Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro Fan punches Bell County Coach
Football1 Wrote:Actually, I make tapes of my golf swing... which always reminds me why I played football... LOL.

I appreciate the opporunity to exchange ideas with you on this topic. As happens often in life, our debate has not ended with either of us modifying our own positions but instead it ends with us both satisfied that we defended what we believe is true. I may indeed over empahsize the value and impact that a sports program has on the character of a participant. I count running up the score up there with the "win at all cost" attitude that drives coaches to teach lineman to hold; drives young men to take steriods; and that drives bullies to overpower the weak simply because they can. All of those things stem from core character flaws. Can sports help correct such things by having coaches lead a program with a view that extends beyond the scoreboard and empahsizes character and sportsmanship? Clearly, I think so. And even if it can't I'd rather err on that side of the fence.

Football 1, I really appreciate and have enjoyed reading about your views on this topic. I agree that high school is a good opurtunity for us to teach and instill good moral character in our young men. I truly believe that I,personally,am a better adult because of what I learned on the field many years ago. I pray that my son learns to be a better person through his experience in football. So,keep those good posts coming and God bless you.
Would Bell have hung 80 on them, If Bell didn't sub down??
strawshaker Wrote:Yes it was a blowout...And i agree with another poster..even the chain movers were shouting profanities and they were more than a few troublemakers.
Bell won the game..But Middlesboro was the overall winner.
Let me explain before you jackslap me...I am SURE they were over 3000 fans.
buying city-county Bowl tickets and Paying top dollar for food and drinks.
heartburn was free.:eyeroll:
Not to mention the T-shirts printed up just for the renewal of this rivalry.
Now the T-shirts printed up by one long time Bell County supporter and local Businesman From there...were way far to graphic and seeded in hate for anyone
to wear. Will p.m. his name to anyone interested.
Anyway..this rivalry is good for the County and the mountains overall and really nothing a little more policing could not help.
And the Parking is not even close or able to handle such a magnitude of peoples.
Having it at Bell County is a no-brainer.
If at middlsboro...eother park at krogers and hike it.
or with the Kind of MONEY they turned over Have a smallbus to shuttle peoples back in forth.
Or as i said Have it at bell county in which You will still walk a mile frombellmiddleor the side of 25 E..which is dangerous by the way.:biggrin:

If parking is your issue then Bell is NOT the place to have a big game. Most would rather walk a couple of blocks on flat ground as opposed to walking several blocks up the side of a mountain. If you parked at Krogers and went to Bradner Stadium then you just clearly don't know anything about Middlesboro.
Blue12 Wrote:If parking is your issue then Bell is NOT the place to have a big game. Most would rather walk a couple of blocks on flat ground as opposed to walking several blocks up the side of a mountain. If you parked at Krogers and went to Bradner Stadium then you just clearly don't know anything about Middlesboro.
My bad friend You are right about my knowledge of your fine city.
What or where would you suggest to be considered good parking in your
location with good lighting on such a hectic night.
Frankly I could not find as such.
&&& yes sir I agree Bell County is somewhat quite an uphill walk.
strawshaker Wrote:My bad friend You are right about my knowledge of your fine city.
What or where would you suggest to be considered good parking in your
location with good lighting on such a hectic night.
Frankly I could not find as such.
&&& yes sir I agree Bell County is somewhat quite an uphill walk.

Bradner is located at the boarder of residential and the main street in the town. To each his or her own. You can park along the streets of the residential area going back toward the Elementary School near Bradner or like many you can park along Cumberland in one of the many business parking lots, side lots and back lots. They go up and down the main street in the town. No hills up or down and most all of the walking is on concrete or asphalt and Cumberland avenue is well lit-up on every night. You cannot get much easier even at college or pro stadiums.
Football1 Wrote:Actually, I make tapes of my golf swing... which always reminds me why I played football... LOL.

