Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 63 - Phelps 60 (15th All-A championship)
I think Phelps has a awesome team this year, Keep your heads up girls , Your making alot of people stand up and take notice, Hope you all go all the way this year, Lets go KK and the rest of the Lady Hornets, I never was a fan of the Hornets, But I think you should give credit were credit is due and I think they are doing great this season., It seems like maybe I am becoming a fan after all, LOL.
Then why is it called the 15th Region All "A" tournament? Just solve the whole problem and rename the darn thing if they don't want people upset!
PHSdancefan Wrote:Then why is it called the 15th Region All "A" tournament? Just solve the whole problem and rename the darn thing if they don't want people upset!

I agree completely!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
jammin' jamey Wrote:The officials couldn't stop play because Phelps didn't have possession and until the ball goes out of bounds, changes hands after a made basket or a foul is called - officials cannot stop play. That's the rule if I'm not mistaken and I understand why many fans don't get it or agree with it. However, there are instantances where a player "acts" hurt to try and stop a play or take a break. THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN last night Kayla, however it does happen from time to time in games whether people want to admit to it or not.

As for a 3A school winning the All "A". Simply put, this isn't a state sanctioned event and the All "A" committee as the right to invite any team to play under certain criteria that they create. I personally think it's bull. But, unless you want a class system in basketball as in football, fans have to stop bellyaching about it.

I don't want a class system in basketball and class had nothing to do in last night's victory for Sheldon Clark.

officials dont always do the right thing,ie; gave the ball t oRatliff to shoot a foul shot and when SC wanted to sub in they took the ball away and let her sub in,once the player is handed the ball it's considered in play,2nd example,let SC call a time out when 2 players were trying to get a lose ball and neither player had posession,they were several more instances but the point is made. i would lose focus to under those circumstances. ------------- did a good job officiating but the guy from ******* and *** well lets just say typical 15th region LOL
HORNET POWER Wrote:officials dont always do the right thing,ie; gave the ball t oRatliff to shoot a foul shot and when SC wanted to sub in they took the ball away and let her sub in,once the player is handed the ball it's considered in play,2nd example,let SC call a time out when 2 players were trying to get a lose ball and neither player had posession,they were several more instances but the point is made. i would lose focus to under those circumstances.the colonel did a good job officiating but the guy from Belfry and Wes well lets just say typical 15th region LOL

UM.... one of the ref's was from Johnson Central.... I actually went to college with him so I know him....

Shady Grady is the coolest screen name of all time. Nice picture too. You havent aged a bit.lol.
HORNET POWER Wrote:officials dont always do the right thing,ie; gave the ball t oRatliff to shoot a foul shot and when SC wanted to sub in they took the ball away and let her sub in,once the player is handed the ball it's considered in play,2nd example,let SC call a time out when 2 players were trying to get a lose ball and neither player had posession,they were several more instances but the point is made. i would lose focus to under those circumstances.the colonel did a good job officiating but the guy from Belfry and Wes well lets just say typical 15th region LOL

How come some people are allowed to get on there and post things about the officials and when it is in certain schools favor it is left on and when the same things are said not in certain schools favor the moderator takes it off.
Just A Fan 1 Wrote:How come some people are allowed to get on there and post things about the officials and when it is in certain schools favor it is left on and when the same things are said not in certain schools favor the moderator takes it off.

Because the member did not bash or discuss in detail the officials. This was a irritable spot for me as well yet, I did keep to myself my thoughts. Believe me, IF there is any names posted (you will find those are edited) I will personally delete them!!!

phs1986 Wrote:Because the member did not bash or discuss in detail the officials. This was a irritable spot for me as well yet, I did keep to myself my thoughts. Believe me, IF there is any names posted (you will find those are edited) I will personally delete them!!!

WE KNOW: Clap:
I know it's been stated on here before, but the schools involved in the All-A Classic are all "small schools" when compared to the bigger schools downstate. The tournament does still represent the little guys, it's just that some schools that weren't little guys when the event was started ARE little guys now. Enrollments are dropping everywhere, especially around here.

