Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Oh How I Miss The Old Days
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was sitting here tonight, thinking about the old days. Yeah, Im old enough now (35) to be able to say that and sound like my parents, lol..I miss the way things were, before consolidation took over everywhere. I played at Jenkins, when we were competitive, and on our schedule were teams like Elkhorn City, who would flat out hit you, even in their down years. We battled it out with Whitesburg, Cumberland, and Evarts. We played and fought with MC Napier. We slugged it out in one of the greatest fights of all time with Johns Creek and I remember playing on the absolute worst field in Kentucky, in good ol Fleming Neon. As terrible as that field was, the atmosphere there was unmatched ANYWHERE, and still to this day, remains the best atmosphere of anywhere Ive ever watched a game. Fleming Neon-Whitesburg in the early 90s and early 00s was THE game. Nobody missed it, even us Jenkins guys, who hated both teams, couldnt wait to hear about it. I miss how things were. I miss how schools 10-15 miles apart could hate each other with so much passion, and the entire week, all you could think about was playing them. I miss when Paintsville was great, and challenged great Pikeville teams for district championships. I miss Walter Brugh. I miss how dominant Pikeville was in the 80s, and I miss the first time I lined up against them as a 6'0, 255 lb freshman Tackle and Defensive End in 1990, thinking "so this is what its all about..the three time defending state champions"..I hate more than even the Pikeville people, that theyve become mortal. So Pikeville and Paintsville, please get great again soon. This part of the state NEEDS it. I remember when NOBODY had turf. Or that bermuda grass garbage. Pikeville was the only school around that had that. The rest of us played on grass, and when it rained, you got muddy. I miss that too. I loved when teams would wear the same old jerseys every single year, with rips, tears and stains. I remember when we played Evarts my sophomore year, and they had Scotty Russell and Brad Kirby, and boy those guys could flat out play. We took 'em to overtime and lost 25-19 in a great game. We'd get 'em back my senior year though, and beat 'em 7-6. Playing at Neon, and getting blown out wasnt any fun. Theyd play that "Shout" song over, and over, and over, and over..the fans would go CRAZY. I miss the great Whitesburg and Neon teams, and I miss those powerhouse Elkhorn teams with Kenny O'Quinn and Chad Cure. I DON'T miss travelling to Phelps though. Phelps is a part of Pike County? Seriously? I would have sworn it was a part of Europe or something. I miss when rivalry games meant something. I miss Jack Hall and that wonderful Sidesaddle wing T, which was **** to play against, but a blast to watch from the stands, and Pikeville's Hillard Howard. I miss the Virgie Eagles, and I remember the old Mullins school too. I remember when the Cavs took down mighty Pikeville 14-0 in 1984. I was 9 years old, and I remember hugging my idol (my brother) after the game was over. First time we beat them in 16 years, and it was the last time we beat them. We beat Whitesburg that year too, and it was also the last time we beat them. That was a great year. Those were my childhood days. Going to all of the Jenkins games at all of those great fields, making all of those trips..wouldnt trade them for the world. I remember watching Brent Coleman years later, and I could cry now, knowing he's no longer with us. Same goes for Willie Webb at Neon. I remember crying my eyes out the year after Willie was killed, when his little brother, who idolized Willie, and wore his #7, run back a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown and pointed to the sky the last 20 yards of the run. There wasnt a dry eye at the Dust Bowl that night. I miss The Big Dipper and his radio show ("Goodnight Uncle Joe Herman, wherever you may be")..I miss Wheelwright. I miss when you would go out with a cheerleader at another school, everyone called you a traitor. Didnt matter how hot she was, lol..I miss the days before internet and cell phones, when everything was simpler, and the most important things in your life were football, girls, and cars, in that order. Ah well, those days are long gone, but I am happy that I grew up in those days. I wouldnt change it for the world.
Sounds like some great memories!
I miss the days when paintsville was tough every season. I got a lot of good memories from the past myself. Paintsville has let politics ruin their program
Consolidation has ruined football for the small schools in eastern kentucky. I remember going to fleming neon In the last season they had a team and how sad it was to know that an era was ending. How long will it be before what we know as Class-A football these days ceases to exist?
With regards to John Prine...

"Daddy, won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River, where Paradise lay..."

