Poll: Which One Do You Prefer/Like Best
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Veer
65.00%
Double Wing
35.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Veer vs. Double Wing
bulldog42 Wrote:I haven't seen Estill just heard they were running the true double wing. Don't really know for sure. Here is a link to the Godfather of the true double wing. I think you can get videos off of that site. If you research his name some you can probably dig up playbooks videos etc. Don Markham.
http://www.coachmarkham.com/

Stray LC ran a lot of what Belfry does. A lot of people from other states call it the double dive Chuke called it Belly Read (some confusion sometimes because Belly is a staple in the WingT and a totally different play). Chuke ran a lot of Belly and short Belly which changes the aiming point for the FB and the read key for the QB. When teams overplayed that side he ran Inside Veer to the 1 tech weakside. The luxury that team had is that you couldn't bring safeties in the box because you left Parker one on one and he was arguably top 2 and definatly top 5 high school WR in KY history. I coached Gerad his Fresh year and Spence. The thing most people don't realize is Spencer Harris had more yds than Parker the year they played together but Spence never played football after that year. He went on to start Shortstop 4 years at Virginia Tech and was a team captain. He's coming back here to be a Dr soon hopefully. (just a little history for ya those guys were SO talented!).
In the early 90's when the foundation was built at LC we ran a play that looked just like Belly Read but was safer with no read. We faked fullback, T+TE blocked down and Guard kicked out playside. Fullback filled for playside pulling guard. QB faked FB and gave to the TB off tackle. Looks just like Belly read but no reading and you have a kickout block.
The nice thing about the belly read as a double option is that you don't have to pitch the ball so it's a little less dangerous. All of them have to be repped to death. Belfry runs an offense much like LC did in the late 90's. They also mix in some blast etc like the early 90's LC teams ran.
Dontae, Jason Michael and the Short's added another threat to Belly because once you started sucking in they would pull the ball from both backs and keep it around the end. It's a whole new problem to deal with when you can do that.

I remember how talented those teams were..I was coming right into high school when they were about to graduate..spent a year in school with Gerad before he graduated...just imagine if Spence could have lined up along Gerad as a wideout :yikes: