Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 53 Prestonsburg 6
Pirates explode offensively. Huge night for Justin Johnson.
Damn!!!!
Wow, what a night from Johnson. I knew Belfry would bounce back in a big way.

Congrats Pirates.
Congrats on a big night Pirate fans!
Knew Pburg wouldn't be able to stop the run.

Hopefully the Blackcats can put this one behind them because therest of the schedule is very winnable.

Congrats Pirates
Congratulations Pirates!
Warren 3/6 73 yds 2 TD, INT
Johnson 13 carries, 270 yds, 4 TD
Hatfield 55 yds

396 rushing, 73 passing
469 Total Yards

Jarrell 10/24, 156 yds, TD, INT
34 yds rushing
Pburg: 190 total yards
5 Turnovers
congrats to Pirates, need more work on the passing though...
Belfry puts up big numbers, but still I wouldn't give them an A or maybe even a B grade.

Pirates were ragged in the First Half and cost themselves at least 2 TD's, possibly 3 TD's, with numerous costly penalties. Passing game got on track in the 2nd Half, but timing was way off in the 1st Half.

Pburg had trouble with turning it over. The back breaker was when Anderson went airborn at the goalline and fumbled through the endzone. Pburg could have entered the Half Down 20-14, this wound up as the nail in their coffin.
Wow.......
Hey wideright where you at? what happen to a close game and P Burg winning. The only time this game was close was when it said 0-0 at the start of the game. That being said, Pirates definatly played better than last week. Heck of a game for Johnson, and No. 5 Austin Hatfield will be hard to handle as the season goes on. WAY TO GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!LETS KEEP ROLLIN!!!!!!TongueirateSho:Skull03:
Good job Pirates, I'm gonna be back on Pond Creek for the East Ridge game cant wait to see you all play... 10 year class reunion :-)
Congrats to the PIRATES!!!
Good job boy's keep up the hard work and thing's will just get better for you and the team:Thumbs:

Go Big Red:redboxer:
JJ was the man tonight. On all of his long runs except one, he had to run through an arm tackle. His offseason work is showing off as he is consistently running through arm/jersey grabs this season and then walking off and leaving people.

Sani should have been 4-6 for 3 TD's. Wink I'm sure Messer wouldn't even say otherwise. Ball was put right on the money. The pick was a poor throw however. Messer was open on that play but the ball needed some air and needed to lead Tony. Will improve with experience. On a bright note, it looks like Belfry will be able to play #4 Taylor ALOT on offense at WR - which lets Cam Johnson focus on safety. The more guys settling into roles, especially where it allows a two platoon situation is a positive IMO.

Belfry still had #54 Taylor (OG), #44 Ghormley (ILB), and #10 Fransico (OLB) in street clothes in this game. Timmy May played well IMO at OLB. He is constantly being coached up, but is active and agressive. I thought A. Hatfield looked good at ILB, but when Ghormley comes back and Hatfield can move back to the D-line, the defense only gets better. It appears Haywood plans to use Barnes at NOSE on 50/50 or running plays, while using a quicker nose on obvious passing downs. H. Hatfield, #16, and #56 all got after the QB fromt their D-line spots.

Belfry's o-line has very good size, and look to be developing some nice depth. At this point, you have Jude, Taylor, May, Francis, Willis -- and Barnes, J. Duty, and even #73 and #67 who look like are solid. That is a nice 8 man rotation. BUT, have to cut down on the drive killing false starts. That is something that just takes time and practice.

