Poll: Who would win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
07-08 Paintsville
43.55%
08-09 Shelby Valley
56.45%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07-08 Paintsville vs 08-09 Shelby Valley: Who would win?
the team with the most points at the end of the game my young chaps. simple as that. you cant predict this game.
I believe that Shelby Valley would win in a close one. The difference being Adams in the middle for SV. Not based on offense but defense. Paintsville's guards would not be able to drive the middle and muscle up shots as successful as they did last year. Adams would change a lot of those shots.
goodguy Wrote:SV played Scott Co.? Every poll I've seen Scott Co. is #1

Hard to stay #1 when you lose... Which is why Scott moved up. Elliott was #1 in both polls I think.
I've been reading this thread with amusement. Here's why..

Lots of people think this is the best SV team ever. I don't know---but I know SV is loaded this yr and I honestly hope they do well but if the purpose of this thread is to compare the best SV team ever (this yr?) with the best Paintsville team ever then you can't compare this yrs. SV with last years Paintsville. Last year's Paintsville team was GOOD---but not even close to their best team ever.

Nothing against SV--they are hands down the best team in our region this yr and one of the best in the state. But Paintsville 96 team would have kicked the crap out of them---the 97 and 98 teams could have probably handled them too. The -85-86-87 teams likely would have won as well.

SV is a good basketball program--fine coach, great players, and adoring fans. But recent history has proven that Paintsville consistently produces D1 talent, a KY Hall of Fame coach (BMR), a state championship, the most regional championships ever---all this from a REAL ONE A SCHOOL.

The proof is in the puddin' and till SV wins a state championship this is a USELESS debate.

Best of luck to SV
transplanttiger Wrote:I've been reading this thread with amusement. Here's why..

Lots of people think this is the best SV team ever. I don't know---but I know SV is loaded this yr and I honestly hope they do well but if the purpose of this thread is to compare the best SV team ever (this yr?) with the best Paintsville team ever then you can't compare this yrs. SV with last years Paintsville. Last year's Paintsville team was GOOD---but not even close to their best team ever.

Nothing against SV--they are hands down the best team in our region this yr and one of the best in the state. But Paintsville 96 team would have kicked the crap out of them---the 97 and 98 teams could have probably handled them too. The -85-86-87 teams likely would have won as well.

SV is a good basketball program--fine coach, great players, and adoring fans. But recent history has proven that Paintsville consistently produces D1 talent, a KY Hall of Fame coach (BMR), a state championship, the most regional championships ever---all this from a REAL ONE A SCHOOL.

The proof is in the puddin' and till SV wins a state championship this is a USELESS debate.

First off, you must not have even read the thread title. It clearly states that the comparison is between this year's SV team and last year's Paintsville team. It doesn't say anything about comparing SV's best team ever to Paintsville's best team ever.

You're trying to make a different comparison, that being which school has the greater basketball history. The obvious answer to that is Paintsville. But that wasn't the thread topic.

No one is saying that SV has a greater basketball history than Paintsville. For one thing, SV has only been around for 20 years, and only in the second decade were they able to finally break through and win some regional titles (if they win this year, that will give them 5 in the school's 20 years - not bad). But they still have a lot to go to catch up to Paintsville.

But the thread topic was which of these two teams would win. In a close game, I believe I will go with the 2009 State Champion of the "REAL ONE A SCHOOLS", Shelby Valley.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:But the thread topic was which of these two teams would win. In a close game, I believe I will go with the 2009 State Champion of the "REAL ONE A SCHOOLS", Shelby Valley.

Technically, SV isn't a 1A school even though they played in the tournament.
IRISH4 Wrote:Technically, SV isn't a 1A school even though they played in the tournament.

If you want to put it that way, then technically neither is Paintsville, since the KHSAA does not have a classification system for basketball. 1A, 2A, 3A... they technically don't exist in any sport but football.

What constitutes an "A" school for the purposes of the All-A tourney is whatever criteria the tournament organizers want it to be. By their criteria, SV is as much a 1A school as Paintsville.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:If you want to put it that way, then technically neither is Paintsville, since the KHSAA does not have a classification system for basketball. 1A, 2A, 3A... they technically don't exist in any sport but football.

What constitutes an "A" school for the purposes of the All-A tourney is whatever criteria the tournament organizers want it to be. By their criteria, SV is as much a 1A school as Paintsville.

