Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cordia Parents waiting on Offers???????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cordia had a good season and team this year. But the questions that the seniors are asking is what is next? where is the exposure that came with the great EX KY Player and now coach? Who has he brought in to see the seniors ? How many school have been told that the kids have offers? what's rumored and what's fact? why are these boys who are not in academic trouble talking about a 5th year program? Have kids been stated as having offers that were actually interest? Have schools that have made offer retracted them due to the unwanted deals? My only true question is has Rhodes put forth the effort to ensure these kids were match with the best opportunities for college?

If Cordia will continue to remain among the states top school the issues of college exposure must be addressed. Is it the role of the head coach or who's is it to make the college aware?

7 seniors 0 committs:Sad04::Sad04::Sad04:

Seniors: 6'1 G CC Cunningham, 6'2 G AJ Tagaloa, 6'2 G JJ Catchings, 5'8 G Felix Frimpong, 6'7 Josh Ortiz, 6'9 Fritz Leucen, 5'9 Cory Smith
Crossover, you should ask him yourself seeing as how close you are to the program. I'm sure he told you and your son that offers would be pouring in and to be honest, knowing how good your son and a couple others on that team are, I'm surprised there hasnt been any offers.
the crossover Wrote:Cordia had a good season and team this year. But the questions that the seniors are asking is what is next? where is the exposure that came with the great EX KY Player and now coach? Who has he brought in to see the seniors ? How many school have been told that the kids have offers? what's rumored and what's fact? why are these boys who are not in academic trouble talking about a 5th year program? Have kids been stated as having offers that were actually interest? Have schools that have made offer retracted them due to the unwanted deals? My only true question is has Rhodes put forth the effort to ensure these kids were match with the best opportunities for college?

If Cordia will continue to remain among the states top school the issues of college exposure must be addressed. Is it the role of the head coach or who's is it to make the college aware?

7 seniors 0 committs:Sad04::Sad04::Sad04:

Seniors: 6'1 G CC Cunningham, 6'2 G AJ Tagaloa, 6'2 G JJ Catchings, 5'8 G Felix Frimpong, 6'7 Josh Ortiz, 6'9 Fritz Leucen, 5'9 Cory Smith
I have been a participant on this blog this whole season listening to all the critics out there bashing our Cordia team. Throughout, people been saying that these kids are "orphans" and almost making them out to be criminals! This was very hurtful. Throughout the injunctions and the fight for innocent kids to just play ball! Well one of those innocent kids is my son, Joshua Ortiz. It really hurt him that he could not play ball most of the season. When he did, he only played maybe 6 games! If only some of you knew how he cried the day when the attorney informed him that he could play. Like I said before, Joshua came to the school because of his long friendship with LULU and the chance to play under Rod’s direction. My son enjoyed being in this community and I thank you for treating him with open arms. Now, I also need your help! We don’t have a clue where our boys will attend college. Cordia had a promising team but we have no real offers. We( us parents) are scrambling around for answers
Cordia has a program going that has succeded they won a lot of games. I drove all the way from Williamsburg to watch them 3 times and twice to North Laurel. I was not disappointed one bit, great coaching, great team and most of all the fans loved them, The kids were well trained very polite and they played hard, They seemed to be having fun. I and my friend from Laurel County will be back next year, It is well worth the drive.
MissB Wrote:I have been a participant on this blog this whole season listening to all the critics out there bashing our Cordia team. Throughout, people been saying that these kids are "orphans" and almost making them out to be criminals! This was very hurtful. Throughout the injunctions and the fight for innocent kids to just play ball! Well one of those innocent kids is my son, Joshua Ortiz. It really hurt him that he could not play ball most of the season. When he did, he only played maybe 6 games! If only some of you knew how he cried the day when the attorney informed him that he could play. Like I said before, Joshua came to the school because of his long friendship with LULU and the chance to play under Rod’s direction. My son enjoyed being in this community and I thank you for treating him with open arms. Now, I also need your help! We don’t have a clue where our boys will attend college. Cordia had a promising team but we have no real offers. We( us parents) are scrambling around for answers
I would look just down the road at Alice Lloyd College...Great school my son goes to college at Alice Lloyd. :Cheerlead
MissB Wrote:I have been a participant on this blog this whole season listening to all the critics out there bashing our Cordia team. Throughout, people been saying that these kids are "orphans" and almost making them out to be criminals! This was very hurtful. Throughout the injunctions and the fight for innocent kids to just play ball! Well one of those innocent kids is my son, Joshua Ortiz. It really hurt him that he could not play ball most of the season. When he did, he only played maybe 6 games! If only some of you knew how he cried the day when the attorney informed him that he could play. Like I said before, Joshua came to the school because of his long friendship with LULU and the chance to play under Rod’s direction. My son enjoyed being in this community and I thank you for treating him with open arms. Now, I also need your help! We don’t have a clue where our boys will attend college. Cordia had a promising team but we have no real offers. We( us parents) are scrambling around for answers

