•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs. Fairview (1A State Championship) 11/30
Yeah are sports section is not what it used to be. 7th grade wins theWest Ky championship undefeated over Lone Oak and they didnt even take a picture to put in the paper same with the 8th being in the conference finals and make a deep run in the state tournament and nothing. I know it is petty but what else do we have going on. I know the resource are not there for a small town newspaper anymore but what good are you to not hit the local sports.
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:I wished Mayfield could get write ups in the paper or any other source. Good read on Fairview. I have no problem at all with the players that they got. Mayfield is also known to help kids who have had bad times.

Very true sportsfan, our paper really drops the ball on our local sports, you'd think with the success we have had they would want to write about the team more than once per year.
How physical is Mayfield? I have seen fairview a few times and they play very physical (borderline dirty, not that that is a bad thing. Hard hitting teams seem to get that rep). I have not seen much of Mayfield except on film and the Championship game last year (which Hazard was more physical in).
Noble Wrote:How physical is Mayfield? I have seen fairview a few times and they play very physical (borderline dirty, not that that is a bad thing. Hard hitting teams seem to get that rep). I have not seen much of Mayfield except on film and the Championship game last year (which Hazard was more physical in).

Extremely physical esp the linebackers Jonathan Jackson is first team all.state for a reason. Some of the hardest hits i have seen him give were running the ball.
Lots of hype leading up to this game! I love it... Mayfield is the obvious Goliath here but you cant turn your head on what fairview has done.... 14-0... and beat the defending state champs 40-6 without a single pass.... Fairview may not be able to defend mayfields pass very well... but mayfield wont be able to stop Fairviews run every drive either, say what you want! Mayfields star backer will of course do what he does and stop the run attack, but one man cant stop Fairviews Three headed bruising run game! Hazard did not want anymore of fairview after that game....

Both of these teams are great and i believe it will stay close, maybe hazards experience and winning tradition will give them the edge, but you cant throw this Fairview team out!

Fairview- 34
Mayfield- 28

:champ::champ::champ::champ::champ::champ::champ:
Blitz Wrote:Lots of hype leading up to this game! I love it... Mayfield is the obvious Goliath here but you cant turn your head on what fairview has done.... 14-0... and beat the defending state champs 40-6 without a single pass.... Fairview may not be able to defend mayfields pass very well... but mayfield wont be able to stop Fairviews run every drive either, say what you want! Mayfields star backer will of course do what he does and stop the run attack, but one man cant stop Fairviews Three headed bruising run game! Hazard did not want anymore of fairview after that game....

Both of these teams are great and i believe it will stay close, maybe hazards experience and winning tradition will give them the edge, but you cant throw this Fairview team out!

Fairview- 34
Mayfield- 28

:champ::champ::champ::champ::champ::champ::champ:

I too love all the hype surrounding this game, makes it exciting. If you beat a team without throwing a single pass I think that says a lot about how good the defense really was, I guess Hazard could not stop the running game?
We have less than 3 days left. I'm like 64, I may stroke out here from the excitement. I cant wait.
I'm on life support with fairview and belfry bring the championships back to eastern kentucky.:runtouchd:blondnurs
Stack the Box. Make Fairview throw. Huge weakness is at QB. If you get them in 3rd and long they just like to chuck it down field and hope one of their athletes goes and gets it. they will run some wildcat with king also. If not for the big play they wouldn't have beat Raceland. I know their people will dispute that. but king had 8 touches for 8 yards. Turner killed us with about 130 on the ground but 80 of those came on one play. other than the big plays they hit they really didn't do much against Raceland. we got them in 3rd and long and their QB just threw it up for grabs and their athletes made some great grabs. Defensively they always like to bring one more than you can block on every down. they also like to do press coverage with their corners right up on your receivers. They may not do this against Mayfield because mayfield has more athletes than Fairview does. there ya go mayfield I've told you how to beat Fairview. Now go out and execute.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Stack the Box. Make Fairview throw. Huge weakness is at QB. If you get them in 3rd and long they just like to chuck it down field and hope one of their athletes goes and gets it. they will run some wildcat with king also. If not for the big play they wouldn't have beat Raceland. I know their people will dispute that. but king had 8 touches for 8 yards. Turner killed us with about 130 on the ground but 80 of those came on one play. other than the big plays they hit they really didn't do much against Raceland. we got them in 3rd and long and their QB just threw it up for grabs and their athletes made some great grabs. Defensively they always like to bring one more than you can block on every down. they also like to do press coverage with their corners right up on your receivers. They may not do this against Mayfield because mayfield has more athletes than Fairview does. there ya go mayfield I've told you how to beat Fairview. Now go out and execute.

