Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 54 Belfry 28
Good luck to both teams in the playoffs. Being able to kick the ball into the end zone is a nice weapon.
This was the most exciting game that JC has played this year. Belfry has a first class team and supporters!! But getting out of the parking lot back onto the highway is terrible. I truly want to wish Belfry the best of luck the rest of the year. SO GO WIN THE STATE CHAMPIOSHIP GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diogenes Wrote:17 is Truman Salyer. He is a basketball player who came out this year and has been a huge asset to the football team. He's a good 6'5-6", strong, can block and run well, and has very good hands at TE. And he has a little nasty streak, which is not a bad thing at all. He'll hit you. Hard. Not dirty. But aggressive.

He is a weapon.

The difference in the game (besides JC dominating the LOS on offense) was the fact JC was either 3/3 or 4/4 on 4th Down Conversions and all of those drives culminated with a TD. On a night like last night a 4th Down stand would have been a 14 point swing almost assuredly.

Salyer was the recipient of two of those conversions if I am not mistaken and Adkins had another on an acrobatic catch where Belfry had great position. He is a weapon and he also did a great job blocking throughout the night.
Hopefully JC is just truly on another level. Belfry isn't going to beat anyone by shutting them down. Most porous defense in years for the pirates. But I suppose you can expect that with all the youth and inexperience on the field. Having Hatfield out there on defense would have helped fractionally but not been a game changing event IMO.

Belfry fans (myself included) love to brag on the fact we only play a few guys both ways. I think you can at least ask the question whether or not a kid like Carr or Francis could help some on the defensive side of the ball.
Great win for the eagles!! I would love to see them get over the hump and go all the way. Too many great teams not to have a state championship.
Congrats to JC. You shattered my dreams. keep up the good work I'm pulling for ya to bring home the gold.
If you take away the 2 or 3 fumbles the fumble on the 5 yard line that game would have been different JC has a good offense and I think if our defense would have came out the first half like it did the second the outcome may have been different.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Johnson 169
Carr 110 3 TD
350 yards

Young 30 carries, 255 yards, 5 TD
394 rush yards, 434 yards total

Didn't get a chance to listen to the game. Was Belcher hurt?
dns Wrote:Didn't get a chance to listen to the game. Was Belcher hurt?

Belcher played and had the first TD of the game on a 61 yard run.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Hopefully JC is just truly on another level. Belfry isn't going to beat anyone by shutting them down. Most porous defense in years for the pirates. But I suppose you can expect that with all the youth and inexperience on the field. Having Hatfield out there on defense would have helped fractionally but not been a game changing event IMO.

Belfry fans (myself included) love to brag on the fact we only play a few guys both ways. I think you can at least ask the question whether or not a kid like Carr or Francis could help some on the defensive side of the ball.

Hatfield on D is not the straw that stirs this Belfry team. Hatfield at FB is the key. The D is what it is. Nothing personal against the middle linebackers, but they are by far the weakest link on this team.
Belfry_ Wrote:If you take away the 2 or 3 fumbles the fumble on the 5 yard line that game would have been different JC has a good offense and I think if our defense would have came out the first half like it did the second the outcome may have been different.

Unfortunately you can't do that.

JC could also say that if the Hurdling Call had been made (as it should have been) and the Helmet-To-Helmet Call and Pass Interference Call (both bad calls IMO) had not been made on Belfry's last TD Drive, that would have taken 2 Belfry scores off the board and there would have been a running clock.

I think JC was only +1 in turnovers. Belfry lost 2 and JC lost 1.

I love this series!! These are two outstanding programs that bring the best out in each other. I hope it continues for many years.
khsgamenight Wrote:Unfortunately you can't do that.

JC could also say that if the Hurdling Call had been made (as it should have been) and the Helmet-To-Helmet Call and Pass Interference Call (both bad calls IMO) had not been made on Belfry's last TD Drive, that would have taken 2 Belfry scores off the board and there would have been a running clock.

I think JC was only +1 in turnovers. Belfry lost 2 and JC lost 1.

I love this series!! These are two outstanding programs that bring the best out in each other. I hope it continues for many years.

The hurdling wouldn't be called because there would be a mutiny by the Pond Creek folks lol...the pass interference was a good defensive play IMO....and you have to protect the head of the players, especially the QB...no contact to the head should be allowed IMO.
Belfry_ Wrote:If you take away the 2 or 3 fumbles the fumble on the 5 yard line that game would have been different JC has a good offense and I think if our defense would have came out the first half like it did the second the outcome may have been different.

If BHS players were bigger, stronger, and faster they might have won...JC was dominant and penalties and turnovers are part of the game for both teams.
bucslover68 Wrote:Belcher played and had the first TD of the game on a 61 yard run.

Thanks, I seen some stats. and it only mentioned one running back. I would be right to say Dillion played also?
dns Wrote:Thanks, I seen some stats. and it only mentioned one running back. I would be right to say Dillion played also?

Yep Dillon played well and had a nice 16 yard TD run late in the game...I'm not sure about all the individual stats.
Post 73 is right on. Belfry just isn't quite there from a personnel standpoint defensively. Still plenty of ball to play this year but you have to hope getting mauled physically like this would motivate the kids to get bigger, stronger, and faster this offseason. Usually the team that is those three things wins.

I wasn't there but I'm guessing Horton got manhandled. Good learning experience for him and the other young Pirates. Some humble pie can be a good meal, especially this time of the year.
Diogenes Wrote:17 is Truman Salyer. He is a basketball player who came out this year and has been a huge asset to the football team. He's a good 6'5-6", strong, can block and run well, and has very good hands at TE. And he has a little nasty streak, which is not a bad thing at all. He'll hit you. Hard. Not dirty. But aggressive.

He was also the quarterback for the middle school team, and at the time could sling it too.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Is there always a terrible sewer smell on the visitors side bleachers?

Depends on who the visitors are.:ChairHit:
I agree with you. Your best 11 players should be on the field. It is win or go home from this point.
running_clock Wrote:Finally!

Someone knocked Belfry down to reality!

why cause ur team cant?
also something to note for Belfry defense and give JC coaches credit for this,Coach Mickey said JC OL was going right at both fresmen DE for Belfry and using a blocking scheme or schemes they probally haven't seen and was just wearing them at all night long..
bucslover68 Wrote:Yep Dillon played well and had a nice 16 yard TD run late in the game...I'm not sure about all the individual stats.

No one posted them, but I got on line and read the Ashland Dailey.. Good article and an interesting quote By JC coach. You all have to read it, cant remember the exact quote.
OffTheHook Wrote:^Kinda like baseball games at the old Sheldon Clark field...LOL.
Or the football games at Sheldon Clark's field lol
I will be honest, I haven't read anything about this thread but the final score. Shocking? Yes. But I truly believe after seeing both teams that BOTH can and will win a state championship. I know all the Yankees will condemn me but I truly have faith in JC. As far as Belfry I truly have faith in the mountain boys over the V'ille, you know the CITY boys. It is playoff time and it is time for the mountain people to stick together. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!
Two best teams in the Mountains in their respective class.
Twitter: @tc_analytics