Alice Lloyd College in Knott County would be a good place to start. Union College in Barbourville (Knox County) could also be a option.
I would not say any of thest kids don't have any offers they all have offers maybe just not the offers they think they deserve. C.cunningham is going to commit to a d1 school he just has not made it public which one yet. I know fritz Lucien is probably going to sign with fairmont state, I know they want him really bad, I know Kentucky weslian has been involved with frimprom, jj catchings and aj tagaloa. L.M.U is very interested in catchings and Ortiz. I have been told that some colleges are waiting on ACT results before they get too invested. I have learned over the years when choosing a college you need to go with who wants you not who you want. ALC is interested in several of these boys but I guess ALC and KY weslian aren't good enough. The bottom line is all of these kids have have had the opportunity to play in front of probably 20 colleges this year it is not rod rhodes fault if they don't offer. Just maybe every one is not d1 talent few are there is no discrase in playing for these smaller schools. The bottom line is getting an education because I don't see any NBA players on that floor. There are good players there but get your school payed for first because more than likely in 4 years the basketball career is over an education last a lifetime.
TaintAnewPat Wrote:I would not say any of thest kids don't have any offers they all have offers maybe just not the offers they think they deserve. C.cunningham is going to commit to a d1 school he just has not made it public which one yet. I know fritz Lucien is probably going to sign with fairmont state, I know they want him really bad, I know Kentucky weslian has been involved with frimprom, jj catchings and aj tagaloa. L.M.U is very interested in catchings and Ortiz. I have been told that some colleges are waiting on ACT results before they get too invested. I have learned over the years when choosing a college you need to go with who wants you not who you want. ALC is interested in several of these boys but I guess ALC and KY weslian aren't good enough. The bottom line is all of these kids have have had the opportunity to play in front of probably 20 colleges this year it is not rod rhodes fault if they don't offer. Just maybe every one is not d1 talent few are there is no discrase in playing for these smaller schools. The bottom line is
getting an education because I don't see any NBA players on that floor. There are good players there but get your school payed for first because more than likely in 4 years the basketball career is over an education last a lifetime.

My advice if Alice Lloyd offer they better take it. :HitWall:
I must say that the responses are in line and to respond to Huggy Bear all fairness to Coach Rhodes I am in no way disappointed in the season other than I would have love to have seen them go to the SWEET 16 lol..... However I have spoken with him and I really think the issue is that our kids hoped to have obtained more looks from the Mid Major levels....... Speaking for my son he has several looks at the D2 level. Which I feel is an good offer but he want to wait to see if any other come his way ( I had no knowledge of KY Westleyan intensest)..... It's hard because the years, work and commitment to the sport he wants more.

I have spoken with Coach and the advice was good, " Go where they want him". But I have to ask what about what he wants??? and that where the difficulty in the situation comes I feel we as parents are have to step into an arena where we should be sitting but we are trying to play. Unfortunately I was asked to start this but I know this is not just my view. I was never promised anything as to my sons recruitment, My son basketball abilities wasn't known so no promises could be made. However, I was told that the coaches would be brought in..... I think past Hines, CC and maybe Leiucen this wasn't done. Cordia has a great situation with exceptional community support and coaching staff. It's just disappointing that the kids are contemplating 5th year when they could play at the D 1 level (remember there are low, low mid, mid, mid high and high levels to D 1) not to assume High D-1. Some the above mentioned school will get a steal with some of these kids. Sadly the kids know it and they are talking to each other and no one is informing the parents of any interest. JJ kept me informed of his contact with coaches and that was 1 school.

I hope this doesn't start controversy but bring the attention back to the kids and say that the job is not done yet. We are all willing to work with the staff to assure the kids obtain what the are worthy of- that's it. When I asked could he play at that level and was told definitely that was never it issue. I love Cordia and don't want to see the Kids leave because they don't feel the coach cares but......

JJ will finish the year.
64SUR Wrote:I would look just down the road at Alice Lloyd College...Great school my son goes to college at Alice Lloyd. :Cheerlead
Yes! Coach Hammond is the only coach that has reached out to offer his program to several kids on the team. From what I gather from our conversation he was too surprised at the lack of sincere offers, not interest but offers for these kids. We had a great conversation!
TaintAnewPat Wrote:I would not say any of thest kids don't have any offers they all have offers maybe just not the offers they think they deserve. C.cunningham is going to commit to a d1 school he just has not made it public which one yet. I know fritz Lucien is probably going to sign with fairmont state, I know they want him really bad, I know Kentucky weslian has been involved with frimprom, jj catchings and aj tagaloa. L.M.U is very interested in catchings and Ortiz. I have been told that some colleges are waiting on ACT results before they get too invested. I have learned over the years when choosing a college you need to go with who wants you not who you want. ALC is interested in several of these boys but I guess ALC and KY weslian aren't good enough. The bottom line is all of these kids have have had the opportunity to play in front of probably 20 colleges this year it is not rod rhodes fault if they don't offer. Just maybe every one is not d1 talent few are there is no discrase in playing for these smaller schools. The bottom line is getting an education because I don't see any NBA players on that floor. There are good players there but get your school payed for first because more than likely in 4 years the basketball career is over an education last a lifetime.
If you know me, then you will know I am about education first! Your statement not 100% accurate. If these kids have any real offers then they would not be talking to each other about staying together and going to a prep school! I'm a parent of one. Unless your a parent of one these kids then you don't really know!!
64SUR Wrote:My advice if Alice Lloyd offer they better take it. :HitWall:
That maybe the case that most of the Cordia team will be playing at Alice Lloyd.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:Alice Lloyd College in Knott County would be a good place to start. Union College in Barbourville (Knox County) could also be a option.
Thank you Huggy Bear. You know we went at it during the season but it was all in funSmile Now we have to reach out to our "friends" on the blog to give us some ideas.
MissB Wrote:Thank you Huggy Bear. You know we went at it during the season but it was all in funSmile Now we have to reach out to our "friends" on the blog to give us some ideas.

