Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fleming County @ Russell 10/2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can Russell get another big district,home coming Victory?

Russell comes in at 4-2 and Fleming County comes in at 3-2
ttt
Red Devils in this one.
Russell 28

Fleming County 7
Russell
Russell 28-14
I cant believe people were picking West to beat Russell and now they are picking Russell to blow Fleming out!!! Ask Raceland if Fleming is no good! They beat Raceland when Fleming was without several starters. Those kids are back now and they are finding their groove. I don't think Fleming will blow Russell out, but I do think they have a great shot at beating them. If they limit thier turnovers and special team mistakes (what killed them in their 2 losses) they will be right in the game:redboxer:
Russell by 7. Good luck to both teams.
Some games games of note since you want to bring up Raceland. Rowan County 56 Fleming 26 Rowan County 28 Boyd County 13

Russell 22 Boyd County 0

On paper it seems like Russell is the clear Favorite But that's why they play the game.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Some games games of note since you want to bring up Raceland. Rowan County 56 Fleming 26 Rowan County 28 Boyd County 13

Russell 22 Boyd County 0

On paper it seems like Russell is the clear Favorite But that's why they play the game.

I don't think you get an accurate assessment by comparing games like that. I am sure the wet conditions played a part in the Rowan/Boyd game. Cross does a lot of cutting and juking and he was probably slowed some in the mud. I have seen Russell play and they are good, but they do not have a Darrell Cross for Fleming to have to chase around!!!
Also, I did not mention a score in my reference to Raceland, I just said ask them if they think Fleming is no good.
ewingpirate Wrote:I don't think you get an accurate assessment by comparing games like that. I am sure the wet conditions played a part in the Rowan/Boyd game. Cross does a lot of cutting and juking and he was probably slowed some in the mud. I have seen Russell play and they are good, but they do not have a Darrell Cross for Fleming to have to chase around!!!
Also, I did not mention a score in my reference to Raceland, I just said ask them if they think Fleming is no good.
I don't think the wet conditions played part in 56 points being put up on fleming if anything the wet condition would have made it tougher to score.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I don't think the wet conditions played part in 56 points being put up on fleming if anything the wet condition would have made it tougher to score.
My point exactly. It was dry when Rowan scored 56 on Fleming. They scored everyway imaginagable: punt return, kickoff return, etc... Being wet at Boyd probably slowed them down some.
ewingpirate Wrote:My point exactly. It was dry when Rowan scored 56 on Fleming. They scored everyway imaginagable: punt return, kickoff return, etc... Being wet at Boyd probably slowed them down some.

May have slowed them down but not a 30 point difference. I think some credit has to go to boyd for slowing rowan down.
ewingpirate Wrote:I cant believe people were picking West to beat Russell and now they are picking Russell to blow Fleming out!!! Ask Raceland if Fleming is no good! They beat Raceland when Fleming was without several starters. Those kids are back now and they are finding their groove. I don't think Fleming will blow Russell out, but I do think they have a great shot at beating them. If they limit thier turnovers and special team mistakes (what killed them in their 2 losses) they will be right in the game:redboxer:

I think this will be a tight game, like the West Carter game, also give us a gauge to tell how the Raceland vs Russell game might turn out, later this season.:eyeroll:
should be a good game
ewingpirate Wrote:I don't think you get an accurate assessment by comparing games like that. I am sure the wet conditions played a part in the Rowan/Boyd game. Cross does a lot of cutting and juking and he was probably slowed some in the mud. I have seen Russell play and they are good, but they do not have a Darrell Cross for Fleming to have to chase around!!!

No one said that Fleming County is no good, Russell is just a LITTLE better. IMO
Russell's defense is impressive. If Russell pulls their act together on the O-line, they will be able to actually compete with Mason County. Jones is a beast, the yards he has carried the ball is with little blocking. QB position is still a problem.
I believe that this will be a much closer game than some may expect. I still believe that Russell has the edge if their d-fence comes to play on Friday night. The whole Russell teamed seemed to be very flat in the game last Friday. They better come ready to play for this one or it could get ugly. With all that said, I belive Russell will take this by 7-10 points.

Russell 14
Fleming County 7

Lets go get another WIN Devils!!!
4real Wrote:Russell's defense is impressive. If Russell pulls their act together on the O-line, they will be able to actually compete with Mason County. Jones is a beast, the yards he has carried the ball is with little blocking. QB position is still a problem.

Jones has done a very nice job this year in marching them down the field. He is a very hard nose runner and that what Russell needs with the "weakness" of their O-line this year.

As for the QB, you will have your growning pains in starting a Sophmore as your QB. With that said though, it will pay off next year and the year after when the kid is more comfortable with the position and more ready to be the leader of the team.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that this is Logan DeHoff's first year at QB. Before this year I thought that he had always been the big running back for his grade. If this is true. It takes time to change from a position such as running back to quarterback. Give the kid a chance and lets see what he can do.
4real Wrote:Russell's defense is impressive. If Russell pulls their act together on the O-line, they will be able to actually compete with Mason County. Jones is a beast, the yards he has carried the ball is with little blocking. QB position is still a problem.