Overall, Belfry reminded me tonight why we all had such high expectations. PLENTY of work to do in all facets of the game, but a positive night IMO.
Congrats Pirates!
skully03 Wrote:Hey wideright where you at? what happen to a close game and P Burg winning. The only time this game was close was when it said 0-0 at the start of the game. That being said, Pirates definatly played better than last week. Heck of a game for Johnson, and No. 5 Austin Hatfield will be hard to handle as the season goes on. WAY TO GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!LETS KEEP ROLLIN!!!!!!TongueirateSho:Skull03:

I'm right here Skully. Yes, Belfry got killed against Henry Clay but they bounced back in a big way this week. Prestonsburg is a powderpuff but Belfry deserves credit for coming back and playing a strong game. Congratulations.
WideRight05 Wrote:I'm right here Skully. Yes, Belfry got killed against Henry Clay but they bounced back in a big way this week. Prestonsburg is a powderpuff but Belfry deserves credit for coming back and playing a strong game. Congratulations.
I had to say it i know we all give each other a hard time on here. But honestly i did think PBurg would give us a little better game. Just glad to see Belfry played better than last week. Still need to improve on some aspects of the game.
Belfry just flat out kicked our asses tonight! Johnson is the best player I've seen in the mountains this year!
JJ isn't going to get enough carries to rack up major yards (due to weak comp in some games - game getting out of hand) but he does look very explosive.

Week 1 - 1 carry for 50 plus and score
Week 2 - 18 for 169 and a couple TD's against Henry Clay
Week 3 - 12 - 270 and 4 TD's

The crazy thing is about Belfry - althougth they will have many great Seniors on this team, #28, #6, #7 are all JR's... and #5 is a So. Backfield next year will be insane.
PaytoPlay Wrote:JJ isn't going to get enough carries to rack up major yards (due to weak comp in some games - game getting out of hand) but he does look very explosive.

Week 1 - 1 carry for 50 plus and score
Week 2 - 18 for 169 and a couple TD's against Henry Clay
Week 3 - 12 - 270 and 4 TD's

The crazy thing is about Belfry - althougth they will have many great Seniors on this team, #28, #6, #7 are all JR's... and #5 is a So. Backfield next year will be insane.
The back field will be a force to be reckoned with. #5 is going to be a beast later in the season. Cant wait to see him next year with a another year under his belt. All we need to do now is complete the easy passes that we missed. Have to get Messer involved.
skully03 Wrote:I had to say it i know we all give each other a hard time on here. But honestly i did think PBurg would give us a little better game. Just glad to see Belfry played better than last week. Still need to improve on some aspects of the game.

It's cool man. I know I'm a complete asshole! I thought this one would be closer too.
^ I agree Messer is a weapon on offense. But to be fair, I do see us "involving" him. Very often he is streaking the center of the field and drawing ALOT of attention from safeties. That leave other guys like Taylor and Carr open. Warren threw twice to him tonight. He was open both times. One ball was poorly thrown and resulted in a pick. The other ball was on the money and Tony should have hauled it in for 6. Im sure he wouldn't say otherwise.

The passing game is going to progress. I would like to see us work on some straight drops and quick timing routes. I think we could easily do it out of our base set.

Example... Flexbone - straight drop, no playfake. Flare Robinson into the flat, have Carr slide into where Robinson left from, let JJ block the backside. 3 man route - Deep Post from WR. 15 and out from TE. If it covered up, throw it out of bounds.

The playbook can be expanded IMO, but even with the normal stuff we are used to, I expect the execution to get better as the year goes on.
Belfry never punted in this game.

WideRight05,

I actually like what you have to say most of the time. Fair amount of truth in many of your posts. Belfry isn't Highland. But, our community, staff, and players are dedicated to being the best program we can be. Sometimes our fans get a bit too proud.

I would hope you can at least appreciate how much we "give a ****" about our program.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ I agree Messer is a weapon on offense. But to be fair, I do see us "involving" him. Very often he is streaking the center of the field and drawing ALOT of attention from safeties. That leave other guys like Taylor and Carr open. Warren threw twice to him tonight. He was open both times. One ball was poorly thrown and resulted in a pick. The other ball was on the money and Tony should have hauled it in for 6. Im sure he wouldn't say otherwise.

The passing game is going to progress. I would like to see us work on some straight drops and quick timing routes. I think we could easily do it out of our base set.

