Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting in highschool
papagrit Wrote:I am in the camp that says a kid should be able to go where they want to go. I know others disagree with this, some of those being people that I respect on here. But in my opinion if a school system wants to keep their kids in district, then they should present a positive reason for those kids to stay in their own district. If the district stinks at athletics, academics or the kid just doesn't wish to go to that school for personal reasons, then they should be allowed to move to a better opportunity that will give them a better chance to succeed......in life. I live in Garrard County and sent my kids to Rockcastle County. My reasons were personal ones at the time, but, my boys excelled at Rockcastle County in academics AND sports. They might have done as well at Garrard County, but, the track they took worked out nicely for them and we have no regrets for the extra travel/commute.

I have absolutely NO issue with this. If everybody did it this way, there would be NO problem!!!

But that's not where it ends. Some of you said, you thought the issue of recruiting was over stated. It isn't. There was a time when a certain family in Harlan County maintained 4 apartments in Harlan city just for address purposes. And they recruited hard.

It hasn't been a long time ago when posters would get on here and brag about the Canadian pipe line that brought basketball players in to the 14th region. Then the region blew up when one of them wasn't happy and went to the "other" school that they weren't recruited for.

So you see, whether stupid parents are living vicariously through their kids or stupid coaches teach that it's okay to do ANYTHING to win, these perspectives take recruiting to a whole different level. When you add money and power to the equation, it eclipses the idea of what is best for the student athlete.

It quickly became a pro-athletics type of scenario. Recruiting, even payments to the families were regularly happening. At one point in time, folks quit trying to hide what they were doing; openly approaching student athletes even at a sporting event.

This doesn't happen as often in my neck of the woods NOW. With employment down, and the Power Family not as involved in their school, I haven't heard about any of the extreme situations in a few years.

But at one time, student athletes became pawns for the influential. THAT is the part of recruiting that literally makes me sick.
Hound05 Wrote:I agree! Which is why I said it looks even worse crossing state lines. But I’m also in favor of kids going where they want. Still looks bad though with kids showing up to Hs with another states tags on their plate

I don't disagree. I can't help but poke at you. lol
Granny Bear Wrote:I have absolutely NO issue with this. If everybody did it this way, there would be NO problem!!!

But that's not where it ends. Some of you said, you thought the issue of recruiting was over stated. It isn't. There was a time when a certain family in Harlan County maintained 4 apartments in Harlan city just for address purposes. And they recruited hard.

It hasn't been a long time ago when posters would get on here and brag about the Canadian pipe line that brought basketball players in to the 14th region. Then the region blew up when one of them wasn't happy and went to the "other" school that they weren't recruited for.

So you see, whether stupid parents are living vicariously through their kids or stupid coaches teach that it's okay to do ANYTHING to win, these perspectives take recruiting to a whole different level. When you add money and power to the equation, it eclipses the idea of what is best for the student athlete.

It quickly became a pro-athletics type of scenario. Recruiting, even payments to the families were regularly happening. At one point in time, folks quit trying to hide what they were doing; openly approaching student athletes even at a sporting event.

This doesn't happen as often in my neck of the woods NOW. With employment down, and the Power Family not as involved in their school, I haven't heard about any of the extreme situations in a few years.

But at one time, student athletes became pawns for the influential. THAT is the part of recruiting that literally makes me sick.

Very well said. You and I both know it happens is why it gets aggravating when people try to insult your intelligence, and say it doesn't.
Somerset is well versed in recruiting from the county schools.
They are talk on here like dudes be 100-0 the last few years and claiming everyone wants to play there. But really the last time they won a championship Christopher Columbus was just underway on his return voyage to England. If you ain't first, you're last. Join the damn mediocrity club!
itsatrap Wrote:Somerset is well versed in recruiting from the county schools.

Examples? How many of Pulaski's best players on their state championship team attended elementary and/or middle school at Somerset?

smoke1015 Wrote:They are talk on here like dudes be 100-0 the last few years and claiming everyone wants to play there. But really the last time they won a championship Christopher Columbus was just underway on his return voyage to England. If you ain't first, you're last. Join the damn mediocrity club!