"I'm sorry, my son, but you're too late in askin'
CONSOLIDATION has taken our ball team away..."
I agree. Having been to alot of brand new fields and stadiums, nothing beats going to an old field that has been played on for years and years. One great field to go to is Sower Field in downtown Frankfort. Not to forget, Paris High School's field. What great atmosphere's for Friday night football.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I was sitting here tonight, thinking about the old days. Yeah, Im old enough now (35) to be able to say that and sound like my parents, lol..I miss the way things were, before consolidation took over everywhere. I played at Jenkins, when we were competitive, and on our schedule were teams like Elkhorn City, who would flat out hit you, even in their down years. We battled it out with Whitesburg, Cumberland, and Evarts. We played and fought with MC Napier. We slugged it out in one of the greatest fights of all time with Johns Creek and I remember playing on the absolute worst field in Kentucky, in good ol Fleming Neon. As terrible as that field was, the atmosphere there was unmatched ANYWHERE, and still to this day, remains the best atmosphere of anywhere Ive ever watched a game. Fleming Neon-Whitesburg in the early 90s and early 00s was THE game. Nobody missed it, even us Jenkins guys, who hated both teams, couldnt wait to hear about it. I miss how things were. I miss how schools 10-15 miles apart could hate each other with so much passion, and the entire week, all you could think about was playing them. I miss when Paintsville was great, and challenged great Pikeville teams for district championships. I miss Walter Brugh. I miss how dominant Pikeville was in the 80s, and I miss the first time I lined up against them as a 6'0, 255 lb freshman Tackle and Defensive End in 1990, thinking "so this is what its all about..the three time defending state champions"..I hate more than even the Pikeville people, that theyve become mortal. So Pikeville and Paintsville, please get great again soon. This part of the state NEEDS it. I remember when NOBODY had turf. Or that bermuda grass garbage. Pikeville was the only school around that had that. The rest of us played on grass, and when it rained, you got muddy. I miss that too. I loved when teams would wear the same old jerseys every single year, with rips, tears and stains. I remember when we played Evarts my sophomore year, and they had Scotty Russell and Brad Kirby, and boy those guys could flat out play. We took 'em to overtime and lost 25-19 in a great game. We'd get 'em back my senior year though, and beat 'em 7-6. Playing at Neon, and getting blown out wasnt any fun. Theyd play that "Shout" song over, and over, and over, and over..the fans would go CRAZY. I miss the great Whitesburg and Neon teams, and I miss those powerhouse Elkhorn teams with Kenny O'Quinn and Chad Cure. I DON'T miss travelling to Phelps though. Phelps is a part of Pike County? Seriously? I would have sworn it was a part of Europe or something. I miss when rivalry games meant something. I miss Jack Hall and that wonderful Sidesaddle wing T, which was **** to play against, but a blast to watch from the stands, and Pikeville's Hillard Howard. I miss the Virgie Eagles, and I remember the old Mullins school too. I remember when the Cavs took down mighty Pikeville 14-0 in 1984. I was 9 years old, and I remember hugging my idol (my brother) after the game was over. First time we beat them in 16 years, and it was the last time we beat them. We beat Whitesburg that year too, and it was also the last time we beat them. That was a great year. Those were my childhood days. Going to all of the Jenkins games at all of those great fields, making all of those trips..wouldnt trade them for the world. I remember watching Brent Coleman years later, and I could cry now, knowing he's no longer with us. Same goes for Willie Webb at Neon. I remember crying my eyes out the year after Willie was killed, when his little brother, who idolized Willie, and wore his #7, run back a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown and pointed to the sky the last 20 yards of the run. There wasnt a dry eye at the Dust Bowl that night. I miss The Big Dipper and his radio show ("Goodnight Uncle Joe Herman, wherever you may be")..I miss Wheelwright. I miss when you would go out with a cheerleader at another school, everyone called you a traitor. Didnt matter how hot she was, lol..I miss the days before internet and cell phones, when everything was simpler, and the most important things in your life were football, girls, and cars, in that order. Ah well, those days are long gone, but I am happy that I grew up in those days. I wouldnt change it for the world.
Great post! I too remember those days. They were special. What a great high school football atmosphere during that time.:Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I was sitting here tonight, thinking about the old days. Yeah, Im old enough now (35) to be able to say that and sound like my parents, lol..I miss the way things were, before consolidation took over everywhere. I played at Jenkins, when we were competitive, and on our schedule were teams like Elkhorn City, who would flat out hit you, even in their down years. We battled it out with Whitesburg, Cumberland, and Evarts. We played and fought with MC Napier. We slugged it out in one of the greatest fights of all time with Johns Creek and I remember playing on the absolute worst field in Kentucky, in good ol Fleming Neon. As terrible as that field was, the atmosphere there was unmatched ANYWHERE, and still to this day, remains the best atmosphere of anywhere Ive ever watched a game. Fleming Neon-Whitesburg in the early 90s and early 00s was THE game. Nobody missed it, even us Jenkins guys, who hated both teams, couldnt wait to hear about it. I miss how things were. I miss how schools 10-15 miles apart could hate each other with so much passion, and the entire week, all you could think about was playing them. I miss when Paintsville was great, and challenged great Pikeville teams for district championships. I miss Walter Brugh. I miss how dominant Pikeville was in the 80s, and I miss the first time I lined up against them as a 6'0, 255 lb freshman Tackle and Defensive End in 1990, thinking "so this is what its all about..the three time defending state champions"..I hate more than even the Pikeville people, that theyve become mortal. So Pikeville and Paintsville, please get great again soon. This part of the state NEEDS it. I remember when NOBODY had turf. Or that bermuda grass garbage. Pikeville was the only school around that had that. The rest of us played on grass, and when it rained, you got muddy. I miss that too. I loved when teams would wear the same old jerseys every single year, with rips, tears and stains. I remember when we played Evarts my sophomore year, and they had Scotty Russell and Brad Kirby, and boy those guys could flat out play. We took 'em to overtime and lost 25-19 in a great game. We'd get 'em back my senior year though, and beat 'em 7-6. Playing at Neon, and getting blown out wasnt any fun. Theyd play that "Shout" song over, and over, and over, and over..the fans would go CRAZY. I miss the great Whitesburg and Neon teams, and I miss those powerhouse Elkhorn teams with Kenny O'Quinn and Chad Cure. I DON'T miss travelling to Phelps though. Phelps is a part of Pike County? Seriously? I would have sworn it was a part of Europe or something. I miss when rivalry games meant something. I miss Jack Hall and that wonderful Sidesaddle wing T, which was **** to play against, but a blast to watch from the stands, and Pikeville's Hillard Howard. I miss the Virgie Eagles, and I remember the old Mullins school too. I remember when the Cavs took down mighty Pikeville 14-0 in 1984. I was 9 years old, and I remember hugging my idol (my brother) after the game was over. First time we beat them in 16 years, and it was the last time we beat them. We beat Whitesburg that year too, and it was also the last time we beat them. That was a great year. Those were my childhood days. Going to all of the Jenkins games at all of those great fields, making all of those trips..wouldnt trade them for the world. I remember watching Brent Coleman years later, and I could cry now, knowing he's no longer with us. Same goes for Willie Webb at Neon. I remember crying my eyes out the year after Willie was killed, when his little brother, who idolized Willie, and wore his #7, run back a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown and pointed to the sky the last 20 yards of the run. There wasnt a dry eye at the Dust Bowl that night. I miss The Big Dipper and his radio show ("Goodnight Uncle Joe Herman, wherever you may be")..I miss Wheelwright. I miss when you would go out with a cheerleader at another school, everyone called you a traitor. Didnt matter how hot she was, lol..I miss the days before internet and cell phones, when everything was simpler, and the most important things in your life were football, girls, and cars, in that order. Ah well, those days are long gone, but I am happy that I grew up in those days. I wouldnt change it for the world.

