Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County schedule 2011
I know who makes the schedule I was sharing a RUMOR! Read the post!
Yogibear Wrote:Mr Saylor does not make the schedule. Coach Larkey does. Boyle is not in the picture right now. Knox however is.

I found out yesterday that I was wrong about Boyle Co. rumor. Sorry. Mr. Saylor met with the superentendant at Boyle about their facilities.
Filthy Animal Wrote:If anyone can help push this game through I would be SOOOO happy!...a game at Gatlinburg would be Awesome!....I'd definately book a room!...Football game on Friday....Candy apples and Ripley's Aquarium followed by the Bass Pro Shop on Saturday!....Please! oh Please!

Go HC Black Bears!!!!!!!!

Can't play if they don't want to play.
It's good to see a sch like it use to be back sometime! before all Harlan started trying to play cup cakes! I really like the sch next year. I think even if we let a few go it will help us out in the long run!
I heard a rumor that Letcher/Harlan Co. was trying to work out a bowl game for the start of the season. For some reason that will not happen. Harlan Co. and Bell Co. both have a hard time filling dates! When the new coach from Bell Co. is hired, I think it would be a great idea to get together and come up with a bowl game to start the season off. Bring in two teams ( pay them good) and have Bell and Harlan Co. both play. Bell and Harlan are always going to play to have a complete schedule so rotate the bowl game opposite the Home game for the series. Maybe to teams from Tennessee or perhaps two form lexington or louisville. Just a thought!
It is hard enough to find regular games. Not many people out there who would come to play HC and BC back to back years on the road for what limited payout they could afford to give. Not likely to happen.
I disagree. Make the Bowl into something special and good teams will come. I understand its hard to find teams to travel down 119 for a home and home series, but if something is worth the time and travel two quality teams will come. I would be willing to bet if Harlan Co. and Bell Co. played back to back against two good teams then its safe to guess on a 20,000.00 dollar gate. ( I think Middlesboro made around 20 on last years City/county bowl) Take the couple of grand from all the little bowls and put into this one bowl. Have a dinner/ games/ Awards and pay the teams 5 or 7500 and see who comes?
To many positives for this thing not to work. Get Wymt on board/ new field with turf and excellent atmosphere. Pay the money and get two good teams and this thing would explode. Just my opinion!
I agree...a lot of work though.
You could get Obama to get on board and without corporate sponsors to pay out it just would not be worth it for the two teams or the prospective opponents. Most teams would just rather play a home/home series. Every big name team out there has their own bowl now as it is. It would be hard to get them to play in another one. We'll have to agree to disagree, but it is easier said than done. I'd say it is not worth the hassle to all involved.
Whylie, We have some of the hardest working boosters in the US. lol
I got Obama, an excuse and a opinion. It would take a little planning and a lot of work but i still think it could be done. Not only done but something special for the area and kids alike. I will also agree to disagree!
I could see it working the same as in bell county with the city/county bowl only with HC and Harlan ind. The problem is no one wants to play HC or travel to Harlan County. Although it will never happen a HC vs Harlan ind. would bring in a nice chunk of change! But it won't happen.
I was talking REAL FOOTBALL with 4 REAL FOOTBALL TEAMS. You wouldn't come play Harlan Co. for 7500.00 and a awards dinner, nice place to play, TV ect, ect ect!
Maybe Harlan Co. vs Boyle Co. and Bell Co. vs Alcoa

or Harlan Co. vs Oakridge and Bell Co. vs Red Bank

what a bowl!
I think the Bell/Alcoa is done. The City/County Bowl is now Bell/Middlesboro. It would be nice to see a good bowl game the Ray Correll Bowl has been packed the last three years but that was with three local teams and HC.
BearClaws Wrote:I was talking REAL FOOTBALL with 4 REAL FOOTBALL TEAMS. You wouldn't come play Harlan Co. for 7500.00 and a awards dinner, nice place to play, TV ect, ect ect!

Who can pay that kind of money? The average going payout is about 3,000. That is a lot. Easier said than done.
BearClaws Wrote:I was talking REAL FOOTBALL with 4 REAL FOOTBALL TEAMS. You wouldn't come play Harlan Co. for 7500.00 and a awards dinner, nice place to play, TV ect, ect ect!

Again who is going to come up with the 15000 for the pay out and the dinner? You going to get Save A Lot in Evarts to do it? Bell and Harlan County will also want a cut. We are talking 30000 plus dollars. Who is footing the bill?
!st Alcoa was just an example. My point being was that we needed 4 quality teams for the bowl. They are plenty of schools that play good football without Alcoa being in the picture. Next, 7500 is a very large payout and it for sure would land the bowl. You could start the offers lower with that as your limit. If you did make the 20,000.00 you are 5 g's to the good. Harlan Co. has a couple of bowls throughout the year like the Arh bowl. They probably get 4 g's and probably a couple more for the others. Use that money for this big bowl. You still have concessions and other sales that should be around half your gate. So now we are talking around 37,000.00 or more from the game. Also, you still have a home game at the end between Bell/ Harlan that should bring in at least 10,000.00 that could be tied in with the bowl game. As far as food, I think we could get that and more donated like we do the pig at the 1st of the season. Harlan Co. has more support than you can shake a stick @. I don't think that would be a problem. It was just a thought. Might not work/ might not be worth it. However, we have a pretty good foundation built as far as our football program. We have the nicest school in the state. We are starting on the best football stadium in the state. For once, I would like to see us (in our thinking) let go of the good and go for the GREAT! JMHO I AM DONE!
I like the way you think BearClaws. You are talking about a lot of dough here though. Let's get our stadium completed first and maybe in a couple of years this sort of thing might be feasible with some lower figures. The community support is phenominal right now and let's hope it stays that way.

I heard we are getting new jerseys this year. Wish we had a picture of what they look like.

(Yogi ruined this thread by mentioning his/her hero Obama!) :p
Sounds good! I did fall in the floor laughing over your caution of a few thousand dollars. This coming from a woman who found a million or more floating around. lol
Yea a bowl game may be a bigger draw when we have the new field.
New jerseys, I wonder how they will be different? I wonder if silver will take the place of white?
Patriot Wrote:New jerseys, I wonder how they will be different? I wonder if silver will take the place of white?

Doubtful.
Patriot Wrote:New jerseys, I wonder how they will be different? I wonder if silver will take the place of white?

Silver is not part of the school colors so Im positive it will not be included.
Silver is actually one of the two main school colors. Cardinal was added by Mr. Saylor. The group who selected all that stuff chose black and silver.
Silver is a school color, what is white should be silver. I'm not a big fan of silver. When they voted for color combinations it was Black/Cardinal/Silver, Blue/Black/Silver, and I think Gold/black/Silver. I remember them comparing the colors to Ohio State, Carolina Panthers, and New Orleans Saints.
I would like to see the silver included but I'm happy with what we have.