I appreciate the opporunity to exchange ideas with you on this topic. As happens often in life, our debate has not ended with either of us modifying our own positions but instead it ends with us both satisfied that we defended what we believe is true. I may indeed over empahsize the value and impact that a sports program has on the character of a participant. I count running up the score up there with the "win at all cost" attitude that drives coaches to teach lineman to hold; drives young men to take steriods; and that drives bullies to overpower the weak simply because they can. All of those things stem from core character flaws. Can sports help correct such things by having coaches lead a program with a view that extends beyond the scoreboard and empahsizes character and sportsmanship? Clearly, I think so. And even if it can't I'd rather err on that side of the fence.

Nicely said
colonel4life Wrote:I have to disagree with you RIUTG. I don't think running up the score is the right thing to do nor sets the right example especially for high school kids.

That being said whining, complaining and throwing punches over it when it happens isn't right either. Teach these young kids a life lesson. When you get the crap kicked out of you and you get kicked while your down pick your tail up and work that much harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Have some pride and determination and go get better.

What are you talking about? We use to the run the score up on people all the time lol.
Was the coach that got hit, B.Y. ?
redstorm Wrote:Was the coach that got hit, B.Y. ?

I have heard through the grapevine that this incident really had nothing to do with the game. A side issue. I'll say no more about it.
Blue12 Wrote:Bradner is located at the boarder of residential and the main street in the town. To each his or her own. You can park along the streets of the residential area going back toward the Elementary School near Bradner or like many you can park along Cumberland in one of the many business parking lots, side lots and back lots. They go up and down the main street in the town. No hills up or down and most all of the walking is on concrete or asphalt and Cumberland avenue is well lit-up on every night. You cannot get much easier even at college or pro stadiums.

I know it may be a crazy idea, but why not use Middlesboro, Bell, Corbin...possibly harlan in a neutral location such as the Union College field on a Saturday (Away or Non game week)
Football1 Wrote:Good thing we can't pray before games anymore, right? Pardon my sacrasm as I would like to make a clear point here. The focus of the game is lost becuase the people around the game are lost. When we forbid God we invite Godlessness.

Coaches should be setting an example to players that no matter what the scoreboard has on it the actions of the team will be the same - play hard, play fair, give your best effort, and be done. Instead we have this type of crap all too often. The focus is not where it should be - building young men of character.

This. Good post.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Originally Posted by Football1 View Post
Good thing we can't pray before games anymore, right? Pardon my sacrasm as I would like to make a clear point here. The focus of the game is lost becuase the people around the game are lost. When we forbid God we invite Godlessness.

Coaches should be setting an example to players that no matter what the scoreboard has on it the actions of the team will be the same - play hard, play fair, give your best effort, and be done. Instead we have this type of crap all too often. The focus is not where it should be - building young men of character."
This. Good post.

The above post is so true; what is said above applies to everything in life, not only sports, but in our daily interaction with others, and in everything we do and say. Truism: Set a good example for our youth!
I had all but decided to attend this game, but at the last minute, I decided not to. A close friend of mine talked me out of it, saying that it would be nothing but an overcrowded, overdramatized redneck-fest. Shows how much he knows, huh?

I won't miss next year's City/County game, though. I hear they're gonna bring in Jerry Springer to referee.
Tammi Wrote:saw the police put a middlesboro coach in the cruiser after he hit the bell coach between the eyes. fact.
Why did WYMT not report this.
Running the score up on a weaker smaller already beaten apponent must not be acceptable by all.
wonder if Bell County is going to try and do the same to The Harlan County Black bears.
Dont think so this year.
Come on now coaches show some class you supposed to set examples.
Running up the score and keeping starters in is bad enough and then fighting..geesh:dontthink
August 26, 2011- Middlesboro 62-Hancock Co Tn 7
Sept. 2, 2011 Bell 63- Hancock Co 20

How in the world can a fan of a team talk about running up a score when one week you beat a team by 55 then lose the next week by 43.

Come on looks like Bell took it easy compared to what you did to Hancock.

If someone went as far as to punch a coach...
they are the one setting the bad example for kids.