Example... Flexbone - straight drop, no playfake. Flare Robinson into the flat, have Carr slide into where Robinson left from, let JJ block the backside. 3 man route - Deep Post from WR. 15 and out from TE. If it covered up, throw it out of bounds.

The playbook can be expanded IMO, but even with the normal stuff we are used to, I expect the execution to get better as the year goes on.
Your right. I guess as long as he is drawing attention from some of the other recievers thats good. I also agree about the strait drop back passing attack.Talk about confusing defenses when Belfry dont use the play action. They wont know what to do. LOL
Guys, arguing with the dude is fun, I personally love WideRight, he might piss you off to the extreme but he'll admit to being wrong.

Good night and confidence boost against a little bit down of a Prestonsburg team. QB #1 could really play. Justin Johnson looks extremely good thus far, and I really like the Carr/Hatfield/Johnson backfield allowing Robinson to focus on safety and stay fresh. I realize he is a 3 year starter and outstanding blocker, but Hatfield/Carr are too good offensively not to use and this works out EXTREMELY well. Let Robinson play a little WR, perhaps? Keaton Taylor is fast. Kid is a hell of an athlete, anyone who knows him will agree. Hope to see him in the game at WR more often. Also, Trenity Carr showed the ability to catch the ball on his TD tonight. Overall solid showing for the Pirates to get that confidence back.
Lastly, Sani is finally settling in and not trying to do too much or be Mr. Everything, he has to progress as a starting quarterback. Obviously pressure is a factor, because when he came in blowout games last year with none he displayed raw talent and some beautiful passes. Just let him get settled and I think we could come together very nicely. These kids have to stop believing the hype and starting making it real. You're only as good as how hard you work, not how much you're talked about in the media or on BGR.
Since 0304 is up Wink

I tend to agree a bit with Robinson. BUT, I would tweak it a bit by saying this. Use a 4 man rotation. Let Robinson and Carr both see time at HB. Let Carr and Hatfield both see time at FB. Robinson is the best blocker in the Belfry backfield. He also has great hands and good speed. He just runs upright a bit. He is a quality player and a leader on this team. But, he is also versatile enough to split out if you need him. Most importantly, the young man is experienced and smart -- and if the coaches expect him to learn WR or other roles in addition to his RB spot and Safety spot, I am confident he can get it done.

K. Taylor has the raw ability. He is lean and not yet developed, but the natural ability shines through, as was shown by that big catch laying completely out. Taylor seemed to be lost a few times on plays at WR, but I noticed he never lined up there in week 1. I can only assume he is just now learning the position. I know he is also the backup QB and can run the football, but with Carr and JJ being juniors and K. Carr and X. Willis in the stables, he would seem to be the kind of athlete that we should develop into a great weapon at WR in the meantime.
Completely agree, let him run HB some as well and put Keaton/Eli/Cameron play WR, we have depth let's use it. As far as Keaton, he's an athlete man. He can do about anything. He's a little skinny, but can play about anything. He's our backup QB, a sometimes halfback, and working his way into more playing time at wide receiver. Imagine if he can become a deep threat. It would make it a whole lot harder to cover Messer, plus if Trenity is catching balls? Uh oh. We need to continue using the running game with a stable of Hatfield/Carr/Robinson/Johnson any way we can, as well as letting Sani Warren settle in throwing it. We are younger than most people realize in the skill positions and offensively, if we do just as Coach Haywood wants and get a little better each week, by the end of the season we may develop into a dangerous team, but if they sink back into content mode and think we're getting the state title on hype alone ... throw away the next 12 potential games and let's forget about football.
No doubt. Belfry might walk through the next few games, but Ashland @ Putnam will be another oppurtunity at a wake up call. If the boys want to be great, they better stay humble. I think they know that. But it is football - it is supposed to be fun.

I can't help but wonder how the team looks when Zach Taylor, Fransisco, and Ghormley get back in the mix. I know Taylor is a darn good olineman. IMO Ghormley might be our best defensive stopper.

One thing is for sure as far as I can tell; JJ is focused. Kid has really impressed me thus far.