Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest turn around in the 15th?
A quick revisit to this has to be pikeville at this time with the win over er to put them in the region tourney.
Since he said contender I would go with Paintsville. They were flippin horrible last year and I dont think they even were 500.
I'd go with Magoffin, Betsy Layne was suppose to be good.
"SuperStar" Wrote:Fortunately for Mr. Bart Williams Pikeville has two good groups of youngsters coming up with the 8th and 7th grade classes. It will make Williams look like a genius and Dave Thomas look like a failure. There is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time. :thumb:

Wow. Right place at the right time...really? You have got to give Coach Williams a little more credit than that...dont you???? Going to the regional tourney for the first time in 5 years (your first year as head coach), in my opinion, isnt being in the right place at the right time. And didnt he coach these younger players the last couple of years? So, isnt this his foundation he is working with?:theman:
Betsy Layne, Magoffin Co. and Pikeville have all had better years than expected. Pikeville, however, has had the greatest turn around, not only from last year but from the beginning of this year. The best years for the Panthers are still to come. The program has been down to say the least for the past 5-6 years. Coach Williiams has done a great job and I'm sure the players, fans and school administration appreciate his efforts. Good luck Coach Williams and the Pikeville Panthers this year and in the years to come.
I agree dunn that he has worked with the core group for 2 or 3 years add harmon and adams and you have a good group that will work hard and are very young add champlin along with robertson who is playing very well and who knows during tourney time anything can happen these kids are having fun and are playing with no pressure.
bl
"UKGIRL20" Wrote:I'd go with Magoffin, Betsy Layne was suppose to be good.

Biggest turn around has to be betsy layne started the season 4-12 and then went 7-3 to currently be at 11-15. With defeats @ pike central and the thriller @ paintsville. BL has to be the biggest turn around in the 15th.
but yet Betsy lane was suppost to be good, havent you read the Pre-season polls back a couple of months ago. It was either Pikeville or Magoffin.
no doubt Pikeville
I would go with SV from going from great to real bad.
"SuperStar" Wrote:Fortunately for Mr. Bart Williams Pikeville has two good groups of youngsters coming up with the 8th and 7th grade classes. It will make Williams look like a genius and Dave Thomas look like a failure. There is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time. :thumb:

I wouldn't say that just yet. Williams is going to have to win a few more district titles and at least one Regional title and maybe win a game at state to even be considered in the same boat as Dave Thomas.
I like Coach Thomas but he is a better baseball coach than basketball coach IMO. Coach Thomas is a good basketball coach though but the one thing he has failed to do at Pikeville time after time is getting the best athletes in the school to play basketball. Of course there are some exceptions and he has got some of the good ones but most years he hasn't got them esp. in large numbers and its the reason he only won 1 region title. For Bart to be succestul at Pikeville that must change.
"Nike Man" Wrote:What has Pikeville done this season besides beat East ridge twice. The other big win came over Magoffin county. Two wins over Jenkins along with wins over Allen Central,Phelps,and two wins over David School. Breathitt county was the other win. 10 total wins against what I would say was sub-par teams this year. Biggest turnaround? No way? Bart would tell you the same. If they were inviting teams to regional tourney based on strength of schedule along with power wins and R.P.I. Pikeville would be at home watching the show. I'm not knocking the program just an observation. Good luck Panthers.

What has Pikeville done this season????

JUST 59th DISTRICT CHAMPS, THAT'S ALL. Now some would say that's nothing great, but remember, this thread is about turn around.

and it isn't over yet!!!!! Luckily, teams are not invited to the regional tourney, they have to earn their way. Strength of schedule, power wins, etc....Nike, this is what makes March Madness!!! Ever heard of Cinderella?Sorry, but the Panthers will not be home watching the show, like they have for so many years, they may even be starring in it. I know you're not knocking the program but I just had to give Williams and the Panthers their well deserved respect.
"Nike Man" Wrote:What has Pikeville done this season besides beat East ridge twice. The other big win came over Magoffin county. Two wins over Jenkins along with wins over Allen Central,Phelps,and two wins over David School. Breathitt county was the other win. 10 total wins against what I would say was sub-par teams this year. Biggest turnaround? No way? Bart would tell you the same. If they were inviting teams to regional tourney based on strength of schedule along with power wins and R.P.I. Pikeville would be at home watching the show. I'm not knocking the program just an observation. Good luck Panthers.

I totally agree, finally someone has some good basketball knowledge.
Bets Lane I would say.
Betsy Layne