Poll: Who will win district
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Harlan Co
90.00%
Perry Co. Central
7.50%
Whitley Co.
0%
Letcher Co. Central
2.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 5A District 8
With district play beginning in a couple of week how does this distrcit look?
Obviously Harlan Co. is the favorite, Perry has had a good year thus far at 5-1 , and Whitley and Letcher have had less than favorable seasons due to Whitley tough scheduling and inexperience and Letchers injuries.

Personally i see Harlan Co. sweeping the district and winning it.
The next 3 teams IMO could go any way.
Perry obviously has a hard time stopping the run and its all Whitley does and while Whitley could beat Perry, Whitley cant stop the pass and that will lead to a PCC win IMO.
Letcher will pick up and upset somewhere, maybe over PCC, but if they do there liable to lose to Whitley.
We could very well see a three way tie for second in the district.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?
Can i get a mod to add a poll to this thread?
Harlan Co.
Whitley Co.
Perry Co.
Letcher Co.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Can i get a mod to add a poll to this thread?
Harlan Co.
Whitley Co.
Perry Co.
Letcher Co.

Done.
^
Thank you good sir
I think the Black Bears take district again.

Perry should finish 2nd, if they dont have a meltdown like last season after the first 5 games.

Whitley and LCC are a toss up IMO on who will finish 3rd. If Logan Johnson came back I'll take the Cougars for 3rd place but without him, I dont think they'll be able to do much.

1.Harlan Co.
2.Perry Central
3.Whitley
4.Letcher Central.
^
I can agree with that
bears should take district agian without any problems.
I think the Bears will win the district but like RIUTG I think that 2-4 could be a tie. If Johnson comes back LCC could makes some noise, and that tough schedule is goin to help Whitley(unless it comes to a tie-breaker), but when it comes down to it I think PCC will shed the history of collapsing down the stretch and even win a playoff game.

So I'll go with:
1. Harlan Co.
2. Perry
3. Whitley
4. Letcher
I dont think perry will have a meltdown. Every team has atleast one bad game this was it. They needa put this behind them and take are of business this coming friday. They have a good coach that will take them places this year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:With district play beginning in a couple of week how does this distrcit look?
Obviously Harlan Co. is the favorite, Perry has had a good year thus far at 5-1 , and Whitley and Letcher have had less than favorable seasons due to Whitley tough scheduling and inexperience and Letchers injuries.

Personally i see Harlan Co. sweeping the district and winning it.
The next 3 teams IMO could go any way.
Perry obviously has a hard time stopping the run and its all Whitley does and while Whitley could beat Perry, Whitley cant stop the pass and that will lead to a PCC win IMO.
Letcher will pick up and upset somewhere, maybe over PCC, but if they do there liable to lose to Whitley.
We could very well see a three way tie for second in the district.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?
RIUTG,

I agree with you completely. It would not surprise me one bit to see either Whitley or Letcher one pull an upset over Perry, that would likely create a three way tie. (All this is pending the return of Johnson for Letcher)

But honestly the only thing that would surprise me in this district is if Harlan didn't win it.
If Logan Johnson doesn't return:

1. Harlan Co.
2. Perry Central
3. Whitley Co.
4. Letcher

If Logan Johnson DOES return:

1. Harlan Co.
2. Perry Central
3. Letcher Central
4. Whitley Co.
Harlan co. easily and probaly region, pcc might sneak and win its really a two horse race, quite possible the region championship game is between them 2
After seeing what Rock done to PCC, Whitleys chances are looking better against PCC
Harlen is very tough this year, I would have to take them for winning this district.
I think that if there's a race, then it's a race for second. Harlan Co should win hands down, but 2nd could really go to any of the other three. PCC might be a slight favorite over LCC and WC, but I think it's slight at this point. I'm going:

1) Harlan Co
2) PCC
3) Whitley
4) LCC

If it rains before any of the games:

1) Harlan Co
2) Whitley
3) LCC
4) PCC
CanYouLiveWithoutIt Wrote:I think the Bears will win the district but like RIUTG I think that 2-4 could be a tie. If Johnson comes back LCC could makes some noise, and that tough schedule is goin to help Whitley(unless it comes to a tie-breaker), but when it comes down to it I think PCC will shed the history of collapsing down the stretch and even win a playoff game.

So I'll go with:
1. Harlan Co.
2. Perry
3. Whitley
4. Letcher

Looks right to me. :Thumbs:
is harlan co the favorite to win state?
laker20 Wrote:I think that if there's a race, then it's a race for second. Harlan Co should win hands down, but 2nd could really go to any of the other three. PCC might be a slight favorite over LCC and WC, but I think it's slight at this point. I'm going:

1) Harlan Co
2) PCC
3) Whitley
4) LCC

If it rains before any of the games:

1) Harlan Co
2) Whitley
3) LCC
4) PCC

I couldnt have said it better. Rain is Perry's kryptonite.
If it rains before the PCC/Whitley game, put me down for Whitley by 3 scores.
truthbetold Wrote:is harlan co the favorite to win state?

No.
They have a decent shot at coming out of the east but the west is where the tough competetion is at in 5A this year.
IMHO, i dont see Harlan County playing anywhere near Bowling Green or John Hardin or even Christian County which is the 3 teams believed to be the favorites in the west.
its obvious who i voted for:eyeroll:

BUT.... in reality... Harlan Co
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:No.
They have a decent shot at coming out of the east but the west is where the tough competetion is at in 5A this year.
IMHO, i dont see Harlan County playing anywhere near Bowling Green or John Hardin or even Christian County which is the 3 teams believed to be the favorites in the west.

