Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(23) Vanderbilt 81 - (18) Kentucky 77 (Men's Basketball)
Does it matter, they were down 4.
OMG we lost again it's END OF THE WORLD! Lets chase Cal out of KY and burn down his house...Remember we are pretty much relying on our freshmen for everything this year, who are going to make freshman mistakes. Yes we did rely on our freshmen last year also, but we had the help of the veteran Patterson to help us out. The veterans we have this year are no where on the level Patterson was. Miller usually disappears in the games and when he finally has an ok game, he follows it up with a horrible game. Liggins gives us great defense just about every game, but we can't rely on him to be a constant offensive threat. As for Jorts he is pretty constant, but not the wow factor we need. We simply do not have the leadership from the veterans we that need this year. To say we need to get rid of Cal is ignorant. Atleast he hasn't lost to the likes of Gardner webb and VMI at home. The SEC is tough every year whether it is a down year for the conference or not.
First off, I don't know what some of you all are thinking. Cal's coaching job is not in jeopardy and UK will make the NCAA Tournament. I don't know why any of you all would think otherwise, because we have a top 20 RPI & SOS and have key wins over two of the better teams in the Big East.

I agree with just about everything else that has been posted though, because as a team, UK is totally lost toward the end of the game.

Liggins played very hard, but made two very critical mistakes late in the game with the attempted passes to Harrellson, when (like someone mentioned) Lamb was WIDE open for 3's. Jones & Knight played well also and so did Harrellson, but this team isn't going to win close games due to fatigue and the lack of knowing what to do at then end of these close games.

Have to give credit where credit is due though, because John Jenkins went NUTS on the Cats today. Plus as a team, Vandy knocked down their open 3-point shots, but then again, who doesn't knock down the big 3's on us?
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:OMG we lost again it's END OF THE WORLD! Lets chase Cal out of KY and burn down his house...Remember we are pretty much relying on our freshmen for everything this year, who are going to make freshman mistakes. Yes we did rely on our freshmen last year also, but we had the help of the veteran Patterson to help us out. The veterans we have this year are no where on the level Patterson was. Miller usually disappears in the games and when he finally has an ok game, he follows it up with a horrible game. Liggins gives us great defense just about every game, but we can't rely on him to be a constant offensive threat. As for Jorts he is pretty constant, but not the wow factor we need. We simply do not have the leadership from the veterans we that need this year. To say we need to get rid of Cal is ignorant. Atleast he hasn't lost to the likes of Gardner webb and VMI at home. The SEC is tough every year whether it is a down year for the conference or not.

Who do you pin the lack of urgency on? Is it the coaches job to coach late game situations in practice? The last couple of minutes of the game they looked lost and confused. The excuse of freshman mistakes is no longer legitimate because the season only has 5 or 6 games left. Those freshmen should already know what to do in these situations.
Cal using a 6-man rotation is killing them.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Cal using a 6-man rotation is killing them.

He has no other choice!
TheGuyYouLoveToHate Wrote:OMG we lost again it's END OF THE WORLD! Lets chase Cal out of KY and burn down his house...Remember we are pretty much relying on our freshmen for everything this year, who are going to make freshman mistakes. Yes we did rely on our freshmen last year also, but we had the help of the veteran Patterson to help us out. The veterans we have this year are no where on the level Patterson was. Miller usually disappears in the games and when he finally has an ok game, he follows it up with a horrible game. Liggins gives us great defense just about every game, but we can't rely on him to be a constant offensive threat. As for Jorts he is pretty constant, but not the wow factor we need. We simply do not have the leadership from the veterans we that need this year. To say we need to get rid of Cal is ignorant. Atleast he hasn't lost to the likes of Gardner webb and VMI at home. The SEC is tough every year whether it is a down year for the conference or not.

Agreed, once we get the Gillispie players off this team then we will all forget about our road struggles in the 10/11 season. Cal will have a roster full of guys who aren't afraid to shoot, be aggressive, or rip the rim off.

Miller has all the potential in the world, but I honestly don't know what runs through his mind during games, because he'll look like a lottery pick on one possession and someone who couldn't even get PT at Pikeville College on the next. Liggins is tough as nails, but he's a liability on offense (like you said). Harrellson would be a very good player for a mid-major, but he's no SEC level player.

