Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 2011
Trouble lurking around the corner for Highlands. Johnson Central is loaded next year.
SK would beat Highlands if they played this coming year!
False Hope Wrote:Trouble lurking around the corner for Highlands. Johnson Central is loaded next year.

Fitting opinion coinciding with Groundhog Day.:zzz:
UK1fan Wrote:SK would beat Highlands if they played this coming year!
You are joking, right?
2dog Wrote:You are joking, right?

SK would have beat Highlands 3 straight years if they played the past 3 seasons!
UK1fan Wrote:SK would have beat Highlands 3 straight years if they played the past 3 seasons!

That is a ridiculous statement. You cant post stuff drunk or you will look like a fool. SK has never beatn Highlands and never will.

The best SK year of all time was Miles Simpson SR yr. This same year Highlands dominated Cincinnati St. X, beat Ryle twice (both times by 20+ points), and won state undefeated. This same year SK got owned by Ryle by over 20 points.

Now you seriously believe that SK could beat Highlands that year? (2009)

Some year off in the distant future maybe SK will get one from Highlands but first they have to get the guts to schedule them. Highlands has never lost to SK and has always had a better team.
birdman44 Wrote:SK has never beatn Highlands .

Im sorry... did a little research. Highlands is 25-1 vs SK. So I guess they have gotten one on the birds. But it had to have been pre 1990s, I couldnt find it on the KHSAA site.
SK beat Ryle a lot worse than Highlands did Miles senior year. Also Cincy St. X wasn't that great of a team but still Highlands most likely goes undefeated against SK the past 3 years.
False Hope Wrote:Trouble lurking around the corner for Highlands. Johnson Central is loaded next year.

I thought 2010 was the year that Johnson Central thought they were going to take the win from Highlands?
tradition Wrote:I thought 2010 was the year that Johnson Central thought they were going to take the win from Highlands?

I recall the same thing... if my memory serves me correctly, assuming both teams advance, the state quarterfinal will be at Highlands this fall. I'll take Patrick Towles, et al over JJ Jude et al.

Aren't the always loaded? No one can debate about whether or not JC has great athletes, as they do year in and year out. What has been pointed out on boards like this (by JC fans) is that they suffer from a lack in numbers of those athletes, causing many to play both ways.
UK1fan Wrote:SK would have beat Highlands 3 straight years if they played the past 3 seasons!
You my friend, are a very funny man!:lmao:
horst muhlmann Wrote:I recall the same thing... if my memory serves me correctly, assuming both teams advance, the state quarterfinal will be at Highlands this fall. I'll take Patrick Towles, et al over JJ Jude et al.

I was hoping for the playoffs at Highlands this year also , but I heard that because of the class change , Highlands will again this year travel for the playoffs. Hoping this is wrong.
birdman44 Wrote:Ryle will be 1 dimensional this year. Travis Elliot will be a beasty senior but with no Hemple they will be worse. Just set up a run defense and have a fast hard hitter spying him all day and the birds will win by 2 scores at least.

Boyle graduated all their starters at skill positions so I would guess H would have an upper hand with them.
Elder was the dumpster of the GCL south last year, but still is Elder. Should be a good game... I just hope we dont throw QP Fade every play.

Im most concerned about Cov Cath to be honest. Birr was pretty good last year as a soph. They gave H a scare last year with a super young team. graduated timmerman and conelley but i think the classes coming up are more balanced for the colonels.

Actually Boyle returns their most explosive runner, Devin Cox who split the time with Cook at RB. Cox still had over 1500 yards and 17 TD's last season. He will be a senior this next year.

Zach Hester (who started at LB last year) will be moving to the offensive side as well I believe.

Blake Mason played a lot last year at TE and is a good prospect as a Junior next season. He had 7 TD catches last year which led the Rebels in that Department.

Steven Talbott likewise returns as a tall receiver with 2 TD catches in 2010.

Lloyd Hall snagged 18 throws last year and will be back for his Junior campaign.

Finally, Bryant Warnock showed up at the end of the season as a transfer and didn't have time to learn the system. Still he rushed 5 times for 49 yards and 1 TD in only 4 games.

The Rebels return more at the skill positions than you think.

