Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan 2011
Dragonsdad Wrote:I heard that coach Frazier did some asst. coaching at Bell. Is that true? I sort of know him in an indirect way. His wife is someone I went to school with at Harlan. But, I've only met him briefly once or twice. Not enough to talk football. They say he is a good coach. Middlesboro really hasn't been what they used to be, I don't think, since before Kenny Roark started coaching there. I would like to see them get it back. If Middlesboro could get back to thier old self just think what football would be played in Bell Co. The Middlesboro/Bell game would be huge. The only problem would be keeping the two teams fans from going at it. There are some football crazy fans all over Bell Co.. I always loved to play in Bell Co. no matter which team we played. Always a great atmosphere.

Hasn't been the same since before Kenny Roark got there? He won the school's only state championship.
You are Right Yogibear. He did drop to 1A in '98 and win a state championship. And he Won a 2A region championship in '99. Then dropped to 1A again in '02 and won another region championship and a couple of 2A distrct champs in '03 and '06. From '07 to '09 was 20-16 and retired. Thats a pretty good record. You gotta keep an eye on me Yogibear sometimes I can run off at the mouth with out totally thinking it through.
Any news from weightlifting? Tried to find Coach Donahue, but he is busy with track. I am sure some are playing baseball or other sports, but wondering if those lifting are making progress.
The Dragons are having a really good off season in the weight room. Coach Luttrell is working them hard and getting results. Pretty much everyone has been working out except for the baseball players. All of the kids have improved in size and strength. They are looking a lot more mature this year. A few of the boys have made vast improvements. It will be noticeable come time for practice to start. Strength and maturity were a couple of things that the Dragons lacked last season. Not so much of a problem this season. The kids have really bought into what coach Luttrell is teaching them. They are pumped and chomping at the bit for the season to start.If they can keep them all healthy this season they will not be a pushover by any means. I look for the offense to put up big numbers through the air this year especially with a stronger line up front. Also, with changes that J.B. and Luttrell are making with the defense, that was ranked 4th in class A in pass defense and 12th in rush defense, the Dragons will be tough to score on. Everyone's looking forward to the first game against Pikeville. They feel they have something to prove. Go Dragons!!
Dropped in last week on the off season workouts, talked to coach Luttrell and he said that he was really pleased with the effort of the players that are working out on a regular basis. He said that after working on proper technique many of the regulars have made big strides in more weight lifting and getting much stronger. Spring ball was a major success from past years when Coach Donahue didn't have enough to get much done, this year they had enough to have full line live scrimmedge and they were getting after each other. Looking for much success this year.
Found this article on the upcoming year.

Sunday, May 8
Dragons expecting improvement in 2011 with balanced attack

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

WIth 15 of 22 starters returning, the Harlan Green Dragons have big plans for themselves in the 2011 season and got off to a good start in realizing those goals during the two-week spring practice session.

"We have a lot of returning players, so I think spring practice went smoother," Harlan coach J.B. Donahue said. "We were able to make adjustments and change some things defensively. We had a lot of kids participate for a school our size."

Known for its ground game during Donahue's tenure as coach, Harlan opened up its offense last season with sophomore Ty Saragas at the controls and the results were promising.

Saragas completed 145 of 238 passes for 1,877 yards with 25 touchdowns and only seven interceptions while spreading the ball around to several receivers. Vince Bianch, a 6-foot-2, 175-pound junior, caught 40 passes for 509 yards last year and was followed closely by sophomore Dakota Morris, who had 34 catches for 623 yards, sophomore David Allen with 27 receptions for 248 yards and sophomore Cody Logan with 18 catches for 263 yards. Allen and Bianchi each had seven touchdown catches.

"I think our balance offensively will be a strength. I think it makes us a little tougher to defend and helps us out offensively," Donahue said.

Sophomore Demarcus WIlliams provides the Dragons' top ground threat with 753 yards rushing and five touchdows last year

Finding the right combination on both the offensive and defensive fronts will be crucial for the Dragons, with three of the four seniors last season starting on the line

"I think that's the key to our season, how well our line plays," Donahue said.

Juniors Dylan Chasteen (6-0, 210), at tackle, and Christian Turbyfill (5-7, 200), at guard, are returning starters. Sophomore Stephen Jones (5-9, 240), the brother of former standout lineman Aaron Jones, will take over at center. Junior Okey Boggs (5-9, 190) is expected to play guard. There are several candidates at the other tackle spot, including senior Kenny WItt (6-0, 210), sophomore Andrew Brock (6-0, 175) and sophomore Kaleb Enlow (5-11, 225).

Harlan will switch from a 50 to a 43 on defense and former Harlan star John Luttrell, who was the head coach at Cawood in the 1990s, will help the unit.

"We're trying use our personel the best we can," Donahue said. "We want to get more people out on the field who can run so we can be a little more aggressive defensively."

Keeping sophomore linebacker Dalton Overbay healthy will be important to the success of the defense. Overbay started the past two years but has been slowed by injuries. The linebacking corps will also include sophomore Ryan Jones and Turbyfill.

The Dragons will be strong in the secondary where everyone returns, including Bianchi, whose eight interceptions last season was the second best total in the state. Morris also returns at safety with sophomore Dawson Charles and Logan returning on the corners.

The defensive front will feature Chasteen and Witt at the tackles and Boggs and Casey Gambrel at the ends.

Hazard, the defending district and regional champs, remains the favorite in District 7 with Harlan trying to break out of the No. 2 position it has held for several years.

"I think everybody is still looking at Hazard as the team to beat," Donahue said. "They lost their quarterback and some other good players, but they have most of their weapons coming back."

