Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt Clevenger: 15th Region Player of the Year
The King Wrote:Also, I would imagine that 1994 was Todd Conley. And 1993 would probably have been J.J. Hylton.

I think Hef was the '94 POY, but J.J. is at least 2 and maybe 3 years older than him. So he was the '91 or '92 Player of the Year.

Thanks for the help.
2009 - Matt Clevenger - Pikeville
2008 - Landon Slone - Paintsville
2007 - Jamie Case - Belfry
2006 - Brad Lowe - PC
2005 - Aaron Branham - East Ridge
2004 - Chase Lyons - PC
2003 - Michael Hall - SF
2002 - Shawn Newsome - AC
2001 - Shannon Akers - Shelby Valley
2000 - Tommy Mackenzie - JC
1999 -
1998 - J.R. VanHoose - Paintsville
1997 -
1996 - Jamie Hamilton - Pike Central
1995 - Jeremy Hall - Allen Central
1994 - Todd Conley - Elkhorn City
1993 -
1992 - J.J. Hylton - Belfry

Could '93 have been Steven Staton of Belfry? Did Shawn Scott of Pike Central win this award in '99? My best guess for '97 would be Barry Crum of Belfry, Josh Leathers of Elkhorn City, or Josh MacKenzie of Paintsville.
Leonidas is Clevenger the only player from Pikeville or do you go back further to find more info? The info is great to know they are alot of great players on the list great job to all who is looking

Way to go Matt good luck to you sorry that there are a couple on here that want let you enjoy what a great player you are.
I will not allow people to ruin this thread to congratulate a very talented young man on a terrific career in basketball. Offtopic stops here and now or will result in as many violations as I can throw out.
Leonidas Wrote:Did Shawn Scott of Pike Central win this award in '99?

Shawn Scott's last year was 2001. Could 1999 have been Jonathan Wright from Belfry maybe? Also, 1993 (if not Steven Staton) could have been Shane Hale from Sheldon Clark...
PC_You_Know Wrote:Logan Bryant, Devan Adams, Head from Betsy Layne, Welch, no one else should have gotten a vote?

If one of these players are out does it change their teams season?
Now What Wrote:If one of these players are out does it change their teams season?

Yes, because Elisha was out for a period of time as well.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Yes, because Elisha was out for a period of time as well.

Whats Elisha have to do with this? Matt means alot more to the Panthers than the other players mentioned. Point being the other teams season would not have changed if they had not played.
good job
congrats matt,great season
Matt, you've had quite a career and influenced a lot of young players. Some have expressed that they want to be just like you!! That alone says much.
The PHS fans are going to miss seeing you on the floor after you being there for the past six years. We hope you decide on a college close enough that we can go see you play. Our best wishes go with you wherever. You are a fine young gentleman. Congratulations, you are POY of the 15th Region.
That is a good post Gazelle the younger kids really look up to Clevenger i know my son does as well!!!
Now What Wrote:Whats Elisha have to do with this? Matt means alot more to the Panthers than the other players mentioned. Point being the other teams season would not have changed if they had not played.

I don't think Valley beats JC or Lawrence at region without Elisha. He scored close to 30 points in each game and Valley was still biting nails until the 4th quarter in each game.
Leonidas the 99 15th. poy. was John Mims of Pikeville look like Clevenger has another panther on this list with him.
The 97 15th player of the year that joins Clevenger is Thomas Jenkins of Allen Central.
Congratulations Matt! The fact of the matter is that this award goes to a senior player. Of all the senior players in the region, Clevenger does have the best numbers and was most valuable to his team. Now I agree that there would still be a debate on the regions best player, which I know all of you will say is Justice, but his time will come next year. Clevenger is a great basketball player and is very deserving of this award. Congratulations Matt, and I hope to see you in a college jersey next year.
crazyfan4 Wrote:Congratulations Matt! The fact of the matter is that this award goes to a senior player. Of all the senior players in the region, Clevenger does have the best numbers and was most valuable to his team. Now I agree that there would still be a debate on the regions best player, which I know all of you will say is Justice, but his time will come next year. Clevenger is a great basketball player and is very deserving of this award. Congratulations Matt, and I hope to see you in a college jersey next year.

Matt should definitely be playing college ball somewhere.
this is a little off topic but what colleges is on his list.
jive75 Wrote:Leonidas the 99 15th. poy. was John Mims of Pikeville look like Clevenger has another panther on this list with him.

I was thinking that Mims might have been that one, but wasn't for sure.

Thanks for the info.
2009 - Matt Clevenger - Pikeville
2008 - Landon Slone - Paintsville
2007 - Jamie Case - Belfry
2006 - Brad Lowe - PC
2005 - Aaron Branham - East Ridge
2004 - Chase Lyons - PC
2003 - Michael Hall - SF
2002 - Shawn Newsome - AC
2001 - Shannon Akers - Shelby Valley
2000 - Tommy Mackenzie - JC
1999 - John Mims - Pikeville
1998 - J.R. VanHoose - Paintsville
1997 - Thomas Jenkins - Allen Central
1996 - Jamie Hamilton - Pike Central
1995 - Jeremy Hall - Allen Central
1994 - Todd Conley - Elkhorn City
1993 -
1992 - J.J. Hylton - Belfry
1991 -
1990 -

Can anyone fill in these 3 years ('90, '91, and '93)?
Was Jody Thompson the '90 POY?
Gratz Matt.
Leonidas i would think Thompson would be a lock for sure if he was in the class of 90. Thanks for the hard work Clevenger will go down in history with some great players!
I agree jive75 i would say that Thompson was the 90 poy.Good luck to Clevenger in the east west all star game as well.
Thompson did graduate in '90. I can try to find out about '90 and '91 for certain.