Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 07-08 Paintsville vs 08-09 Shelby Valley: Who would win?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I haven't really watched Shelby Valley this year, so who would win?

2007-2008 Paintsville (30-4)
2008-2009 Shelby Valley (27-4)
SV should have won last year and Elisha is a different player. I don't think its close. SV by 10-15.
yeah last year we all know what got them beat in that game
Id take Valley in this one. Justice has improved from last year and SV has too much size for P-ville to deal with.
Valley by 10+.
^ Exactly.

The size of this year's Valley team is the difference between these two teams. I don't think last year's Paintsville team could handle the length of Deven Adams, along with the improvement of Elisha Justice and Ashley Hatfield.
i think last years paintsvilles team would put up a fight. slone was amazing. that would be a good showdown. justice and slone :o
To be honest, even though Paintsville beat Valley last year, I still think Valley was better.
If Jacob Bryant doesn't go down with an injury we win the game last season. Add a 100% improved Elisha along with Adams and the emergence of Cody Varney and I think it equates into a Valley victory. Jake had tons of success against Paintsville inside and with a much bigger lineup they wouldn't be able to hang around.
Like a few have said already, if Jake doesn't get injured, Valley wins last year. You have to look at is this way, last years pre game was a toss up, this Shelby Valley team has knocked off the #1 team in the state and won a state title.
This year's Valley team would beat last year's Paintsville team by 10+.

By the way, anyone have updates on how the Senior boys from Paintsville last year are doing in college?
shelbyvalley02 Wrote:yeah last year we all know what got them beat in that game

in your opinion what got them beat in that game? just curious as I didn't see the game last year.....
Pikeville OT Wrote:in your opinion what got them beat in that game? just curious as I didn't see the game last year.....

In my opinion it was a Senior leader being hurt, a key player fouling out, and a younger player being thrown into the game and turning the ball over.
SV would prlly win this just too much size for Paintsville,but that would be an awesome game to watch lol...
UkFan23 Wrote:SV would prlly win this just too much size for Paintsville,but that would be an awesome game to watch lol...

Definitely would, I'd like to watch this years Elisha and Landon go at it.
Shelby Valley would win in a close game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Definitely would, I'd like to watch this years Elisha and Landon go at it.

I am thirding this. Definitely have loved this matchup had both boys been the same age to judge talent at that level. Senior Landon Slone versus senior Elisha Justice would be absolutely wild to watch. To answer the question, this year's Wildcats could probably take Paintsville.
Everyone here is talking great about Shelby Valley as if they could win state. Paintsville did pretty good at the state tournament, maybe someone should start a thread about how far Shelby Valley can go. Yet, it's probably too early to start that thread. Wait until the Regional Tournament is over.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Everyone here is talking great about Shelby Valley as if they could win state. Paintsville did pretty good at the state tournament, maybe someone should start a thread about how far Shelby Valley can go. Yet, it's probably too early to start that thread. Wait until the Regional Tournament is over.

Well they are third and have a win over the #1 team in the state... I think that makes them contenders at least.
IMO, The Tigers still win.

Everyone is saying, Valley would have won if Bryant would have been playing. You don't know that. But, really thats an excuse, no pun intended, it is. With that said this matchup would also take Bryant and Jonah Justice out of the equation. I know Valley added Devin, and that will always help inside. But Devin would have trouble keeping up with the pace of this dream matchup, will both scoring IMO, 90+.
uhavenoidea Wrote:IMO, The Tigers still win.

Everyone is saying, Valley would have won if Bryant would have been playing. You don't know that. But, really thats an excuse, no pun intended, it is. With that said this matchup would also take Bryant and Jonah Justice out of the equation. I know Valley added Devin, and that will always help inside. But Devin would have trouble keeping up with the pace of this dream matchup, will both scoring IMO, 90+.

Elisha is so much improved.. No way anyone in the Tiger lineup comes close to holding him down. He isn't the same player and all of the other kids have improved also. When Jake went down Valley had the lead and all the momentum. It was over. We are a much better team than we were last season. I watched essentially every game in both seasons.
InstantOffense Wrote:Elisha is so much improved.. No way anyone in the Tiger lineup comes close to holding him down. He isn't the same player and all of the other kids have improved also. When Jake went down Valley had the lead and all the momentum. It was over. We are a much better team than we were last season. I watched essentially every game in both seasons.