We have 3 guys that aren't afraid of anything, and then we have 8 or 9 others who are dazed & confused most of the game.
Jarons Wrote:Who do you pin the lack of urgency on? Is it the coaches job to coach late game situations in practice? The last couple of minutes of the game they looked lost and confused. The excuse of freshman mistakes is no longer legitimate because the season only has 5 or 6 games left. Those freshmen should already know what to do in these situations.

I haven't been to the practices and watched them, but maybe you have...I'm sure they practice late game situations, but when it comes down to it Cal can prepare them for any situation, but if the players do not apply what they learned in practice then they will panic and look confused.
What are you guys talking about? We lost because Vandy was hitting like crazy from everywhere. **** Tinsley hit one from the "I" in Vanderbuilt with Knight hanging all over him. What can you do and we were still in the game. We had some turnovers late but look at this. Take away the retarded Technical foul they handed to Liggins and the phantom foul on the three point attempt and UK wins.
Wow, you people have some problems. I'll break down a few things:

1) Kentucky will make the NCAA tournament with ease

2) Calipari is in no way going to lose his job. Understand? Clear enough?

3) Vandy is a solid team. This isn't losing to VMI or St. Johns or Lousiville.

4) If UK drops out of the top 25, I'll eat my hat.

5) Chances UK can still turn around and win the SEC? Very likely.
Jarons Wrote:Who do you pin the lack of urgency on? Is it the coaches job to coach late game situations in practice? The last couple of minutes of the game they looked lost and confused. The excuse of freshman mistakes is no longer legitimate because the season only has 5 or 6 games left. Those freshmen should already know what to do in these situations.
Spot on!!:Thumbs:
Real Badman Wrote:Wow, you people have some problems. I'll break down a few things:

#2 Keep thinking that. If he can't get a handle on the SEC, year in and out, UK will toss his *** to quick to talk about. #4 I want to watch, because it is going to happen before they get done with this years regular season. Actually, at least 4 of your points are debatable, but we will wait until this year is over and revisit this post.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:First off, I don't know what some of you all are thinking. Cal's coaching job is not in jeopardy and UK will make the NCAA Tournament. I don't know why any of you all would think otherwise, because we have a top 20 RPI & SOS and have key wins over two of the better teams in the Big East.

I agree with just about everything else that has been posted though, because as a team, UK is totally lost toward the end of the game.

Liggins played very hard, but made two very critical mistakes late in the game with the attempted passes to Harrellson, when (like someone mentioned) Lamb was WIDE open for 3's. Jones & Knight played well also and so did Harrellson, but this team isn't going to win close games due to fatigue and the lack of knowing what to do at then end of these close games.

Have to give credit where credit is due though, because John Jenkins went NUTS on the Cats today. Plus as a team, Vandy knocked down their open 3-point shots, but then again, who doesn't knock down the big 3's on us?

Real Badman Wrote:Wow, you people have some problems. I'll break down a few things:

no one said his Job was in Danger, what was said was that i know some people that if he can't do Win games that he should that he should be gone and some want him gone but some want him around. me? i want him to stick around.
Look guy's Cal's not losing his job. So those trying defend him need not think anyone on here truly believes he is in danger currently, so save yourself the typing. However, it is evident that the track record that repeats itself is evident.

Take this however you want, but be honest with yourself before you either think I'm disparaging Cal for you to have to defend. Cal's teams have displayed an inability to play organized down the stretch of games. What I saw today at the end of the game has been a repeat over and over this season. It happened last year in both losses. And when you go back to the Memphis debacle in the Finals, and the UMass loss to UK in the Semi's in '96 it was the exact same situation. That's not to say his teams do not pull out games at the end. But can anyone tell me a time where a Cal team ran an organized plan in the last minutes of a game where his team did not need the outstanding work of an individual player? It's fly by the seat of your pants coaching at the end of games. The three losses previous, our gameplan and attempt at game ending play all looked unorganized and undisciplined. Take it for what it's worth, if the players don't win the game, we won't win. And that is to mean that we do not have great "Plays" we have great "Players". I can take a team of Great Players and win!