I can't stand it when fans fight at games!
This brings back memories of around 1971 when Evarts beat Middlesboro on a last play long touchdown pass. After the game, an Evarts assistant coach (Parsons) was stabbed by a Middlesboro fan. Coach Parsons spent several days in the Middlesboro hospital.
I believe if you schedule somebody, then you shouldnt complain if you take a huge loss.
somethings in life....certain actions individuals make....are profoundly idiotic!...there by requiring me to use this.....

[IMG][/IMG]
This is just uncalled for.
rojas Wrote:This brings back memories of around 1971 when Evarts beat Middlesboro on a last play long touchdown pass. After the game, an Evarts assistant coach (Parsons) was stabbed by a Middlesboro fan. Coach Parsons spent several days in the Middlesboro hospital.
i remember rocks hitting our bus and 'welcoming' words coming into and out of evarts games.
big blu 2 u Wrote:i remember rocks hitting our bus and 'welcoming' words coming into and out of evarts games.

I played at Harlan and they would rock our bus all the way up to Evarts field and sometimes windows were broken out. Then there was a big buckeye tree on the hill above the field and I can remember those buckeyes bouncing off our helmets during warmups. The Evarts Wildcats really knew how to welcome you to town. Didn't bother us though,we never lost to Evarts the 4 years I played.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I played at Harlan and they would rock our bus all the way up to Evarts field and sometimes windows were broken out. Then there was a big buckeye tree on the hill above the field and I can remember those buckeyes bouncing off our helmets during warmups. The Evarts Wildcats really knew how to welcome you to town. Didn't bother us though,we never lost to Evarts the 4 years I played.

That makes us even. In my four years Evarts never lost to a Harlan team. Of course Harlan wasn't very good in those years. Our most intense competition was Middlesboro, Corbin, and Lynch.
rojas Wrote:That makes us even. In my four years Evarts never lost to a Harlan team. Of course Harlan wasn't very good in those years. Our most intense competition was Middlesboro, Corbin, and Lynch.

Harlan and Evarts are like everyone else,good years and bad years. I will also say this although we didn't lose to Evarts we always had respect for them. One reason was they were always so big. They grow the kids giant sized in Evarts.
I remember our bus driver wearing a football helmet going into evarts cause they would throw rocks and bricks at our windows, they even cut all our seats and took a leak on our bus. However the games were never close. the year we won state (98) we was up 63-0 and they started to chant beechwood. so we put in a 3rd string qb ran backwards took a knee and let our kicker kick a state record 57 yard field goal. which he made. shut them up real fast
devildawg20 Wrote:I remember our bus driver wearing a football helmet going into evarts cause they would throw rocks and bricks at our windows, they even cut all our seats and took a leak on our bus. However the games were never close. the year we won state (98) we was up 63-0 and they started to chant beechwood. so we put in a 3rd string qb ran backwards took a knee and let our kicker kick a state record 57 yard field goal. which he made. shut them up real fast

You must be thinking of Harlan. MHS beat Evarts 57-0 and Harlan 65-0 in 98. I was at the Harlan/Middlesboro game when Roark had the MHS QB run backwards to set up a state record fg. However, Wynn missed that particular fg. I was also in Louisville when when Wynn put the opening kickoff in the baseball dugout behind the endzone on the fly. Too bad Wynn never played at UK. I think he had the leg to potentially play in the NFL.

In the 60s and early 70s Evarts had Middlesboro's number. Evarts upset Middlesboro several years in a row. One of the biggest upsets was when Middlesboro had a great running back named Bimbo Fuson. Evarts held Fuson to 30 yards rushing and beat Middlesboro 8-6. The following week we upset Lynch 7-0 for Lynch's only loss of the year.
rojas Wrote:You must be thinking of Harlan. MHS beat Evarts 57-0 and Harlan 65-0 in 98. I was at the Harlan/Middlesboro game when Roark had the MHS QB run backwards to set up a state record fg. However, Wynn missed that particular fg. I was also in Louisville when when Wynn put the opening kickoff in the baseball dugout behind the endzone on the fly. Too bad Wynn never played at UK. I think he had the leg to potentially play in the NFL.