I AGREE I was in that all time greatest fights vs JENKINS @ JOHNS CREEK.THEN CHRIS GANNON lead us to a victory over FLEMING NEON against the running back bothers at NEON.I also tell my son, I played against TIM COUCH (LESILE CO.),they killed us.I had 4 sacks though.
I had suregy my senior year @ PCC,needless to say I STUNK.I still rememeber wanting to beat PIKEVILLE in 92(didn't though went to playoffs vs CUMBLARAND) PIKEVILLE had an awesome QB in JP Blair and running back in JOPLIN but we kept it close untll the 2 half.That was when I was at JOHNS CREEK.LORD,I had so many coaches at PCC 1ST year it was PAUL MAY,ROYCE MAYO,FANNIN from PHELPS,and a bunch of assitants included PIKEVILLE's head coach but I thought I was smarter than they was.There wasn't nothing like winning and beatiful girls,how time has change.I then went to MOREHEAD to play football but didn't last long messed my knee up.I now lived my life though my son,he playes at PCC.This is his 2nd year.PCC HAS stepped it up, but it still hard to get love .Everyone thinks PCC is still a dud,it's time to prove them wrong.I still want to mention the coaches at JOHNS CREEK---LAMB,A.TAYLOR,SLONE,SUHR and TAYLOR.
Hey Hoss man, write me a book of those great memories so I can live some of them.

