Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paducah Tilghman
28.33%
Somerset
71.67%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset vs. Paducah Tilghman (3A State Championship) 12/5
Tica Wrote:That would be Mayfield Cardinals, 24 miles south US 45. I 'spect some folks wearing blue will be cheering for Mayfield also.
The person that posted they were rooting for somerset is a sheldon clark cardinal fan.
First off I would like to congrats Somerset on a awesome season. But on saying that don't think that you are going to march all over PT, because I know how much speed that Central had and I heard that they had just has much. Remember that speed will kill you, but this one should be interesting because the briar jumpers isn't to shaby either in that department. I do think this will be a close one and I think that they will be a lot of scoring going on. I figure this might come down who has the ball last. But I'm going to have to go with the mountain boys in this one.
Somerset-49
pt----42
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Actually alot of Cardinal support will be supporting PT while we warmup for our game. No idea what Cardinal you are but the Cardinals there will firmly be behind PT.

Calling Somerset a mountain team is like saying Paducah is a ocean front town. The argument that some radio station in God knows where is in their coverage area is like saying that Somerset is a TN town. I'm sure there are TN stations that can be picked up in TN.

Somerset will win this game in PT plays like it did early on (they did go into this way of play early in the Central game) B U T if they play to their potential they will be a hard out. This team has loads of talent but they have a tendency to play without disapline at times with boat loads of turnovers and penalities. Which one shows up will be interesting and I hope it is the PT that has been winning in the playoffs

I am talking about the Cardinals of Sheldon Clark. After last weeks game we gained a lot of respect for Somerset therefore earning out support. Good Luck Somerset. Hope to see you all next year.
I don't think anyone in Somerset is thinking they will just roll over PT. We expect it to be an exceptionally hard game and will have to be on our game to have a chance to win.
What's the deal with PT any way? It's like two different teams took the field this year. I've seen them play twice...saw them get destroyed by Fort Campbell and saw them beat Russellville..which one will show in Bowling Green? Paducah has some good looking athletes and they do have speed to burn. Can't make a prediction as I know nothing about Somerset. Intriguing match up with two tradition rich programs.
Weather forcast looks to favor Somerset in this one!
so does the star alignment
Considering Somerset has never even won this game much less rolled over anyone I seriously doubt anyone in Somerset thinks this is going to be an easy out.
I have a nice childhood memory of Somerset in the state title game. The year was 78 at Eastern's Hanger Field. The Briar Bunnies got absolutely pounded by the Mayfield Cardinals
Cardinal Pride Wrote:Who was PT six losses to. So its no secret that I am a Cardinal fan. I was so excited that this year would have been there year to bring it home. When LC handed them their first loss my husband told me it would be near impossible for a defeated team to bring the state title home. With that being said. Briar Jumpers...you so far have proved my husband right. Your undefeated status makes you the favorite. Find the weakness in the PT team and get the job done just like you did with SC. Bring it on back to the East, South, Mountains or wherever...You have a lot of Cardinal Support.

Paducah Tilghman

Aug. 21st Hopkinsville 14-17 (L)

Aug. 29th Beaumont, MO 33-6 (W)

Sep. 4th Mayfield 12-21 (L)

Sep. 11th Graves County 21-26 (L)

Sep. 18th Fort Campbell 7-53 (L)

Sep. 25th Calloway County 30-12 (W)

Oct. 2nd Webster County 60-6 (W)

Oct. 9th Union County 13-21 (L)

Oct. 16th McLean County 6-28 (L)

Oct. 24th Holy Cross (Louisville) 38-7 (W)

Nov. 6th Edmonson County 56-31 (W) Playoffs

Nov. 13th Union County 34-7 (W) Playoffs

Nov. 20th Russellville 21-14 (W) Playoffs

Nov. 27th Central 24-21 (W) Playoffs

Dec. 5th Somerset 11:00 am Playoffs (Championship)

Somerset

Aug. 21st Knox Central 24-22 (W)

Aug. 28th Pulaski County 18-12 (W)

Sep. 4th Russell County 40-20 (W)

Sep. 11th Danville 48-7 (W)

Sep. 18th Estill County 27-47 (W)

Sep. 25th Casey County 60-9 (W)

Oct. 2nd Taylor County 62-15 (W)

Oct. 9th Garrard County 34-20 (W)

Oct. 16th Wayne County 9-0 (W)

Oct. 23rd Jackson County 1-0 (W) Forfeit

Nov. 6th Magoffin County 48-16 (W) Playoffs

Nov. 13th Estill County 63-14 (W) Playoffs

Nov. 20th Breathitt County 51-33 (W) Playoffs

Nov. 27th Sheldon Clark 28-12 (W) Playoffs

Dec. 5th Paducah Tilghman 11:00am Playoffs (Championship)
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I have a nice childhood memory of Somerset in the state title game. The year was 78 at Eastern's Hanger Field. The Briar Bunnies got absolutely pounded by the Mayfield Cardinals

awesome..
As bad as I hate to say it the Jumpers bring the title to Somerset.

