Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh How I Miss The Old Days
I remember playing against Jenkin's and that sidesaddle wing T back in the early 80's. I also always hated that ride across the mountain to play at Flemming Neon but I always loved playing on that muddy field. It was the muddiest I've ever played on. I remember being on the bottom of a pile and thinking I might drown if they didn't get off me soon. I loved those day's. Thanks for that great post!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's all very sweet, but the truth is most of those teams were barely surviving and not very good when the end came. Many of them couldn't even a field a team now if the school was still open.
Consolidation didn't take anything away from the communities that wasn't already dying or dead.
There's a lot more excitement at Harlan County than there was the last 20 years when the teams were too small to compete on a high level.
HDE Wrote:It's all very sweet, but the truth is most of those teams were barely surviving and not very good when the end came. Many of them couldn't even a field a team now if the school was still open.Consolidation didn't take anything away from the communities that wasn't already dying or dead.
There's a lot more excitement at Harlan County than there was the last 20 years when the teams were too small to compete on a high level.

I'm not so sure that's completely true,HDE,about the schools fielding a team only 4 years out from consolidation but it could be true if the population continues to dwindle. If it does,don't you have to ask,why build such a large,multi million dollar school,that in only 4 years has lost more than a third of it's enrollment? If the present trend continues,and all indicators say it will,10 years from now the halls will look empty in such a large building. That's even if Harlan High School were to join the ranks. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think HHS will survive in one form or another,football or no football. Their enrollment,although down somewhat, doesn't seem to have suffered such a dip.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I didnt know that about you purple.
Thats a great sotry.
I remember when they tore down the old poplar creek school in order to build the new one. (Now Whitley East Elementary, Poplar Creek and Nevisdale Combined.
That school had a lot of memories in it. I myself spent a few years at Woodbine.
There are so many elementary schools in Whitley County that go back a LONG way in history.
Pleasant View, which was Boone High School at one time, Oak Grove Elementary which has been open for a very long time and the old Woodbine and Rockholds school that is now the alternative school.
Consolidation really helped Whitley County as a whole and thats when football started in the early sixties for high school as a whole, but it brings back a lot of memories.
Times have definitely changed...

I guess you remember Lone Jack. They always had a good basketball team. We played Boston Elementary too. Woodbine was a great rival for us. You guys were the big city boys to us because you lived so close to Corbin. My brother went to Poplar Creek when it was a high school. We lived 5 miles from the school and would have to walk home sometimes after practice because our daddy worked in a coal mine and didn't care too much for sports. I think he went to one of my ballgames. I couldn't play high school sports in high school because Whitley County was 26 miles from home and I couldn't get a ride home all the time. That's why I'm in Bowling Green. I made an oath that my kids could play any sport they wanted. I went to WKU and never left Bowling Green. It's a great place to raise a family.
I played back in the early 70's. Very rare to have a kid over 210lbs. or over 6ft tall on our team. Some, but not many. Our guards were 5' 7" 175lbs. Tackles were around 185-190lbs. Our DB's were like killer midgets. I was 5'7" 205lbs. and considered a huge FB. Most teams we played were about the same size as us. We rarely passed the ball. 4 yards and a pile of dust was the rule. We played as dirty as we could get away with! We were told to separate our opponents head from the rest of his body. It was brutal, in your face football! The kids were much smaller and much tougher in those days. The school wasn't air conditioned and most houses weren't either. No computers! We had to know how to figure math in our heads! Imagine that!
^ I remember growing up and Anthony Munoz was considered a "Monster" when he came out of USC, all 6-6'. 275 pounds. Thats a Tight End now.
Backwoods Wrote:I'm not so sure that's completely true,HDE,about the schools fielding a team only 4 years out from consolidation but it could be true if the population continues to dwindle. If it does,don't you have to ask,why build such a large,multi million dollar school,that in only 4 years has lost more than a third of it's enrollment? If the present trend continues,and all indicators say it will,10 years from now the halls will look empty in such a large building. That's even if Harlan High School were to join the ranks. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think HHS will survive in one form or another,football or no football. Their enrollment,although down somewhat, doesn't seem to have suffered such a dip.

