Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland vs Paintsville
:biglmao:
jetpilot Wrote:^My grandpa told me about that game. He said his grandpa told him about it.:devilflam

Confusedinglepar:biggrin:
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Couple D1 guys from those two schools over the years arent bad. In all honesty, Raceland had potentially 4 or 5 potential division 1 caliber players Petterey's senior year. Josh Adkins, Anthony Frisby, Ross Reed, and Josh Roar all had the ability but ended up doing something else. Anthony was one of the fastest guys I have ever seen in my life. He and Adkins were both apart of the State Championship Track Team.

I think Reed opted out to a academic scholly and Adkins ended up in the military and Im not sure what happened to Roar and Frisby. That was a very good Raceland team on '04. Pettery was a great D1 kicker for Ohio State, but he also had some offers at some big NAIA, Small FCS, and D1 2A schools at QB and WR. Paintsville had a slew of tallent back on the BMR days as well.

This was the class of 04 which would have been the 03 team. As you have stated, that team had some talent but they were a mediocre team that season due to losing a lot of key players from graduation. Raceland had a really good team in 2002 and I believe that team won Raceland's first home playoff game in school history. As good as that team was they only made it to the second round of the playoffs after they ran into a juggernaut NewCath team. All in all those early 2000's years saw a lot of talent throughout the entire area and a lot of schools that we see struggling now were actually pretty good during those years. I remember Greenup and Boyd in particular being light years ahead of where they are now and Greenup actually had a 6 or 7 year winning streak against Raceland. Ironton was also a powerhouse and no one on this side of the river was within three touchdowns of them.
As far as this week goes, the past needs to stay in the past. Yes Pikeville thumped Paintsville a few weeks ago but don't forget that Raceland put a running clock on Pikeville a few years ago only to lose to that same Pikeville team later in the playoffs. I think Raceland wins this week and I believe they will be prepared but Paintsville is not to be taken lightly and if the Rams don't show up to play then Paintsville will be taking the district championship down 23 south.
I agree blaze. And thanks for the corrections. I always get years mixed up, everything runs together.
ManofGOD Wrote:Sebastian Johansonn is at Marshall also from Raceland.

The swede. Great player and a great kid. BIG and strong as an ox. More suprisingly he was around 6'4" or 6'5" and about 275/280 when he got here. Once he adjusted to the altitude between here and his native Sweden, his speed is what impressed me. Last years line was big, but that 08 line was large and extremely mobile.
You Raceland fans are really into all of this, love your team spirit!
Thats because so many of us played at Raceland. Much like the other EKY/NEKY former players, very few of us stray from the areas we grew up with due to what coal has meant to our are in regaurds to jobs. That is changing a bit, sadly. Interestingly enough though, I think around 80% of Raceland's coaching staff went to, played for , and graduated from Raceland. Salmons, Grizzle, Fannin on the Varsity staff were all standout players. Even more are envolved in the JV-JRH. Only a handful of outsiders have come in over the years. Many think that could be a negative thing, due to so many "little johny is the best" or "come on man we went to school together, give timmy a shot at qb". But we have a GREAT staff who handles everything wonderfully. We really have a good thing going at Raceland. In academics and all atheletics.
cant poach him, he is a senior
Orange Blaze Wrote:This was the class of 04 which would have been the 03 team. As you have stated, that team had some talent but they were a mediocre team that season due to losing a lot of key players from graduation. Raceland had a really good team in 2002 and I believe that team won Raceland's first home playoff game in school history. As good as that team was they only made it to the second round of the playoffs after they ran into a juggernaut NewCath team. All in all those early 2000's years saw a lot of talent throughout the entire area and a lot of schools that we see struggling now were actually pretty good during those years. I remember Greenup and Boyd in particular being light years ahead of where they are now and Greenup actually had a 6 or 7 year winning streak against Raceland. Ironton was also a powerhouse and no one on this side of the river was within three touchdowns of them.
Raceland's first home playoff victory was 1987 against Carroll Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pikeville has size an depth to play with anyone of you ask me. They have a very impressive team all the way around. They've also beat some very good teams this year and are battle tested I think they have a good shot. But it's all abt who catches some breaks an don't turn the ball over. You will be surprised if our basing your opinion off of last years p ville team they are much improved.
One thing that will slow Paintsville down besides our defense is our field. It's in a hell of a shape! Still muddy from the last rains that we got. We will make sure it stays muddy too like we did when we beat the unbeatable Pikeville putty tats last year.
Wet field = a very long night for Paintsville. Raceland has huge advantage if field is muddy.
Jarons Wrote:Raceland's first home playoff victory was 1987 against Carroll Co.

