Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 80 Clay County 78 (KHSAA Sweet 16 1st RD)
Count Wrote:He is a great receiver, but at CC he will never get the exposer he deserves on the field. That's why I say concentrate on bball or transfer. I love the kid a wish nothing but the best for him. We may need to start our own thread to discuss CC and the 13th next season.

Give it til Monday. Haha a thread will be started.
All I got to say is be glad Zenas Campbell built a golf course or it would have been scary what McDaniel would have done. The kid doesn't touch a basketball from mid march to October 15th. Anyways, I think Farmer is 1, Baxter and Barger 2-3, Collier, Wolfe, Smith, Marsee and Broughton will follow in some order.
It appears that I offended some by suggesting Wolfe transfer or quit fball. For that I'm sorry. Huge fan of Wolfe but CCs fball program is going nowhere and I feel Wolfe has the body and athleticism to play some pretty big time fball. I truly want the best for all CC kids and wherever or whatever they need to do to succeed I support. I would have liked to address this with a PM but I'm not that experienced on BGR. Sorry again. :igiveup:
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:All I got to say is be glad Zenas Campbell built a golf course or it would have been scary what McDaniel would have done. The kid doesn't touch a basketball from mid march to October 15th. Anyways, I think Farmer is 1, Baxter and Barger 2-3, Collier, Wolfe, Smith, Marsee and Broughton will follow in some order.

No way Farmer should be 1. Does nothing on defensive end. That has to play a part.
Count it absolutely plays a part. I agree he plays soft defense but he can defend when he wants and who in the region rebounds better than him? Keyword, when Trey WANTS to.
Count Wrote:No way Farmer should be 1. Does nothing on defensive end. That has to play a part.

I agree 100%. He has the potential to be there but until he shows that he is dedicated and willing to work on his game there is no way.
My no1 would want to. All the time. Every possession
Rebounds
Allen over 8
Farmer 5.6
Wolfe 5.5
Smith 5.0
Coin toss
Count Wrote:It appears that I offended some by suggesting Wolfe transfer or quit fball. For that I'm sorry. Huge fan of Wolfe but CCs fball program is going nowhere and I feel Wolfe has the body and athleticism to play some pretty big time fball. I truly want the best for all CC kids and wherever or whatever they need to do to succeed I support. I would have liked to address this with a PM but I'm not that experienced on BGR. Sorry again. :igiveup:

Rome wasn't built in a day, it's pretty obvious you have a an axe to grind with the coaches, if not you would know that the numbers are up at an all time high. And that they have just know gotten over the mess Arnett left it in. But this is basketball, and you want to talk about football, come on man.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:All I got to say is be glad Zenas Campbell built a golf course or it would have been scary what McDaniel would have done. The kid doesn't touch a basketball from mid march to October 15th. Anyways, I think Farmer is 1, Baxter and Barger 2-3, Collier, Wolfe, Smith, Marsee and Broughton will follow in some order.

Maybe that's part of the reason why he is so good. He doesn't burn himself out. I don't know. I think you have to work hard, but most of the great ones played more than one sport.
Wasn't Richie a good baseball player? Pennington played at least two sports and went to Eastern. There are plenty of examples at other schools, but I'm trying to speak Clay County Smile

Farmer is a nice player, but do you really think he's better than Baxter? Baxter does what he does best and does it better, from what I've seen.
Count Wrote:It appears that I offended some by suggesting Wolfe transfer or quit fball. For that I'm sorry. Huge fan of Wolfe but CCs fball program is going nowhere and I feel Wolfe has the body and athleticism to play some pretty big time fball. I truly want the best for all CC kids and wherever or whatever they need to do to succeed I support. I would have liked to address this with a PM but I'm not that experienced on BGR. Sorry again. :igiveup:

You know count I am a Clay County fan and u spoke some harsh words about clay football. But the truth is the Truth and they are horrible. If Wolfe wants to be serious about football there are much better schools than Clay. Now on the other hand if he is serious about basketball then he is already home. Hope he chooses what's best for him.
BrokenArrow Wrote:You know count I am a Clay County fan and u spoke some harsh words about clay football. But the truth is the Truth and they are horrible. If Wolfe wants to be serious about football there are much better schools than Clay. Now on the other hand if he is serious about basketball then he is already home. Hope he chooses what's best for him.

YES, YES, YES! We are the mecca of high school basketball. If you are a true fan like you say your, then you will support all sports. But I know you are the Uncle Rico of the Tigers. GO BIG CLAY!!
Great season Clay, represented the 13th great. As for as Farmer being best player in the region next year. He will have to play just a little bit of defense to enter the equation.
Tiger Nation earned RESPECT in the 2014 Sweet 16.
We are CC.

Go Big Clay!

How "experienced" does one have to be to address someone with a PM?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:How "experienced" does one have to be to address someone with a PM?