There are several reasons why a school can be class 2A or 3A in football but still be invited to this event. First, the only sport that has classes recognized by the KHSAA is football. That's it. And football classifications only take into account male enrollment, which makes perfect sense as they are the only ones that can play that sport. But a basketball event will consider both male and female enrollment, since boys and girls teams are involved. So, a school with many more male students could be higher in football, but still not indicative of the school's total enrollment.

Another reason is that KHSAA divides the schools into six classes, which means that the class A schools in football are in the bottom 1/6 of male enrollment in the state. This is different from a few years ago when there were four classes, when being class A meant you were in the bottom 1/4 of enrollment. When the realignment occurred, several schools on the upper end of class A were shifted into the new 2A class. The folks behind the All-A tournament may still be using numbers more closely resembling the pre-realignment cutoff points.

In the end, no one should be implying that schools like Phelps and Pikeville are David, as opposed to the Goliaths of Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg. Sure, SV and P-Burg may be a little bigger, but the difference isn't as much as some might think. If one looks at the respective enrollments, those schools are a lot closer to being David than they are Goliath.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I know it's been stated on here before, but the schools involved in the All-A Classic are all "small schools" when compared to the bigger schools downstate. The tournament does still represent the little guys, it's just that some schools that weren't little guys when the event was started ARE little guys now. Enrollments are dropping everywhere, especially around here.

There are several reasons why a school can be class 2A or 3A in football but still be invited to this event. First, the only sport that has classes recognized by the KHSAA is football. That's it. And football classifications only take into account male enrollment, which makes perfect sense as they are the only ones that can play that sport. But a basketball event will consider both male and female enrollment, since boys and girls teams are involved. So, a school with many more male students could be higher in football, but still not indicative of the school's total enrollment.

Another reason is that KHSAA divides the schools into six classes, which means that the class A schools in football are in the bottom 1/6 of male enrollment in the state. This is different from a few years ago when there were four classes, when being class A meant you were in the bottom 1/4 of enrollment. When the realignment occurred, several schools on the upper end of class A were shifted into the new 2A class. The folks behind the All-A tournament may still be using numbers more closely resembling the pre-realignment cutoff points.

In the end, no one should be implying that schools like Phelps and Pikeville are David, as opposed to the Goliaths of Shelby Valley and Prestonsburg. Sure, SV and P-Burg may be a little bigger, but the difference isn't as much as some might think. If one looks at the respective enrollments, those schools are a lot closer to being David than they are Goliath.

I honestly think that 250 students is a BIG difference.... According to the Pike County schools website, Shelby Valley has "597 students currently enrolled in grades 9-12." Phelps has 340 in grades 9-12. This IMHO is a big size differential..... if your talking enrollment!

hootie Wrote:They pick the schools with the lowest enrollment over the whole state. Some schools do not make the cut. I know East Ridge is said to be real close. I think it is like 125 schools.

I thought that East Ridge kept a 750+ student body, probably the highest in Pike County...

I wonder, because if class size (A, AA, AAA) doesn't matter at all, WHY call a basketball tournament the ALL A if it doesn't even matter at all?
donathanhurley Wrote:I wonder, because if class size (A, AA, AAA) doesn't matter at all, WHY call a basketball tournament the ALL A if it doesn't even matter at all?

OH .... Mr. Donathan you have made such a valid point!!!!

phs1986 Wrote:OH .... Mr. Donathan you have made such a valid point!!!!

I thought so myself.
Big Grin
Good win Cardinals and Phelps needs to quit making excuses!!
Just Ball It Wrote:Good win Cardinals and Phelps needs to quit making excuses!!

