Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
75.00%
Fleming County
25.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fleming County @ Russell 10/2
Dehoff is definitely the most athletic QB. Russell is not going to light up the scoreboard this season. Jones runs hard and has good quickness and power but lacks break away speed. To loosen things up Russell needs to find another big play option at RB to compliment Jones. White-Reed was doing a decent job. They have missed him the last couple of games as a change of pace.

The passing game is going to continue to be a struggle until they can figure out a way to keep opposing defenses out of the backfield. Screens and the sprint passes have been open. Dehoff got hit on the interception against West Carter. The play call was a a good one going deep off of play action in a short yardage situation.

People really need to get a grip and look at the whole picture. Russell has a good team that will go as far as their defense will take them. They just don't have the playmakers on offense that some of the recent Russell teams have had.

I think Russell wins this week and goes to 5-2. The only teams they have lost to thus far are Ironton and Ashland. Thats not bad. I don't think anybody could have expected any more than that out of this group. Keep up the good work.
I think the difference in the QB's this year is negligible. Whether it be Dehoff, Sparks, or Roark, the results are going to be the same. Like RedDevil1981 said, short of getting Tim Tebow in there, we were going to lose to Ironton and Ashland regardless. They're just way better at all of the positions. However, we are beating the teams we are "supposed" to beat. I figure they have settled on Dehoff to go ahead and get him experience because he is likely going to be the QB for the next 2 years. While he isn't looking like a world beater right now, you can see the potential is there for him to be very good if he works hard at it.

And I couldn't agree more with regards to the weight program! With the offense (and defense, for that matter) that Russell runs, we need 6-8 absolute monsters (ideally 8, 5 to cover the offensive line and 3 to cover the defensive line - but we've gotten by with less before), in both strength and attitude, to be walking out of that field house on a yearly basis. We have enough skill players for the next couple of years, but unless we come up with strong line players, we are going to have a tough time with teams like Ironton, Ashland, Belfry, and even Mason County.
FBALL Wrote:Dehoff is definitely the most athletic QB. Russell is not going to light up the scoreboard this season. Jones runs hard and has good quickness and power but lacks break away speed. To loosen things up Russell needs to find another big play option at RB to compliment Jones. White-Reed was doing a decent job. They have missed him the last couple of games as a change of pace.

The passing game is going to continue to be a struggle until they can figure out a way to keep opposing defenses out of the backfield. Screens and the sprint passes have been open. Dehoff got hit on the interception against West Carter. The play call was a a good one going deep off of play action in a short yardage situation.

People really need to get a grip and look at the whole picture. Russell has a good team that will go as far as their defense will take them. They just don't have the playmakers on offense that some of the recent Russell teams have had.

I think Russell wins this week and goes to 5-2. The only teams they have lost to thus far are Ironton and Ashland. Thats not bad. I don't think anybody could have expected any more than that out of this group. Keep up the good work.

Very nice post FBall!! :Thumbs:

The team is 4-2, working hard each and every week to get another win.

Go Devils! :devilflam
Russell <----My Pick!

Fleming County 3-2

Russell 4-2
as much as i dont want to say it... i think the red devils will get this one...
it will be close though
that's right Wrote:To be honest Fleming isn't very good. As a team they are big kids, the line is large but slow, I know the russell team is stronger because I've been to some wieght meets they were at. The smith kid for russell is one of the strongest in the area. Russell will beat this team by 14+. If Raceland played them today they would beat them 14+, alot of mistakes that game that has been fixed.:Thumbs:
i think the weights over the winter is a great idea,but make it manitory for the football team, come up with a class in school and give them a credit.no one knows how hard some work out in the offseason,you can tell the ones who do and don't ,it shows this year,coach tracy and coach bufford organize the weightlifting team,but still isn't manitory for the football team.
animal07 Wrote:i think the weights over the winter is a great idea,but make it manitory for the football team, come up with a class in school and give them a credit.no one knows how hard some work out in the offseason,you can tell the ones who do and don't ,it shows this year,coach tracy and coach bufford organize the weightlifting team,but still isn't manitory for the football team.

There is a class in school @ Russell its called strength and conditioning.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:There is a class in school @ Russell its called strength and conditioning.