Count Wrote:IMO Smith is more team oriented, better ball handler where Farmer is more about personal stats better shooter. Wolfe would do himself a great favor by quitting fball and refining his skills on the court or going to a school with a better fball program. I think that Smiths game and work ethic translates to the next level best of the three. With these three returning CC has to favored to return to Rupp next year. Congrats to Cov Cath Confusedinglepar

Encouraging a kid to quit/transfer? One of the biggest reasons our programs in Clay County struggle...on the wagon off the wagon people that truly support nothing.
I agree with Count......Wolfe is to good of an athlete not to go somewhere decent for college.....I support every sport thatClay County has to offer but their football program is terrible.....I am sorry but the truth is the truth......if he wants to go to college for football then he does need to find a program that will maximize his potential.......if he chooses basketball then he is where he needs to be and he needs to quit football and work on his game during the off season.

SKINNYPIG Wrote:Encouraging a kid to quit/transfer? One of the biggest reasons our programs in Clay County struggle...on the wagon off the wagon people that truly support nothing.
I see nothing wrong with playing all sports...just saying
cchsfan4life Wrote:I agree with Count......Wolfe is to good of an athlete not to go somewhere decent for college.....I support every sport thatClay County has to offer but their football program is terrible.....I am sorry but the truth is the truth......if he wants to go to college for football then he does need to find a program that will maximize his potential.......if he chooses basketball then he is where he needs to be and he needs to quit football and work on his game during the off season.
Glad to see our true fans come out for support, and by true fans I mean, the ones that come out around March. Stay Classy Guys
Heres the deal, I know some people got their panties in a wad over a few comments. I could care less about the programs as long as they are producing quality young men and giving them every opportunity to better them self's. The whole point is Wolfe is not gonna be a 2 sport athlete in college and he should concentrate on the sport that gives him the best chance to pay for his education. I Dont care which sport that is I only want the best for that kid. That being said if he could play basketball at a premier program better than clay I would tell him to go for it. Same as football . Clays football coaches / fans can get mad if they want. There program cannot effectively show case his talent. And I know for a fact there coaches try every way in the world to convince there players not to play other sports. Now I have said my peace and JM done with this topic. Go tigers!
I'm going to be very upfront. It is very difficult to play 3 sports in hs, but one can be very successful in 2. There are very few young men who get the opportunity to play at the next level whether it be D1, D2, D3 or NAIA. If I were Wes I probably would focus on one. He has the athleticism to play at some level in college in both sports if he continues to progress. The whole D1 thing needs to be put into perspective. Way too many kids parents have outrageous beliefs. The 4 best guards in the state tournament (Justice, Gilbert, McDaniel and Ruthsatz) and none have committed or signed to a D1 scholarship for basketball. I'm not a football expert or recruiter but I do believe it is easier to play at the next level, or rather get a scholarship. An example being Hudson from Hazard who played 1 season of football before signing to play D1. Kids need to play, have fun and bust their butt if they have dreams of furthering there career. A scholarship is a scholarship whether it be Alice Lloyd, Union, EKU, or UK.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:I'm going to be very upfront. It is very difficult to play 3 sports in hs, but one can be very successful in 2. There are very few young men who get the opportunity to play at the next level whether it be D1, D2, D3 or NAIA. If I were Wes I probably would focus on one. He has the athleticism to play at some level in college in both sports if he continues to progress. The whole D1 thing needs to be put into perspective. Way too many kids parents have outrageous beliefs. The 4 best guards in the state tournament (Justice, Gilbert, McDaniel and Ruthsatz) and none have committed or signed to a D1 scholarship for basketball. I'm not a football expert or recruiter but I do believe it is easier to play at the next level, or rather get a scholarship. An example being Hudson from Hazard who played 1 season of football before signing to play D1. Kids need to play, have fun and bust their butt if they have dreams of furthering there career. A scholarship is a scholarship whether it be Alice Lloyd, Union, EKU, or UK.

I agree with what u just said except 2 of the 4 does have D -1 offers. But u made my point exactly other than chip the kids are one sport athletes. Now if a kid cannot play at the next level then heck play 10 sports. But it all about each kids personal desires. If he wants to be a college athlete then he should be realistic. If he dedicates his self to one sport he will be better weather it be football, basketball or water polo
KING2 Wrote:Rome wasn't built in a day, it's pretty obvious you have a an axe to grind with the coaches, if not you would know that the numbers are up at an all time high. And that they have just know gotten over the mess Arnett left it in. But this is basketball, and you want to talk about football, come on man.