Making excuses????.......Then the next time Phelps beats somebody, stop bringing up that there is only 1 true Phelps player and the rest are transfers!!!! We just simply stated that the game was outta control, the refs made some bad calls, and if it's going to be called "the 15th Region All "A" Classic, then ALL "A" schools should be in it!!! We're not taking anything away from the Lady Cards....They played hard and we blew a good lead. It's not at all making excuses, it's just voicing our opinion about the game.....isn't that what this site is about anyway???
EXCELLENT post PHSdancefan!! Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Just Ball It Wrote:Good win Cardinals and Phelps needs to quit making excuses!!
first of all the subject of class A,AA,AAA,OR A B OR C LOL IMO doesn't really matter much to the players or coaches unless you are looking for an excuse for a loss,,,lol..
and again IMO i think it gives players a little bit more incentive to play harder to prove that they can play with the bigger schools...and be just as good if not better..and coaches take a little more time on their way of thinking about their game plan..

so as for PHELPS whining ?? that's just plain silly..lol if i 'm wrong here i'm sure some one will correct me ..but i think someone other that a Phelps Fan is just running this in the ground ppl. sorry!!
our Lady Hornets played an excellent tournament.. nothing to be ashamed of girls..

GOOD LUCK to the Lady Cards this week ...
SC-299 girls. 658 overall
Phelps-141 girls. 313 overall
SC has more girls in the 9th and 10th grade than Phelps 9-12 grade.
Side note:
Riverside 11 girls 9-12
Henry County 325 girls 667 overall
CAL-342 girls
Congrats to both teams on a great game.
Great job to both teams...you both played a good game. I think there is good things to come from both teams.
as soon as anyone has the results from their game, please post some info..
No one seemed to be complaining about the All "A" when Phelps defeated the "bigger" Shelby Valley.
phs1986 Wrote:I honestly think that 250 students is a BIG difference.... According to the Pike County schools website, Shelby Valley has "597 students currently enrolled in grades 9-12." Phelps has 340 in grades 9-12. This IMHO is a big size differential..... if your talking enrollment!

250 students IS a substantial difference, but then Phelps is one of the smaller schools in the football classifications. I would say that Pikeville's enrollment is a lot closer to Shelby Valley's than that.

Obviously even within what is considered class A there are still going to be big differences. Sure, a school like Shelby Valley has a bigger enrollment than a school like Phelps. But then, Phelps has a much larger enrollment than a school like Riverside Christian and some of the private schools. So if it's unfair for Phelps to compete against schools like SV in the All-A, then it's equally unfair for a school like Riverside to have to share the All-A with schools like Phelps. What's fair and what's not is all relative depending on your perspective.

In the end, I still don't see how a school with less than 600 students is considered to be a "big" school. In comparison to the larger schools downstate, it is most certainly not anywhere close to "big".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
donathanhurley Wrote:I wonder, because if class size (A, AA, AAA) doesn't matter at all, WHY call a basketball tournament the ALL A if it doesn't even matter at all?

PHSdancefan Wrote:Making excuses????.......Then the next time Phelps beats somebody, stop bringing up that there is only 1 true Phelps player and the rest are transfers!!!! We just simply stated that the game was outta control, the refs made some bad calls, and if it's going to be called "the 15th Region All "A" Classic, then ALL "A" schools should be in it!!! We're not taking anything away from the Lady Cards....They played hard and we blew a good lead. It's not at all making excuses, it's just voicing our opinion about the game.....isn't that what this site is about anyway???

Because, as has been stated on here several times, there is no such thing as classes in basketball. Class A, 2A, 3A, and so on only exists in football. There has never been an actual class A school in basketball. When it comes to this tournament, the organizers designated a cutoff point, and all schools with enrollment below that point would be considered as "A" and allowed to participate. So actually, it is all "A" schools in the tournament, because the organizers of the All-A Classic have decided that they are.

Notice that the name of the tournament isn't called "Kentucky Class A Basketball Championship". The organizers couldn't do that, because that would imply a state-sanctioned title for the winner. But since everyone associates the term "A" with small schools, they instead it is called the All-A Classic, so as to emphasize the premise of it being a statewide tournament just for small schools. Maybe they should call the tournament the "Kentucky Small School Classic" to avoid any confusion, but it is what it is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Why do they only count the numbers of 10-12 graders when classify for the All A?
congats to sheldon clark
After reading back through this one I feel that it has run it's course. Sheldon Clark is moving on to the All A tournament and this one isn't a topic of discussion about the game any longer..

CLOSED!