Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 53 Prestonsburg 6
Way to go Pirates.. settle down and roll on..
I am with you guys..the backfield of Hatfield, Johnson, Carr appears to be the winning ticket right now.

Hatfield has some Charlie Dotson to him. Love his aggressiveness in how he attacks every play, this goes for both sides of the football.

False starts and motion penalties made their first appearance this year. Have to sure those up. Taking points off the board against an Ashland, JC, Breathitt, or Garrard County will be the difference in winning and losing. I would say converting a 3rd and 3 Belfry normally has about an 80% chance, converting a 3rd and 8 I say that percentage is more like 30%.
The Blackcats with 5 turnovers... pretty much says it all. Hate seeing P-burg hide in the locker room after the fumble before the half (0-33 after halftime - blech !!!).

Don't know why or how it's happened, but Prestonsburg has completely forgotten how to play defense vs. the run. In all the years of following them, it's a first for me. Even in P-burg's lean years the defense was never this bad against the running game. I do NOT like it.

Good luck Pirates the rest of the way !!!
Prestonsburg CAN YOU SAY " Defense" ...

Much respect to Haywood and the classy program he has built for Belfry ...
IMO Johnson is the best back in the mountain ....man oh man , can that boy run !
wow prestonsburg must be down
Lord have mercy on the Panthers, Cards, and Warriors!!!
Belfry0304 Wrote:Lastly, Sani is finally settling in and not trying to do too much or be Mr. Everything, he has to progress as a starting quarterback. Obviously pressure is a factor, because when he came in blowout games last year with none he displayed raw talent and some beautiful passes. Just let him get settled and I think we could come together very nicely. These kids have to stop believing the hype and starting making it real. You're only as good as how hard you work, not how much you're talked about in the media or on BGR.
slow down mr. 304, i dont think sani has attempted to be "MR. EVERYTHING" in this game or the two previous games. the kid has played 3 games as a starter and has thrown 2 interceptions (no pick 6 or game losing pick), so slow down on slinging around judgments about a kid who has sat two years patiently, worked his tail off in every off season (even when he had no chance to replace the starting qb), and doesnt complain when he has pressure. belfry fans kill me! when the offense looks bad the qb is trying too hard, when they improve he is settling in. as for him believing the hype, he stays grounded in hard work, dedication, and focus. any "hype" about sani warren has been earned not given mr. 304. the "hype" is created by the fans and then when he doesnt throw 4 td's or run for 150 yards a game he's trying to do too much. it is a team sport and he plays it that way, always has from knee high so slow down pointing fingers making claims that a kid was trying to be "MR. EVERYTHING"
I absolutely LOVE what Sani Warren brings to the table on both sides of the ball. He is doing a fantastic job IMO. Last night the most impressive thing he did likely will go unnoticed and unmentioned. He made great ball fakes and great reads while running the base offense. A lot of those long runs resulted because the linebackers were frozen by the QB fakes. Johnson made a living on the counter and that is a big reason why. A couple of times Sani rode the fullback way up in there, made the read and kept the ball and helped to gain great yardage either keeping it himself or making the pitch. Once in particular I noticed about 4 defenders tackling the FB while Sani still had the ball going around the end.

He has been the starter for 3 games, I can't wait to see how slick we are going to be on offense by playoff time. I am a big fan of #6.
I Ike the fact that the Belfry staff is plugging players into different roles which in return should develop depth. I agree with all the previous chatter about the potential new backfield and Taylor becoming the option at wideout. I love the offensive line and I agree that we shouldn't totally dismiss Robinson. His versatility will pay off. JJ and Carr continue to play great and I really like where the team is at after 3 games. They are a work in progress with great potential with some injured players getting healthy.
Let's all remember this is a team sport based on the combined efforts of individuals. It just so happens that the QB at Belfry is in the limelight because 1. They are a high- profile 3A program and 2. He directs an offense that has its success based so much on QB reads. ALL players have a specific role on the team and on every play. Many times too much burden or blame is placed on individuals when breakdowns occur. This team IMO will be primed when it's time to be primed. Looking bad or looking great is irrelevant in early September. Growing and learning as a team from both mistakes and great plays will help this team immensely.
Great game Belfry but they still have a lot to work on i lost count of all the false starts that can kill drive ...
I agree BUC totally. I also liked the fact the Sani got a ill rest both ways. His value is immense and he doesn't need to be in games that are long decided. Watching his development will be one of the many exciting aspects of this season!!!
Sani played excellent IMO, save the one bad throw. He held the pitch until the last second on the option play in which Johnson took it to the house. Perfect execution on that play. Robinson also blocked his guy for 40 yards.
A couple more observations. Messer's hit on Anderson was as hard as they come. Pburg thought it was either too high or helmet to helmet. What did you all think? Finally, Sani standing in the pocket on the TD pass to Carr was fantastic, especially considering he got nailed in the pocket in the first half.
That hit on the halfback pass was a strange play. Anderson was obviously looking for a throwback to Jarrell, but he just stood up like a statue and didn't see it coming from his blind side. It made him look defenseless, but that was because it was a blindside shot. Good hard hitting defense.