---

Unless Donahue can find a late addition, next year's schedule will include only nine teams with Appalachia, Va., scheduled to merge with Powell Valley, Va., as part of a countywide consolidation in Wise County.

"I've tried five or six teams - Appalachia, Thomas Walker, Ervinton, Hurley, J.J. Kelly…" Donahue said. "It's not an ideal situation but there may not be anything we can do about it."
Has Coach Donahue had any luck picking up the 10th game?
My son say's he talked to coach D yesterday and no game as of yet. Looks like 9 will be it,but there is still time. Just not very likely.
Ru
mor has it that the D-coordinator has resigned? If true why?
If it's true it's the first that I or my son have heard. He and his wife just had their first child could be because of that. But that's speculation. I should be able to find out by Monday morning. I'll post any news.
Response I got was that this is true. DC Shope gave it up for awhile to have more time with his wife and new son.
Best of luck to Coach Shope. There's nothing like becoming a dad and I'm sure he will enjoy it. He's a true green blooded Dragon.
Updated story on Harlan. Guessing that paper will have a Harlan County update shortly.

http://www.harlandaily.com/view/full_sto...eft_column
Dungy, it's coming. I can feel it. Lord willing,this is going to be a good year to be green. I think a lot of folks are going to under estimate the Dragons. Anyone that followed last season would know that the team had a confidence problem up until they played Hazard and went into halftime only down 1 td. After that game,and the realization that they could play,they came alive to soundly beat a pretty good,undefeated, Pineville team. They really grew up those two weeks.At that point they would have given anything to have had the Williamsburg,Lynn Camp and Lee Va. games back. I think the confidence is going to continue to build and when season starts we're going to see some really good things from this group of kids. Possibly for the next couple of years. I really hate it that we have lost coach Shope but at the same time I really love it that we have coach Luttrell. Coach Luttrell is a great motivator and a good addition to a good coaching staff. Now,there's nuthin' to it but to do it. GO BIG GREEN!!!!:Thumbs:
Possible game 10 in the works with a WV team, keep your fingers crossed, we need another game to complete our schedule.
any thoughts on harlan vs pineville this year?
Should be a good game Lion #1. Pineville seems to have some big shoes to fill this year from last years squad,but you can't under estimate anyone. Last years game proved that. I think the Asher kid could be a force to be reconned with. I think his performance could be key this season for the Mt. Lions. I'm looking forward to coming to P'ville for the game this year. I always liked playing there. A lot of history at that field. A lot of good athletes have walked off that field.
i think it will be a good game with pineville winning 21 to 7 over dragons ...remember it is at pineville and we have back who is every bit as good if not better than cody hendrickson in byron asher
Rumor has it that the Harlan vs Pikeville game has been moved to Saturday night and will be aired on television. Anybody know if that is true?
any thoughts on the harlan vs. pikeville game? id say pikeville 35 to 21
Been on vacation and trying to catch up on my favorite teams. I have read predictions in several threads where Harlan is picked to lose to Pikeville, Pineville, Leslie County, Middlesboro and of course Hazard. Throw in Corbin (a likely favorite) and that makes 3-6, so either DragonDad is very wrong or many other people are Smile
pineville?
Now you guys probably understand why Paintsville quit playing the apple bowl.
Who knows Dungy they might just go 3-6. But if they do they'll be the toughest 3-6 team around. I'll be modest and say it's probably gonna be somewhere between me and everyone else. How's that for modesty. 5-4 I swear I just can't see it. Oh well.
becuase ive been a pineville fan pretty much my whole life and as much as i hate to say it harlan will most likely get us this year....were down pretty bad so im guessin harlan at worst 5-4 going into the playoffs.:flush:
Alright Lion #1, I'll bite. What changed your mind from the earlier post where you had Pineville and RB Asher winning 21-7? Or is that sarcasm now with the toilet bowl? No ill will intended...don't have a dog in the fight, and I think my local Hazard team is the favorite anyway, but I'm just curious.
Now i'm hearing that the game has been moved back one week to week one and we are playing in the Pike co. Bowl. We play at 9pm and it will be on tv. The person that told me this said they talked to Coach D and he said they were printing tee shirts for the team among other things. I wish someone could confirm this. I do know that we had an open date for week two. Don't know how this came about though.
Rumor I just got is this: Harlan v. Pikeville to week 1 in PC Bowl, but only if Williamsburg (Harlan's current Week 1 opponent) agrees to move that game to week 6, which both teams have open. Pikeville asked because as the Bowl host, they gave their opponent to Belfry when the team playing Belfry canceled. Tangled mess but would work out if Williamsburg agrees.

Still wouldn't solve Harlan's need for a 10th game, would just move open dates from 2 and 6 to 0 and 2.
Dungy Wrote:Rumor I just got is this: Harlan v. Pikeville to week 1 in PC Bowl, but only if Williamsburg (Harlan's current Week 1 opponent) agrees to move that game to week 6, which both teams have open. Pikeville asked because as the Bowl host, they gave their opponent to Belfry when the team playing Belfry canceled. Tangled mess but would work out if Williamsburg agrees.

Still wouldn't solve Harlan's need for a 10th game, would just move open dates from 2 and 6 to 0 and 2.

Thanks for the Info Dungy. Kinda makes sense now. Seeing how short the preparation period for week 0 is this season,an open date for week 0 would surely help. We play Bell in the gridorama and may need that extra week to heal up.LOL
Just heard that Coach D has been ill. Get well soon old friend and take your time. We need you healthy and well for this season. We can't win without ya. You have a good nurse to take care of ya. Listen to her.