If they use that game plan against us it will get ugly. However i believe they have a good coach and they will play us honest in the blitz. I hope they do stack the box on us and play man to man. 2700 yrds passing a 32 to 1 td to int ratio. I am also very encouraged in what i have heard about their kicking game. If the game is close that could be huge.
Ram, we appreciate it. I'm sure our staff has looked at film of your game and figured that out. That is the thing about this bunch, they have a great coaching staff. I will give you a bit of info that you didn't know. Our head coach has over 200 wins as a head coach. He has head coached in 5 state championship games. He asstd in over 4 others. I believe he even played in some. He also still has his dad to ask any questions of. His dad coached in I think 9 other state championship games. He also has an ex head coach on his staff that was very good as a head coach and is now retired. He was always very good with coaching a power running game. This ex head coach has a son that is our offensive coordinator. This offensive coordinator is a ex quarter back from the 90's and played college ball at that position. This ex head football coach also has another son helping in coaching. That is why our program is what it is. I haven't coached anything but elementary football and looking at the film that I have seen, I could tell that. I can also tell that our best db can take away their best wr. As far as bringing the house against us, that may be a good idea against a running team that can pass a little. However, if you bring the house against a team that throws well like ours, the hot reads, slants and even verticles will kill them.
mysonis55 Wrote:Ram, we appreciate it. I'm sure our staff has looked at film of your game and figured that out. That is the thing about this bunch, they have a great coaching staff. I will give you a bit of info that you didn't know. Our head coach has over 200 wins as a head coach. He has head coached in 5 state championship games. He asstd in over 4 others. I believe he even played in some. He also still has his dad to ask any questions of. His dad coached in I think 9 other state championship games. He also has an ex head coach on his staff that was very good as a head coach and is now retired. He was always very good with coaching a power running game. This ex head coach has a son that is our offensive coordinator. This offensive coordinator is a ex quarter back from the 90's and played college ball at that position. This ex head football coach also has another son helping in coaching. That is why our program is what it is. I haven't coached anything but elementary football and looking at the film that I have seen, I could tell that. I can also tell that our best db can take away their best wr. As far as bringing the house against us, that may be a good idea against a running team that can pass a little. However, if you bring the house against a team that throws well like ours, the hot reads, slants and even verticles will kill them.

Old number 55 Joe Morris was a heck of a Nose guard on the 85 2a state championship against Newport Cath. Btw 55 was Joe's number to wasnt calling you old. Lol!
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Stack the Box. Make Fairview throw. Huge weakness is at QB. If you get them in 3rd and long they just like to chuck it down field and hope one of their athletes goes and gets it. they will run some wildcat with king also. If not for the big play they wouldn't have beat Raceland. I know their people will dispute that. but king had 8 touches for 8 yards. Turner killed us with about 130 on the ground but 80 of those came on one play. other than the big plays they hit they really didn't do much against Raceland. we got them in 3rd and long and their QB just threw it up for grabs and their athletes made some great grabs. Defensively they always like to bring one more than you can block on every down. they also like to do press coverage with their corners right up on your receivers. They may not do this against Mayfield because mayfield has more athletes than Fairview does. there ya go mayfield I've told you how to beat Fairview. Now go out and execute.

