Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Weak Is The 58th District?
In 2004-2005 the records were similar but the 60th district didn't stand out with records, but sent Belfry to the 15th Region Championship leaving the 58th out again since 2001.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:No, I'm not saying that exactly because the 60th hasn't had an amazing team for a while either, but they have been a bit more competitive recently. Last season the 60th had.

Belfry who's Region record was 15-4
Phelps - Region record 9-7
Pike Central - Region record 11-11
Exclude Piarist for obvious reasons, much like David in the 59th...

The 58th last year had..
Allen Central - region record 18-5
Betsy Layne - 8-14
Prestonsburg - 8-12
South Floyd - 3-13

See the difference?

The year before that the 60th district had better region records as well. It's all about competition within the region, and the numbers the last few years won't lie to you. The 58th has competed the least for the last few years.

that was just last year...you said several years...records smeckords...what have they actually won in the region in last past several years. No regions, No All-A's, etc.
uhavenoidea Wrote:that was just last year...you said several years...records smeckords...what have they actually won in the region in last past several years. No regions, No All-A's, etc.

Keep reading on down. They have had more teams that have been serious contenders for the 15th Region than the 58th. Belfry had been on a roll over the last couple of years and go back and look at Pike Central who always seemed to be a more serious threat.

I'll be back on later to show records between the districts. (58 vs. 60) and so on. And maybe then you'll see.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Keep reading on down. They have had more teams that have been serious contenders for the 15th Region than the 58th. Belfry had been on a roll over the last couple of years and go back and look at Pike Central who always seemed to be a more serious threat.

I'll be back on later to show records between the districts. (58 vs. 60) and so on. And maybe then you'll see.

I DON'T CARE about records. I care about banners in the rafters or on the walls. Ask anyone they dont say what was so and so's record that year. They ask who won what that year and so on.
uhavenoidea Wrote:I DON'T CARE about records. I care about banners in the rafters or on the walls. Ask anyone they dont say what was so and so's record that year. They ask who won what that year and so on.

Smile Alright. Since that dispelled any argument you had I won't to that. You were the one bragging on "Conference Titles" which as far as I know don't exist. In your South Floyd post you also posted when they were Runner Up, so which is it? Does it matter or not? Because if Runner Up banners count then the 58th has the least since 2001 in the overall picture of the 15th Region tournament.

Tell me, truthfully. Since 2001 (when the 58th was good) when has that district had a team that the rest of the region though could win it all? Maybe South Floyd in 2002, but most knew they would falter because of relying on the 3 ball so much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Smile Alright. Since that dispelled any argument you had I won't to that. You were the one bragging on "Conference Titles" which as far as I know don't exist. In your South Floyd post you also posted when they were Runner Up, so which is it? Does it matter or not? Because if Runner Up banners count then the 58th has the least since 2001 in the overall picture of the 15th Region tournament.

Tell me, truthfully. Since 2001 (when the 58th was good) when has that district had a team that the rest of the region though could win it all? Maybe South Floyd in 2002, but most knew they would falter because of relying on the 3 ball so much.

Well you dont know much, Conference titles do exist. And where did I say anything about a runner-up being on a banner. How many regional titles has the 60th had since 2000 or for that matter since phelps plays in the ALL A, which SF beat on rout 2 their back to back titles, both in the first round? The 59th have took most of the banners, but at least the 58th(SF) has one(3 ALL A's which they beat phelps in each tour. i do believe) reg. title to the 60th's NONE!!!
uhavenoidea Wrote:Well you dont know much, Conference titles do exist. And where did I say anything about a runner-up being on a banner. How many regional titles has the 60th had since 2000 or for that matter since phelps plays in the ALL A, which SF beat on rout 2 their back to back titles, both in the first round? The 59th have took most of the banners, but at least the 58th(SF) has one(3 ALL A's which they beat phelps in each tour. i do believe) reg. title to the 60th's NONE!!!
Good point....
In the 58th District/Floyd County School- we do play for "conference titles". Each of the 4 schools plays each other twice. Once at home and once away. This is how the district tournmanet seeding is determined. We also name an "all conference team"; based on regular season play. As well as an "all district team"; based on play during the district tourney.
gotcha2 Wrote:In the 58th District/Floyd County School- we do play for "conference titles". Each of the 4 schools plays each other twice. Once at home and once away. This is how the district tournmanet seeding is determined. We also name an "all conference team"; based on regular season play. As well as an "all district team"; based on play during the district tourney.