Why should Harlan County apologize for finally having something nice? Did you pay more in taxes because of it? I didn't.
While other counties had nice facilities built, Harlan County hadn't had a new high school since 1966. If the present trend continues, we may have 1,000 students at HCHS in 20 years, instead of the 1,200 we have now. I doubt the halls will look empty, even with only 1,000 students. Would you prefer everyone being shifted to James A. Cawood so that money could be used for another school in Lexington or another road in Somerset?
Only in Harlan County would we have people questioning why we have something nice in our county. We have one of the nicest schools, one of the nicest gyms and will soon have one of the nicest football facilities in the state. It's about time, and I'm happy we have them.
HDE Wrote:Why should Harlan County apologize for finally having something nice? Did you pay more in taxes because of it? I didn't.
While other counties had nice facilities built, Harlan County hadn't had a new high school since 1966. If the present trend continues, we may have 1,000 students at HCHS in 20 years, instead of the 1,200 we have now. I doubt the halls will look empty, even with only 1,000 students. Would you prefer everyone being shifted to James A. Cawood so that money could be used for another school in Lexington or another road in Somerset?
Only in Harlan County would we have people questioning why we have something nice in our county. We have one of the nicest schools, one of the nicest gyms and will soon have one of the nicest football facilities in the state. It's about time, and I'm happy we have them.
Nobodies questioning why we have something good in Harlan Co.. But I will question the way things are done in Harlan Co.. I'll tell you a little story about how things are done in Harlan Co.. My stepson went to Harlan Co. last year and he has austism so he was in the special education department there where he was given an IEP (individual education plan) to meet this special needs. We took his IEP to a doctor in Lexington to see if it was going to meet his needs. The doctor took one look at it,wadded it up,threw it in the floor and said it was trash and that we as parents were doing him an injustic by submitting him to such incompetency. He told us to get a lawyer and make the school do what was needed to meet his needs. The school said they didn't have the money to hire the therapist.So one therapist has to take on such a gigantic case load that she can't do it all. Turns out,HDE,that the school was getting $9,000 a year in grant money just to help pay for his therapy where he was getting only 30 minutes a month. I wonder where the rest of that money was going? Cause it sure wasn't going to educate our son with autism. Needless to say we took him to another school in the county where he get's all the therapy and counselling he needs and then some. What made us mad,HDE, is that they can build a $3.5 million dollar football field and at the same time not give the special education kid's what they need to make it in life. It's good to have nice things,HDE,if you can afford them and don't have to get them at the expense of other's. Why not build a $2 million dollar field and kick $1.5 towards educating the kid's with disabilities? Also,how is it that HHS can take care of the S.E.kid's and still be a top 10 acedemic school in the state and a top 100 high school in America according to U.S. News and World Report? I say educate the kids and take care of the needy first,then play football. But that's jmho and may not be your's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
adopted purple Wrote:I guess you remember Lone Jack. They always had a good basketball team. We played Boston Elementary too. Woodbine was a great rival for us. You guys were the big city boys to us because you lived so close to Corbin. My brother went to Poplar Creek when it was a high school. We lived 5 miles from the school and would have to walk home sometimes after practice because our daddy worked in a coal mine and didn't care too much for sports. I think he went to one of my ballgames. I couldn't play high school sports in high school because Whitley County was 26 miles from home and I couldn't get a ride home all the time. That's why I'm in Bowling Green. I made an oath that my kids could play any sport they wanted. I went to WKU and never left Bowling Green. It's a great place to raise a family.

Yup i sure do. Lone Jack has been around for a long time.
At woodbine, we usually came up with more players than most of the other county schools we had but man there were some rough games way back when.
There were many times before consolidation that Whitley had 2 or 3 teams that were really good almost every year.
Anybody that has been up 92E and lived around the gatliff or poplar creek area knows how far away from everything you are and without the activity buses the high school runs now, many kids simply wouldnt be able to play sports at Whitley.
I know some of the buses up there pick up kids are 6 o clock in order to get them to school before 8 o clock. Some even go to Bell Co. since its right on the line.
I dont blame you for providing yourself and your family a better life. A lot has changed around here, but a lot still remains the same
2dog Wrote:I played back in the early 70's. Very rare to have a kid over 210lbs. or over 6ft tall on our team. Some, but not many. Our guards were 5' 7" 175lbs. Tackles were around 185-190lbs. Our DB's were like killer midgets. I was 5'7" 205lbs. and considered a huge FB. Most teams we played were about the same size as us. We rarely passed the ball. 4 yards and a pile of dust was the rule. We played as dirty as we could get away with! We were told to separate our opponents head from the rest of his body. It was brutal, in your face football! The kids were much smaller and much tougher in those days. The school wasn't air conditioned and most houses weren't either. No computers! We had to know how to figure math in our heads! Imagine that!

