids in limbo and making them miss all those games. The decision should have been a lot sooner. Either tell them no and let them go somewhere else and play or tell them yes and let them play right away.
Let's be serious people. Nobody except cordia fans believe that Rhodes didn't recruit all of these boys. The mother even said that they moved because they knew one of players and for basketball reasons. That's a violation of khsaa rules.

And one more thing, there is no one on the cordia team that can be on the same playing level as jaysean Paige.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:Thank you for answering that in a decent manner unlike 64sur :Thumbs:

Out of this whole situation, I completely agree with you about the KHSAA holding the kids in limbo and making them miss all those games. The decision should have been a lot sooner. Either tell them no and let them go somewhere else and play or tell them yes and let them play right away.

The khsaa told two of the boys no and they had to get injunction. So don't blame everything on the khsaa.
hitter Wrote:The khsaa told two of the boys no and they had to get injunction. So don't blame everything on the khsaa.

Lol if you click on my name and go back and read my posts about Cordia, you would know I'm not "blameing everything on the KHSAA" :Thumbs:
Huggy_Bear Wrote:Lol if you click on my name and go back and read my posts about Cordia, you would know I'm not "blameing everything on the KHSAA" :Thumbs:

Huggy_Bear you need investigated why eastern Kentucky don't have ping-pong teams in Highschool. 64SUR. Confusederiously:

ROD Rhodes is a habitual liar he lost two kids because he was trying to work deals with colleges. He played a 18 yr kid down to get him eligible to play after being told his age but he choose to anyway. Rhodes does not care about the kids just trying to make a name for himself in Coaching.

I have proof but don't know how to upload a picture,

No I have no regrets I actually appreciate that Cordia, Coach Rhodes and the community has been great for the growth and maturity of my son. However, I believe more could and should have been done towards their recruitment and getting information to colleges based on player s level of play. And if its the parent job providing us with stats and video. But no regrets and will continue to work with them for benefits of the kids.
I've seen a lot of talk about D1 on down in this thread... someone else said something to this effect, but there are kids in NAIA who could PLAY D1 and there are kids in D1 who would get less minutes on a D3 team. Before anyone tells me I don't know - I was a practice gunner/manager for a low D1 team. The guys at the end of the bench played their role - you need those guys at every level.

I'm not knocking parents wanting their kid to play D1... my son is only 4 but he dominated the YMCA league (yes, I'm serious) and I hope and pray he will continue to love the game and grow and maybe one day carry my alma mater to the tournament. My point is as many have said - fit matters! If you think your child belongs at that level then send them to prep school or JUCO... but also be prepared they may still end up at a smaller school. Is it about PLAYING D1 or BEING D1? If it's the latter, there Re walk on opportunities out there but a kid stands a better chance finding those by being proactive.

Whatever happens be thankful your child has the opportunity. Many of us never did. Playing college basketball and getting help for a degree is an awesome opportunity.