Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 7 Ashland Blazer 6
jetpilot Wrote:LOL why not get the second unit some work against good competition?
Sometimes Belfry does the right thing, sometimes they don't.

Looks like Belfry got it right in this one... TongueirateSho
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I hedged my bet..I was going to be a winner either way Big Grin

You won the game and lost the money.
I won the money.
I guess we are both happy. Let's do it again next week.:biggrin:
What a great night to be a Belfry Pirate fan!!! I can't say enough about how the boys played with intensity, determination, and pride!!! It was a defensive battle all night! Great job on getting in the backfield several times to put pressure on the QB. Tony Messer had one helluva tackle at the beginning of the game!! Madison Ghormley made some huge tackles and sacked the QB. Zack Thacker laid some big hits as well! Great job boys.

I have to give a shout out to Trey Willis and Justin Johnson for moving the ball so consistently on offense. Trey was killing them up the middle and Justin was breaking away for some big yardage!!

I agree with the previous posters about the bad sportsmanship from #80 from Ashland at the end of the game. I understand that these are kids and emotions tend get the best of them, but at some point in time they have to be held responsible for their actions. You need to learn to lose with as much dignity as you win with!

GREAT JOB BELFRY...KEEP IT ROLLING!!!!:rockon:
More Cowbell Wrote:Looks like Belfry got it right in this one... TongueirateSho

Nothing uglier than a Shelby Valley fan on the Belfry bandwagon.:lame:
jetpilot Wrote:You won the game and lost the money.
I won the money.
I guess we are both happy. Let's do it again next week.:biggrin:

No offense to Lawrence County...but with the record looming for Haywood I think the easy money is to go with my heart.TongueirateSho
I did not win any spelling B but I sure aint dumb as you (aint means i am not in hillbilly slang) If thats the best you can do is ask about my spelling i will say it again.:gtfo:
Great job Belfry.
jetpilot Wrote:Nothing uglier than a Shelby Valley fan on the Belfry bandwagon.:lame:

Just to refresh your memory, Belfry is the gold standard program for football in Pike County right now. Phillip Haywood played the end of the game exactly the right way tonight to get the win, and that's all that matters.

What bandwagon am I on? Just calling it like I (objectively) see it. Your earlier post, however, seemed to have a tinge of jealousy behind it...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I hedged my bet..I was going to be a winner either way Big Grin
Huge fan of doing this BTW
Wow, what a heck of a game by both teams
Congrats on the hard fought game Pirates. Wish I could have been in attendance for this one!
Congrats BELFRY, BELFRY will win big against LC.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Huge fan of doing this BTW

Send me your money too. :biggrin:
Great game by both Belfry and Ashland tonight!

Tomcats you have nothing to hang your head about. You have a great team on both sides of the ball. Good luck the rest of the season.

Great game Pirates!!! What a game by Johnson and Willis and the entire Defense. You showed the heart of a champion tonight. Keep it up!

As other have mentioned what happend at the end of the game was uncalled for and not needed in a battle like this. #80, it's tough when you come up on the wrong end of the score board but remember this game was only for bragging rights. You have district games left and by watching tonight you mean a lot to your team. You gotta let it go. Play like a champion and act like a champion whether you get the W or the L. Act like you've been there before because you still have games to play. It's tough to help your team when your on the sideline sitting out a week.
Let me start by saying congrats too the pirates.

Second let Me ask the Ashland fans not to blame the officials. Yes they were horrid but we put ourselves in a position for the game to be influenced by them by turning the ball over so much. If we protect the football we prob win the game. So its our fault we lost even though the refs sucked.
Belfry you have a great team and great fans it truly was a lot of fun thanks for the hospitality
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Let me start by saying congrats too the pirates.