As for the age and experience of these players. Knock the non-sense off about their age. They are playing at the University of Kentucky! Their confidence is worn on the front of their jerseys! The recruits from the last two years have seen every imaginable situation in basketball. And finally, they have played against competition better than the teams that they have lost to so far in AAU tournaments. So, the type of Basketball player at UK cannot be argued that they are too young.

The only credible response that I have seen was by BCA. I'll give it that the Cal recruit is a totally different animal. They type of player that comes in has no reservations about playing the game at the highest level both defensively and offensively. They are just better basketball players than any other recruits that are going to other schools. Once the hold-overs are gone (though Vargas is a Cal guy), I believe whatever kids who are here will be better players than what is left on this squad currently. UK will forever have one and done's, thus he has to bring in support players and my hope is those support players can contribute over a four year span. However, if he thinks he can bring in a support guy like Poole and expect him to stay for four years, he's a fool. So only time will tell how this team evolves over the next few years as guys who only stay for 1-2 seasons move on and we see what kind of hold over guys we can keep for four years.
TheRealVille Wrote:#2 Keep thinking that. If he can't get a handle on the SEC, year in and out, UK will toss his *** to quick to talk about. #4 I want to watch, because it is going to happen before they get done with this years regular season. Actually, at least 4 of your points are debatable, but we will wait until this year is over and revisit this post.

If UK fired John Calipari that will be the worst mistake since they hired Billy G. If UK loses other game later in the season, then its possible, but to drop out of the top 25 as someone earlier pointed out will not happen. It's a pretty simple context. If you want Calipari gone, well you need to change your colors to red and black.
Stardust Wrote:Look guy's Cal's not losing his job. So those trying defend him need not think anyone on here truly believes he is in danger currently, so save yourself the typing. However, it is evident that the track record that repeats itself is evident.

Take this however you want, but be honest with yourself before you either think I'm disparaging Cal for you to have to defend. Cal's teams have displayed an inability to play organized down the stretch of games. What I saw today at the end of the game has been a repeat over and over this season. It happened last year in both losses. And when you go back to the Memphis debacle in the Finals, and the UMass loss to UK in the Semi's in '96 it was the exact same situation. That's not to say his teams do not pull out games at the end. But can anyone tell me a time where a Cal team ran an organized plan in the last minutes of a game where his team did not need the outstanding work of an individual player? It's fly by the seat of your pants coaching at the end of games. The three losses previous, our gameplan and attempt at game ending play all looked unorganized and undisciplined. Take it for what it's worth, if the players don't win the game, we won't win. And that is to mean that we do not have great "Plays" we have great "Players". I can take a team of Great Players and win!

As for the age and experience of these players. Knock the non-sense off about their age. They are playing at the University of Kentucky! Their confidence is worn on the front of their jerseys! The recruits from the last two years have seen every imaginable situation in basketball. And finally, they have played against competition better than the teams that they have lost to so far in AAU tournaments. So, the type of Basketball player at UK cannot be argued that they are too young.

The only credible response that I have seen was by BCA. I'll give it that the Cal recruit is a totally different animal. They type of player that comes in has no reservations about playing the game at the highest level both defensively and offensively. They are just better basketball players than any other recruits that are going to other schools. Once the hold-overs are gone (though Vargas is a Cal guy), I believe whatever kids who are here will be better players than what is left on this squad currently. UK will forever have one and done's, thus he has to bring in support players and my hope is those support players can contribute over a four year span. However, if he thinks he can bring in a support guy like Poole and expect him to stay for four years, he's a fool. So only time will tell how this team evolves over the next few years as guys who only stay for 1-2 seasons move on and we see what kind of hold over guys we can keep for four years.

^I can agree with this.
Strikeout King Wrote:there's some people that want Coach Cal Gone because he's too worried about having 5 First Round Draft Picks Than A National Championship and Kentucky Wants Championships And He Can't Seem To Get It Done
Who in the world wants Cal gone? I've been critical of him, but he's the right man for the job.
He's definitely not a good in game coach, but he's done a great job thus far.
I'll say this though, if he don't at least reach the final 4 within his first four years UK fans will grow restless(rightfully so) because of the expectations here, and the fact we haven't been there since 98.
TheRealVille Wrote:I didn't watch today, because I didn't want to screw up a good Saturday.