I see what your saying, But just because SV had the momentum, doesnt mean it was over. Mostly players do improve from season to season. The Tigers wouldn't play man, IMO. Honestly though, you all really can't say Valley would have one if Bryant would have been playing because you never know, no one does. I mean I'm sure it would make any Valley fan feel better thinking that, but the regional champ trophy from last season is still on show at Paintsville. Not making fun or disrespecting Valley in anyway, its just the truth. Last season, Paintsville was the better team, they beat Valley and won the Regional Title and the ALL A one as well. I mean facts are facts. This matchup is never gonna happen, so lets just not compare the two. Compare the two teams from last year.:Thumbs:
uhavenoidea Wrote:I see what your saying, But just because SV had the momentum, doesnt mean it was over. Mostly players do improve from season to season. The Tigers wouldn't play man, IMO. Honestly though, you all really can't say Valley would have one if Bryant would have been playing because you never know, no one does. I mean I'm sure it would make any Valley fan feel better thinking that, but the regional champ trophy from last season is still on show at Paintsville. Not making fun or disrespecting Valley in anyway, its just the truth. Last season, Paintsville was the better team, they beat Valley and won the Regional Title and the ALL A one as well. I mean facts are facts. This matchup is never gonna happen, so lets just not compare the two. Compare the two teams from last year.:Thumbs:

We're trying to compare the teams mentioned, but you're saying that a team who won a state championship couldn't beat a team who took 2 overtimes, an injury, and a foul out, to beat their previous team. That doesn't make sense, Valley fans don't like to think this years team is better than lasts because of how good Jake and Jonah were, but this years team is better, and if Paintsville last year could only beat Valley with two key players out, it's VERY hard to think that same Paintsville team could be an improved team.
PC_You_Know Wrote:We're trying to compare the teams mentioned, but you're saying that a team who won a state championship couldn't beat a team who took 2 overtimes, an injury, and a foul out, to beat their previous team. That doesn't make sense, Valley fans don't like to think this years team is better than lasts because of how good Jake and Jonah were, but this years team is better, and if Paintsville last year could only beat Valley with two key players out, it's VERY hard to think that same Paintsville team could be an improved team.

Fouling out happens, its apart of every game. Painstville made it to the ALL A semi-finals, being beaten by Scotty Hopson(Tennessee starter, I think) and eventual champion UHA. They also made it to the Elite 8 in State, after being beat by Holmes. Holmes, I would venture to say is improved from last year and they were the state runner-up. Valley should and more than likely will win the 15th. Who is ther opening round game for the 15th, what region?
uhavenoidea Wrote:Fouling out happens, its apart of every game. Painstville made it to the ALL A semi-finals, being beaten by Scotty Hopson(Tennessee starter, I think) and eventual champion UHA. They also made it to the Elite 8 in State, after being beating by Holmes. Holmes, I would venture to say is improved from last year and they were the state runner-up. Valley should and more than likely will win the 15th. Who is ther opening round game for the 15th, what region?

10th, who includes I think Mason, Clark and another contender. Elliott beat Mason by double digits. I think Valley could handle Mason.
One more thing to think about is the absence of post presence Taylor Newsome who was out with injury. He is a very important piece of the puzzle and would hve certainly made life harder on Shane Grimm down low. Honestly this team is much better than last years Paintsville team IMO. I hadn't even thought about Taylor being out. I have alot of respect for the Paintsville seniors from last year they were great kids with great attitudes and loads of heart. I just don't think they could match up with Valley on the inside.
InstantOffense Wrote:One more thing to think about is the absence of post presence Taylor Newsome who was out with injury. He is a very important piece of the puzzle and would hve certainly made life harder on Shane Grimm down low. Honestly this team is much better than last years Paintsville team IMO. I hadn't even thought about Taylor being out. I have alot of respect for the Paintsville seniors from last year they were great kids with great attitudes and loads of heart. I just don't think they could match up with Valley on the inside.

The improvement of Curby's game would also be a big factor if these two could play. But like you said, Taylor was out, going into overtime of the Paintsville game, that's 3 players out for Valley, Newsome, Bryant, and Hatfield. Valley could have won that game last year at full strength.
Taylor was a preseason pick for a top 10 player in the 15th region by most everybody's opinion.
PC_You_Know Wrote:10th, who includes I think Mason, Clark and another contender. Elliott beat Mason by double digits. I think Valley could handle Mason.

Yeah I think Valley could handle them to. What about a second round matchup?
I'd also like to just give a "LOL" to some people on this site who said Valley wouldn't have enough "basketballs" to go around on this team. How has that theory worked out for you?
uhavenoidea Wrote:Yeah I think Valley could handle them to. What about a second round matchup?

Possible Elliott rematch. That game could produce a bigger crowd than the state champ. game.
Pages: 1 2 3