I have a good friend who has good contact with Cumberland ( college ) university his bgr name is topnotch.pm could help...64SUR
64SUR Wrote:I have a good friend who has good contact with Cumberland ( college ) university his bgr name is topnotch.pm could help...64SUR
Yes I am very interested. Where is the school located?
I'm an Alice Lloyd grad and I would recommend that to any of these boys.

I know that we went at it all year on here but I wish any kid that wants to do better for himself to take advantage of it.

Unless a kid has NBA potential, which is hard to come by, then they need to get their college paid for at a school that well prepare them to go pro in something else.
Best of luck to all of you guys and let us know where these kids end up taking their talents and how they do.

And again I say...
If JR Hammond offers a scholarship I would take it. Alice Lloyd is a school that trains students to be leaders and you wouldn't even have to leave Knott County Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:Best of luck to all of you guys and let us know where these kids end up taking their talents and how they do.

And again I say...
If JR Hammond offers a scholarship I would take it. Alice Lloyd is a school that trains students to be leaders and you wouldn't even have to leave Knott County Wink
Thank you Zaga!
I thank you all for your suggestions and we are all looking into all options. The kids have and will continue to prepare themselves to be productive students athletes. Although, we are wanting help we also believe that they will end where they are suppose to and it will work out. The boys could have gone to many schools based on academics alone but the are ballers and want to play ball and get a good education and some possible go over seas.

We as parents want them to pursue their dreams and work to obtain their goals whatever they the are..........

I have always said and will continue to say, "it's all about the kids". Nothing personal.
Heston Beverly can help all those kids.......
That Beverly guy is truly a legend..... Lol
Well I don't know about Alice Lloyd or Cumberlands if they want to go overseas.

Can't blame anyone for wanting to get paid to play.

If their heart is in getting paid to play and D1 schools aren't calling I would look into a Junior College and try to transfer up after a couple years.

Jaysean Paige from Perry did that and he is going to be making the jump to D1 this coming year.
As some on this site may know it is the coaches job to help these kids get offers. Not knocking Rhodes or anyone else for that matter but its just the way it is. Each and everyone of those seniors can play somewhere. Just got to find them the right fit.
Just some off the top of my head..
UPike, Lindsey Wilson, Cumberland, Union...
All great colleges..
ballstar Wrote:As some on this site may know it is the coaches job to help these kids get offers. Not knocking Rhodes or anyone else for that matter but its just the way it is. Each and everyone of those seniors can play somewhere. Just got to find them the right fit.

it's not the coaches job, but it is a responsibility a coach should invest their time and effort into. big difference between the 2

when it's time for a college to decide if they want to make an offer, they're going to offer the player, not the coach. they'll evaluate talent, size, speed, skills, work ethic, school work, grades, etc. they'll talk with the coach a bit, but eventually, they get to know the player more and more
^its not in the job description but if coaches aren't willing to help these kids w/ highlight tapes and pushing them on coaches then they need to find a new career. Especially Cordia! They are bringing these kids n from all over the country to be seen.
Just curious the crossover and Miss B now that we know who you are, what makes you think your children can play college basketball? When I saw them play they would only score 4-10 points in a high school game. College basketball is a big step up even at Alice Lloyd! Please don't take my question wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, just realistic.
I've seen kids a lot more talented than these Cordia kids play in the NAIA.
I've seen kids a lot less talented than these Cordia kids play NCAA D1.

AAU ball, making it to the Sweet 16, their coach.... there are a lot of things that go into a kid finding the right fit - but make no bones about it. If the coach ain't talking to coaches and sending tapes then the kid is behind the 8-ball.

I don't know what Rod does so I can't comment on that...
but if the kids have the talent to play D1 and they've got a coach that puts in the time - the kids will go D1.
ballstar Wrote:^its not in the job description but if coaches aren't willing to help these kids w/ highlight tapes and pushing them on coaches then they need to find a new career. Especially Cordia! They are bringing these kids n from all over the country to be seen.

and I agree with that 100%, I was just saying a coach's position shouldn't be on the line because they can't get their players offers. It should be on the line when they stop caring though
Every kid deserves to play whatever sport they desire to play. I played college basketball! You love the sport you should be able to play if you can. If you can get a scholarship while playing basketball even better! Education is first! I keep saying that!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6