Old school. That's cool.:Thumbs:
This is an awesome post!!! I miss the `70's and `80's myself. Johns Creek under Hooker Phillips. The 1987 Pikeville team which was one of the best in the region of all time. Tear away jerseys, jerseys without the school name on the front. Pre-turf! Cumberland with Freddie Maggard and George Massey, Lynch, Paintsville with Tony Mayes, Pineville during Tim Saylor's leadership, Evarts with Scotty Russell, I could go on and on. Those were the days, indeed. Thanks for the memories!!
Laurel County also had many smaller schools way back in the day before it consolidated into Laurel County, eventually splitting up into North and South Laurel
I think Hazel Green even had a state basketball championship. What were some of those other schools? Keavy maybe? London Elementary and East Bernstadt still exist as independent schools.
Oh my god, i missed him badly you know i was just wondering on this and now i leave this. Bad luck for me.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yup i sure do. Lone Jack has been around for a long time.
At woodbine, we usually came up with more players than most of the other county schools we had but man there were some rough games way back when.
There were many times before consolidation that Whitley had 2 or 3 teams that were really good almost every year.
Anybody that has been up 92E and lived around the gatliff or poplar creek area knows how far away from everything you are and without the activity buses the high school runs now, many kids simply wouldnt be able to play sports at Whitley.
I know some of the buses up there pick up kids are 6 o clock in order to get them to school before 8 o clock. Some even go to Bell Co. since its right on the line.
I dont blame you for providing yourself and your family a better life. A lot has changed around here, but a lot still remains the same

In the winter, I would get on the bus before sunrise and get home after dark. A lot of kids probably still can't play high school sports in some parts of the mountains. So sad.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Laurel County also had many smaller schools way back in the day before it consolidated into Laurel County, eventually splitting up into North and South Laurel
I think Hazel Green even had a state basketball championship. What were some of those other schools? Keavy maybe? London Elementary and East Bernstadt still exist as independent schools.

I think London is a Laurel County school.

I think the high schools before 1970 were London, Hazel Green, Bush and Lily.
adopted purple Wrote:In the winter, I would get on the bus before sunrise and get home after dark. A lot of kids probably still can't play high school sports in some parts of the mountains. So sad.

Still the case in many parts.
Its all about how bad a kid wants to play.
HDE Wrote:I think London is a Laurel County school.

I think the high schools before 1970 were London, Hazel Green, Bush and Lily.

Yes thats right, Lily and Bush definitely were, i thought keavy and cold hill or colony might have been one as well.
I know for sure Hazel Green and Lily were and as you said, London elemenentary is part of the county schools, i was wrong on that.
There is about 7 or 8 elentary schools in laurel county now.
Consoladation has also lead to an increase in Drug Problems.
^
lol, what?
GREAT POST!!!!!! But I remember when Lexington public schools were very competative. Then came Dunbar that spread the talent a little. Then came Lex Cath , they struggled at first but eventually started taking public school talent. And then came Lex Christian and the pulic schools went straight down hill. It is hard to compete with that many schools in one city. I mean look at Scott County now. # middle schools going to one high school. Wow what an advantage.
LCC was well on it's way to building a good ole tradional football program. Thanks for the memories of Cougar Football boys of 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008. RIP Cougar Football.
Miss the days of Chuke and the Belly. Those were good times in Lawrence county.
dawgs1 Wrote:Miss the days of Chuke and the Belly. Those were good times in Lawrence county.

I miss Chuke in general. He was a great guy and great coach.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
csabo17 Wrote:I agree that consolidation killed the small school. Not only did it kill the small school, but it took down the community's around them as well.

I know Dilce Combs didnt have football, but if anyone can remember the times around the early to mid 90's. Going to a Dilce Combs basketball game was the thing to do. Whitaker Athletic Center was like a mecca to me. Painting my face before the games in the "ultimate warrior" style. Games involving M.C Napier and Hazard were one of a kind and the true rivalry and spirit didnt quiet make it to PCC. (Yes for the first few years the crowd and pep sections were rocking, but not quiet the same.) They're seemed to be a sense of school spirit that went with Dilce Combs that disappeared with PCC.
I'll never forget being about 10 years old spending the week in Lexington/Richmond having to go shopping for clothes everyday because Dilce just kept winning. Then the All A state championship game with the kid missing the final put back to seal the win. It seemed like a never ending party after that. I think the entire community met the buses and fans at the Perry line and ******ed them on into the Whitaker Athletic Center.