Second let Me ask the Ashland fans not to blame the officials. Yes they were horrid but we put ourselves in a position for the game to be influenced by them by turning the ball over so much. If we protect the football we prob win the game. So its our fault we lost even though the refs sucked.
Belfry you have a great team and great fans it truly was a lot of fun thanks for the hospitality

Belfry had just as many turnovers so thats a wash...gr8 game by both teams,way to go Pirates
Awwwww here we go boys...Tell me exactly how the refs influenced this game at all!!!! Serious...One of the main reasons NO ONE LIKES ASHLAND except their fans are comments like this...We could sit here and say If WE hold on to the ball we win by more, but we don't...Ashland has a great team...Let it stand at that...Corrall your hot head players and move on...The game was what it was supposed to be a great hard-hitting game, but to take away from the game with some bogus comments about the refs...be real!!!! Ashland's Defense was what you all cracked it up to be, but Belfry was better. They were much stronger and exposed Ashland up the middle....Ashland was impossible to get the outside on...Great game one point difference...Show some class!!!
I fail to see where the offical's were horrid. I honestly thought they kept the game in check. Of course their were missed calls here and there, but suck they did not. The turn overs were a wash, Belfry had two lost and from memory Ashland had two lost. The better team won. Two pretty evenly matched teams with Belfry having the advantage. Belfry owned the 4th quarter with a very good chance to push the score up and smart coaching saved the need for it. Ashland did not give this game away Belfry won it with defense, plain and simple. Ashland has a VERY good defense also, just not when it counted.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Let me start by saying congrats too the pirates.

The refs had nothing to do with this game, the Pirate D held the Tomcats in check most of the game and won the game for them. Ashland had 1st and goal on the 2 yard line and Belfry held Ashland until 4th down when the Tomcats got in the endzone. I was thouroughly impressed with the defense of Belfry!!Why not just call it like it is, which was a great game between two great programs and quit making excuses about the refs. Lets hope #80 learned his lesson and if not maybe Coach Hart will take care of the problem within!! All we heard all week was Ashland played with the best team in WVA and all this garb, but like people said all week WVA football is not like KY football.. Enough Said!! Go Pirates. And what class by Haywood.. took a knee instead of hanging 7 more on the tomkitties!
Glad some of my Pirate brethren got my back!!!! I am tired of this hogwash on here with no substance behind it...If you thought the refs were bad give me SPECIFICS and we can cordially discuss them...otherwise take your loss and get aboard your fancy charters and head north.
Great game belfry! CONGRATS! That was a true barn burner! An to coach Haywood on being one game closer to that record. Great game by both teams, I think the one big play tomcat7200 was talking bout was the 4 down when withrow made the catch an appeared to have the first down but by the spot just wasn't there? But that didn't lose this game for the tomcats we had our opportunities to win the game an just fell short no blaming the refs. We should have took care of The ball, an blocked better up front. Belfry is solid an Im pulling for you guys from here out, good luck hope you get a ring!
Another one of those games thats 2 close for comfort.lol..Congrats to Coach Haywood and the Pirates!
bucslover68 Wrote:Glad some of my Pirate brethren got my back!!!! I am tired of this hogwash on here with no substance behind it...If you thought the refs were bad give me SPECIFICS and we can cordially discuss them...otherwise take your loss and get aboard your fancy charters and head north.