That said, they are still having to find some replacements off the last squads that led the way (Most notable being Lamar). I look for Highlands to win the early matchup but the Rebels should improve as the season progresses. If they get a chance to hook up again later in the year I think Boyle might make a better game of it then. :Thumbs:
nptb17 Wrote:SK beat Ryle a lot worse than Highlands did Miles senior year. Also Cincy St. X wasn't that great of a team but still Highlands most likely goes undefeated against SK the past 3 years.

Depends on what one uses to determine Cincy St X "wasn't that great of a team" in 09. If being a "great" team means winning a state championship, Cincy X has only had a great football team twice in modern history and since they didn't win State in 09, using that as a barometer, yeah, I'd have to agree that Cincy X wasn't great in 09. But I think you can be a great team but not win the D1 championship in Ohio because of the quality of football played at that level in Ohio.

I will remind you that in 09 they were GCL champs (a rather notable accomplishment in and of itself), and they beat Colerain, Indy Cathedral, Lou. X, Trinity (actually they destroyed Trinity), Elder, St Eds, and Moeller during the regular season. That's not chopped liver opposition as you know. Their only reg season losses were to Highlands by 5 and to St Iggy by 9 ( a Saturday afternoon game at Iggy after a 4.5 plus hour bus ride the week before the Moeller game). They beat Centerville in the playoffs and lost to Elder by three points in the playoffs. Elder lost by a whopping 4 points to Hillard Davidson. HD had a pretty good football team in 09 as you might recall. They won the Ohio Div 1 championship that year.

I know it can be misleading at times to extrapolate game scores, but the Elder team that gave the eventual Ohio D1 champion one heck of a game in the playoffs, did lose to Cincy X during the regular season and only beat Cincy X by three points in the playoffs. X was on Elder's level in 09 in my opinion and Elder lost a very close playoff game to the eventual state champion. I guess since Elder lost during the regular season to X and lost to HD in the playoffs, Elder "wasn't that great of a team" either in 09. The truth is that with a break or two Cincy X could very easily have been the Oh. D1 state champion in 09. And the additional truth is that both Cincy X and Elder had extremely good football teams in 09.

I think any attempt to devalue the Highlands win over Cincy X by discounting the quality of the 09 Cincy X team seems rather unfair to me. It's not like they went 5-5 and their 5 wins were against weak teams. It's not like their two losses to teams other than Highlands were to weak teams either. One of those two losses was a 3 point loss to a team that lost in the playoffs by 4 points to the team that won it all that year.

Like you, I follow Cincy high school football very closely and I know that the 09 Cincy X team was an extremely good football team. If Cincy X wasn't "that great of a team" in 09 as you submit (but with which I disagree), it was still an exceptionally good one.

Johnson Central loses way too much to challenge highlands this year.
birdman44 Wrote:Im sorry... did a little research. Highlands is 25-1 vs SK. So I guess they have gotten one on the birds. But it had to have been pre 1990s, I couldnt find it on the KHSAA site.

Highlands lost to Simon Kenton in 1974 by a score of 10-7. Highlands was 7-3 in 1974. Other loses that year were to NewCath 15-14 and Lloyd 15-14.
Hatz Wrote:Actually Boyle returns their most explosive runner, Devin Cox who split the time with Cook at RB. Cox still had over 1500 yards and 17 TD's last season. He will be a senior this next year.

Zach Hester (who started at LB last year) will be moving to the offensive side as well I believe.

Blake Mason played a lot last year at TE and is a good prospect as a Junior next season. He had 7 TD catches last year which led the Rebels in that Department.

Steven Talbott likewise returns as a tall receiver with 2 TD catches in 2010.

Lloyd Hall snagged 18 throws last year and will be back for his Junior campaign.

Finally, Bryant Warnock showed up at the end of the season as a transfer and didn't have time to learn the system. Still he rushed 5 times for 49 yards and 1 TD in only 4 games.

The Rebels return more at the skill positions than you think.

That said, they are still having to find some replacements off the last squads that led the way (Most notable being Lamar). I look for Highlands to win the early matchup but the Rebels should improve as the season progresses. If they get a chance to hook up again later in the year I think Boyle might make a better game of it then. :Thumbs:

And don't forget Whittle at QB who stepped in the W. Jessamine game and played like a starter. Harrington also returns as a starter on defense and is the emotional leader of the team. Warnock won't be an option next season; he has been sent back to Florida.
Dont get me wrong, Boyle is a serious football team that will give the birds a game any year. I was just looking at there KHSAA player stats from last year and saw a lot of SRs next to the leaders.