Greatest post I have ever seen on here or any h.s. site.:Clap:
Great post TH. I also grew up and played in those days and oh how I too miss the way it was. Loved the small schools team spirit and iron man football when the only time you come off the field was at halftime. Man, there were some great rivalry games all around the mountians. And those were the days fans could line the field, walk the sidelines and were very much a part of the game. Those old fields at Wheelwright, Neon, Elkhorn City, Johns Creek, Whitesburg were special and will always hold a place in my heart.
3,000 to 5.000 filling up the football fields at Whitesburg and Fleming-Neon to watch the battles between the orange and black and the purple and gold was priceless. The Fleming-Neon fans throwing oranges and the Whitesburg fans throwing rubber rats were priceless but you hardly ever seen any fighting between the teams while they were playing or much problems between the fans.
I played at EC in the mid-late 70's. I remember going to jenkins in 1976 as a freshman. We had won 24 straight regular season games, was state runner up in 1973. We were heavily favored but went in too over confident I guess and left there with 14-8 loss. The aptly named Lawarence Paine inflicted much Pain on us that night. We could not stop him. We needed a 90 yard kickoff return by Dewey Jamerson, with less than a minute to go in the game, in the last game of the regular season, as Wheelwright beat jenkins,to get into the playoffs. We went on to the state semi-finals before eventually losing 27-6 to state champ Ludlow and their all-state, UK running back, Jim Loksak, who scored all 27 points, on our home field. Precious memories. It was the last game Delano Thomas ever coached as a head coach. He was a great coach and quit at a very young age to enter the family business. he was an assistant for many years at Whitesburg after that. All of the old fields mentioned above are near and dear to my heart. I played on all of them. I graduated from EC in 1979 but was on the varsity from 7th grade on up and built many memories of high school football, especially having the privledge to play for such coaches as Coach Thomas and Coach Jack Hall. I'm one of the lucky few who can say that.
Elkhorn City had some powerhouses back then. I remember when E.C.& Pikeville were HUGE rivals back in the day. A lot of people may not know that E.C was the first in Pike Co. to win a state championship in football (1964 ).
Big Five-0- Wrote:Elkhorn City had some powerhouses back then. I remember when E.C.& Pikeville were HUGE rivals back in the day. A lot of people may not know that E.C was the first in Pike Co. to win a state championship in football (1964 ).

Yes sir, under the great Jack Hall. Lynch was another eastern Kentucky powerhouse back in the day..My dad and uncles all played against them, and the stories they tell about those games against Lynch were horror stories, lol..
jetpilot Wrote:Greatest post I have ever seen on here or any h.s. site.:Clap:
Thank you, my friend. Pass that "Get great again soon" bit to the Panthers, lol..
Man, how can i forget what a power house Lynch was at that time! Some of you Lynch fans of that time need to get on here and tell us about some of those great games that were played back then.:Thumbs:
Big Five-0- Wrote:Man, how can i forget what a power house Lynch was at that time! Some of you Lynch fans of that time need to get on here and tell us about some of those great games that were played back then.:Thumbs:

The problem is that many of these posters was born 10 years or more after Lynch closed. Lynch was a superpower back in the day.
I'm 52 and am from Poplar Creek in Whitley County. Our football team was towards the end of 47 game losing streak when I went there and the stands were still filled. It was the only thing to do on Friday nights. We didn't care about the losing streak. We just wanted to watch some football. Loved it then and love it now. Great post buddy.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:The problem is that many of these posters was born 10 years or more after Lynch closed. Lynch was a superpower back in the day.

Wymt did a document on that Lynch team, pretty good story.
adopted purple Wrote:I'm 52 and am from Poplar Creek in Whitley County. Our football team was towards the end of 47 game losing streak when I went there and the stands were still filled. It was the only thing to do on Friday nights. We didn't care about the losing streak. We just wanted to watch some football. Loved it then and love it now. Great post buddy.

Back then, 90% of the student body as well as most of the community went to the games. Too many fat kids playing video games all night long these days.
I agree that consolidation killed the small school. Not only did it kill the small school, but it took down the community's around them as well.