The QB position is always a problem at any level when the blocking is not there.
Logan DeHoff will be just fine. I see him getting better with each game he plays.
In Russell's past - if the pressure is on the qb that means that the team is playing from behind. Any qb that drops back with very little protection will struggle. I thought DeHoff made some decent passes for handling a wet ball with his receivers slipping all over the field. He was hit while releasing the ball on the one pic he threw. I still think the success in the next couple of years will be getting some linemen in the weight room and not trying to spread the field with the Wing-T. If they want to stay with the wing T at least they could move their full back over 2 feet and let the qb go out of a shotgun formation.
Russell 21 Fleming Co 14
Pretty good matchup here, but I like the Devils to win this one by 2-3 TD's.

Good luck to both teams!
Jeepman Wrote:Logan DeHoff will be just fine. I see him getting better with each game he plays.

Agreed! :Thumbs:
RedDevil1981 Wrote:In Russell's past - if the pressure is on the qb that means that the team is playing from behind. Any qb that drops back with very little protection will struggle. I thought DeHoff made some decent passes for handling a wet ball with his receivers slipping all over the field. He was hit while releasing the ball on the one pic he threw. I still think the success in the next couple of years will be getting some linemen in the weight room and not trying to spread the field with the Wing-T. If they want to stay with the wing T at least they could move their full back over 2 feet and let the qb go out of a shotgun formation.

I completely agree with what was said here. I have known McGlone for 20+ years now and love the man to death but some things need to change. You hit the two major changes needed on the head. If you look at any of the succesfull teams around the area/state/country...the ones that always seem to be competing for titles and always seem to produce top notch teams are the teams with excellent weight lifting programs.

As for your second point, the Wing-T was great when you had Josh Gross and Kasey Clark in the back field with an above average size O-line. With a team that is smaller in size the shotgun gives you many more play call options, leaving the defence on their toes. A perfect example of this was the Ashland game. Russell had no idea what play was coming when Ashland walked to the line where as Ashland was stocking the box because it was very obvious what was coming.

Go Devils! :devilflam
To be honest Fleming isn't very good. As a team they are big kids, the line is large but slow, I know the russell team is stronger because I've been to some wieght meets they were at. The smith kid for russell is one of the strongest in the area. Russell will beat this team by 14+. If Raceland played them today they would beat them 14+, alot of mistakes that game that has been fixed.:Thumbs:
Jeepman Wrote:Logan DeHoff will be just fine. I see him getting better with each game he plays.

In exactly what way? Last game 10 rushes for 8 yards. 1-6 passing with another int. He did get on the board with a TD pass so that is an improvement. But geez! Everyone said he got the job because he ran better. He is now 28 rushes for 68 yards. 2.4 yds a carry lowest among all regular players. He has the worst passing stats by far on the team. Every week you read in the paper how Russell's offense is struggling. Yeah their O-line needs to do better or maybe they need some leadership in the huddle?
Look at Red Devil Sports football page. Great stat keeping there.
luvthegame Wrote:In exactly what way? Last game 10 rushes for 8 yards. 1-6 passing with another int. He did get on the board with a TD pass so that is an improvement. But geez! Everyone said he got the job because he ran better. He is now 28 rushes for 68 yards. 2.4 yds a carry lowest among all regular players. He has the worst passing stats by far on the team. Every week you read in the paper how Russell's offense is struggling. Yeah their O-line needs to do better or maybe they need some leadership in the huddle?

:thatsfunn

I'm just interested in who you believe should start then? The stats show 28 rushes for 68 yards but I would venture to say a decent amount of those yards were after the first hit. Where as the other two qb's would have most likely had a lot less yards than that. And as for the 2.4 yards a carry...I may be wrong but would you not expect your qb to have the lowest yards per carry on the team. Correct me if I am wrong there. And I'm not saying that you do not know football but fyi: every time that DeHoff takes a sack in the back field that counts agaisnt his rushing stats. So there is one major variable that affects the yds/carry if your so interested in stats.

Leadership in the huddle? Could you please explain what you mean by this. I was impressed by the chemistry of the team this year!
luvthegame Wrote:In exactly what way? Last game 10 rushes for 8 yards. 1-6 passing with another int. He did get on the board with a TD pass so that is an improvement. But geez! Everyone said he got the job because he ran better. He is now 28 rushes for 68 yards. 2.4 yds a carry lowest among all regular players. He has the worst passing stats by far on the team. Every week you read in the paper how Russell's offense is struggling. Yeah their O-line needs to do better or maybe they need some leadership in the huddle?

The 10 rushes included taking a knee the last 3 plays of the game for -1 yd per snap. Sacks also count against the quarterback as well as bad snaps. It is tough for any of the quarterbacks going laterally from under center to build up much momentum since they all have defenders hanging on them from the time they receive the snap. With that said I don't know why they substituted in #15 instead of the senior Sparks. Unless they recruit Tim Tebow no matter who they put at qb this year will struggle and take the heat for an offensive line that is undersized. I don't know about the leadership in the huddle but I do agree with Wildcat that this team is taking a lot of heat for their performances yet has out performed expectations and seem to support each other more than any Russell team I've seen the past several years and definitely more than some of the people on this webpage. Go Russell - quit reading this junk and focus on Fleming. Leave to bickering to us has-beens and never-were. :worthy:
Pages: 1 2