:Thumbs: Haha.
vs. Connecticut Maui, Hawaii L, 84-67 ,at North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. L, 75-73 ,at Georgia * Athens, Ga. L, 77-70 ,at Alabama * Tuscaloosa, Ala. L, 68-66 ,at Ole Miss * Oxford, Miss. L, 71-69 at Florida Gainesville, Fla. L, 70-68 ,at Vanderbilt * Nashville, Tenn. L, 81-77 , in those 7loses they lost by a total of 36 points,i dont see them losing another in regular season,expect probally at TN, i think they win at Arkansas,.............hers ther RPI. which is number 12 in the country.. 1. BYU 21 2 .6353 5 .6809
2. Kansas 22 1 .6186 15 .6789
3. Ohio St. 24 0 .5799 39 .6775
4. San Diego St. 21 1 .5837 36 .6720
5. Georgetown 18 5 .6604 3 .6640
6. Pittsburgh 21 2 .6015 25 .6577
7. Texas 20 3 .6100 18 .6540
8. Duke 21 2 .5502 72 .6491
9. Notre Dame 19 4 .5951 28 .6460
10. Connecticut 18 4 .6174 16 .6453
11. Purdue 18 5 .6009 26 .6411
12. Kentucky 16 6 .6304 10 .6407
no one likes the (L)'S DONT REMEMBER those was at someone home floor, the tournment, more than likely, will be like UK playing at HOME, they will have more fans there,depending on there seed, i think they can make the 3rd round...they may fall out of top 25 this week, it will be close, but they will be right back in it.
strikeout king Wrote:there's some people that want coach cal gone because he's too worried about having 5 first round draft picks than a national championship and kentucky wants championships and he can't seem to get it done

hes been there 1 year! Lol?
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Cal using a 6-man rotation is killing them.

We played 9 tonight.
TheRealVille Wrote:I've said this very thing tons of times before and Cal's fans on here jumped me big time. Good luck sstack. Cal is not a good coach. He is just a good recruiter of freshman's that are pretty good. He can not coach them though, when they get here. If UK is in a close game at the end, they lose.

What kind of statement is this?

Was Phil Jackson a great coach? He only had MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Pippen.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:We played 9 tonight.
Vargas played 5 minutes
Polson played 3 minutes
Hood logged a single minute

I guess that's technically a 9 man rotation lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Vargas played 5 minutes
Polson played 3 minutes

You are right, technically they "played."
^ yep lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Vargas played 5 minutes
Polson played 3 minutes

Lol, :Thumbs:.
Strikeout King Wrote:True. But if he don't turn things around will he be gone?

My gosh people. Is it really that bad?

We have SIX players that are worth a half of a ****! The six players that we have are very good, but playing them 35+ minutes per game is going to make them tired, but what choice do we have? Coach Cal said after the game, "I played Brandon too many minutes. But I didn't have any other choice."

17-7 isn't that bad. We will make the NCAA Tournament. I don't know why that's even being questioned. If this is going to be considered as a down year in Kentucky basketball under Coach Calipari then I'm one **** happy camper with him as the Commonwealth's coach.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:What kind of statement is this?

Was Phil Jackson a great coach? He only had MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Pippen.

:Thumbs: I can't count how many times I've made that statement.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:My gosh people. Is it really that bad?

We have SIX players that are worth a half of a ****! The six players that we have are very good, but playing them 35+ minutes per game is going to make them tired, but what choice do we have? Coach Cal said after the game, "I played Brandon too many minutes. But I didn't have any other choice."

17-7 isn't that bad. We will make the NCAA Tournament. I don't know why that's even being questioned. If this is going to be considered as a down year in Kentucky basketball under Coach Calipari then I'm one **** happy camper with him as the Commonwealth's coach.

i didn't say it was that bad, i just said that i know some people that don't like Coach Cal's Coaching, they don't have a problem with his Recruiting cause he can recruit they just don't like how he coaches, but Each Loss besides the UCONN Loss have been within a few points
outdoorsman43 Wrote:My gosh people. Is it really that bad?

At UK, 17-7 is definitely not good either, but I agree for a down year, you can't complain too much. Cal can't have too many years like this and survive here though.
But only having six players worthy of PT, is Cals fault since he IS the best recruiter in the nation, don't ya think? I know this would be a different story if Kanter was eligible, but Cal knew the risk with him too start with.