From talking to many of the kids that have taken the class/are taking the class, it seems that it is really not much "lifting" in the field house but rather conditioning in the gym. Conditioning is never a bad idea but they also need a balance of intense weight lifting to gain strentgh as well. Two hours -five times a week after school should not be too much to ask if the kids are serious about football and wanting to make the gains to take their team to the next level.

Wildcat89 Wrote:From talking to many of the kids that have taken the class/are taking the class, it seems that it is really not much "lifting" in the field house but rather conditioning in the gym. Conditioning is never a bad idea but they also need a balance of intense weight lifting to gain strentgh as well. Two hours -five times a week after school should not be too much to ask if the kids are serious about football and wanting to make the gains to take their team to the next level.

Well I don't know about now but when I was in it we went to the field house and lifted weights about everyday of the week but that was when Sam Sparks was teaching it and then the Boys Basketball coach Stamper took over when Sparks became AD. Even when Larry Stamper took over we were at the field house lifting most days.

I don't know who is teaching it now last I had heard it was Steve Dodd but hes gone now so I have no idea.
From what ive heard, Dehoff isnt starting at QB on friday. This could be interesting.
McGlone05 Wrote:From what ive heard, Dehoff isnt starting at QB on friday. This could be interesting.

Other than getting Dehoff experience at the QB position for the next couple of years, I have no problem with either Sparks or Roark at the spot. Either one would do a good job and the offense would not suffer. As a matter of fact, I think this would keep Dehoff fresher to play safety on defense and he is a very good one. The combination of Dehoff and Davidson back there is imposing. The corner positions have been quite good as well, particularly Patrick Cooper. Korzep has played well, too. I'd try to keep Rice and Smith fresher at the linebacker spots, too. Honestly, we need Travis Jones in on D for most series as well, but I realize that's difficult as he is 90% of our offense this year. In other words, I would put all my eggs in the defensive basket! :-) I think that's where the top players are best used this year.

Of course, they may be planning on sticking Dehoff at running back. I don't know. I do wonder, though, whatever happened to Jesse White-Reed??? Maybe they've decided the status quo isn't going anywhere this year on offense, because we are pretty dependent on Travis Jones finding the right cutback lane and going for big yards. Perhaps they're going to spread things out with Rogers and Taylor at receiver spots, go to the shotgun formation, and give Jones some more space to work with. I know...I'm just dreaming. :biggrin:
Russell wins this one by 14. But Russell will be surprised by the size of this team. They're not very small up front. And have some very speedy secondary guys.
Just watch out for the reverse pass for a 60 yard bomb Devils:lmao:
ryanparker, I read on another post that Jesse White-Reed was serving some disciplinary time.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:ryanparker, I read on another post that Jesse White-Reed was serving some disciplinary time.

Thanks for the info. I wonder how many more games he is out for??? I hope he makes it back soon.
Also like to add. Both Fleming and Russell seem to have the same offensive strategy. Fleming's defense is pretty good in the trenches. They were in the backfield all night against us. However if Russell blocks these big boys, gets a seal downfield they will have success on the ground all night!
RHS HOMECOMING PARADE AND BONFIRE tomorrow at 6pm. parade line-up at 5:30 p.m.

Just for everyones info
I wish they would bring back the pay so much and get to beat the heck out of some old car with a sledge hammer spray painted with the team name your playing all over it on homecoming week.:Clap: The last one I remember was Against West Carter.
ryanparker Wrote:Thanks for the info. I wonder how many more games he is out for??? I hope he makes it back soon.

Out two games, should play Friday.
I say Russell does win this one but I say by less than 6 pts. Russell's strong point is their defense but they have no offense other than Jones and that is going to come back and haunt them in the long run, especially now that district play has started.
It might be a close game. But, Russell gets the win and has a happy homecoming.