JC, Ive heard, had a lot of sophs and frosh playing last year. I know they graduated some playmakers but it looks like they will still be a viable contender.

And hasnt Lone Oak been a good squad in the past? how are they looking for 11?
Wise one Wrote:Highlands lost to Simon Kenton in 1974 by a score of 10-7. Highlands was 7-3 in 1974. Other loses that year were to NewCath 15-14 and Lloyd 15-14.

Wow three losses by a total of 5 points.
Wise one Wrote:Highlands lost to Simon Kenton in 1974 by a score of 10-7. Highlands was 7-3 in 1974. Other loses that year were to NewCath 15-14 and Lloyd 15-14.

Im guessing that this 74 Lloyd squad was being coach by old Red Dog Daughty? is that the year he won state with them?
birdman44 Wrote:Im guessing that this 74 Lloyd squad was being coach by old Red Dog Daughty? is that the year he won state with them?

Red Dog won state with Lloyd in 1976. 1974 may have been his first year at Lloyd. I know he coached at Colerain before he went to Lloyd. I think 1973 was his last at Colerain where they went 0-10.
charlie22 Wrote:Depends on what one uses to determine Cincy St X "wasn't that great of a team" in 09. If being a "great" team means winning a state championship, Cincy X has only had a great football team twice in modern history and since they didn't win State in 09, using that as a barometer, yeah, I'd have to agree that Cincy X wasn't great in 09. But I think you can be a great team but not win the D1 championship in Ohio because of the quality of football played at that level in Ohio.

I will remind you that in 09 they were GCL champs (a rather notable accomplishment in and of itself), and they beat Colerain, Indy Cathedral, Lou. X, Trinity (actually they destroyed Trinity), Elder, St Eds, and Moeller during the regular season. That's not chopped liver opposition as you know. Their only reg season losses were to Highlands by 5 and to St Iggy by 9 ( a Saturday afternoon game at Iggy after a 4.5 plus hour bus ride the week before the Moeller game). They beat Centerville in the playoffs and lost to Elder by three points in the playoffs. Elder lost by a whopping 4 points to Hillard Davidson. HD had a pretty good football team in 09 as you might recall. They won the Ohio Div 1 championship that year.

I know it can be misleading at times to extrapolate game scores, but the Elder team that gave the eventual Ohio D1 champion one heck of a game in the playoffs, did lose to Cincy X during the regular season and only beat Cincy X by three points in the playoffs. X was on Elder's level in 09 in my opinion and Elder lost a very close playoff game to the eventual state champion. I guess since Elder lost during the regular season to X and lost to HD in the playoffs, Elder "wasn't that great of a team" either in 09. The truth is that with a break or two Cincy X could very easily have been the Oh. D1 state champion in 09. And the additional truth is that both Cincy X and Elder had extremely good football teams in 09.

I think any attempt to devalue the Highlands win over Cincy X by discounting the quality of the 09 Cincy X team seems rather unfair to me. It's not like they went 5-5 and their 5 wins were against weak teams. It's not like their two losses to teams other than Highlands were to weak teams either. One of those two losses was a 3 point loss to a team that lost in the playoffs by 4 points to the team that won it all that year.

Like you, I follow Cincy high school football very closely and I know that the 09 Cincy X team was an extremely good football team. If Cincy X wasn't "that great of a team" in 09 as you submit (but with which I disagree), it was still an exceptionally good one.

Cincy St X had no playmakers what so ever in 2009 and the fact of the matter is Highlands should have beat them worse than what they did. I wasn't taking anything away from Highlands but saying that just because they beat that Cincincy St X team who got breaks all season and could have easily had 4 losses on their resume doesn't mean that they would have walked over Simon Kenton. Moeller did everything in the power to give St. X the game and they beat Elder because Elder's top reciever went out with a shoulder injury after making a crazy catch in the first half. That reciever came back in the second round of the playoffs and St. X had no one who could cover him. Truth be told Anderson was the best team in Cincinnati that year and only lost to Elder because of an injury to the runningback but that is part of the game.
nptb17 Wrote:Cincy St X had no playmakers what so ever in 2009 and the fact of the matter is Highlands should have beat them worse than what they did. I wasn't taking anything away from Highlands but saying that just because they beat that Cincincy St X team who got breaks all season and could have easily had 4 losses on their resume doesn't mean that they would have walked over Simon Kenton. Moeller did everything in the power to give St. X the game and they beat Elder because Elder's top reciever went out with a shoulder injury after making a crazy catch in the first half. That reciever came back in the second round of the playoffs and St. X had no one who could cover him. Truth be told Anderson was the best team in Cincinnati that year and only lost to Elder because of an injury to the runningback but that is part of the game.

