Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How Weak Is The 58th District?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Betsy Layne got creamed by Paintsville, and South Floyd got creamed by Johnson Central tonight. Allen Central has been impressive so far and Prestonsburg doesn't play till Friday, so it still leaves me questioning how good the 58th really is?
may be the weakest in the region this -- not so typically.
Yeah, it's usually the weakest in the region since South Floyd has been so bad the last few years. Back in 2001 South Floyd and Allen Central made it a really tough region.
alfus21 Wrote:Yeah, it's usually the weakest in the region since South Floyd has been so bad the last few years. Back in 2001 South Floyd and Allen Central made it a really tough region.

SF has been good every yr. except for last season...
You got that right, some intense battles between those two. Although its wayy early in the season AC is the favorite, haven't seen P-burg play yet but we will find out how they stand come Friday. I do agree though it is the weakest in the 15th by far.

alfus21 Wrote:Yeah, it's usually the weakest in the region since South Floyd has been so bad the last few years. Back in 2001 South Floyd and Allen Central made it a really tough region.
uhavenoidea Wrote:SF has been good every yr. except 4 last season...

Last season 4-24
2005-2006 14-15
2004-2005 16-15
2003-2004 18-11
2002-2003 18-11
2001-2002 21-10
2000-2001 21-11

They've been on a downward slope since around 2001-2002. Even then those are a lot of 10 loss seasons. I won't say they haven't been good in a long time but going back to 2004 they haven't been good every year. Not by most standards anyways.
Yea its pretty weak there is no doubt in that....to me ac has impressed me the most since they lost most of the offense last year...pburg is overated to me....its ac district to win....
alfus21 Wrote:Last season 4-24
2005-2006 14-15
2004-2005 16-15
2003-2004 18-11
2002-2003 18-11
2001-2002 21-10
2000-2001 21-11

They've been on a downward slope since around 2001-2002. Even then those are a lot of 10 loss seasons. I won't say they haven't been good in a long time but going back to 2004 they haven't been good every year. Not by most standards anyways.

yes those records are true
1999-2000 26-5 (highest scoring team in the state that yr.)
Records dont mean anything, SF plays a hard schedule almost every yr.
2000-all a champs,dist. champs, conf. champs(undefeated)
2001-dist. champs,region champs
2002-dist. champs, conf. champs, wymt champs, all a r-up
2003-conf. champs(undefeated), dist. champs
2004-conf. champs(undefeated), all-a r-up
2005-dist.champs, all-a champs
2006-all a champs
5 dist. titles, 4 conf. titles, 3 All a titles, Wymt champs, region champs
So i would have 2 say thats pretty good...i mean i guessRolleyes
I agree with uhavenoidea on this one...thats pretty good considering sf has only been around 15 or so years...
LIPS Wrote:I agree with uhavenoidea on this one...thats pretty good considering sf has only been around 15 or so years...

well thank you there LIPS...the schools doors opened in 1994 i think
[INDENT]
uhavenoidea Wrote:well thank you there LIPS...the schools doors opened in 1994 i think
No problem there....i am a die hard raiders fan and have been for awhile....
[/INDENT]
LIPS Wrote:Yea its pretty weak there is no doubt in that....to me ac has impressed me the most since they lost most of the offense last year...pburg is overrated to me....its ac district to win....

Who is overrating them? I put them in the bottom half of my preseason 15th rankings.
[INDENT]
blackcat_student Wrote:Who is overrating them? I put them in the bottom half of my preseason 15th rankings.
Nobody is....to me i think they are not that good this year....no one said anything about you or other people having them ranked high....
[/INDENT]
LIPS Wrote:[INDENT]Nobody is....to me i think they are not that good this year....no one said anything about you or other people having them ranked high....[/INDENT]

No offense to you or anything but, I still don't know how a team can be overrated when nobody expects a whole lot out of them. In order for a team to be overrated they have to be expected to have a pretty good season.

But I understand what your saying.
blackcat_student Wrote:No offense to you or anything but, I still don't know how a team can be overrated when nobody expects a whole lot out of them. In order for a team to be overrated they have to be expected to have a pretty good season.

