Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best rusher you ever played/coached against or saw as an opposing player?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Who is the best HB/RB/FB/TB you ever saw that was NOT on your team, in the state of Kentucky. I do not want this to become a thread of people defending their own player. MUST tell a player OTHER than one from your alma-mater.
the best one that I've seen in person is probably Channing Fugate from Breathitt County
Juan Thomas-Ashland
Dominique Hayden (sp?)-LCA
Chris Hutt-Ashland
Mike West - Arliss Beach - Ron Blume - JJ Jude - Nick Meadows - Fred Dean - Channing Fugate - David Jones -
One of the best I've ever seen and definitely the best performance I've ever seen... Craig Lanham from Owensboro Catholic in 2003, I think. He gained around almost 450 yards rushing in a single game against Glasgow. And Glasgow had a pretty decent team, IIRC.
I personally played against JJ Jude my junior and senior season. I played offense, so I never played literally against him, but he runs like a gazelle. Good kid, and great player.
Darrell Cross. Played against Jude in 7on7 but not in a real game.
Coached against Miles Simpson
Played against: Charles Pennix-Danville
Watched play: Andrew Hopewell-Danville

I always liked him as a player more than Kelvin Turner.
Kasey Clark
Doug Howard - Belfry
Channing Fugate - Breathitt County
JJ Jude - Johnson Central

I know it's opposing teams, but Matt Slone from Prestonsburg was an animal.
Probably JJ Jude or Channing Fugate.
Channing Fugate
Seen- Marty Raegan, JJ Jude, David Jones, Doug Howard
Played Against- Dusty Miller, Shawn Robbins, LaDale Rider, Nik Blair
Cameraman Wrote:One of the best I've ever seen and definitely the best performance I've ever seen... Craig Lanham from Owensboro Catholic in 2003, I think. He gained around almost 450 yards rushing in a single game against Glasgow. And Glasgow had a pretty decent team, IIRC.

I remember Lanham. I saw him play in one of the better playoff games that I have witnessed against Ft. Campbell. I really liked the kid and the went on and lost in their bid for a title in the next game.
Joey Couch, he was faster than JJ Jude and probably 60 lbs heavier. He is probably the best all around football player to come out of the Moutains. He was the lightest man since 1965 to best First team ALL-SEC DT. My second pick would be Tony Mays, he was the fastest Mountain player I ever saw bar none!
James Fletcher Wayne Co. 1982 year before he transferred to Somerset lol
David Jones and Doug Howard
potlimit2002 Wrote:Joey Couch, he was faster than JJ Jude and probably 60 lbs heavier. He is probably the best all around football player to come out of the Moutains. He was the lightest man since 1965 to best First team ALL-SEC DT. My second pick would be Tony Mays, he was the fastest Mountain player I ever saw bar none!

:Thumbs: Jeremy Caudill was no slouch either.....AT DT that is....but this a RB Thread.
Darren Bilberry, 1983, Fort Knox Eagles. They were undefeated state champs that year, and he went on to play at UK for Claiborne. He was like trying to tackle a truck.
JJ Bailey, and JI Joplin of Pikeville High SChool was to great backs....
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Doug Howard - Belfry
Channing Fugate - Breathitt County
JJ Jude - Johnson Central

I know it's opposing teams, but Matt Slone from Prestonsburg was an animal.

Loved the way Slone played. Not the fastest, not the biggest, not the quickest...but that kid gave 100% effort on every carry and refused to go down on initial contact.

Nick Jamerson was another Pburg player I respected.Left everything he had on the field and had the ability to make a highlight reel catch any time the ball was in the air.
I wanna be different, so Kasey Clark from Russell.
Doug Howard-Belfry
David Jones-Belfry
Channing Fugate-Brethitt
Daniel Harmon-Pikeville
Robert Shurtliff-Pikeville

Gotta throw in Dusty Hall from SV I Had to mention him he was a great RB.
Shawn Robbins, Grimm, RB from Ashland in the early 2000's, etc....
potlimit2002 Wrote:Joey Couch, he was faster than JJ Jude and probably 60 lbs heavier. He is probably the best all around football player to come out of the Moutains. He was the lightest man since 1965 to best First team ALL-SEC DT. My second pick would be Tony Mays, he was the fastest Mountain player I ever saw bar none!

This is of cource ancient history,but how about we add Mike "The Missle" Minnix to your list. He was an All American when men played the high school game. "Literally". Left UK team I believe after a great freshman year to devote his energy to a medical career. I bet you have not seen a Paintsville Tiger #18 in awhile.
Best ones I saw or played against:

Chris Jones, Danville, 1977. All American. Led Freshmen rushers in SEC in '78 while at UK. Blew his knee out in 2nd game or so of Sophomore year and never played again.

Jimmy Baughman, Danville, 1983-86. All State. Fast and strong but first of a line of small, powerful, fast backs in the Admiral backfield.

Donnie Redd, Danville. 1987-89. See above.

Michael Penman, Lincoln County 1986-88. Great career. Compact and quick. Followed blockers very well.

Henry Parks, Harrodsburg 1974-76. Fast, elusive back that played at UK. Set then records for scoring.

Nicky Yeast, Harrodsburg, 1975-77. Quick, big, strong. A stud nicknamed the Tank. Went on to start for Eastern's last National Champion at FB.

Just some I thought of to add to the conversation. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:Best ones I saw or played against:

No love for Matt Quinn? That kid was far from the most talented, but he was touhg as nails and would flat steamroll defenders.
LWC Wrote:Shawn Robbins, Grimm, RB from Ashland in the early 2000's, etc....

Arliss Beach
EKUAlum05 Wrote:No love for Matt Quinn? That kid was far from the most talented, but he was touhg as nails and would flat steamroll defenders.

He's a Boyle player and my understanding was we had to make a list based on opponents and players from other teams.

As to your evaluation, you are spot on. If Matt had better grades and less issues he would have played Division 1 football. :Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2 3