Russell by 7
RedDevil1981 Wrote:The 10 rushes included taking a knee the last 3 plays of the game for -1 yd per snap. Sacks also count against the quarterback as well as bad snaps. It is tough for any of the quarterbacks going laterally from under center to build up much momentum since they all have defenders hanging on them from the time they receive the snap. With that said I don't know why they substituted in #15 instead of the senior Sparks. Unless they recruit Tim Tebow no matter who they put at qb this year will struggle and take the heat for an offensive line that is undersized. I don't know about the leadership in the huddle but I do agree with Wildcat that this team is taking a lot of heat for their performances yet has out performed expectations and seem to support each other more than any Russell team I've seen the past several years and definitely more than some of the people on this webpage. Go Russell - quit reading this junk and focus on Fleming. Leave to bickering to us has-beens and never-were. :worthy:

I wasn't at the game so I didn't know about the 3 knee downs but the stats say no sacks So that would leave you with 7 rushes for about 11 or 12 yards. That is still horrible. I base my opinion on performance, and 6 games into the season it is not there at all at the QB position. Every week I read how they are struggling on offense from the coaching staff and the games I have been to, the other two QB's have done better and have more experience. I know from what I have seen that they need to substitute more at all positions especially the line. Give the starters a play or two break and keep them as fresh as possible. Work is killing me. I will miss this one too. I don't have access to anything to get updates either...oh well GO DEVILS..
luvthegame Wrote:I wasn't at the game so I didn't know about the 3 knee downs but the stats say no sacks So that would leave you with 7 rushes for about 11 or 12 yards. That is still horrible. I base my opinion on performance, and 6 games into the season it is not there at all at the QB position. Every week I read how they are struggling on offense from the coaching staff and the games I have been to, the other two QB's have done better and have more experience. I know from what I have seen that they need to substitute more at all positions especially the line. Give the starters a play or two break and keep them as fresh as possible. Work is killing me. I will miss this one too. I don't have access to anything to get updates either...oh well GO DEVILS..

I was forced to miss the last game as well due to work. I check the updates on here using my iphone though. You should invest in one! :biggrin:
luvthegame Wrote:I wasn't at the game so I didn't know about the 3 knee downs but the stats say no sacks So that would leave you with 7 rushes for about 11 or 12 yards. That is still horrible. I base my opinion on performance, and 6 games into the season it is not there at all at the QB position. Every week I read how they are struggling on offense from the coaching staff and the games I have been to, the other two QB's have done better and have more experience. I know from what I have seen that they need to substitute more at all positions especially the line. Give the starters a play or two break and keep them as fresh as possible. Work is killing me. I will miss this one too. I don't have access to anything to get updates either...oh well GO DEVILS..

From what I've heard they have given up on all 3 quarterbacks and Pat Cooper is starting.
RedDevil1981 Wrote:From what I've heard they have given up on all 3 quarterbacks and Pat Cooper is starting.

This would be a most unusual move.
This is very unusual. From what Ive heard, Cooper is a very athletic and speedy player. I dont know how good he is from under center. I was hoping they would start Sparks over Cooper who has know varsity QB experience. This is a very odd move by the coaches.
Cooper has always been a running back. He has good speed and along with the return of White-Reed could provide more balance to the running game for Russell.

I doubt the coaching staff has "given up" on anybody but this could be a spark to what has been a very one dementional offense.
Russell by 3 tds
If this information about Cooper starting at QB is true, I just think it's sort of odd that this will be the 4th QB we've seen so far this year and it isn't due to injury.

My hope is that he can run effectively enough to give us a threat from that position. I sort of thought that the blocking was the reason that we weren't getting significant yards from that play, but maybe he can prove differently. He needs to be able to complete passes as well. Even in the years when Russell excelled at running the ball from a variety of positions, we need to complete a few passes against the better teams (and it would be nice to do so on 1st down occasionally) in order to really sustain drives.

I hope we see an inspired performance out of the entire team tonight. Last week was a good win against a West Carter team that many thought might beat Russell this year. Next week is the top district game of the season at the number 1 or 2 (depending on which poll you prefer) ranked team in class 3A. It would be nice to see an impressive performance tonight. GO DEVILS!
BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING, is the problem. I have said all along that the line needs changes,"major". Most of the yardage that Jones gets is on his own. Line does not contain there blocks. They hit once and look. Instead of move the player. Back side blocking from the opposite of the running side is just not there. The guards are getting slower. Probably from going both ways with no breather. Put Rice as the other wing back and give him some carries and put Davidson at the FB just because of his size and can help block where the guard pulls. Russell should win but if they play the way they did against West it could be ugly.