A. Hatfield looked good IMO from the fullback spot. Keeps his legs driving and showed better speed than I expected frankly.
i continue to be impressed at the down field blocking of this team. tony messer is a blocking machine! the offensive line has dominated the line of scrimmage in every game to this point and those boys deserve alot of credit because belfry will only go as far they take them. they are over looked alot of times but they are the key to the success of the pirates. its been that way for years and this year will be no different. keep up the good work boys, as long as you continue to block for one another the sky is the limit.
Our O line is really good and Messer, Carr, and Robinson all stay on their blocks. Having a big, athletic O line will pay big dividends for the Pirates all season.
Belfry's center was pancaking #79 ALL NIGHT. It seemed like every play was a pancake.
these boys will gel in due time. they seem to play very unselfish at this point and thats what it takes. my biggest concern for them is if they will rise when the chips are down and their backs are against the wall? i ask that because of the way they responded against henry clay in the 2nd quarter after the second fumble. it seemed to me that they had given up. just hope they rise in the face of adversity is all.
i didnt get to hear the game,but if its hatfield at fb,carr and jj at hb,sounds good,josh could always step in as a change of pace and save him on defense...
Nice win....can't wait until the Ashland game.
belfry looked good tonight . and as far as justin johnson being the best back in the mountains very true. we have knew as well as area coaches that he would be a force to reckon with. and he was good enough to start as a freshman on any ball club. sophmore year rushed for 978 yards and out 3 games.and his stats not padded does not play but 1 quarter against weaker teams were he could have 400 to 500 yds a game. good luck pirates hope ur season is a state championship:welcome:
Notes from a long night on Pond Creek:

Um....Belfry is really, really good. This team may pan out to be better than the 2A Championship teams.

The result of this game is what most people feared at the start of the year: What will happen on the road when this young Prestonsburg team has some breaks go against them? How will they respond? Well, last night we didn't respond very well...although I suspect Belfry had a little to do with that.

Belfry controlled the Line of Scrimmage on both sides of the ball all night. Not even close. Johnson is the best RB I have seen in some time. Warren was very poised under center and made good reads all night.

5 turnovers simply killed any chance at changing the momentum of the game. On the Anderson fumble/touchback, IF Anderson fumbled the ball prior to crossing the goal line, then the call was correct. I understand that there was some confusion about WHEN the ball came loose, and was told that Cecil made the comment that "he didn't maintain control after he crossed the goal line". Don't know if that is true or not, but if that is why the touchback call was made, it was a blown call. Belfry was still the far superior team, and it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but a score there and a little momentum may have made a difference.

The Messer hit on Anderson was a 50:50 call. What Pburg was upset about (and from our sideline we had a pretty good view of the play) was that it appeared Messer launched himself head first into the head of Anderson. Bang-Bang play, and a tough call to make.

Defensively, Prestonsburg is struggling. Gap control and blitzes give us the best chance at the current time, because this young team simply doesn't have the athletes at key positions to be able to play keys and read. However, if we continue to lose the battle at the point of impact, it doesn't matter. Tackling was still terrible.

Playing without Bryson Williams hurt on both sides of the ball. Prestonsburg played with freshmen CB's all night, and Chatlin Jarrell weighs in at about 120. He is fearless, but sweeps to his side were guaranteed big plays.

I expect this Belfry team to make it to the Championship game, and this may be the year for a 3A Title for them. Congrats and good luck the rest of the year.

Prestonsburg needs to keep working on the fundamentals: blocking and tackling. It is still early in the season, and a little improvement every day can make a huge difference in the season. Don't hang your heads and let this loss define your season. Get back to work and get better.
@cat86 great post, like always. Hopefully our Blackcats can improve their defense before taking on Wes Pugh from Pike Central
bucslover68 Wrote:Let's all remember this is a team sport based on the combined efforts of individuals. It just so happens that the QB at Belfry is in the limelight because 1. They are a high- profile 3A program and 2. He directs an offense that has its success based so much on QB reads. ALL players have a specific role on the team and on every play. Many times too much burden or blame is placed on individuals when breakdowns occur. This team IMO will be primed when it's time to be primed. Looking bad or looking great is irrelevant in early September. Growing and learning as a team from both mistakes and great plays will help this team immensely.

i do agree bucslover, and i was wrong about belfry ,man i hate the taste of crow lol.
Thanks for the input Cat86. Hopefully Williams will be able to get back in the fold for you guys.

Does anyone have an injury report on Zach Taylor, Fransico, and Ghormley from Belfry?
cat 86 you must have been watching another game. most of the big plays were up the middle straight through the line and linebackers! every one on d needs improvement mainley the linebackers, thay couldnt stop an old lady up the middle. yes chat is small but he will get bigger and stronger. sounds to me like you are saying one player lost the game for the black cats 6 turnovers that chat had nothing to do with may have had somthing to do with it as well. as for chatlin playing, get over it, he isnt going away!
Confusednicker:^ Ha. Got to love when moms get on here and defend their kids.
Good grief...
Nice post cat86...

Just got a little too close to the mama bear...

HAHA