Exactly. Every district in the region does all this I think.
[INDENT]
uhavenoidea Wrote:Exactly. Every district in the region does all this I think.
Yea thats what i thought....
[/INDENT]
uhavenoidea Wrote:Exactly. Every district in the region does all this I think.
No, not all districts has a all conference team. They do have a all district team though.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:No, not all districts has a all conference team. They do have a all district team though.

Well i did say i think, because i wasnt for certain. Yeah, I knew that every district had an all-district team though.
alfus21 Wrote:Smile Alright. Since that dispelled any argument you had I won't to that. You were the one bragging on "Conference Titles" which as far as I know don't exist. In your South Floyd post you also posted when they were Runner Up, so which is it? Does it matter or not? Because if Runner Up banners count then the 58th has the least since 2001 in the overall picture of the 15th Region tournament.

As bad as I hate too --- I tend to agree with Alfus (which I remember from the old bluegrassprep days!) --- and I never agreed with him then, & thought he was [B][U]extremely[/U][/B] bias towards Shelby Valley. But since 2001 the 58th hasn't had a serious regional contender besides SF in 02. Outside the 58th Conference titles don't mean a thing! The fact of the matter is the 58th hasn't had a serious regional tournament contender since 01 & 02. However, I still don't agree it has been the weakest district in the 15th year in & year out since then.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:As bad as I hate too --- I tend to agree with Alfus (which I remember from the old bluegrassprep days!) --- and I never agreed with him then, & thought he was [B][U]extremely[/U][/B] bias towards Shelby Valley. But since 2001 the 58th hasn't had a serious regional contender besides SF in 02. Outside the 58th Conference titles don't mean a thing! The fact of the matter is the 58th hasn't had a serious regional tournament contender since 01 & 02. However, I still don't agree it has been the weakest district in the 15th year in & year out since then.

Thanks for backing me (in a way). I guess the debate between the 58th and 60th is a matter of opinion. The main thing backing me the last couple of years from the 60th was Belfry but I guess it doesn't truly matter.

Fact is both are pretty weak in their own right. And it's not good to even exist in that argument imo.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
From the looks of tonights finals in the district it shows that Allen Central isn't atop the 15th region either, losing to Betsy Layne by 5.
Wow i didnt know BL was so terrible that if you lose to them that means your not a top team anymore. Yes the 58th is down but i think people are overlooking the fact that BL lost two years in a row in the regional tournament to the eventual champs. Both of those games were close.
the 58th region has been down for several years now but they are on the way back up, dont they have to be they cant get no worse as far as competing for regional titles sf was the last and that was in 200 1 before that ac won in 94 i think it was, i believe they will be comepeting in the region in 2 or 3 years thats just my opinion
Thorn67 Wrote:Wow i didnt know BL was so terrible that if you lose to them that means your not a top team anymore. Yes the 58th is down but i think people are overlooking the fact that BL lost two years in a row in the regional tournament to the eventual champs. Both of those games were close.
I agree 100%, and those games could have just as easily went in Betsy Layne's favor in 06 & 07, as it did for Johnson Central and Shelby Valley.
I have never heard of anything called a "conference title" either. I know the 59th doesn't do anything like that. Either way, conference titles don't say anything about how strong the 58th district is, since one team from the district will win it every year.

As for which has been the strongest district, I would have to rank them this way:

1) 59th - 5 of last 6 regional champs and 2 runners-up
2) 57th - Paintsville always one of best in region, JC won title in 05
3) 60th - Belfry, Central have their moments
4) 58th - no strong team since SF beat AC for region in 01
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I have never heard of anything called a "conference title" either. I know the 59th doesn't do anything like that. Either way, conference titles don't say anything about how strong the 58th district is, since one team from the district will win it every year.

As for which has been the strongest district, I would have to rank them this way:

I agree with everything you posted :thumpsup:
More Cowbell Wrote:I have never heard of anything called a "conference title" either. I know the 59th doesn't do anything like that. Either way, conference titles don't say anything about how strong the 58th district is, since one team from the district will win it every year.

I agree
i agre with above 58th weak as water. needs to hire new coaches from the tough teams in Loouueeysvill maybe uh.58:igiveup: 59:letsparty 60:confused:
Ranking the teams as of right now from top to bottom in the 58th...

Allen Central
Betsy Layne
Prestonsburg
South Floyd

Cannot see how AC lost to Betsy Layne, because there are a very good team. NO offense to BL.