Poll: Who will win district
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Harlan Co
90.00%
Perry Co. Central
7.50%
Whitley Co.
0%
Letcher Co. Central
2.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 5A District 8
HDE Wrote:I don't get the logic on that one. Harlan County may not be the favorite, but I think they have to be in the mix.

Highlands beat Harlan County 34-6 in last year's state semifinals, then beat Christian County 50-0 in the finals. Harlan County sure looks to be better than last season.

That was last year.
I fully believe Harlan Co. will win the east.
But in the state championship game against BG or JH, they will get a running clock against them. Its just the difference in talent level and skill
MVP2 Wrote:I think the Black Bears take district again.

Perry should finish 2nd, if they dont have a meltdown like last season after the first 5 games.

Whitley and LCC are a toss up IMO on who will finish 3rd. If Logan Johnson came back I'll take the Cougars for 3rd place but without him, I dont think they'll be able to do much.

1.Harlan Co.
2.Perry Central
3.Whitley
4.Letcher Central.

I agree with your assessment. As far as HC and PCC in their district matchup in a couple of weeks I think Harlan Co.'s physical play will cramp PCC's style and make them too uncomfortable to get their finess style passing game rolling.
CanYouLiveWithoutIt Wrote:I think the Bears will win the district but like RIUTG I think that 2-4 could be a tie. If Johnson comes back LCC could makes some noise, and that tough schedule is goin to help Whitley(unless it comes to a tie-breaker), but when it comes down to it I think PCC will shed the history of collapsing down the stretch and even win a playoff game.

So I'll go with:
1. Harlan Co.
2. Perry
3. Whitley
4. Letcher

I have been told many times on here that a tough schedule doesn't matter.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That was last year.
But in the state championship game against BG or JH, they will get a running clock against them. Its just the difference in talent level and skill

Does this mean that last year there was not a huge difference in talent or skill between HC and HHS? they didn't run the clock. They did with about 8 to go in the third against CCHS
It's interesting that the skill level between east and west has shifted so much in one year.
Things usually change kind of slowly at the high school level. It's not like you are signing a bunch of free agents and recruiting a bunch of blue chip prospects.
I agree with you HDE. I am not saying that the teams in the west are not good, but I have been to the state championships many times and watched teams from the west get beaten badly more times than the west has done it to teams from the east. I believe that HC is one of the top 3 teams in 5A. I have not watched the teams from the west so I have a biased opinion.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:That was last year.

A running clock? If Highlands didn't have a running clock against Harlan County I really doubt Bowling Green or John Hardin will. Teams do change, but Harlan County returned a lot from last year's team. If anything, they are farther along at this point this season than they were last year.
I wonder how many people have watched Christian County, Bowling Green and Harlan County play this year.
If you just look at the Cantrall Ratings, it does look like a blowout.
The difference is obvious....The teams from the west are on PED's...lol.

It's like a time warp formed out west.....and they took a quantum leap forward.

Nobody has ran the clock on us and neither will any of them.....Keep thinking you will and you might just go home with you ass whipped by what you think are a bunch of "dumb ass hillbillies".

Like I've said from day one.....If you want some come and get it.
HarlanCountyCard Wrote:A running clock? If Highlands didn't have a running clock against Harlan County I really doubt Bowling Green or John Hardin will. Teams do change, but Harlan County returned a lot from last year's team. If anything, they are farther along at this point this season than they were last year.

IDK why HC fans would get upset. Making the state championship game would be a great accomplishment and they might play one of those teams close in that game.
But put aside your love for HC and your unwillingness to realize that they are not the best and you will understand what im trying to say.
Im all for supporting your team, but if HC played both BG and JH this year, it would be a one sided affair IMO.
Until they prove me wrong, i say HC will make it to state, only to get blown out in the title game
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:IDK why HC fans would get upset. Making the state championship game would be a great accomplishment and they might play one of those teams close in that game.
But put aside your love for HC and your unwillingness to realize that they are not the best and you will understand what im trying to say.
Im all for supporting your team, but if HC played both BG and JH this year, it would be a one sided affair IMO.
Until they prove me wrong, i say HC will make it to state, only to get blown out in the title game

I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that you haven't watched either of those two teams play a game live this year. What are you basing your judgement on?
I would LOVE to make the state championship game!!! And I'm not upset with you Gut, I just don't agree with you.

I saw BG play in the iHigh Bowl in Fayette County at the first of the season. Their QB is phenomenal. It would be the best team IMO, that HC has faced this year, but I see HC winning over BG. I don't think BG is as strong as HC overall.

JH is another story. I saw them play the second game of the season. They are well rounded, and if they lose any starters they have 12 more to back them up, losing little talent....well maybe 12 is an exaggeration. This would be THE championship game as far as I'm concerned. Unless there were injuries, this game could go to OT.....with HC pulling it out, of course.

Anything can happen in play off games, that's why they are so exciting.

Go Black Bears!!
I saw the iHigh games, too when Bowling Green played. I also saw John Hardin at Lexington Catholic, I believe it was at the end of August.

Any match up of these two teams against Harlan County would be a slobberknocker. Guarantee you that BOTH teams would know the next day that they had been in a football game the night before!! But, I would predict the Black Bears on top by the game's end.

Running clock, RIUTG???? Oh, ye of little faith!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I saw the iHigh games, too when Bowling Green played. I also saw John Hardin at Lexington Catholic, I believe it was at the end of August.

Any match up of these two teams against Harlan County would be a slobberknocker. Guarantee you that BOTH teams would know the next day that they had been in a football game the night before!! But, I would predict the Black Bears on top by the game's end.

Running clock, RIUTG???? Oh, ye of little faith!!

I was definitely exaggerating when i said running clock lol.

To an earlier post, no i havent see either play except for a little live streaming.
Im with you all in hoping HC wins it all. Hell, it makes our district and region look so good for that to happen.

The Harlan Co/Bell game will let us know if HC is ready for those teams.
Bell County would lose to both of those teams. So can Harlan Co. keep up with Bell this year.
IMO, Bowling Green isnt only the best team in 5A. They could quite possibly be the second best team in the state behind Trinity. They could even be better than Highlands.
It just seems like a far stretch to me when it comes to whether or not a team like ares (Whitley and Harlan) can keep up with a team like that. Our styles of football is just totally different.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was definitely exaggerating when i said running clock lol.

To an earlier post, no i havent see either play except for a little live streaming.
Im with you all in hoping HC wins it all. Hell, it makes our district and region look so good for that to happen.

The Harlan Co/Bell game will let us know if HC is ready for those teams.
Bell County would lose to both of those teams. So can Harlan Co. keep up with Bell this year.
IMO, Bowling Green isnt only the best team in 5A. They could quite possibly be the second best team in the state behind Trinity. They could even be better than Highlands.
It just seems like a far stretch to me when it comes to whether or not a team like ares (Whitley and Harlan) can keep up with a team like that. Our styles of football is just totally different.

You are right on target about the Harlan/Bell game. It will be very telling!!

I only saw Bowling Green play one time, and that was the very first game of the season...that said; I just do not see them being as good as you do. For the game I saw them play, the quarter back was their best running back. And even though they are less finesse than John Hardin, they weren't all that smashmouth to me.

Time will tell....IF HC makes it and IF they are paired up with BG in Louisville, I will meet you at the game with a Black Bear T-shirt that I fully expect you wear for the entire day!!!! PM me your size!!!

Confusednicker:Confusednicker:
bears will most likely win district but i do belive whitley will come in second after an impressive win agianst somerset