Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of the Game Sportsmanship
More Cowbell Wrote:I think if a coach wants to leave his starters in the whole game, that's his prerogative. If the other team doesn't like it, they can do something about it. I won't call the coach classless for leaving them in.

But I will call it dumb. Leaving the starters in a game that is already decided leaves open the possibility of an injury to a key player. This in turn could sabotage the rest of the season. A coach would look pretty silly if he sacrificed the rest of the season just so his starters could tack on some more points.

Plus, this is primo time to get some young players into a real game and earn experience that can't be simulated on the practice field. This experience for the younger players will eventually pay off later in the year and next season.

Good point
I like putting the young kids in to let them get use to the situation and the playing atmosphere....But I do not believe in running the score up. Teams that do that have zero class.
I also think that the younger players need the experience.
TAKE A KNEE! There are reasons for Freshman and Junior Varsity games.
If your up by that much give your starters a break and give your back-ups a chance to play to get some experience and playing time. cause if you leave your starters in one of them could get hurt and be out for the rest of the season.
I would never take a knee until around the minute mark. Definetly play younger players and get them experience, and don't limit the playbook. I mean don't throw for the endzone every play, but you can still run your usual offense with the younger boys.

Ive always thought it would be a good idea to start jv/frosh mixed with varsity players from the get go against teams you know it will be ugly against. Only on the away games, so your talking maybe 1 or 2 games a year, for Russell anyways. Let those players get some real Varsity xp, eventhough it may not be top notch competition. Or sub them in very early but not as a group. Just 2 or 3 players here and there, then once the score is out of hand sub as a group.

BTW if a team is trying to knee it and end the game, and the opposing coach calls a timeout and tries to get the ball back, you better believe my team would be throwing for the endzone on the next couple of plays.
ditto.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I'm sorry but I'm old school on this issue. If you can score a 100, do it. They should have prepared better. Don't schedule us if you can't compete with us.. Don't go away mad, just go away.. Just my opinion.
Cant Tell Your Team To "go Easy"....that Is When They Get Injured..
win with class never try to embarrass kids good coaches know how to keep the score from getting close and still not belittling the other team look at belfry dominates over half there games every year but never runs the score up