Really inspiring stuff here. There's so much wrong here that I can't even touch it. Good on you.
Some of you are hilarious comparing Corbin to Alabama LOL now trinity belfry teams that are usually dominant in their class and have the hardware that isn’t 20-30 years old to prove it I can see lol. As for the recruiting I don’t really have an opinion on. It is what it is
billsizemore63 Wrote:Some of you are hilarious comparing Corbin to Alabama LOL now trinity belfry teams that are usually dominant in their class and have the hardware that isn’t 20-30 years old to prove it I can see lol. As for the recruiting I don’t really have an opinion on. It is what it is

But yet for your 10th ever post you comment on a topic you don’t have an opinion on. Right.... where is it again someone said corbin is Alabama?? Ha
Hound05 Wrote:But yet for your 10th ever post you comment on a topic you don’t have an opinion on. Right.... where is it again someone said corbin is Alabama?? Ha
I may have misread but I saw someone compare it to a player choosing to go to UK over Alabama. Not meaning to ruffle any feathers I just think some forget that it’s hs football anything can happen as you saw in the Central playoff game a few years back. Ball bounces a funny way some nights and these are high school kids.
4-5 turnovers a bad night or God Forbid an injury to a key player and you can lose to a team you should’ve beaten by 20. It’s the nature of the game
billsizemore63 Wrote:I may have misread but I saw someone compare it to a player choosing to go to UK over Alabama. Not meaning to ruffle any feathers I just think some forget that it’s hs football anything can happen as you saw in the Central playoff game a few years back. Ball bounces a funny way some nights and these are high school kids.
That might have been me. I dunno I don’t really feel like going back and reading. But it seems like we were comparing kids going to corbin over Whitley. Which is a pretty good example of Alabama over UK. Obviously no one thinks we or anyone else in the state is comparable to Alabama regarding play. But recruiting. I think it’s pretty accurate.

You’re right the ball does bounce weird ways. Anything can happen when the lights turn on.
Ask Douglass, they are notorious and openly pursuant of players out of their district... and Fayette district will NOT do anything about it. And if no one believes it, just look at their roster, a HANDFUL of players were at a different program from previous season and it has NOTHING to do with the redistricting.
What programs have they pulled from NOT a result from redistricting??
Hound05 Wrote:What programs have they pulled from NOT a result from redistricting??

Is Knott County in their district? I have tried to stay out of this because it’s a mess, but everyone on here has their opinion of this and there are people that do try to talk these young men into transferring into another school system. That’s a fact not fiction and it does help to have a successful program which makes these kids want to play there for exposure and if it’s their choice so be it. If I played at this day of time and all the hype it gets I probably would,too.Cant blame a young man wanting to go to another school but when the adults get involved to actively convince them that’s the bad part now I not talking about parents. It’s the boosters or people affiliated with the programs and it happens everywhere
billsizemore63 Wrote:Some of you are hilarious comparing Corbin to Alabama LOL now trinity belfry teams that are usually dominant in their class and have the hardware that isn’t 20-30 years old to prove it I can see lol. As for the recruiting I don’t really have an opinion on. It is what it is
if a championship from 30 years is no good. one from two years ago is no good. You sound like an @$$ talking pirate.
billsizemore63 Wrote:I may have misread but I saw someone compare it to a player choosing to go to UK over Alabama. Not meaning to ruffle any feathers I just think some forget that it’s hs football anything can happen as you saw in the Central playoff game a few years back. Ball bounces a funny way some nights and these are high school kids.

it's called an example. You might have heard of it while going to elementary school in West Virginia. it didn't really mean Corbin is Alabama :yikes::Shaking:
billsizemore63 Wrote:4-5 turnovers a bad night or God Forbid an injury to a key player and you can lose to a team you should’ve beaten by 20. It’s the nature of the game
I wonder if it was a ghost or a dominant defense that forced the turnovers?
FBfan4life Wrote:Ask Douglass, they are notorious and openly pursuant of players out of their district... and Fayette district will NOT do anything about it. And if no one believes it, just look at their roster, a HANDFUL of players were at a different program from previous season and it has NOTHING to do with the redistricting.

it happens everywhere. KHSAA has favorites same as NCAA.
Patriot1 Wrote:Is Knott County in their district? I have tried to stay out of this because it’s a mess, but everyone on here has their opinion of this and there are people that do try to talk these young men into transferring into another school system. That’s a fact not fiction and it does help to have a successful program which makes these kids want to play there for exposure and if it’s their choice so be it. If I played at this day of time and all the hype it gets I probably would,too.Cant blame a young man wanting to go to another school but when the adults get involved to actively convince them that’s the bad part now I not talking about parents. It’s the boosters or people affiliated with the programs and it happens everywhere
is Paintsville in the Frederick Douglass district? lol
pjdoug Wrote:is Paintsville in the Frederick Douglass district? lol