X was hurting for playmakers on O; that was definitely not the case on D.

With Elder's star receiver back for the playoff game, Elder still only scored 17 points and only beat X by 3. Not sure where you get this stuff about X having no one that could cover O'Connor. He had three receptions for 30-something yards in the playoff game. He had one touchdown. Doesn't sound to me like O'Connor was a player that X couldn't cover; unless Ramsey is a stupid coach and couldn't call plays for a 5th grade team.
tradition Wrote:I thought 2010 was the year that Johnson Central thought they were going to take the win from Highlands?

Amazing attitude you have there tradition:eyeroll:, since you almost (yeah I know what almost means) went home with your tail feathers clipped. I thought you were supposed to be one of the classy Highlands posters? Hmmmm? It's no wonder most detest some (well lets be honest....."most") of you Highlands fans. I would think that you wouldn't even waste your time over here on this website , since you have your own private one over at BGP (Bluegrassp***ks.com) where you can just brag and boast, and brag and boast, and brag and boast to one another 24/7. You know, kinda like your own little private country club over there. For one thing, I dont think the guy that made the quote is even a JC fan. Rest assured, you guys can hang on to your smugness and your arrogance for probably another year tradition. This is a major rebuilding year for JC in a few positions. They have an amazing amount of young talent coming up, but young talent is what it is. IMO they will field a good team in 2011 , but not sure all the youth will be ready for prime time, just yet. Then again you never know, Matney does amazing things. However, in a couple of years, you can bet on it.
Bob Seger Wrote:Amazing attitude you have there tradition:eyeroll:, since you almost (yeah I know what almost means) went home with your tail feathers clipped. I thought you were supposed to be one of the classy Highlands posters? It's no wonder most detest some (well lets be honest....."most" Highlands fans) of you guys. I would think that you wouldn't even waste your time over here on this website , since you have your own private one over at BGP (Bluegrassp***ks.com) where you can just brag and boast, and brag and boast, and brag and boast to one another 24/7. You know, kinda like your own little private country club over there. For one thing, I dont think the guy that made the quote is even a JC fan. Rest assured, you guys can hang on to your smugness and your arrogance for another year tradition. This is a major rebuilding year for JC in a few positions. They have an amazing amount of young talent coming up, but young talent is what it is. IMO they will field a good team in 2011 , but not sure all the youth will be ready for prime time, just yet. Then again you never know, Matney does amazing things. However, in a couple of years, you can bet on it.

Whoa there fellow. Tradition responded to a post with a fair question based on comments made on here by JC fans after the 09 loss to Highlands and based on comments made personally to tradition and me after the 09 game by several JC fans. We were told that 2010 was the year that JC was going to beat Highlands but after 2010 JC was going to lose a lot and would not be near as good as they were in 2010, a point you obviously agree with based on your post. So when a poster (whom I doubt tradition knew was not a JC fan) says JC will be loaded and will be lurking for Highlands, it's only logical for one to ask the question tradition did. I thought the exact same thing tradition did.

And I'd suggest that before you criticize tradition for the attitudes expressed in the posts made by tradition, you might want to review your's. I have a lot of respect for most JC fans based on their posts on here and my opportunities to meet several of them in person over the years at the games we've played one another and at games I've attended to watch JC. I doubt you care, but you are not in that category.