My mistake. I was always told that Raceland hadn't won a home playoff game prior to 02.
Orange Blaze Wrote:My mistake. I was always told that Raceland hadn't won a home playoff game prior to 02.

I was mistaken too. Raceland beat Ludlow in 1987 for their first playoff victory at home and all time also. Raceland beat Carroll Co. in 1988. At home also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think it will be an exciting game, at least for 2-3 quarters. The key for the RAMS will be to: 1. Contain and/or limit Paintsville's skill players & 2. Control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
IntheZone Wrote:Pikeville has size an depth to play with anyone of you ask me. They have a very impressive team all the way around. They've also beat some very good teams this year and are battle tested I think they have a good shot. But it's all abt who catches some breaks an don't turn the ball over. You will be surprised if our basing your opinion off of last years p ville team they are much improved.

Pikeville? Isthis a miss type or are you thinking this is a Raceland/PIKEVILLE thread? No ill intent here. Just confused. This thread is for Raceland/PAINTSVILLE. We have a few more weeka before that rucus starts. Lol
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:One thing that will slow Paintsville down besides our defense is our field. It's in a hell of a shape! Still muddy from the last rains that we got. We will make sure it stays muddy too like we did when we beat the unbeatable Pikeville putty tats last year.

So the Rams have to keep a muddy field to beat good teams:lame:
This will be the game of the week in the MTs I for one am glad to see competitive games in the MTs.
We have to keep a muddy field to keep us from beating teams by eleventy billion!
There is no keeping a muddy field at Raceland. That place is an absolute pigslop of a field after a major storm system passes through. I have dropped my son off at school all but a handful of days this season and its been well over a week or maybe more since the sprinklers have been on and those usually continue until the end of this month. Idk if that field can hold any more water. Our boys have to play on it just the same.
Would love for Coach Joe and the Tigers to get a win, but I am afraid it will not happen at Raceland.
If this game were at Paintsville id only give Raceland a 1-2 td cushion. Beig at Raceland where they have an 82% winning percentage, I give them the edge by. 3 or 4 scores. It will be even more if they cant stop the run w/o 7 or 8 in the box. If they have to do that and start sucking in their dbs we will blow them out . If they stay balanced on defense and limit our touches on offense, they have a shot at pulling a major upset. But idk if we have even punted 10 times this year.
I was told by A coach friend of mine in that area that several coaches think that this game will decide who plays for the East championship. It can't get any better than this.
Bronson leave early and watch them warm up good luck. I have known in {Paintsville Del Mar and Lowell Hughs played at Ky under Bear. Ky All state QBs
At least we will be able to get some good food at Raceland. The concession stand at Paintsville has been disgusting this year.
Raceland 48
Paintsville 20
Old Ball Coach Wrote:At least we will be able to get some good food at Raceland. The concession stand at Paintsville has been disgusting this year.

Most definitely. We take alot of pride in our consession stand. Looking like a great fall day for football. The Volley Ball team just brought another district title back last night, tonight the football team has a chance to do something that we havent done in 18 years, thats win back-to-back district championships. We will have to do it against a very good Paintsville team. Should we underestimate them and come out flat, it could be a long night. I think we r taking good care of the football and playing with alot of fire right now. Cant wait for kickoff!
Raceland 42

Paintsville 14
25-0 Halftime