Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losses that still stick with you...I will give you my top ones.
1. Belfry v. Central 2011 3A State Championship Game...So close...Jackets win 15-14.
2. Pikeville v. Beechwwod 1999 1A State Semis...Pikeville controls most of game and leads 19-10 about midway through the 4th. Two late Tiger scores get the victory.
3. Belfry v. Central 2007 3A State Championship...Pirates have a chance late, but fumble in the red zone going for the lead...Jackets win 27-17.
4. Belfry v. Russell 3A State Semis...Pirates trail by 3 scores at half after Devils dominate...Belfry turns the tables in the second half but self-destructs in crunch time and Russell wins 20-14 I believe.
5. Sheldon Clark v. Belfry 1998 3A State semis at Vipperman...Spradlin's "crawl" to the goaline going for two gives the Cards a 15-14 win and prevents the Big Red from hosting Smith and Lorenzen and Co. the next week.
Ironton vs Ashland 2005 Preston Freemans missed game winning field goal that could've ended irontons winning streak.

2002 bell co vs Ashland. Ashland goes for 2 2point conversions and loses 14-12 in playoffs
1982- CovCath Vs that team from Ft. Thomas-
13-7 in OT that team from Ft. Thomas won
Letcher Central vs Pulaski Co Regional Final. We made too many stupid mistakes that cost us. Great team, but wasn't prepared that day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
My uncle said Fort Campbell 15-13 win vs Paintsville in 1978 was the one that still keeps him awake at night. I love that story to this day.
My final game.

Russell 3
Ashland 7

With a playoff spot on the line. That still sucks
1997 Breathitt/Lawrence.
2003 Somerset vs. Pikeville
2005 Somerset vs. Danville
FBALL Wrote:My final game.

Russell 3
Ashland 7

With a playoff spot on the line. That still sucks

Wow Russell Ashland with playoff implications. Showing your age a Little on that one.
TigerBlues Wrote:My uncle said Fort Campbell 15-13 win vs Paintsville in 1978 was the one that still keeps him awake at night. I love that story to this day.
I saw that game at EKU, Paintsville had a team capable of winning, it didn't go their way that day.

Fort Campbell moved up in class the following year and beat Pikeville in the 2A finals.
1974 Corbin 15-Evarts 14. Evarts up 14-8 with 2 minutes to go. Corbin has the ball on their own 20 yard line. Corbin runs an end sweep. The running back falls onto both knees. Both teams stop as if the play is dead but the whistle never blows. The Corbin running back gets up and runs 80 yards for the winning touchdown after falling onto both knees.

1975 Corbin 12- Evarts 7
The very next year We (Evarts) were ahead 7-6 with 2 minutes to go. After holding Corbin on 4th down Evarts gets called for a late hit to give Corbin another chance. Later on the same drive Evarts holds Corbin on 4 consecutive plays from the 1 yard line, only to be called for pass interference on the final play of the game giving Corbin yet another chance. They score and win the game.
1978 Russell beat Belfry in the semifinals 7-6 in a controversial XP call. Russell went on to win the title and Belfry fans thought they had one taken away from them.

1979 Belfry's entire backfield out with injuries and Franklin Simpson takes the Pirates to the woodshed in the State Finals. Joker Phillips and Kerry Baird were fun to watch, but that loss was tough on this young Pirate fan.

1985 finals loss to Paducah Tilghman. PT led 16-14 with about 2 min to go and they ended up getting two quick scores to ice it. PT was the more talented team but we hung with them. Very hard emotionally for me.

1986 Belfry was good enough to win but we fumbled 9 times and gave Owensboro many opportunities and lost 14-0. Hard to play that badly on the big stage.

1989 Fort Thomas beat Belfry in OT in the semifinals in a great game at Highlands

2012 State Finals loss to Central was a tough one to swallow
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Wow Russell Ashland with playoff implications. Showing your age a Little on that one.

Yep. I'm old.
FBALL Wrote:Yep. I'm old.

Yep you are:eyeroll:
Buc-a-roo Wrote:1978 Russell beat Belfry in the semifinals 7-6 in a controversial XP call. Russell went on to win the title and Belfry fans thought they had one taken away from them.

1979 Belfry's entire backfield out with injuries and Franklin Simpson takes the Pirates to the woodshed in the State Finals. Joker Phillips and Kerry Baird were fun to watch, but that loss was tough on this young Pirate fan.

1985 finals loss to Paducah Tilghman. PT led 16-14 with about 2 min to go and they ended up getting two quick scores to ice it. PT was the more talented team but we hung with them. Very hard emotionally for me.

1986 Belfry was good enough to win but we fumbled 9 times and gave Owensboro many opportunities and lost 14-0. Hard to play that badly on the big stage.