Good Point
[INDENT]
blackcat_student Wrote:No offense to you or anything but, I still don't know how a team can be overrated when nobody expects a whole lot out of them. In order for a team to be overrated they have to be expected to have a pretty good season.

Im not saying anything towards you or anyone on bluegrassrivals....before the season started pburg was projected to just run through the 58th and all im saying is i dont think thats gonna happen
[/INDENT]
LIPS Wrote:[INDENT]
Im not saying anything towards you or anyone on bluegrassrivals....before the season started pburg was projected to just run through the 58th and all im saying is i dont think thats gonna happen
[/INDENT]

I thought AC had been the preseason faviorte in the district?
LIPS Wrote:[INDENT]Im not saying anything towards you or anyone on bluegrassrivals....before the season started pburg was projected to just run through the 58th and all im saying is i dont think thats gonna happen[/INDENT]

And neither do I.

Guys and Gals, this isn't ICQ or Messenger so please try to use correct Grammar, and Spelling.
[INDENT]
Cat Fan Wrote:I thought AC had been the preseason faviorte in the district?
No thats why ac is such a surpise this year considering they lost all of there offense last year...it was supposed to be pburg and bl year...but as we see its not gonna turn out like that...
[/INDENT]
No thats why ac is such a surpise this year considering they lost all of there offense last year...it was supposed to be pburg and bl year...but as we see its not gonna turn out like that...
[/INDENT]

Well according to Cats Pause, which is a PRE SEASON book that comes out every year and ranks each region. AC was either 4 or 5 and BL was around 7. Pburg was 9 i think. So going by that AC was the faviorte, but again you do live in a different world than everyone else on here lol.
[INDENT]
Cat Fan Wrote:Well according to Cats Pause, which is a PRE SEASON book that comes out every year and ranks each region. AC was either 4 or 5 and BL was around 7. Pburg was 9 i think. So going by that AC was the faviorte, but again you do live in a different world than everyone else on here lol.
How is that????and there is no way ac is ranked 4 for the region going into this year....you must have been looking at last year's book my friend...
[/INDENT]
uhavenoidea Wrote:yes those records are true
1999-2000 26-5 (highest scoring team in the state that yr.)
Records dont mean anything, SF plays a hard schedule almost every yr.
2000-all a champs,dist. champs, conf. champs(undefeated)
2001-dist. champs,region champs
2002-dist. champs, conf. champs, wymt champs, all a r-up
2003-conf. champs(undefeated), dist. champs
2004-conf. champs(undefeated), all-a r-up
2005-dist.champs, all-a champs
2006-all a champs
5 dist. titles, 4 conf. titles, 3 All a titles, Wymt champs, region champs
So i would have 2 say thats pretty good...i mean i guessRolleyes

Smile What in the world are conference champions?

The whole argument here is that the 58th year in and year out is the weakest. Nobody cares if South Floyd has won the worst district in the region 5 times in that time. I said they had been on a downward trend, and they are.

I give credit for the All A champs, and the one region championship but honestly they haven't been a true threat to win the actual 15th region in quite some time, since the 2000-2001 season. From there on out Paintsville and Shelby Valley have competed for the most part for the title, while East Ridge (another 59th district team) won it in between Shelby Valley's 4 titles since 02.

I won't argue anymore about South Floyd, but face it. The 58th district hasn't had a team truly compete for an actual region title in several years.
How is that????and there is no way ac is ranked 4 for the region going into this year....you must have been looking at last year's book my friend...
[/INDENT]

This is pointless to argue about, but if you can afford it, go buy a copy of Cats Pause and see for yourself. I didn't write it bud, only read so don't jump onto me.
Yes Allen Central was ranked #4 in the preseason rankings.
alfus21 Wrote:Smile What in the world are conference champions?

The whole argument here is that the 58th year in and year out is the weakest. Nobody cares if South Floyd has won the worst district in the region 5 times in that time. I said they had been on a downward trend, and they are.

I give credit for the All A champs, and the one region championship but honestly they haven't been a true threat to win the actual 15th region in quite some time, since the 2000-2001 season. From there on out Paintsville and Shelby Valley have competed for the most part for the title, while East Ridge (another 59th district team) won it in between Shelby Valley's 4 titles since 02.