I know Dilce Combs didnt have football, but if anyone can remember the times around the early to mid 90's. Going to a Dilce Combs basketball game was the thing to do. Whitaker Athletic Center was like a mecca to me. Painting my face before the games in the "ultimate warrior" style. Games involving M.C Napier and Hazard were one of a kind and the true rivalry and spirit didnt quiet make it to PCC. (Yes for the first few years the crowd and pep sections were rocking, but not quiet the same.) They're seemed to be a sense of school spirit that went with Dilce Combs that disappeared with PCC.
I'll never forget being about 10 years old spending the week in Lexington/Richmond having to go shopping for clothes everyday because Dilce just kept winning. Then the All A state championship game with the kid missing the final put back to seal the win. It seemed like a never ending party after that. I think the entire community met the buses and fans at the Perry line and ******ed them on into the Whitaker Athletic Center.

It wasnt just basketball and other athletics that the people got behind. The art department, the DECCA club, band, baseball, cross country, cheer leading, and academics. All were talked about and important to the community.

Im trying to think of a different word " S Court" for some reason its blocked. lol
csabo17 Wrote:I agree that consolidation killed the small school. Not only did it kill the small school, but it took down the community's around them as well.

I know Dilce Combs didnt have football, but if anyone can remember the times around the early to mid 90's. Going to a Dilce Combs basketball game was the thing to do. Whitaker Athletic Center was like a mecca to me. Painting my face before the games in the "ultimate warrior" style. Games involving M.C Napier and Hazard were one of a kind and the true rivalry and spirit didnt quiet make it to PCC. (Yes for the first few years the crowd and pep sections were rocking, but not quiet the same.) They're seemed to be a sense of school spirit that went with Dilce Combs that disappeared with PCC.
I'll never forget being about 10 years old spending the week in Lexington/Richmond having to go shopping for clothes everyday because Dilce just kept winning. Then the All A state championship game with the kid missing the final put back to seal the win. It seemed like a never ending party after that. I think the entire community met the buses and fans at the Perry line and ******ed them on into the Whitaker Athletic Center.

It wasnt just basketball and other athletics that the people got behind. The art department, the DECCA club, band, baseball, cross country, cheer leading, and academics. All were talked about and important to the community.

Im trying to think of a different word " S Court" for some reason its blocked. lol
Yeah I thought about Dilce Combs too..I was saving that for my basketball thread, lol..DC had some GREAT teams (All A champs in '93 I believe) that you had to deal with every year, and they had an awesome atmosphere in that gym..I still love that gym..
Great post, I just had a great stroll down memory lane!!

:Thumbs:
I still love to hear my dad tell war stories from that era!!!
I played back in those days -93. It was a lot of fun and much more exciting before consolidation.
I don't think there is a dry eye on this site. At least not from the vets. I may not be nearly as old as you Hoss, but I was in HS when cell phones were a rarity. I know my concerns during the 4 years I was in high school was football, women, & cars. Life was grand. Although, I have no affiliation to any team you've mentioned I have very similar memories and dealings with high school football in the mountains. Thank you for digging up dem bones, it really was therapy.
This is truly a great post. I agree consolidation has taken much pride away from communities. There was nothing like running out of the field house at Elkhorn City. I remember the last Homecoming game for Johns Creek. They played Elkhorn City, coached by Royce Mayo. EC went in at halftime trailing by several scores, I can't remember exactly how many but after halftime Eddie Morton and Joe Williams took control. The line that EC had that year was great. I am guessing that the average weight of the line was around 270. They could get it done. I grew up involved with EC football and mountain football in general, from waterboy to Fullback and Linebacker. There were so many great moments to ever write down. The end of the EKMC was the beginning of the end in my mind. Don't get me wrong I do believe that consolidation has it's good points but for us mountain folks, it will never be the same.
adopted purple Wrote:I'm 52 and am from Poplar Creek in Whitley County. Our football team was towards the end of 47 game losing streak when I went there and the stands were still filled. It was the only thing to do on Friday nights. We didn't care about the losing streak. We just wanted to watch some football. Loved it then and love it now. Great post buddy.

I didnt know that about you purple.
Thats a great sotry.
I remember when they tore down the old poplar creek school in order to build the new one. (Now Whitley East Elementary, Poplar Creek and Nevisdale Combined.
That school had a lot of memories in it. I myself spent a few years at Woodbine.
There are so many elementary schools in Whitley County that go back a LONG way in history.
Pleasant View, which was Boone High School at one time, Oak Grove Elementary which has been open for a very long time and the old Woodbine and Rockholds school that is now the alternative school.
Consolidation really helped Whitley County as a whole and thats when football started in the early sixties for high school as a whole, but it brings back a lot of memories.
Times have definitely changed...
Pages: 1 2