It wasnt just basketball and other athletics that the people got behind. The art department, the DECCA club, band, baseball, cross country, cheer leading, and academics. All were talked about and important to the community.

Im trying to think of a different word " S Court" for some reason its blocked. lol
I could not agree with more. I never realized this until this Christmas when I visited my parents. I was out with my son and he asked me why a lot of the buildings were painted orange (Raceland's color). I told him it was because the community really loved the school. Every football game is still a big event. That is one of the few things that I miss about EKY, the pride and how the school could bring the whole community together even for just one night. I just don't see that much in any of the bigger places that I have lived since leaving Raceland.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I was sitting here tonight, thinking about the old days. Yeah, Im old enough now (35) to be able to say that and sound like my parents, lol..I miss the way things were, before consolidation took over everywhere. I played at Jenkins, when we were competitive, and on our schedule were teams like Elkhorn City, who would flat out hit you, even in their down years. We battled it out with Whitesburg, Cumberland, and Evarts. We played and fought with MC Napier. We slugged it out in one of the greatest fights of all time with Johns Creek and I remember playing on the absolute worst field in Kentucky, in good ol Fleming Neon. As terrible as that field was, the atmosphere there was unmatched ANYWHERE, and still to this day, remains the best atmosphere of anywhere Ive ever watched a game. Fleming Neon-Whitesburg in the early 90s and early 00s was THE game. Nobody missed it, even us Jenkins guys, who hated both teams, couldnt wait to hear about it. I miss how things were. I miss how schools 10-15 miles apart could hate each other with so much passion, and the entire week, all you could think about was playing them. I miss when Paintsville was great, and challenged great Pikeville teams for district championships. I miss Walter Brugh. I miss how dominant Pikeville was in the 80s, and I miss the first time I lined up against them as a 6'0, 255 lb freshman Tackle and Defensive End in 1990, thinking "so this is what its all about..the three time defending state champions"..I hate more than even the Pikeville people, that theyve become mortal. So Pikeville and Paintsville, please get great again soon. This part of the state NEEDS it. I remember when NOBODY had turf. Or that bermuda grass garbage. Pikeville was the only school around that had that. The rest of us played on grass, and when it rained, you got muddy. I miss that too. I loved when teams would wear the same old jerseys every single year, with rips, tears and stains. I remember when we played Evarts my sophomore year, and they had Scotty Russell and Brad Kirby, and boy those guys could flat out play. We took 'em to overtime and lost 25-19 in a great game. We'd get 'em back my senior year though, and beat 'em 7-6. Playing at Neon, and getting blown out wasnt any fun. Theyd play that "Shout" song over, and over, and over, and over..the fans would go CRAZY. I miss the great Whitesburg and Neon teams, and I miss those powerhouse Elkhorn teams with Kenny O'Quinn and Chad Cure. I DON'T miss travelling to Phelps though. Phelps is a part of Pike County? Seriously? I would have sworn it was a part of Europe or something. I miss when rivalry games meant something. I miss Jack Hall and that wonderful Sidesaddle wing T, which was **** to play against, but a blast to watch from the stands, and Pikeville's Hillard Howard. I miss the Virgie Eagles, and I remember the old Mullins school too. I remember when the Cavs took down mighty Pikeville 14-0 in 1984. I was 9 years old, and I remember hugging my idol (my brother) after the game was over. First time we beat them in 16 years, and it was the last time we beat them. We beat Whitesburg that year too, and it was also the last time we beat them. That was a great year. Those were my childhood days. Going to all of the Jenkins games at all of those great fields, making all of those trips..wouldnt trade them for the world. I remember watching Brent Coleman years later, and I could cry now, knowing he's no longer with us. Same goes for Willie Webb at Neon. I remember crying my eyes out the year after Willie was killed, when his little brother, who idolized Willie, and wore his #7, run back a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown and pointed to the sky the last 20 yards of the run. There wasnt a dry eye at the Dust Bowl that night. I miss The Big Dipper and his radio show ("Goodnight Uncle Joe Herman, wherever you may be")..I miss Wheelwright. I miss when you would go out with a cheerleader at another school, everyone called you a traitor. Didnt matter how hot she was, lol..I miss the days before internet and cell phones, when everything was simpler, and the most important things in your life were football, girls, and cars, in that order. Ah well, those days are long gone, but I am happy that I grew up in those days. I wouldnt change it for the world.

