Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne 59, Pikeville 49 (15th region)
Westside Wrote:How could you see this as a dig towards this young man? To me it shows a player who gave his all and came up a little short. It shows how bad he wanted it.
Perhaps I reacted hastily. But I wish he could have posted some other picture or pictures instead of just an image of a Pikeville player with his head down like that after a defeat. If it were part of a group of pictures, I know I wouldn't have minded it at all. Just struck me wrong given the tenor of some of the comments on here. Stardust, I apologize in advance if that wasn't your intent.
PIKEVILLE – It didn’t take the Betsy Layne Bobcats long to shake off a loss in the 58th District championship game. Betsy Layne returned to the win column in neighboring Pikeville, prevailing over a longtime rival on a familiar floor. The Bobcats hit free throws late to fend off Pikeville 59-49 in the opening round of the 15th Region Boys’ Basketball Tournament at the East Kentucky Expo Center Wednesday night.

Floyd County Conference Player of the Year Andrew Roberts, a senior, led Betsy Layne with 16 points and 11 rebounds.

Peyton Case joined Roberts in double figures, scoring 12 points for the Bobcats.

Betsy Layne shot 19-of-38 (50 percent) from the field. The Bobcats were 3-of-9 (33 percent) from 3-point range.

Betsy Layne finished 18-for-26 from the free-throw line. Calm free throw shooting late in the fourth quarter helped Betsy Layne to post the win.

Garran Newsome scored eight points and Cody Luster contributed seven for the Bobcats.

Betsy Layne, under the guidance of head coach Junior Newsome, limited Pikeville in each of the first three quarters. The two teams engaged in a shootout late, combining for nearly 50 points in the final period.

Betsy Layne edged Pikeville 12-11 in the first quarter and led 23-18 at intermission.

The Bobcats added to their lead in the third quarter, outscoring Pikeville 11-8.

Dylan Hamilton and Dylan Meade aided the Betsy Layne effort with seven points apiece. Landon Hale, Charles Daniels and Dustin Rogers chipped in two points each for the Bobcats, who will face Johnson Central on Saturday at 4 p.m. in the 15th Region semifinals. Johnson Central defeated Phelps 65-54 in the opening game Wednesday night.

Ethan Rowe led Pikeville with 15 points. Wes Anderson followed, adding 11 points for the Panthers.

Morehead State University men’s golf signee Will Branham scored seven points and Jared Tackett added six for Pikeville in the loss.

Betsy Layne had 23 defensive rebounds, eight steals and one block.

Pikeville ended the season 20-12.

15th Region Tournament

at East Kentucky Expo Center,

Pikeville

Betsy Layne 59, Pikeville 49

Betsy Layne (23-5): Hamilton 5, Newsome 8, Case 12, Meade 5, A. Rogers 16, Hale 2, Luster 7, Daniels 2, D. Roberts 2.

Pikeville (20-12): Tackett 6, Anderson 11, Hamilton 2, Branham 7, Rowe 15, McAnallen 4, Hall 4.

Betsy Layne…..12 11 11 25–59

Pikeville……….11 78 23–49

Read more: Floyd County Times (KY) - Bobcats pull away from Pikeville advance to semis
PHSForever Wrote:Perhaps I reacted hastily. But I wish he could have posted some other picture or pictures instead of just an image of a Pikeville player with his head down like that after a defeat. If it were part of a group of pictures, I know I wouldn't have minded it at all. Just struck me wrong given the tenor of some of the comments on here. Stardust, I apologize in advance if that wasn't your intent.

You think
Bottom Line: Pikeville needs a basketball coach