Well heck then...then the schools with the 6A programs should have their basketball teams in it ...

All A means All A...or at least that was the intention when it began. It's now become a $$$$ making venture and if you have a big fan base you get included too. What is SV in football by the way? 2A or 3A? If the state ever went to classes in basketball (heaven forbid) they would most likely use the same criteria for classification as they do in football
transplanttiger Wrote:Well heck then...then the schools with the 6A programs should have their basketball teams in it ...

All A means All A...or at least that was the intention when it began. It's now become a $$$$ making venture and if you have a big fan base you get included too. What is SV in football by the way? 2A or 3A? If the state ever went to classes in basketball (heaven forbid) they would most likely use the same criteria for classification as they do in football

They are 2A in football. Why does no one mention Sheldon Clark because they played in the All "A" and they are 3A in football? From my understanding, the All "A" invites the 125 smallest schools to the tournament. I may be wrong, but I read that somewhere.
ELISHA OVER landon slone any day of the week. Valley has better size and speed at each position.....i'd say valley by 10 or more
More Cowbell Wrote:If you want to put it that way, then technically neither is Paintsville, since the KHSAA does not have a classification system for basketball. 1A, 2A, 3A... they technically don't exist in any sport but football.

HAHAHA.....I wasn't being negative towards them winning in anway...I was just stating that their enrollment was bigger than most of the other teams that played in that tournament.
IRISH4 Wrote:Technically, SV isn't a 1A school even though they played in the tournament.

Technically they are an "A" according to the Touchstone Energy requirements for All "A" status, "Class “A” schools are those with an enrollment of 425 or less, in grades 10 through 12." Shelby Valley has a TOTAL enrollment of approximately 500 students in grades 9-12 with about 120 freshmen, which placed them well within the limits set by the tournament officials.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:They are 2A in football. Why does no one mention Sheldon Clark because they played in the All "A" and they are 3A in football? From my understanding, the All "A" invites the 125 smallest schools to the tournament. I may be wrong, but I read that somewhere.

Hey I'm fair---I'm against SC being in it too... LOL! I don't now about the 125 smallest schools thing....
transplanttiger Wrote:Hey I'm fair---I'm against SC being in it too... LOL! I don't now about the 125 smallest schools thing....

I'm not sure either, but either way 500 kids is not a big school in my opinion.
trufan Wrote:Technically they are an "A" according to the Touchstone Energy requirements for All "A" status, "Class “A” schools are those with an enrollment of 425 or less, in grades 10 through 12." Shelby Valley has a TOTAL enrollment of approximately 500 students in grades 9-12 with about 120 freshmen, which placed them well within the limits set by the tournament officials.

You just took it the wrong way like someone else....I just responded to that a few posts ago. Not taking anything away from Valley, they are a great club and I'm glad that the 15th region won another title at the state level. I was simply referring to the fact that they don't play 1A football (a true 1A IMO)...however you are correct that they do meet the cutoff for the tournament which has added schools for financial gain (just my opinion). You all need to lighten up a little bit and stop being so defensive though, I never took away any of the accomplishments or said an * needs to be placed by it in the history books.
Valley...by 5...both had good teams..hard to compare...
IRISH4 Wrote:You just took it the wrong way like someone else....I just responded to that a few posts ago. Not taking anything away from Valley, they are a great club and I'm glad that the 15th region won another title at the state level. I was simply referring to the fact that they don't play 1A football (a true 1A IMO)...however you are correct that they do meet the cutoff for the tournament which has added schools for financial gain (just my opinion). You all need to lighten up a little bit and stop being so defensive though, I never took away any of the accomplishments or said an * needs to be placed by it in the history books.

I wasn't trying to be rude or even defensive for that matter, I just stated the criteria that was used for the All "A" basketball tournament. Football class A is based on a different system from the smallest populated schools to the ones with the largest population and they are divided equally, for example the 1st 64 schools make-up class A, the next 64 make up class AA and so forth.
I think anyone who was at this game last year would have to know that SV would win this matchup. Paintsville had SV down bad (which they wasn't clicking like usual anyways) and SV came back and had them beat when they decided to start holding the ball. SV is a lot different team this year, and Paintsville barely sweeped by last year. No way last year's Paintsville team could hang on with this Valley team.
Slone would control the game in my opinion.
SV would take this one by 10
i think valley would win easy...slones good but elisha would make him look bad
Sv easy but 20