They will be Friday night
From a former players perspective, I like to see kids stay at home. I played on a very poor team my whole high school career. I was still recruited and played college ball. I still received different honors in our area and on the state level. I was asked several times why I didn't go next door to play for the much more successful programs and even one sports writer done a small column in the newspaper my senior year about why I kept coming back. We won 14 games my whole career, but I still made it to the next level. My point is, if you're good enough, colleges will find you. I felt like I needed to make the best of the situation I was in, instead of trying to find a better one. Everyone is different, but I done what was best for me and I don't regret it.
Rip/Spin Wrote:From a former players perspective, I like to see kids stay at home. I played on a very poor team my whole high school career. I was still recruited and played college ball. I still received different honors in our area and on the state level. I was asked several times why I didn't go next door to play for the much more successful programs and even one sports writer done a small column in the newspaper my senior year about why I kept coming back. We won 14 games my whole career, but I still made it to the next level. My point is, if you're good enough, colleges will find you. I felt like I needed to make the best of the situation I was in, instead of trying to find a better one. Everyone is different, but I done what was best for me and I don't regret it.
I respect the statement my son made when asked about playing somewhere else. " A state championship wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't won with my brothers." A life lesson learned, loyalty to family, friends and community. Not condemning those who believe differently but I do appreciate those kids that struggle to build their own story instead of joining someone else's.
Hound05 Wrote:What programs have they pulled from NOT a result from redistricting??
From EVERY public schools in Lexington ( Lafayette, Dunbar, Henry Clay, B. Station), not to mention lineMEN from LCA
FBfan4life Wrote:From EVERY public schools in Lexington ( Lafayette, Dunbar, Henry Clay, B. Station), not to mention lineMEN from LCA

Thanks for the info. I’m not defending them by no means. I couldn’t care less about FD. But to be fair can’t LCA do the same thing? Pull from wherever? And does Lexington do it like I’ve hear Louisville does, where kids can go to any public school as long as they have their own transport?

This issue comes up once a month, and is beat like a race horse. I respect everyone’s views because no one is right, including myself. But I remain firm on doing what’s best for these kids. That’s what HS football is for, the kids. If they wanna go where they have the best opportunity, then they should. Now boosters and etc. influencing them is wayyy wrong, I agree. But regardless of what trinity, all these other catholic schools say, they pull from other districts, so why shouldn’t public schools be able to as well?
pjdoug Wrote:it's called an example. You might have heard of it while going to elementary school in West Virginia. it didn't really mean Corbin is Alabama :yikes::Shaking:

I got that it was an example but it was poor one. I’d compare Corbin more to a Michigan lol
Wins a lot of games but has a tough time with the Big one
Rip/Spin Wrote:From a former players perspective, I like to see kids stay at home. I played on a very poor team my whole high school career. I was still recruited and played college ball. I still received different honors in our area and on the state level. I was asked several times why I didn't go next door to play for the much more successful programs and even one sports writer done a small column in the newspaper my senior year about why I kept coming back. We won 14 games my whole career, but I still made it to the next level. My point is, if you're good enough, colleges will find you. I felt like I needed to make the best of the situation I was in, instead of trying to find a better one. Everyone is different, but I done what was best for me and I don't regret it.
Some people are just proud of where they are and where they come from. Back where I come from
I'm an old Tennessean
(And I'm proud) And I'm proud as anyone
That's where I come from :biggrin:
Hound05 Wrote:Thanks for the info. I’m not defending them by no means. I couldn’t care less about FD. But to be fair can’t LCA do the same thing? Pull from wherever? And does Lexington do it like I’ve hear Louisville does, where kids can go to any public school as long as they have their own transport?

This issue comes up once a month, and is beat like a race horse. I respect everyone’s views because no one is right, including myself. But I remain firm on doing what’s best for these kids. That’s what HS football is for, the kids. If they wanna go where they have the best opportunity, then they should. Now boosters and etc. influencing them is wayyy wrong, I agree. But regardless of what trinity, all these other catholic schools say, they pull from other districts, so why shouldn’t public schools be able to as well?

freudian slip? you said trinity when you actually meant to say corbin?lol
billsizemore63 Wrote:I got that it was an example but it was poor one. I’d compare Corbin more to a Michigan lol

it was a great one. your comment is a poor one :lame::ChairHit::gtfo::gtfo: