Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands preview/schedule 2011
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Many are predicting stellar teams out of Trinity and Highlands over the next couple years. Each has 20 State titles. As an outsider looking in, I think it is a travesty that these two teams don't schedule one another. I'm beginning to think that each team fears losing to the other b/c of sheer pride. A two year deal should be in the works for the two best programs in the state. Anything less is ridiculous IMO. If they did play one another, I think the state would have more respect for the respective programs. But for now, they look like they're duckin'.:biggrin:
Hard to argue with this perpective. It would be great to see these two play each other every year.
LOL... BTW, I posted my comment about "hard to argue" before I flipped to the second page where the argument ensued. Sorry about that. Evidently, it is easy to argue about the top 2 programs in the state playing each other in the regular season.
Football1 Wrote:Hard to argue with this perpective. It would be great to see these two play each other every year.

Unless your name is Tradition or Thunder:biggrin:
Frankly, I think the Highlands-Boyle County game scheduled for week 0 in 2011 will create more "buzz" about prep football in KY than a Highlands-Trinity game would. I think people around the state would take more of an interest in HHS-BCHS than HHS-THS. I suppose a HHS-THS would garner more attention outside KY, however.
jbwill2 Wrote:Frankly, I think the Highlands-Boyle County game scheduled for week 0 in 2011 will create more "buzz" about prep football in KY than a Highlands-Trinity game would. I think people around the state would take more of an interest in HHS-BCHS than HHS-THS. I suppose a HHS-THS would garner more attention outside KY, however.

JB, I respect you immensely, but you're way off base here.:dontthink
Also, here's something to consider...

It sounds like Highlands and Trinity may be scrimmaging again in 2011 (under a "real-game" format). Both HHS and THS are expecting big things in 2011, and both are coming off title-winning seasons. Plus, both have impressive schedules lined up in 2011.

With all this being said, both teams appear to be in a good position to crack the national rankings in 2011. However, the "loser" of the scrimmage will have a hard time being ranked next year, since it's my understanding that USA Today and MaxPreps actually take into consideration these "real-game" format scrimmages when deciding whether teams should be ranked. In fact, I've heard from more than one person that Highlands was set to be put in the preseason USA Today Super 25 rankings in 2010 UNTIL they were "beaten" in the scrimmage by Trinity 49-42.

My advice to both teams: if you are interested in being ranked nationally next year, then it would be in your interest to do what you need to do in order to "win" this seemingly meaningless preseason scrimmage.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:JB, I respect you immensely, but you're way off base here.:dontthink
Not so fast! I really don't think many people outside of Louisville and NKY would care much about HHS-THS. However, I do think a lot of people around the state really respect what a "county" football program (BCHS) has been able to accomplish in the recent past and WOULD take an interest in seeing how BCHS stacks up against HHS, especially since both HHS and BCHS are coming off championship seasons and BCHS has the state's longest active win streak.

I don't think many people outside of Louisville care much about Trinity football, and I think the people in Louisville care way, way more about how Trinity stacks up against Louisville St. X year in and year out than how Trinity compares with Highlands.
jbwill2 Wrote:Not so fast! I really don't think many people outside of Louisville and NKY would care much about HHS-THS. However, I do think a lot of people around the state really respect what a "county" football program (BCHS) has been able to accomplish in the recent past and WOULD take an interest in seeing how BCHS stacks up against HHS, especially since both HHS and BCHS are coming off championship seasons and BCHS has the state's longest win streak.

I don't think many people outside of Louisville care much about Trinity football, and I think the people in Louisville care way, way more about how Trinity stacks up against Louisville St. X year in and year out than how Trinity compares with Highlands.

JB, this has been a hot potato for several years now and it isn't going away any time soon. When you're dealing with #1's and #2's, it becomes very contentious. If what you say is correct about an upcoming '11 scrimmage, expect some fireworks that day. Both teams jockey for national recognition and the entire state will be watching. All of a sudden, a Boyle matchup doesn't really take on that much significance outside of Boyle Co.
jbwill2 Wrote:Not so fast! I really don't think many people outside of Louisville and NKY would care much about HHS-THS. However, I do think a lot of people around the state really respect what a "county" football program (BCHS) has been able to accomplish in the recent past and WOULD take an interest in seeing how BCHS stacks up against HHS, especially since both HHS and BCHS are coming off championship seasons and BCHS has the state's longest active win streak.

I agree with you JB. I think in state fans would rather see Boyle/Highlands play with the exception of Louisville, maybe. It will probably the first of two meetings for these teams. I wish I could be there for this one.
Highlands vs Trinity is very interesting to me because it pits the best "public" school against the best "Private" school. I'm one of the minority that questions whether it is even fair for big private schools like trinity to own a state crown. So, at least, let's see if a top Public can beat them.

As for the Boyle vs Highlands matchup, yes to that too.
What will Highlands' LB corps look like in 2011? Who figures to see a lot of playing time at this position?
Its pretty much cut and dried that Highlands is way better than Boyle County. Therefore, the Trinity Highlands matchup is much more interesting IMO.