No doubt that we have some fans that are smug and arrogant; tradition is not one of them. Tradition asked a fair question.
Bob Seger Wrote:Amazing attitude you have there tradition:eyeroll:, since you almost (yeah I know what almost means) went home with your tail feathers clipped. I thought you were supposed to be one of the classy Highlands posters? Hmmmm? It's no wonder most detest some (well lets be honest....."most") of you Highlands fans. I would think that you wouldn't even waste your time over here on this website , since you have your own private one over at BGP (Bluegrassp***ks.com) where you can just brag and boast, and brag and boast, and brag and boast to one another 24/7. You know, kinda like your own little private country club over there. For one thing, I dont think the guy that made the quote is even a JC fan. Rest assured, you guys can hang on to your smugness and your arrogance for probably another year tradition. This is a major rebuilding year for JC in a few positions. They have an amazing amount of young talent coming up, but young talent is what it is. IMO they will field a good team in 2011 , but not sure all the youth will be ready for prime time, just yet. Then again you never know, Matney does amazing things. However, in a couple of years, you can bet on it.

Nice try Bob, but actually stood on the field in '09 after the Highlands vs. JC game and heard this from one of JC's finest.

Highlands vs. JC in '10 was the game I and everyone else (coaches included) were the most worried about and for good reason. I guess JC doesn't rebuild ,they reload.
tradition Wrote:Nice try Bob, but actually stood on the field in '09 after the Highlands vs. JC game and heard this from one of JC's finest.

Highlands vs. JC in '10 was the game I and everyone else (coaches included) were the most worried about and for good reason. I guess JC doesn't rebuild ,they reload.

Nice try on what??? I'm referring to a statement that you quoted from someone on here that isn't a JC fan concerning next year. Dont have a clue as to anything you heard concerning this past year, but by golly whoever said whatever it is you are referring to certainly didn't mince their words. Just a tad short, by a finger or two. Granted not quite enough, but close enough to warrant a lack of arrogance from anyone anywhere.

I wouldn't say reload by any means, but they usually have a pretty good core in which to build upon for the near future anyways..
charlie22 Wrote:Whoa there fellow. Tradition responded to a post with a fair question based on comments made on here by JC fans after the 09 loss to Highlands and based on comments made personally to tradition and me after the 09 game by several JC fans. We were told that 2010 was the year that JC was going to beat Highlands but after 2010 JC was going to lose a lot and would not be near as good as they were in 2010, a point you obviously agree with based on your post. So when a poster (whom I doubt tradition knew was not a JC fan) says JC will be loaded and will be lurking for Highlands, it's only logical for one to ask the question tradition did. I thought the exact same thing tradition did.

And I'd suggest that before you criticize tradition for the attitudes expressed in the posts made by tradition, you might want to review your's. I have a lot of respect for most JC fans based on their posts on here and my opportunities to meet several of them in person over the years at the games we've played one another and at games I've attended to watch JC. I doubt you care, but you are not in that category.

No doubt that we have some fans that are smug and arrogant; tradition is not one of them. Tradition asked a fair question.

Gee Chuck, and after I have stated time and time again on here of the respect I've had for yours truley. Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

So, I guess an official respose would probably be along the lines of, Based solely on this particular post, while I once probably would have (when it came to yourself), bottom line I guess," I really dont" would be a correct assessment on your part.

Perhaps when it all comes right down to it, maybe there has been an incorrect evaluation from this end. Some of those we revere, may not be quite as we assumed. Sometimes it happens. However, I will afford you this. There is no doubt that HHS is in a class by themselves. Year end results have certainly demonstrated that fact over a very long period of time. Anyways Chuck, good luck on reeling in #21 next year. You should be an overwhelming favorite.:Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:Gee Chuck, and after I have stated time and time again on here of the respect I've had for yours truley. Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

So, I guess an official respose would probably be along the lines of, Based solely on this particular post, while I once probably would have (when it came to yourself), bottom line I guess," I really dont" would be a correct assessment on your part.

Perhaps when it all comes right down to it, maybe there has been an incorrect evaluation from this end. Some of those we revere, may not be quite as we assumed. Sometimes it happens. However, I will afford you this. There is no doubt that HHS is in a class by themselves. Year end results have certainly demonstrated that fact over a very long period of time. Anyways Chuck, good luck on reeling in #21 next year. You should be an overwhelming favorite.:Thumbs:

I hope you are right, but I have no idea at this point if we will be an overwhelming favorite or not next year. We should be good, likely very good, but there are a lot of very good programs in 4A (including JC's, Boyle's, LexCath's etc.). Since I haven't seen what those teams will look like, I'm not sure if we are the/an overwhelming favorite or not.

I do appreciate the wishes of good luck and I extend them back to JC.