Great post! Also Roll Tide Roll. From Oxford, Alabama.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I was sitting here tonight, thinking about the old days. Yeah, Im old enough now (35) to be able to say that and sound like my parents, lol..I miss the way things were, before consolidation took over everywhere. I played at Jenkins, when we were competitive, and on our schedule were teams like Elkhorn City, who would flat out hit you, even in their down years. We battled it out with Whitesburg, Cumberland, and Evarts. We played and fought with MC Napier. We slugged it out in one of the greatest fights of all time with Johns Creek and I remember playing on the absolute worst field in Kentucky, in good ol Fleming Neon. As terrible as that field was, the atmosphere there was unmatched ANYWHERE, and still to this day, remains the best atmosphere of anywhere Ive ever watched a game. Fleming Neon-Whitesburg in the early 90s and early 00s was THE game. Nobody missed it, even us Jenkins guys, who hated both teams, couldnt wait to hear about it. I miss how things were. I miss how schools 10-15 miles apart could hate each other with so much passion, and the entire week, all you could think about was playing them. I miss when Paintsville was great, and challenged great Pikeville teams for district championships. I miss Walter Brugh. I miss how dominant Pikeville was in the 80s, and I miss the first time I lined up against them as a 6'0, 255 lb freshman Tackle and Defensive End in 1990, thinking "so this is what its all about..the three time defending state champions"..I hate more than even the Pikeville people, that theyve become mortal. So Pikeville and Paintsville, please get great again soon. This part of the state NEEDS it. I remember when NOBODY had turf. Or that bermuda grass garbage. Pikeville was the only school around that had that. The rest of us played on grass, and when it rained, you got muddy. I miss that too. I loved when teams would wear the same old jerseys every single year, with rips, tears and stains. I remember when we played Evarts my sophomore year, and they had Scotty Russell and Brad Kirby, and boy those guys could flat out play. We took 'em to overtime and lost 25-19 in a great game. We'd get 'em back my senior year though, and beat 'em 7-6. Playing at Neon, and getting blown out wasnt any fun. Theyd play that "Shout" song over, and over, and over, and over..the fans would go CRAZY. I miss the great Whitesburg and Neon teams, and I miss those powerhouse Elkhorn teams with Kenny O'Quinn and Chad Cure. I DON'T miss travelling to Phelps though. Phelps is a part of Pike County? Seriously? I would have sworn it was a part of Europe or something. I miss when rivalry games meant something. I miss Jack Hall and that wonderful Sidesaddle wing T, which was **** to play against, but a blast to watch from the stands, and Pikeville's Hillard Howard. I miss the Virgie Eagles, and I remember the old Mullins school too. I remember when the Cavs took down mighty Pikeville 14-0 in 1984. I was 9 years old, and I remember hugging my idol (my brother) after the game was over. First time we beat them in 16 years, and it was the last time we beat them. We beat Whitesburg that year too, and it was also the last time we beat them. That was a great year. Those were my childhood days. Going to all of the Jenkins games at all of those great fields, making all of those trips..wouldnt trade them for the world. I remember watching Brent Coleman years later, and I could cry now, knowing he's no longer with us. Same goes for Willie Webb at Neon. I remember crying my eyes out the year after Willie was killed, when his little brother, who idolized Willie, and wore his #7, run back a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown and pointed to the sky the last 20 yards of the run. There wasnt a dry eye at the Dust Bowl that night. I miss The Big Dipper and his radio show ("Goodnight Uncle Joe Herman, wherever you may be")..I miss Wheelwright. I miss when you would go out with a cheerleader at another school, everyone called you a traitor. Didnt matter how hot she was, lol..I miss the days before internet and cell phones, when everything was simpler, and the most important things in your life were football, girls, and cars, in that order. Ah well, those days are long gone, but I am happy that I grew up in those days. I wouldnt change it for the world.
Love it bro! ABSOLUTLEY LOVE IT!!! Brings back some awesome memories! I must admit I got just a little misty eyed when you got to the part about "The Dipper" and Brent. Brent was a GREAT football player but it never went to his head. As far as Pikeville is concerned, have no fear, to quote the great philosophers Rage Against The Machine: "ITS COMIN BACK AROUND AGAIN!!!"