I got ur back old buddy. I'm so pissed at the refs. The Belfry Dline was held all night long. If someone would have thrown a flag the Pirates might have won. Oh wait! The Pirates did win! They won the war in every aspect of the game. Go Big Red!!!!!Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:
BADCAT74 Wrote:Great game belfry! CONGRATS! That was a true barn burner! An to coach Haywood on being one game closer to that record. Great game by both teams, I think the one big play tomcat7200 was talking bout was the 4 down when withrow made the catch an appeared to have the first down but by the spot just wasn't there? But that didn't lose this game for the tomcats we had our opportunities to win the game an just fell short no blaming the refs. We should have took care of The ball, an blocked better up front. Belfry is solid an Im pulling for you guys from here out, good luck hope you get a ring!
That's one call. From my side and seeing all the way across the field, I honestly could not tell. It looked close, but looking at the sticks from where we were sitting he stuck the ball out even with the stick. The ruling was he stepped out before he got to it. Again, that was one call and to say the completely "horrid" is a little much. Holding could have been called all night against Ashland. Every time the QB would scramble a lineman would hold. The refs called the game pretty even IMO. This was not actually intended for you, but the other cat. lol. Thanks for the cudos. Glad you all made it home safe.
Nice classy post BadCat!!! You are right that was a big play...One of my good buddies said he dove past the marker, which we all saw, but that he was out where they spotted...Who knows could have gone either way...Best wishes and good luck in the playoffs!!
Belfry_99 Wrote:The refs had nothing to do with this game, the Pirate D held the Tomcats in check most of the game and won the game for them. Ashland had 1st and goal on the 2 yard line and Belfry held Ashland until 4th down when the Tomcats got in the endzone. I was thouroughly impressed with the defense of Belfry!!Why not just call it like it is, which was a great game between two great programs and quit making excuses about the refs. Lets hope #80 learned his lesson and if not maybe Coach Hart will take care of the problem within!! All we heard all week was Ashland played with the best team in WVA and all this garb, but like people said all week WVA football is not like KY football.. Enough Said!! Go Pirates. And what class by Haywood.. took a knee instead of hanging 7 more on the tomkitties!

?? Not sure I get The comparison of Ky vs WV. I mean generally I would say it's true Ky is probably superior overall but GW could play with alot of teams in Ky. Just as we played with both. I think We played with one of the best teams in WV. An I think we just played with on of the best teams in 3a in Ky? I would think just the opposite belfry an GW were decided by less than 4 points only difference IMO was belfry was more of a power team an GW was the more speed an finesse kinda team. Both are great football teams I would think that would be a favorable comparison for the pirates?
An the only reason he didn't try to put it in the endzone at the end was IMO he did want to give the cats a chance with enough time to make something happen. Just smart football by a veteran coach, why not take a knee an secure the game.
Rather than possibly have to kick off an give a potent Ashland team a chance for the big play which they are generally very
successful at.
I'm not going to dog the Ashland fans who are "not blaming the refs" but are in reality blaming the refs in a round about way. Belfry fans have blamed the refs before, heck I've blamed the refs before, it's the easy way out of losing I guess...but it's a fact that the refs did miss some calls tonight, I mean, there was at least six or more holding calls against Ashland that they didn't call, a couple of unsportsmanlike conduct calls against Ashland that wasn't called, etc. So, in a way, I have to agree.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You were a controversial call away from being right. Ashland kicks the XP instead of going for two and that is probably how the score ends up.

Ashland going for two all of the time was bound to bite them in the backside eventually. If they do kick the xp it changes the complexion of the game completely. Belfry may or may not have been in position for that final TD had Ashland not been playing from behind.

Anyway that's a clutch drive to run out the final four minutes.
FBALL Wrote:Ashland going for two all of the time was bound to bite them in the backside eventually. If they do kick the xp it changes the complexion of the game completely. Belfry may or may not have been in position for that final TD had Ashland not been playing from behind.

Anyway that's a clutch drive to run out the final four minutes.

100% agree, told the brother-in-law that that failed attempt was a back breaker for Ashland. It was their demise and would come back to haunt them. It played into Belfry's gameplan more than it did for Ashland. Let Belfry eat clock, plow the ball up the field. Wow, I love this game, either way it went, it was great football.:notworthy
That was as good an exhibition of defense against the run as I have seen by anybody this year. Belfry is solid. Good line and good LB's. I have to say I wasn't expecting them to shut down Ashland the way they did. About the refs, you guys had a lot to say about it when you were down here last year. I saw a lot of things that weren't called too but I'm not gonna call them out.

BTW, your run game ain't bad either.