Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losses that still stick with you...I will give you my top ones.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I've heard several Pirate faithful say that game in 1978 was garbage, and the play was cleared with an official before even being ran.
Good post. All those losses were hard to take. 85 and 86 the most.
87 Belfry Vs. Pikeville. Both ranked in cantrells top 20. Belfry coming off of two state chapionships and Pikeville in there first year of there three year domination. Setup as the game for the ages in the mountains. Pikeville took it us, literally down to the last second.
87 Belfry vs. Pikeville. Both teams ranked in cantrells state's top twenty. Belfry coming off of two 3A state championship apperances and Pikeville in there first year of there 1A domination. This one was setup as one for the ages in the mountains. Pikeville took it to the Bucs, litterally down to the last second. Hard loss to take, to a great Pikeville team.
Seeing my older cousin take out Newport central catholic in 97 in a game Raceland should've never won.
Another one I remember was 2005 Ashland at Russell Ian Holbrook never seeing a wide open drew mcdavid in the back of the end zone. Trys to run for the td and gets stuffed short of the goal line
I'm full of these.

Perry Central losing to Hazard 24-28 in 2006
Perry Central losing to Hazard 22-20 in 2008
Perry Central losing to Letcher Central 32-35 in 2009
Perry Central losing to Harlan County 14-15 in 2009
Perry Central losing to Whitley County 35-41 in double OT in 2004
Perry Central losing to Southwestern 21-26 in 2011
Perry Central losing to Leslie County 14-20 in 2004 in overtime
sstack Wrote:My all time greatest game in NKY history! Two great teams, HUGE crowd, and a great great game! Like many years, this was "the state championship game". The regular season score was 13-7 in regulation and in the playoff rematch it went to OT with the same 13-7 score. The only game at Highlands that has had a crowd as big as that game has been the game recently against Cincy St X.
It was a classic. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago
DeSales over Prestonsburg in 2007 & 2009.
2002 Rockcastle County pounded Highlands 45-6 in state semi finals. I thought they had their first state title but played sub par and lost to Boyle Co 21-0 in the finals. This really added to the suck-ability since Boyle beat Rock 49-14 in the 2001 finals.
nky Wrote:It was a classic. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago

Thanks for reminding me how old I am getting!
^ no kidding That was my last High School football game as a player
2006 1st Round Playoff Loss to NCC, a team we beat earlier in the season to get the 2 seed. It was 14 to 7 at halftime and halfway into the 3rd quarter. We threw a pick 6 and wheels fell off. NCC went on to win state.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:DeSales over Prestonsburg in 2007 & 2009.
The finals loss to Mayfield in 93 has to rank pretty darn high up there for Blackcat fans. That was a tough one for me, as I was pulling for y'all hard.
Mine would have to be my Jr. year 2005 playing for Christain County coming in to the playoffs as a 4th seed making it to the regional championship up by 21 going in to the 4th against Warren Central and losing by 1.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Seeing my older cousin take out Newport central catholic in 97 in a game Raceland should've never won.

I played in that game...and the one the year before. We crushed Raceland's best team ever in the first round in '96 and had just beaten the eventual AA champs Bourbon Co. the week before. Raceland was coming up to us and I felt like we were much faster....then it rained and rained and rained.

That game was perfect for Raceland. Newport Stadium was a swamp and we were very, very small. Our heaviest O-Lineman was our TE at 210.

Raceland had a huge right tackle and Salmons who weighed about 250-260 as the fullback. They hit us for 2 huge TDs in the first half. We held them on the goal line in the 3rd quarter and drove 99 yards for the TD. We were down by like 5 and had them on 3rd and long. We sold out on a blitz, our CB slipped, and they completed a long TD pass...game over.

I can't say if it would have affected the outcome for sure, but not having Timmy Sandfoss killed us. He was our school's all-time leading rusher at the time and had turned into an impact player when working in at OLB on defense.
The only reason to think about any loss if to figure out why you failed and use it to win. To do otherwise is to memorialize defeat.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:2001
Scott County 17
Whitley County 7

We had only lost one game up until that point. We were expected to drill Scott County in the first round. Long story short, our QB goes down on our 2nd possession after scoring early. Enter a soph QB who hadnt played a down all year.

Could have done some major damage that year.

I was also at this game. What I remember was one of the most respected officials in Kentucky, Doug Hampton, who's son-in-law was the head coach of Scott County, stood on the Scott County sideline and "worked" the officials the entire game.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:The finals loss to Mayfield in 93 has to rank pretty darn high up there for Blackcat fans. That was a tough one for me, as I was pulling for y'all hard.

Well I'm sure the loss would have stuck with me if I was old enough to remember the game. I was only 4 years old at the time this game was played.

Have heard a lot of stories about that season though.
Anybody from P'burg remember back in the early 80's Prestonsburg came to Somerset during the playoffs. Somerset won but later that night some of Prestonsburg's finest were doing something with their guns at the Hotel and one of them accidentally shot the another one in the leg.
rojas Wrote:I was also at this game. What I remember was one of the most respected officials in Kentucky, Doug Hampton, who's son-in-law was the head coach of Scott County, stood on the Scott County sideline and "worked" the officials the entire game.

I was there because that was my last high school football game lol.

Campbell absoloutly ripped into the official in that game. I honestly thought he was going to whip him all over that field.
@ Rockcastle from 2003-2006, we lost 12 games and 5 of them are tough to swallow;

2003: ROCK @ Mason Co. 19-21 (playoffs)
2004: ROCK @ Ashland 27-34 2OT (playoffs)
2005: ROCK @ Bell Co. 29-33 (district championship)
2006: ROCK @ Lincoln Co. 18-21
2006: ROCK @ Johnson Central 7-29 (region championship) last game
I can think of 4 games. Harlan Ind./Paintsville regional championship '79,Harlan Ind./Cumberland '80,ditto '81,ditto '82. We were 41-4 those 4 years and 3 of them we lost in the final game in regular season in very tight games. I think 2 of those years Cumberland went on to the state finals. I'd like to think 2 of the best 3 teams in the state class A those years were in Harlan Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I believe it was 2006, not 100% sure. Southwestern lost to Louisville Central somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-40. That one stings bad. Mike Jones, Ryan Smart, and co...that was one heck of an offense. I thought for sure we were going to pull one out and get to host Bowling Green the next week. Would have been the first region title in school history. Very bittersweet ending for a very good team.
The 2008 loss to Breathitt 14-12 still sticks with me. Though in hindsight, we were both probably playing for second to an unreal Central team, the 2008 team was the first one who I had numerous friends on and seeing them go out on their home field that way, when I thought it was their year, still hurts. Looking back, we may have gotten clubbed the next week, I don't know, but that still kills me.
ironton has been in 8 state championship games but won only 2 of them, so for me the other 6 we lost.