Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best rusher you ever played/coached against or saw as an opposing player?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:No love for Matt Quinn? That kid was far from the most talented, but he was touhg as nails and would flat steamroll defenders.

I agree 100%
Quinn was tough.
I can't believe Ron Blume hasn't been mentioned more.
Matt Richardson was a good one from estill. I think thats what his name was atleast but not for sure. But theres plenty of them to name in this topic.
i played against jj jude both jenior and senior year and he did not score so there for he isnt in the at the top of my list. all though he is a special combonation of stregth and speed. i never played against dominic hayden but at a passing scrimage but i watched many games and he had a unfair combonation of the two. so i am going with him. only b.c u said not somone u played with
Bo Jackson in 1981. His McAdory High School Yellow Jackets against our Oxford High School Yellow Jackets. 32 -0 McAdory. It was the all Bo show. He never left the field. Running back, linebacker, punter, kicker, kick off return and punt returns.
terry watts from elmshaw highschool, 1956!!!
1. Chris Jones
2. Henry Parks
3. Donnie Redd
4. Jimmy Baughman

I thought Wilbur Dunn from Garrard Co was really good as well.

No doubt in my mind if C Jones stays healthy, he is NFL bound.
kyrocklover Wrote:1. Chris Jones
2. Henry Parks
3. Donnie Redd
4. Jimmy Baughman

I thought Wilbur Dunn from Garrard Co was really good as well.

No doubt in my mind if C Jones stays healthy, he is NFL bound.

Sounds like we saw the same running backs over the years.

Wilbur was not large but was very quick and tough as nails.
Yes Hatz, I think so. I graduated from Boyle in 1978.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Funny how Cory Davenport hasnt been mentioned, but no team can stop him but Boyle Co. Wink

It's easy to stop one player when they're a one dimensional team. :Thumbs:
Juan Thomas - Ashland
Channing Fugate - Breathitt Co.
Rees McShara - Boyle Co.
Three that I played against personally in no particular order:

Matt Sloan - Prestonsburg (they also had another good running back in '01 but I can't remember his name)
Quinton Henson- Lynn Camp (really good considering the team he was on)
Michael West - Lawrence County

Matt Sloan was on the Cumberland College team for a few weeks of summer camp his freshman year. I was much more impressed with him there than when playing against him in high school.
colonel4life Wrote:Three that I played against personally in no particular order:

Matt Sloan - Prestonsburg (they also had another good running back in '01 but I can't remember his name)
Quinton Henson- Lynn Camp (really good considering the team he was on)
Michael West - Lawrence County

Matt Sloan was on the Cumberland College team for a few weeks of summer camp his freshman year. I was much more impressed with him there than when playing against him in high school.

Wasnt there a Fannon kid on that pburg team that was pretty good?
I think he was just a junior in 01 but tough. We were actually the only team that beat pburg that year besides bardstown in the playoffs.
Still cant believe we nailed a 44 yard field goal to win the game.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Wasnt there a Fannon kid on that pburg team that was pretty good?
I think he was just a junior in 01 but tough. We were actually the only team that beat pburg that year besides bardstown in the playoffs.
Still cant believe we nailed a 44 yard field goal to win the game.
You and me both RIUTG. We couldn't always hit our extra points but somehow managed a 44 yard field goal. I just knew when we went to the huddle it was going to be a fake. I almost called time out when they said field goal.

The only other game they lost was the state championship game. I guess it was Bardstown.I believe that game was their lowest rushing yard game of the year too.

Maybe some of these Pburg fans can refresh our memory on the name of the other running back that year.
1- Elliott Ditto- Meade County 1986
2- Mark Higgs- Owensboro 1983
3- Al Baker- Trigg County 1985

Elliott Ditto also had 150 in the 1st half of the KY/TENN All-star game and led KY to the largest margin of victory they had in the series.

The Recreation Bowl is called the "Granddaddy" of high school football bowl games because it was the first high school bowl game in Kentucky. In its early years, the Bowl was held in late October or early November and usually matched two of the best teams in the state. Many times it was felt that the Recreation Bowl crowned the mythical state champion. Later it became an August showcase for top teams and talent to kick off the season.

Montgomery County and/or Mt. Sterling has appeared in the Recreation Bowl 25 times. Mt. Sterling High School won three of those games in the early years of the Bowl. Montgomery County has won games in 1986, 1987, 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

Here is a look at some of the notable players who've been in the Recreation Bowl spotlight over the years.

1952 - Flaget High QB Paul Horning - NFL Hall of Fame QB for Green Bay Packers
1956 - Dixie Heights - Ron Ziegler - Press Secretary for President Richard Nixon
1957/58 - Madison Model QB Jerry Woolum, the only player to win Bowl MVP award two years in a row until Montgomery County's Daryl McCane did so in 2010 and 2011.
1971 - Madisonville QB Sonny Collins, who later went on to star at UK
1985 - Meade County RB Elliott Ditto sets a Recreation Bowl record by rushing for 326 yards and three touchdowns.
1993 - Jeremy Simpson, 1993 Mr. Football Award winner, played for Lincoln County.
1994 - Leslie County QB Tim Couch led his team to victory over George Rogers Clark.
1997 - Dennis Johnson, 1997 Mr. Football Award winner, played for Harrodsburg.
2000 - Highlands QB Gino Guidugli starred in a win over Louisville Trinity.
colonel4life Wrote:You and me both RIUTG. We couldn't always hit our extra points but somehow managed a 44 yard field goal. I just knew when we went to the huddle it was going to be a fake. I almost called time out when they said field goal.

The only other game they lost was the state championship game. I guess it was Bardstown.I believe that game was their lowest rushing yard game of the year too.

Maybe some of these Pburg fans can refresh our memory on the name of the other running back that year.

Michael Fannin

He was surpisingly agile for his size, but was still a load to bring down. Fannin's biggest strength was also his biggest weakness IYAM. He could reverse field and break tackles for a highlight real run that would make your mouth drop. The only problem was he became a bit to reliant on those and would reverse field into a 12 yard loss when he probably could have easily picked up a 2nd and 3.
Strikeout King Wrote:the best one that I've seen in person is probably Channing Fugate from Breathitt County

Is he the F-Back for Tennessee?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Michael Fannin

He was surpisingly agile for his size, but was still a load to bring down. Fannin's biggest strength was also his biggest weakness IYAM. He could reverse field and break tackles for a highlight real run that would make your mouth drop. The only problem was he became a bit to reliant on those and would reverse field into a 12 yard loss when he probably could have easily picked up a 2nd and 3.

You hit the nail on the head with that one.
colonel4life Wrote:You and me both RIUTG. We couldn't always hit our extra points but somehow managed a 44 yard field goal. I just knew when we went to the huddle it was going to be a fake. I almost called time out when they said field goal.

A lot of people would be surprised to know that the 44 yard field goal was kicked by a 6'6 330 pound offensive tackle lol.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:A lot of people would be surprised to know that the 44 yard field goal was kicked by a 6'6 330 pound offensive tackle lol.

Rowan Countys Stephen Williamson is a brickhouse with the perfect combination of strength and speed. Very hard to take down.
Forgot to mention Shaun Alexander.
Going back a few years. Derick Homer of Ft. Knox and Jonathan Chapman of Breathitt Co. / Pikeville.
Yes he is. Played high school at Breathitt county.