I won't argue anymore about South Floyd, but face it. The 58th district hasn't had a team truly compete for an actual region title in several years.

Conference champs is when u win the most regular season games in district play.

Worst District those five times...2001(it was SF vs. AC in the region finals)

In 2001 SF wasnt even expected to win it.
In 2000 they was the favorite going into the tourney but was upset on a buzzer beater.
In 2002, lost in region semi's after having a 23 pt. Halftime lead against paintsville, again by a buzzer beater.

I agree that SV has done well, but when was the last time paintsville was in the region semi's or finals(2002 and 2003), and wat about before that...So wat has paintsville done in the past few yrs. East Ridge won it one time and hasnt even been out of the first round or even made it to the region tour. since 2004.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Conference champs is when u win the most regular season games in district play.

Worst District those five times...2001(it was SF vs. AC in the region finals)

In 2001 SF wasnt even expected to win it.
In 2000 they was the favorite going into the tourney but was upset on a buzzer beater.
In 2002, lost in region semi's after having a 23 pt. Halftime lead against paintsville, again by a buzzer beater.

I agree that SV has done well, but when was the last time paintsville was in the region semi's or finals(2002 and 2003), and wat about before that...So wat has paintsville done in the past few yrs. East Ridge won it one time and hasnt even been out of the first round or even made it to the region tour. since 2004.

You're missing out on what I'm saying. I've said twice, that the 58th district hasn't had a team compete for region since 2001. It doesn't matter before that if they were favored, or if they had a lead for a game after that. The 58th is weak, the weakest in the 15th. It has been for several years now, and there should be no disputing that fact.

By the way, you're the first person I've ever heard take credit for "Conference Champs"-I didn't know that was worth bragging over.

The 59th district has won 5 of the last 6. The 58th hasn't even been on the radar to win it.

Keep bragging over district and "conference championships". This whole thread is about competing in the 15th.
[INDENT]
alfus21 Wrote:Yes Allen Central was ranked #4 in the preseason rankings.
Did not know that..
[/INDENT]
alfus21 Wrote:You're missing out on what I'm saying. I've said twice, that the 58th district hasn't had a team compete for region since 2001. It doesn't matter before that if they were favored, or if they had a lead for a game after that. The 58th is weak, the weakest in the 15th. It has been for several years now, and there should be no disputing that fact.

By the way, you're the first person I've ever heard take credit for "Conference Champs"-I didn't know that was worth bragging over.

The 59th district has won 5 of the last 6. The 58th hasn't even been on the radar to win it.

Keep bragging over district and "conference championships". This whole thread is about competing in the 15th.

Im not saying the 59th isnt the best. IMO the 60th is and has been the weakest 4 some time now. So I guess you make the rule now that if your not in the champ. game your not competing right?
Oh and i wasnt bragging by any means, i was proving a point about the SF program, and that is that they have done well. and actually the thread is about the weakness of the 58th, which is not the weakest.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Im not saying the 59th isnt the best. IMO the 60th is and has been the weakest 4 some time now. So I guess you make the rule now that if your not in the champ. game your not competing right?

No, I'm not saying that exactly because the 60th hasn't had an amazing team for a while either, but they have been a bit more competitive recently. Last season the 60th had.

Belfry who's Region record was 15-4
Phelps - Region record 9-7
Pike Central - Region record 11-11
Exclude Piarist for obvious reasons, much like David in the 59th...

The 58th last year had..
Allen Central - region record 18-5
Betsy Layne - 8-14
Prestonsburg - 8-12
South Floyd - 3-13

See the difference?

The year before that the 60th district had better region records as well. It's all about competition within the region, and the numbers the last few years won't lie to you. The 58th has competed the least for the last few years.
2005-2006
60th District Teams - Region Records
Belfry - 13-5
Pike Central - 16-6
Phelps - 7-7

Combined Record 36-18
Winning 63%

58th District Teams - Region Records
Prestonsburg - 12-7
South Floyd 9-5
Betsy Layne 12-9
Allen Central - 3-14

Combined Record 36-35
Winning 51%

Heck throw in Piarist who went 5-8 in the Region and the 60th is still better two years ago as well.
Pages: 1 2