Thanks ram... althought myson stated that are coaches prob already know this I still enjoyed the info for I have not had the time to watch all the films I rely on ppl like u to inform us..
Its pretty much like myson stated.. they putem in the box and the screen and slants will kill them . Containing their running game will be the whole focus of the game.. it may take a posession or two but we will adjust and shut them down .. hence the bw game .. it took till halftime to stop it.. but it all stopped for them once we regrouped.. if we force them to chuck it. Well its is going to get ugly.. im still stickin with my score.
48-13. Mayfield. Oh ya. FBALL how about that bet..
That's alright, I'm right around the same age as coach Joe. I remember those days. Speaking of bet, I still gotta collect from someone that bet me at the Milan scrimmage that we wouldn't make it. They had us going 1-4 in our first 5 games.
I know the whole "weak" schedule for Fairview has been dismissed after the win against Hazard, but has anyone considered the fact that Hazard really wasn't a great team this year. A nice win it was, but let's not confuse a sirloin for a porterhouse.

And don't come out wide-eyed about being in your first state championship. If it takes you a quarter to come down to earth, you will already be behind 3 touchdowns and never catch up.
mysonis55 Wrote:That's alright, I'm right around the same age as coach Joe. I remember those days. Speaking of bet, I still gotta collect from someone that bet me at the Milan scrimmage that we wouldn't make it. They had us going 1-4 in our first 5 games.

Ha that was a bust... while most of my family said the same thing. I just never saw it happening.. I knew we would be right bac on top as long as the injury slate stayed clean
The great thing is the talent is still there for years to come. We have a 6th grade team that is undefeated for the past 3 years. Our 7th grade was undefeated. Our 8th grade only had losses to the eventual state champs in Butler Co by the smallest margin all year and also to 4a Lone Oak. The jv went deep into playoffs this year as well. Our varsity line is mostly sophomores and juniors and our qb is a junior. We also have several of our receivers back and two rb's back.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Thanks ram... althought myson stated that are coaches prob already know this I still enjoyed the info for I have not had the time to watch all the films I rely on ppl like u to inform us..
Its pretty much like myson stated.. they putem in the box and the screen and slants will kill them . Containing their running game will be the whole focus of the game.. it may take a posession or two but we will adjust and shut them down .. hence the bw game .. it took till halftime to stop it.. but it all stopped for them once we regrouped.. if we force them to chuck it. Well its is going to get ugly.. im still stickin with my score.

Watch out for their trick play. They will probably try to run on their first play. they will send king in motion and pitch him the ball and he will throw it to rutheford. Trust me....get them in 3rd and long and you will have a field day.
King kid doesn't like to get hit either. Turner is the real deal though. he runs hard and isn't afraid of contact. Brewer isn't much shut turner down and you shut Fairview down.
rednblackattack Wrote:Old number 55 Joe Morris was a heck of a Nose guard on the 85 2a state championship against Newport Cath. Btw 55 was Joe's number to wasnt calling you old. Lol!