1989 Fort Thomas beat Belfry in OT in the semifinals in a great game at Highlands

I've heard several Pirate faithful say that game in 1978 was garbage, and the play was cleared with an official before even being ran.
rojas Wrote:1974 Corbin 15-Evarts 14. Evarts up 14-8 with 2 minutes to go. Corbin has the ball on their own 20 yard line. Corbin runs an end sweep. The running back falls onto both knees. Both teams stop as if the play is dead but the whistle never blows. The Corbin running back gets up and runs 80 yards for the winning touchdown after falling onto both knees.

1975 Corbin 12- Evarts 7
The very next year We (Evarts) were ahead 7-6 with 2 minutes to go. After holding Corbin on 4th down Evarts gets called for a late hit to give Corbin another chance. Later on the same drive Evarts holds Corbin on 4 consecutive plays from the 1 yard line, only to be called for pass interference on the final play of the game giving Corbin yet another chance. They score and win the game.

I believe the 75 game(may have been 76 though) was the year that Evarts got into all that trouble for using 4-5 illegal players against Corbin, seems like they had already graduated.
TigerBlues Wrote:My uncle said Fort Campbell 15-13 win vs Paintsville in 1978 was the one that still keeps him awake at night. I love that story to this day.

I forgot to mention this was the state championship game. My bad :lame:
SEKYFAN Wrote:I believe the 75 game(may have been 76 though) was the year that Evarts got into all that trouble for using 4-5 illegal players against Corbin, seems like they had already graduated.

No. That was in 1979. It was two players and against Glasgow.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Yep you are:eyeroll:

Damnit!

That Brings up my other one.
Russell 6
Belfry 14

This was when only the winner of the district went to the playoffs and broke a four year streak for the good guys. I thought they were going to burn Vipperman down after that game.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I've heard several Pirate faithful say that game in 1978 was garbage, and the play was cleared with an official before even being ran.

You guys just never like it when we kick your butts. :moon:
2011 - Southwestern loses to Anderson County. We were one game away from the State Championship
FBALL Wrote:Damnit!

That Brings up my other one.
Russell 6
Belfry 14

This was when only the winner of the district went to the playoffs and broke a four year streak for the good guys. I thought they were going to burn Vipperman down after that game.
Someone should write a book on the Russell vs Belfry history.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:1989 Fort Thomas beat Belfry in OT in the semifinals in a great game at Highlands

Damn Buc...at least throw a **spoiler alert** at all of us the next time before you go all Ms. Chleo on us an predict the future Big Grin.

These two hurt the most in addition to the 2007 State Finals game.

This is the difference in 5 State Titles and 2 for the Pirates.

1989, Belfry literally came up inches short to the heavily favored Bluebirds. In addition, if Belfry wins that game then they have the 3-2 All-Time Series lead and bragging rights as one of the very few teams to have a winning record against Highlands.

2007, I still honestly feel Belfry was the better team overall, but that night Central was the better team and caught Belfry in a false state of security that was fueled by Johnson Central blowing out Central (who Belfry dominated in Week 10), and the fact they had just absolutely steamrolled a pretty good Breathitt County team in the Semi's. That Pick 6 before the Half is one of the biggest turning points in a State Finals game in years.

2011, roles were reversed as Central, IMO, was the better team overall, but Belfry played the better single game and nearly pulled the mammoth upset. If I had to make a list this would be 3rd as the only thing that made it sting so bad was the fact it so close, and if not for a perfectly thrown pass and a perfect catch against perfect coverage, Belfry wins. Nothing at all to be upset with in this one other then the Final Score.

The 1998 Sheldon Clark game definitely stunk and it was one of the single worst blown calls in a key situation I can remember (knees,elbow, elbow, goalline), but the fact remains Belfry would have been seal clubbed the next week in the Semi's anyway by that unstoppable Highlands team.
FBALL Wrote:You guys just never like it when we kick your butts. :moon:

True.

Good thing the boys have decided to take away any doubt of that happening very early on the past 5 years Big Grin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:True.

Good thing the boys have decided to take away any doubt of that happening very early on the past 5 years Big Grin

We've each had our streaks. What comes around goes around. :devilflam
Oops, obviously I meant 2011, not 2012
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Someone should write a book on the Russell vs Belfry history.

It's been a good one.

Russell leads all time 12-10

Belfry has won the last 2
Belfry won another classic over the Devils in 1979...6-0...You talk about pressure when only one team out of a district goes to the playoffs.
1980...Leslie County returns a kickoff late in the game to stun Belfry in the playoffs at Vipperman...It was either 23-22 or 22-21.
nky Wrote:1982- CovCath Vs that team from Ft. Thomas-
13-7 in OT that team from Ft. Thomas won

My all time greatest game in NKY history! Two great teams, HUGE crowd, and a great great game! Like many years, this was "the state championship game". The regular season score was 13-7 in regulation and in the playoff rematch it went to OT with the same 13-7 score. The only game at Highlands that has had a crowd as big as that game has been the game recently against Cincy St X.
Scott County 17
Whitley County 7

We had only lost one game up until that point. We were expected to drill Scott County in the first round. Long story short, our QB goes down on our 2nd possession after scoring early. Enter a soph QB who hadnt played a down all year.

Could have done some major damage that year.