Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan 2011
Caught up with Coach Donahue at a basketball game last week. He seemed upbeat after 5 wins in a rebuilding year and all but 2 starters returning on both sides. Bored on a Sunday and would like to read thoughts on how they might do this year.
Harlan will be Harlan once again I think.
They win the games they should and they put up a good fight in ones they shouldnt and they come out the victor in a few of those shouldnts.

Id say a 7 win season.

They have a tough schedule for a 1A school.

For the life of me I cant figure out why Corbin will play you guys and not the Black Bears. It is pitifil.
Harlan looks to step it up in 2011, they open the season with Pikeville and end the regular season with Corbin, that's two traditional powers in the Eastern half of KY. They also have district foe Hazard in the mix, along with Pineville, Jenkins, Lynn Camp, Williamsburg, and I think Applachia VA comes on board. I see 7-3 or 8-2 in a year that could see the Green Dragons do what there neighbors from HC did last year, Harlan has a great chance to close the gap with Hazard and with the new alignment the Eastern half of the state is as wide open as the 5A Class. Practice can't get here soon enough.
6 and 4 MAYBEEE 7 and 3
Gummie Bear Wrote:Harlan will be Harlan once again I think.
They win the games they should and they put up a good fight in ones they shouldnt and they come out the victor in a few of those shouldnts.

Id say a 7 win season.

They have a tough schedule for a 1A school.

For the life of me I cant figure out why Corbin will play you guys and not the Black Bears. It is pitifil.

if you cant figure out why Corbin wont play Harlan Co, I will try to figure out why Harlan City would play Corbin over Harlan Co. Talk about a big payday. do they think Corbin will travel to watch the hounds kill the dragons. corbin doesnt travel well. Harlan city could pay off a lot of bills with a payoff like they would get from harlan vs Harlan Co
oh yeah , if you are going to get beat, at least make some money
Corbin is only Corbin by name. They are not the Corbin teams of the past. Corbin football started going down hill when they started dodging good football teams. Its as simple as that! Look at their schedule over the last several years.
TongueirateShoIf you look at Corbin's schedule from this past year, you would have a hard time winning a debate on them not playing top teams. The Redhounds had an 11-3 record same as HC, both teams lost in the state Semi-Finals. HC played and lost to the 5A champ, played and lost to the 4A Semi-Finalist Bell Co, played and split games with Regional Winner Pulaski Co. Corbin played and lost to the 4A state champ Boyle Co, played and lost to 2A State Champ Newport Central Catholic, played and beat 1A State Semi-Finalist LCA, and finally played and lost to 1A State Runner-Up Hazard. So to make a statement that Corbin plays a light weight schedule is just not a true statement of the facts.
Who ever Corbin is playing, keep playing. It sure works out for them.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:TongueirateShoIf you look at Corbin's schedule from this past year, you would have a hard time winning a debate on them not playing top teams. The Redhounds had an 11-3 record same as HC, both teams lost in the state Semi-Finals. HC played and lost to the 5A champ, played and lost to the 4A Semi-Finalist Bell Co, played and split games with Regional Winner Pulaski Co. Corbin played and lost to the 4A state champ Boyle Co, played and lost to 2A State Champ Newport Central Catholic, played and beat 1A State Semi-Finalist LCA, and finally played and lost to 1A State Runner-Up Hazard. So to make a statement that Corbin plays a light weight schedule is just not a true statement of the facts.

Lets talk regular season cuz after all that is who Corbin decides to play. No one is saying the playoffs are weak, even though Corbin does a walk to the semis each year. The playoff teams arent selected by Corbin. Corbin has chosen to play a weak, weak schedule over the past few years. Ive even been hearing this from Corbin faithful for years as well.

Their district is so weak is makes it even worse.
Corbin will play a pretty good team each year in the bowl game but wont go their school to return the favor, like Danville, Boyle, Dunbar. Then they play a lot of 1A schools.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Lets talk regular season cuz after all that is who Corbin decides to play. No one is saying the playoffs are weak, even though Corbin does a walk to the semis each year. The playoff teams arent selected by Corbin. Corbin has chosen to play a weak, weak schedule over the past few years. Ive even been hearing this from Corbin faithful for years as well.

Their district is so weak is makes it even worse.
Corbin will play a pretty good team each year in the bowl game but wont go their school to return the favor, like Danville, Boyle, Dunbar. Then they play a lot of 1A schools.

I disagree with this, even though I hate Corbin. They played Clark Co (6A), Hazard, LCA, Boyle this past year. Other than south Laurel and North Laurel that is a tough non-dist sched. corbin cant help who the KHSAA puts in thier dist.
former Wrote:I disagree with this, even though I hate Corbin. They played Clark Co (6A), Hazard, LCA, Boyle this past year. Other than south Laurel and North Laurel that is a tough non-dist sched. corbin cant help who the KHSAA puts in thier dist.

For the teams you just mentioned just look at all the 1a schools and remember even though Corbin is 2a, they pride themselves on being the elite mountain school and they should play better teams if they feel that way.

Harlan x 3
Hazard x 2
Lexington Christian x 6
Pikeville x 2
Bethlem x 2
Williamsburg x 2

17 times

Plus add a yearly beating of the Laurel schools they put on the schedule.
Knox, Bell Co, Whitley and Harlan County have tried like crazy to help them fill the schedule for several years! It doesn't matter to me either way but if you talk as though you are a mnt. power play some tough teams!
Well, hadn't checked in awhile, but looks like I should start a Corbin thread if I am looking for info and opinions on Harlan (haha).

