Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: End of the Game Sportsmanship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is everyones "opinion" on how a coach should end a game when your up by a couple of scores. Should you take a knee or let your freshman score?
I think you should take a knee. Sometimes though, you want to punch it in cause the other coach did something suspect earlier in the game. Just wondering?
The only problem with punching one in to punish the coach is that you are really not. The people you are bringing pain and embarrassment to are high school CHILDREN. You should never EVER run up the score.
If You Need To Prove A Point Then Punch It In. If Not Keep The Ball On The Ground And Put In Younger Or Lesser Players And Let Them Play. Or Take A Knee If Need Be.
Yogibear Wrote:The only problem with punching one in to punish the coach is that you are really not. The people you are bringing pain and embarrassment to are high school CHILDREN. You should never EVER run up the score.
I agree. Although, I said "you want to"It doesn't mean that I would. If I was a head coach, I would try and be as fair as I could be. It does, however, cross your mind. That was a good point.
:Clap:
Play football. It is the other Coaches job to stop you. Don't go out of the way to score, but run basic football plays your young kids deserve a chance to play and play full speed.
I agree that you play until the final buzzer sounds, but never hurry to the line to run an extra play. If you are way ahead, then let the time run out. Above all, win and lose with class.
Play the younger kids they need the experience. Dont throw the ball, at least have the class to keep the clock going.
If younger kids score that is fine. Get them some experience and run your offense in a game situation. But if one team pulls its starters and is behind. Then the other teams leaves the starters in to score. Well, thats just bush league.
No, no no.... It's not running up the score.... Let the kids play..... It's the other teams defense job to stop the offense.... It's the other team not doing their job.... Yes, put in the freshmen and let them get some PT.... This will in turn, give the defense, or team who is upset about the score getting ran up, a chance to get some practice.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:No, no no.... It's not running up the score.... Let the kids play..... It's the other teams defense job to stop the offense.... It's the other team not doing their job.... Yes, put in the freshmen and let them get some PT.... This will in turn, give the defense, or team who is upset about the score getting ran up, a chance to get some practice.

Like you said. Put in the younger players and almost nobody would consider that running up the score.
What if the Freshman squad continues to score and drive the ball down their opponents throat? Is this still running up the score? Should they just take a knee? Or should they step aside and let the other team score so that no one's feelings get hurt? It's football people.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:What if the Freshman squad continues to score and drive the ball down their opponents throat? Is this still running up the score? Should they just take a knee? Or should they step aside and let the other team score so that no one's feelings get hurt? It's football people.
No.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:What if the Freshman squad continues to score and drive the ball down their opponents throat? Is this still running up the score? Should they just take a knee? Or should they step aside and let the other team score so that no one's feelings get hurt? It's football people.

No one said it was running up the score if you put your freshmen in and they continued to score. The issue that is being discussed is leaving your starters in till the end of the game when the lead is very comfortable.
Let me just say one thing, St. Thomas Moore (The Canadians) didn't have this against central 2 weeks ago. I saw kicks in the pile. It was ridiculous. The officiating should have caught this as well.
No, the issue being discussed is in the first post of this thread. "Should you take a knee or let your freshman score?". That's what this thread is about and that's what my reply is based on.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:No, the issue being discussed is in the first post of this thread. "Should you take a knee or let your freshman score?". That's what this thread is about and that's what my reply is based on.

My apologies. I must have been thinking of another discussion.

I think that if the freshmen are in and continue to score then so be it.
Midee1 Wrote:My apologies. I must have been thinking of another discussion.

I think that if the freshmen are in and continue to score then so be it.

Don't apologize. You read the thread correctly.

Reread the posts. If you put subs in then run your offense. Just don't run it up with your starters after another has already pulled theirs.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:No, the issue being discussed is in the first post of this thread. "Should you take a knee or let your freshman score?". That's what this thread is about and that's what my reply is based on.

No. Thats one persons take. The situation is elaborated on later in the thread. Maybe you should read them more carefully.
And maybe you should read what the thread topic was started on. That was what my reply was based on. Once again.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:And maybe you should read what the thread topic was started on. That was what my reply was based on. Once again.

And as he stated the course of the thread was changed to encompass what I was talking about. Just because a thread topic was started does not mean other people cannot have a differing opinion.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:And maybe you should read what the thread topic was started on. That was what my reply was based on. Once again.

The title of the thread is "End of the Game Sportsmanship".