What numbers are we talking about that are up? I know your not talking about the win total.....Arnett had more wins his last season at CCHS (8) than we have had the last 3 seasons total (7).........The whole thing about is Wolfe is simple.....he plays wide reciever......his potential at that position will not be maximized at Clay because you have to have someone throw him the ball. Since Lewis graduated Clay has struggled at this position. I'm a die hard Clay fan.....I go to all the basketball and football games and most baseball games and I'm not dogging any sports....I am just stating the facts. Our football program is way down.....our baseball program is down this year...but that is to be expected because we have been on top for the past few years....and our basketball team is on top....
The argument to me comes down to just how good a kid is at both (or several) sports. Hudson is an example or McDaniel that a kid can go to a major college in more than one sport. There aren't as many of those kids out there as it may seem. There's an extremely short list of Jameis Winsons or Russell Westbrooks or heck even Matt Jones from Arkansas out there. What kids I come in contact with in public, at camps, schools, or whatever that play sports, I ALWAYS tell them to play whatever sports they desire (including my own family). The only other statement is if you become really good at one by the time you're, let's say a junior, and maybe average or below average at another and have major college expectations, you may want to consider just one.

If Wes Wolfe wants to play football, let him go. He's probably their second best player and a heck of an athlete. He is part of that exception.
Stay at the house !!
Wolfe will shine way more as a basketball player than a football player at Clay County. He is an unbelievable athlete, but he will prolly catch less than 20 passes in a whole season as a receiver at Clay. Carr will shine more as a football player because he runs the ball. Its his decision to make whether he wants to play both or just stick with one. Its very rare that a D1 player in any sport comes around. McDaniel is no doubt a D1 golfer, but to say he is that caliber of a basketball player is a little much. People in the mountains are not realistic at all about college basketball players. How many 6 foot white boys that can handle the ball well and shoot well have went on to play D1 basketball? I'll answer it for you. ZERO!!!!!!!
Excluding the rare D-1 scholarship, I believe athletic kids in our area INCREASE their odds of getting scholarships by playing multiple sports. A kid that can adjust and have the discipline to do well in more than one sport is a big plus to a recruiting coach.

I hope Wes (or any other kid) plays whatever he wants and has as much fun as possible while in high school...and doesn't listen to a bunch of fools that think they are some kind of prep school talent gurus.

Sorry, but anyone that would put pressure and stuff (like what's been said in this thread) in a kids head is nothing more than a fool.

If any of the dumb masses want to do something positive, encourage them to play, play and play some more. Play em all!
I agree on playing sports and having a good time while in high school. If you are good at something and win its gonna be fun no matter what. On the other hand, most of the kids in Eastern Kentucky can't pay for college out of pocket without financial assistance. A scholarship for sports gives kids an opportunity to go to college for free or paying very little. Whether you go to a small school or a D1 school college is expensive. As sophomores these kids don't have that in there head, but I guarantee there parents do. If a kid plays two sports and is good at both, but doesn't get offered a scholarship for either what have they accomplished. If they play one and concentrate on that sport and get a scholarship it will benefit him the rest of his life.
cchsfan4life Wrote:What numbers are we talking about that are up? I know your not talking about the win total.....Arnett had more wins his last season at CCHS (8) than we have had the last 3 seasons total (7).........The whole thing about is Wolfe is simple.....he plays wide reciever......his potential at that position will not be maximized at Clay because you have to have someone throw him the ball. Since Lewis graduated Clay has struggled at this position. I'm a die hard Clay fan.....I go to all the basketball and football games and most baseball games and I'm not dogging any sports....I am just stating the facts. Our football program is way down.....our baseball program is down this year...but that is to be expected because we have been on top for the past few years....and our basketball team is on top....

Help me understand your logic.

Basketball is doing good, so stay there while all's well?

Baseball is a bit down but they will be up soon, so it's cool to stay?

Football is "way down", so cut those teammates loose? Your position isn't the focus, so quit? The QB isn't going to throw you the ball 15 times a game because we have a very nice running back. You may have to block, return kicks, intercept passes or make big tackles to help your team win...Don't do that stuff, just quit!

Is this your logic, or am I misunderstanding?
#1anddone Wrote:I agree on playing sports and having a good time while in high school. If you are good at something and win its gonna be fun no matter what. On the other hand, most of the kids in Eastern Kentucky can't pay for college out of pocket without financial assistance. A scholarship for sports gives kids an opportunity to go to college for free or paying very little. Whether you go to a small school or a D1 school college is expensive. As sophomores these kids don't have that in there head, but I guarantee there parents do. If a kid plays two sports and is good at both, but doesn't get offered a scholarship for either what have they accomplished. If they play one and concentrate on that sport and get a scholarship it will benefit him the rest of his life.

Hey we all have opinions. I'm not arguing here, just stating my opinion.

I firmly believe, for example; if a high school football player has the desire, is athletic enough and willing to work hard enough to get a football scholarship, playing basketball will not impeded that path. Same goes for the basketball player that plays football.

If he doesn't have the desire and the work ethic, it's all fun and games anyway.

It is my opinion that encouraging a kid to quit a sport he loves has no positive outcome.

I'm an old man and have talked to so many guys that regretted not playing a particular sport while in high school. I've also talked to a bunch that will regret quitting one for the rest of their lives...I'm one of em. I lettered in football, track and basketball. I didn't play basketball my sophomore and junior years...I regret it every day.

Wes needs to do what Wes wants to do, if he does he'll be fine.