In the 60s and early 70s Evarts had Middlesboro's number. Evarts upset Middlesboro several years in a row. One of the biggest upsets was when Middlesboro had a great running back named Bimbo Fuson. Evarts held Fuson to 30 yards rushing and beat Middlesboro 8-6. The following week we upset Lynch 7-0 for Lynch's only loss of the year.
My grandfather talks about those games all the time.
The Bimbo Fuson That you was refering too He tells me was one of the best he'd ever seen a D 1 at a high level.
This was the saddest tragedy. Not long after above game he was introduced to some bad drugs and unknowingly Shot and killed his younger brother who had unlimited potential also... Bimbo went to prison for life.
instead of a great college carreer.
This will always be a sad part pf mboro sports history and willalways be spoken of..for many old timers says he was one of the best seen.
But im sure every program has a what could of been story,
ladycats23 Wrote:My grandfather talks about those games all the time.
The Bimbo Fuson That you was refering too He tells me was one of the best he'd ever seen a D 1 at a high level.
This was the saddest tragedy. Not long after above game he was introduced to some bad drugs and unknowingly Shot and killed his younger brother who had unlimited potential also... Bimbo went to prison for life.
instead of a great college carreer.
This will always be a sad part pf mboro sports history and willalways be spoken of..for many old timers says he was one of the best seen.
But im sure every program has a what could of been story,

Good post,I like bits of team history like that. Sad story tho.
BellCoFaithful Wrote:Don't know if you noticed it or not, but I noticed quite a few Mboro fans walking around on the Bell side yelling profantities directed at the Bell Co team and fans. Heck even the boys with the chains were saying derogatory things to the Bell cheerleaders and Bell fans standing at the fence (I know, as I was standing at the fence). I understand the whole rivalry thing, but sheesh, the chain gang talking crap to fans, even while down 42-14?:dontthink

NO SIR. I work the chains at Middlesboro and WE DID NOT TALK CRAP TO FANS, PLAYERS, COACHES, OR ANYONE! We were professional all game, and I even wished Crawford and Wayne Mills good luck before the game, and congratulated them on a good game afterwards
strawshaker Wrote:Yes it was a blowout...And i agree with another poster..even the chain movers were shouting profanities and they were more than a few troublemakers.
Bell won the game..But Middlesboro was the overall winner.
Let me explain before you jackslap me...I am SURE they were over 3000 fans.
buying city-county Bowl tickets and Paying top dollar for food and drinks.
heartburn was free.:eyeroll:
Not to mention the T-shirts printed up just for the renewal of this rivalry.
Now the T-shirts printed up by one long time Bell County supporter and local Businesman From there...were way far to graphic and seeded in hate for anyone
to wear. Will p.m. his name to anyone interested.
Anyway..this rivalry is good for the County and the mountains overall and really nothing a little more policing could not help.
And the Parking is not even close or able to handle such a magnitude of peoples.
Having it at Bell County is a no-brainer.
If at middlsboro...eother park at krogers and hike it.
or with the Kind of MONEY they turned over Have a smallbus to shuttle peoples back in forth.
Or as i said Have it at bell county in which You will still walk a mile frombellmiddleor the side of 25 E..which is dangerous by the way.:biggrin:

NO SIR, We were not shouting profanities or anything else vulgar. I take pride in running my chain gang. You are more than welcome to contact Darrel Wilson who worked the Bell County sideline and confirm that we were professional the whole game!
Yellow Jacket fan Wrote:NO SIR. I work the chains at Middlesboro and WE DID NOT TALK CRAP TO FANS, PLAYERS, COACHES, OR ANYONE! We were professional all game, and I even wished Crawford and Wayne Mills good luck before the game, and congratulated them on a good game afterwards
Hey YJF I've know you for over 25 years and I have never know of you to say anything out of the way to well anybody. Odd that someone would intentionally start a rumor just to stir the pot cause they ain't got nothing else better to do.