SHS-24
PT-21
Why did your coach bail out on his school and players?
He's still at the school and has the firm support of the players, coaches and parents.
So he just built this team up then grew tired of coaching?
Is this an example of the support he had

"Jay Cobb let his football players down

CJ Editorial
Commonwealth Journal

Somerset — Most high school coaches — the respected ones, to be sure — have their athletes’ best interest at heart.

Most would sacrifice for the good of the young men or women who toil for them on a daily basis.

These coaches are role models. Leaders. They set examples for our young people.

So with that in mind, good riddance to Jay Cobb.

Cobb, the Somerset High School football coach for better than a decade, sold his kids down the road last week when he bailed out on the program less than two weeks before its season opener.

He did it unapol-ogetically. He did it with the arrogance of a self-centered child who didn’t get his way.

So he took his ball and went home.

His letter of resignation pointed out a few weak beefs he had with the Somerset administration — an administration which, quite frankly, has been all-too-kind to Cobb over the years.

But we suspect the real issue that rubbed Cobb the wrong way was money. Sources close to the program claim Cobb left because he lost a few bucks pay. Times are tough, and evidently several employees in the school system were handed what amounted to a pay cut.

In essence, Cobb abandoned his team over a few dollars and cents...
Long story with bad administration decisions.......but everything still turned out the best.....
Tica Wrote:Is this an example of the support he had

"Jay Cobb let his football players down

CJ Editorial
Commonwealth Journal

Somerset — Most high school coaches — the respected ones, to be sure — have their athletes’ best interest at heart.

Most would sacrifice for the good of the young men or women who toil for them on a daily basis.

These coaches are role models. Leaders. They set examples for our young people.

So with that in mind, good riddance to Jay Cobb.

Cobb, the Somerset High School football coach for better than a decade, sold his kids down the road last week when he bailed out on the program less than two weeks before its season opener.

He did it unapol-ogetically. He did it with the arrogance of a self-centered child who didn’t get his way.

So he took his ball and went home.

His letter of resignation pointed out a few weak beefs he had with the Somerset administration — an administration which, quite frankly, has been all-too-kind to Cobb over the years.

But we suspect the real issue that rubbed Cobb the wrong way was money. Sources close to the program claim Cobb left because he lost a few bucks pay. Times are tough, and evidently several employees in the school system were handed what amounted to a pay cut.

In essence, Cobb abandoned his team over a few dollars and cents...

No offense Tica but you really know nothing about the situation and apparently neither did the person that wrote this article. It is obvious what your intentions are with bringing this up again right now but I can assure you it is the last thing on the Somerset players', fans', and coaching staff's minds right now. They are focused on winning a state championship.

What you don't understand and what this writer apparently doesn't realize is that Coach Cobb took this team through a very emotional off season and when the time came for him to make the decision to leave the team he did so with the thoughts that it was the best thing for the program. Maybe now he regrets his decision, maybe not. Bottom line is that if you are trying to stir the pot you better stir a lot harder because this issue is WAY past us.
Stir what up - it's y'alls mess. It's there in black and white in your own newspaper for the world to see. Sounds like there are a few cracks in the concrete.
Tica Wrote:Stir what up - it's y'alls mess. It's there in black and white in your own newspaper for the world to see. Sounds like there are a few cracks in the concrete.

You obviously don't know a thing about this group of kids. This is the most close knit group I've ever been around.
Too bad you guys don't have vintage footage of the last time you was in the state championship. Good Luck Jumpers! Bring the title back to the mountains.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I can't see somerset stopping tilghmans running game. i say pt 24-17
Somerset's got a team. Tilghman's got a dream.

Somerset has everything to lose. Tilghman has nothing to lose.
Tica Wrote:Somerset's got a team. Tilghman's got a dream.

Somerset has everything to lose. Tilghman has nothing to lose.

Both teams have one dream and that's a state championship now who wants it more we'll find out tomorrow.
go tilman, i believe since you knocked off central,you guys can bring home the title,since my pirates cant win it and i am in western ky now,go tilman