Any news on the Harlan team?
Have been over a few times this month, and they are getting about 22-25 lifting plus 10 or so play basketball and I hear they are getting a new student moving back to Harlan from Western Kentucky that will be a freshman that can help as a first year player. This group will have the most team speed in the last decade, and that is why the staff and supporters are really excited about this group, for the next 3-4 years. I see the team numbers up to 40 and maybe higher, which for a single A school is the magic number.
Just popping some of my favorite teams to the top. Any news? I think spring ball starts for a lot of teams on Monday.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:Have been over a few times this month, and they are getting about 22-25 lifting plus 10 or so play basketball and I hear they are getting a new student moving back to Harlan from Western Kentucky that will be a freshman that can help as a first year player. This group will have the most team speed in the last decade, and that is why the staff and supporters are really excited about this group, for the next 3-4 years. I see the team numbers up to 40 and maybe higher, which for a single A school is the magic number.

Maybe that new kid from Western Ky should consider Harlan Co.
No if the kid comes he will be a Dragon, would it be to much to ask (hats) if we keep this thread about the kids at Harlan Ind, the program that you seem to support has a thread that is over four pages long to discuss the fortunes of the Black Bears, when I post on the HC site I try to be supportive of those kids who I hope have great success. When you post on here remember that this about high school kids and when you make a back handed comment toward one school or another you are referring to kids. I guess that I am just asking for the same respect we show you and the HC program, when we venture on your site. JMO
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:No if the kid comes he will be a Dragon, would it be to much to ask (hats) if we keep this thread about the kids at Harlan Ind, the program that you seem to support has a thread that is over four pages long to discuss the fortunes of the Black Bears, when I post on the HC site I try to be supportive of those kids who I hope have great success. When you post on here remember that this about high school kids and when you make a back handed comment toward one school or another you are referring to kids. I guess that I am just asking for the same respect we show you and the HC program, when we venture on your site. JMO

I appreciate you showing respect for the great HC program. I hope the kid does great wearing the green. Maybe he can help you win a district one of these days.
Mountain pride 10 Wrote:Harlan looks to step it up in 2011, they open the season with Pikeville and end the regular season with Corbin, that's two traditional powers in the Eastern half of KY. They also have district foe Hazard in the mix, along with Pineville, Jenkins, Lynn Camp, Williamsburg, and I think Applachia VA comes on board. I see 7-3 or 8-2 in a year that could see the Green Dragons do what there neighbors from HC did last year, Harlan has a great chance to close the gap with Hazard and with the new alignment the Eastern half of the state is as wide open as the 5A Class. Practice can't get here soon enough.

Williamsburg will be rebuilding this year, but you never know with the type of offense that they run
Does williamsburg have the same quaterback, Ryan Moses?
Had a day off and caught the last day of spring practice. Two words sum up what I saw for 2011...much better!
Dungy, I had time to see some of spring ball also and I came away thinking that this could be one of the better teams that Coach Donahue has had to work with. That being said this upcoming season will be one of the most anticipated for Dragon fans since the last years of the 1990's, when coach Shope was making all those tackles. This group now has some experience to go along with everything else, so it should be an exciting season.
Harlan has some depth at the skill positions with good running backs and one of the best passing games they've ever had, but in order to be ranked with one of the best in Donahue's tenure they are going to have to find some linemen.
I would agree with the need for linemen for any team. Don't know enough to know names, but that was one of the things that struck me Thursday. Many of their players passed the physical 'look test', something I couldn't say when I saw them play last year. Maybe the weight room is helping.
I agree, thier off line is suspect. But I really believe it is better than last years line. I say this because they have lost size in only 1 position and have gained speed and strength in every position. They have done well in the weight room so far this year and have 3 mos to go before season practice starts. The addition of Okey Boggs at guard will definately be a plus, the kid is stronger than any last season and adds speed to the position. Steven jones at center is coming along well. He split the duties last season. Last years squad was little more than a glorified jv team and they protected Ty Saragas well enough to put up 3 tds against Hazard. The defense is where the dragons will gain the most. Practically everyone returns. Cept bigger,faster and stronger. The nice thing is that with the addition of, ex-dragon,John Luttrel at asst.coach the kids are learning to play more physical and with more emotion. This will only add to a defense that had fairly good stats,especially in pass defense,for a group of sophomores. I think if all goes well they can travel deep into the playoffs this season. One thing is for sure, pikeville won't see the same team they saw in the playoffs last season. It'll be a game this year. I'm looking forward to it.
I've not heard anything on the new transfer from w.ky. Niether has the players I have asked. I've not talked to coach Donahue about it though. If anyone has any info on that I would like to know. That would be great for the dragons. If he could come in and be a contributor it would only add to what, I think, is going to be a solid team. The dragons have some players that could really have breakout seasons such as Big Dalton Overbey (rehabing that knee well), Demarcus Williams (much stronger this year), Ty Saragas (on pace to set alltime records for passing at Harlan),Okey Boggs (very strong, should have big year on the "D" side), Casey Gambrel (much bigger,stronger,could have big season on both sides of the ball at linebacker and at fullback),and don't forget Dakota Morris (the biggest threat we had last year) or David Allen (may have had the best hands in the recieving core). The best thing is thier all juniors this season. Thier are others I could mention such as Vince Bianchi, Christian Turbyfill, Ryan Jones, Kenny Witt, among others, all solid and improved this year. I'm psyched and looking forward to it. Go Dragons.
What was the linemen that played in the border bowl for Harlan?
The kids name was Zach Allen. We're gonna miss him this year,but I think we'll be o.k..
Why would Harlan play Corbin instead of Harlan Co. If you are going to get beat, you might as well make money off it.