English 101.
Midee1 Wrote:No one said it was running up the score if you put your freshmen in and they continued to score. The issue that is being discussed is leaving your starters in till the end of the game when the lead is very comfortable.

Don't believe that. People DO say it's "running up the score", even if it's younger players doing it.

Exactly that happened to Prestonsburg a few years ago vs. Betsy Layne. The Freshman team scored 2 times toward game end (after the JV's had been scoring multiple times earlier). The final was 80-6 (or something to that effect).
Midee1 Wrote:And as he stated the course of the thread was changed to encompass what I was talking about. Just because a thread topic was started does not mean other people cannot have a differing opinion.

Then why has my opinion been questioned so much? I gave my opinion on what the BEGINNING of this thread was based on. And I thought it was a very justified opinion.

Mr. Sandwich Wrote:Then why has my opinion been questioned so much? I gave my opinion on what the BEGINNING of this thread was based on. And I thought it was a very justified opinion.

No one is questioning your opinion. People are questioning the corrections made of others' posts because in your eyes they did not go with the discussion.
oneijoe Wrote:Don't believe that. People DO say it's "running up the score", even if it's younger players doing it.

Exactly that happened to Prestonsburg a few years ago vs. Betsy Layne. The Freshman team scored 2 times toward game end (after the JV's had been scoring multiple times earlier). The final was 80-6 (or something to that effect).

Most people wouldn't consider that running up the score. If its your subs and they score than thats football. As long as your not trying to show up the other team just by putting as many on the board as you can.

Of course some would. If you were on the other side of that beating I'm sure some were upset.
the coach doesnt run up the score, the players do..its different if a coach was up by 4 touchdowns with 3:00 to go in the 4th and he ran like a snake in the grass or a statue of liberty, but if freshmen get in the game and want to enjoy some varsity time, what is the coach supposed to say? lay down boys?
I think if a coach wants to leave his starters in the whole game, that's his prerogative. If the other team doesn't like it, they can do something about it. I won't call the coach classless for leaving them in.

But I will call it dumb. Leaving the starters in a game that is already decided leaves open the possibility of an injury to a key player. This in turn could sabotage the rest of the season. A coach would look pretty silly if he sacrificed the rest of the season just so his starters could tack on some more points.

Plus, this is primo time to get some young players into a real game and earn experience that can't be simulated on the practice field. This experience for the younger players will eventually pay off later in the year and next season.
More Cowbell Wrote:I think if a coach wants to leave his starters in the whole game, that's his prerogative. If the other team doesn't like it, they can do something about it. I won't call the coach classless for leaving them in.

But I will call it dumb. Leaving the starters in a game that is already decided leaves open the possibility of an injury to a key player. This in turn could sabotage the rest of the season. A coach would look pretty silly if he sacrificed the rest of the season just so his starters could tack on some more points.

Plus, this is primo time to get some young players into a real game and earn experience that can't be simulated on the practice field. This experience for the younger players will eventually pay off later in the year and next season.
I would call it classless, but you are right it's also very dumb.
As far as scoring late. It really depends on the situation and the score. If it's 60 or 70-0 already and your freshman have been playing for most of the second half then yeah. But the running clock honestly keeps it from getting that bad when teams try to avoid it.
I think with freshman you should keep it simple and do nothing fancy just basics. If you do that then they are nothing wrong with it. Same way in football, basketball, baseball, or whatever sport. You can't tell a kid to fail or not try hard.
I think the only time you should take a knee is when the game is close... remember Big Ben's TD-saving tackle after Bettis' fumble?
Richlands has had games where the reserves let the opponent get close late and the starters had to come back in for the last series for the knell-downs.
Even if it's 63-0, you put in the last guys on the bench and let them go at it.
We were playing Morgan a few weeks ago and we had them 49 - 6. Coach pulled "all" of the starters. They still had several starters in the game. A couple of times they looked as if they weren't even going for the ball but just trying to tee off on some of our JV players. Our JV still managed to drive down to the 3 yd line on them. With the clock down to about 16 sec, coach yelled take a knee. Our JV tried to get a play off. I don't know if they heard him or not. They did the same thing last yr. We had them 32 - 0 at the start of the 4th. Their "starting" QB ran for 3 TDs on "all" of our JV. That in my honest opinion is "Bad Sportsmanship". We won but it looked, on paper, like it was a closer game than it was.
Pages: 1 2