Joe didn't play in any title games. He missed it by a year. 84 was his last football season
Fairview has to run the ball at us, thats a given, they got to see if their running game is going to be effective against Mayfield's D, so its pretty much a given what the first series of plays are going to be. I have been wondering how Fairview will react to getting hit by this Mayfield team, this D will lay the wood as well.
Yeah, I saw that halfback pass on the highlight video. I didn't realize the qb was a freshman. Beechwood had that as well. It didn't fair so well for them when he met Mr Jackson. I noticed the speedster was alright with someone trying to arm tackle him and hit him high. If he takes one of those shots like Mills put on the Beechwood kid Fri, I wonder how he will respond. He hit one low and the kid did a complete flip and came down on his tailbone. I noticed alot of the teams they played didn't wrap up very much on defense, even on the back up backs. I certainly hope we are more disciplined than that.
I don't think it is so much wrapping up. I saw turner carry four guys against hazard. Also king is by you so fast all you can really do is flail at him and hope you bring him down. This fairview team I gonna surprise everyone.
Well can the Cardinals get physical and get used being knocked off the line by Fairviews big physical line, there will be some Mayfield players getting pancaked blocked, with the Eagles you can not key on one player in the backfield, they have 3 backs that can run the ball, they can throw if they have to, what will decide this game will be turnovers and if the Eagles get off to a good start, Mayfield better be ready for smashmouth football, cause the Eagles will bring it, also count the Cardinals that get pancaked blocked.
old warrior Wrote:Well can the Cardinals get physical and get used being knocked off the line by Fairviews big physical line, there will be some Mayfield players getting pancaked blocked, with the Eagles you can not key on one player in the backfield, they have 3 backs that can run the ball, they can throw if they have to, what will decide this game will be turnovers and if the Eagles get off to a good start, Mayfield better be ready for smashmouth football, cause the Eagles will bring it, also count the Cardinals that get pancaked blocked.

:eyeroll::hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
You have no idea but school will be in session Friday
Fairview was good enough to get to the Championship game. They deserve credit for that. In games where Mayfield was tied or behind early, they made adjustments, played solid defense, mixed up the offense and prevailed. Everyone is talking about this run game or that passing game. The one thing that Mayfield has is the ability to adjust. Large, fast, hard hitting, it doesn't matter. This team know how to make ADJUSTMENTS! I can't overstate that enough. One other thing many people not from Mayfield don't know is this senior group has been to the State Championship game all 4 of their high school years. They are experienced on how to handle the biggest of stages. With this being the first championship game ever for Fairview, I can't help but wonder if the enormity of this event will cause them to freak out and forget about fundamentals and start playing panic ball especially if they get behind early. I know that one any given day a team can win, but on this certain given day, I gotta go with the Cards. I'm looking forward to another great celebration when the team brings home Championship NUMBER 9. Ironically the same number that the most driven player on our team wears. Beware of the Beast, Jonathan Jackson.:1:
old warrior Wrote:Well can the Cardinals get physical and get used being knocked off the line by Fairviews big physical line, there will be some Mayfield players getting pancaked blocked, with the Eagles you can not key on one player in the backfield, they have 3 backs that can run the ball, they can throw if they have to, what will decide this game will be turnovers and if the Eagles get off to a good start, Mayfield better be ready for smashmouth football, cause the Eagles will bring it, also count the Cardinals that get pancaked blocked.

Other than your use of the term Smashmouth, I'd say you are delusional. The Cardinals have played some of the best teams in Kentucky this year and have not only won but had a running clock against many of them. You're entitled to your opinion, but so am I. Fairview may try to make it close but I see The Cardinals running away with this one.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Thanks ram... althought myson stated that are coaches prob already know this I still enjoyed the info for I have not had the time to watch all the films I rely on ppl like u to inform us..

Go away for a couple of days and its still the same stuff.

I don't take PayPal but ill make you an avatar bet. I get 21 points. Mayfield wins by 21 or more ill put up a Mayfield avatar for a year. Fairview covers your 3 TD spread you have to put up a Russell avatar for a year.

There you go. Your call.

We have brought up at least twice now that Graves County has College size oline and are a very good 5a school and we handled them. Not worried about being handled or dominated atthe line by anyone.
rednblackattack Wrote:We have brought up at least twice now that Graves County has College size oline and are a very good 5a school and we handled them. Not worried about being handled or dominated atthe line by anyone.

Anyone who says any team has college size online obviously had never seen a college team In person. I saw a 1-11 division 2 team in western Carolina play against Marshall this yeah and everyone on there team was bigger than any single high school player I saw this year. Graves county may have been big. But no where near college size.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next