I don't get the logic on that one. Harlan County may not be the favorite, but I think they have to be in the mix.

Highlands beat Harlan County 34-6 in last year's state semifinals, then beat Christian County 50-0 in the finals. Harlan County sure looks to be better than last season.
MVP2 Wrote:I think the Black Bears take district again.

Perry should finish 2nd, if they dont have a meltdown like last season after the first 5 games.

Whitley and LCC are a toss up IMO on who will finish 3rd. If Logan Johnson came back I'll take the Cougars for 3rd place but without him, I dont think they'll be able to do much.

1.Harlan Co.
2.Perry Central
3.Whitley
4.Letcher Central.
I agree with this 100%
I feel the Harlan Co. Black Bears win the District.
The Black Bears should win the district hands down! Here is how I think it will look at the end of the regular season.

1. Harlan Co.(3-0) Best team that they have had in the school's short history.
2. Perry Co. Central(2-1) Playing very good but, they can't seem to get over the hump when playing the best of the best.
3. Whitley Co.(1-2) Could possibly provide a scare for the Dores as they have played a very tough schedule thus far.
4. Letcher Co. Central(0-3) Too many injuries and it just seems to be getting worse everytime they take the field as far as the injuries are concerned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
HDE Wrote:I don't get the logic on that one. Harlan County may not be the favorite, but I think they have to be in the mix.

Highlands beat Harlan County 34-6 in last year's state semifinals, then beat Christian County 50-0 in the finals. Harlan County sure looks to be better than last season.

With a running clock early in the 3rd qtr. I might add.......HC - HHS was 14-7 at the half including a 1st play from scrimmage fumble recovery for a TD.
Bear_Paw Wrote:With a running clock early in the 3rd qtr. I might add.......HC - HHS was 14-7 at the half including a 1st play from scrimmage fumble recovery for a TD.

This Isnt Last Year. Those Who Live In The Past Are Certain To Miss The Future
HDE Wrote:I don't get the logic on that one. Harlan County may not be the favorite, but I think they have to be in the mix.

This is not Christian Co of 2010. Christian Co, Bowling Green, and John Hopkins have all proven themselves against teams that we are all familiar with. That's why, as RIUTG said, they are "believed" to be the best teams in 5A.

You simply aren't going to earn respect (or rankings) by playing out of state teams that no one is familiar with. How does someone that's not a fan of or at least attended a HC game know how good they are? There's no real games for comparison prior to the KC game. So, how do you expect someone in Western Ky to consider that you're a contender for the state title? If the goal was to be higher ranked or to be considered a contendor half way throught the season, then your coach shouldn't have scheduled 3 or your first 5 teams against OOS opponents. However, I don't think that's his goal. I would imagine he scheduled picked the teams that he though would best prepare HCHS for district / playoffs. I'm sure he could care less about where your ranked or whether your considered a contender or not.

You guys know how good you are....you've seen them practice, you've watched them play several times. The rest of us haven't and and only have a couple of teams to use as measuring sticks. Does any of that matter............I don't think so......November does.
laker20 Wrote:This is not Christian Co of 2010. Christian Co, Bowling Green, and John Hopkins have all proven themselves against teams that we are all familiar with. That's why, as RIUTG said, they are "believed" to be the best teams in 5A.

You simply aren't going to earn respect (or rankings) by playing out of state teams that no one is familiar with. How does someone that's not a fan of or at least attended a HC game know how good they are? There's no real games for comparison prior to the KC game. So, how do you expect someone in Western Ky to consider that you're a contender for the state title? If the goal was to be higher ranked or to be considered a contendor half way throught the season, then your coach shouldn't have scheduled 3 or your first 5 teams against OOS opponents. However, I don't think that's his goal. I would imagine he scheduled picked the teams that he though would best prepare HCHS for district / playoffs. I'm sure he could care less about where your ranked or whether your considered a contender or not.

You guys know how good you are....you've seen them practice, you've watched them play several times. The rest of us haven't and and only have a couple of teams to use as measuring sticks. Does any of that matter............I don't think so......November does.

You are right I doubt seriously that our Coach cares what we are ranked this time of the season.
I do wish that everyone who critisizes our OOS opponents would be able to live here for a week and understand that traveling to Virginia is easier than traveling into Kentucky. Only Bell Co. would play, Corbin refused multiple times, Middlesboro, Laurels, hazard, Knox agreed late in the year finally. We play Letcher, Perry and Whitley are district so I cant figure out who else we could have played that would be near as close. It isnt like any coach gets the pick of his litter.
rebel 4 life Wrote:This Isnt Last Year. Those Who Live In The Past Are Certain To Miss The Future

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it also.

Christian County could absolutley do nothing withHHS last year and we rushed for 300 yards compared to Blumes 172 against the Birds and Christian Co.s 50 yards.

Christian lost a bunch from last season too.

No one is saying either is any better but it is hard to say that Cjhristian is better for a fact like some act like.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:No.
It's amazing how some folks talk about how great the top 4 rated teams in 5A are and talk like HC is a distant 5th?? Especially when most of the people talking havent seen a single one of those 4 teams play? I will concede one fact and that is that John Hardin has had some very impressive wins most notably (38-28 over Lex Cath and 28-0 over Boyle county) although both of those 2 great programs are a little down from their past dominance! Having said that, it is notable that HC was rated 3rd before they had a 3 week stretch when they played 2 out of state teams and had a week off, but now that they are into the more difficult part of their schedule against Ky teams I believe they start rising back up the polls and will show by seasns end that they are a LEGITIMATE CONTENTER for a State Title!! the fact some folks want to dismiss them as a contender is only more motivation for the Filthy Animals of HC to BRING IT every Friday night!!!