•  Previous
  • 9(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Belfry 2023
(07-18-2023, 05:31 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 02:11 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: Big question here for belfry fans…

If Haywood struggles the next couple of years, with early exits, and more players leaving…while Jones excels at Mingo, do you ask him to step aside and throw him out or do you stay loyal until it’s over for him
This sounds very similar to what happened with Ivan McGlone at Russell.  He had been there for several decades and won 2 State titles but after a few down years at the end of his career was forced out.  Hopefully this isn’t what happens with the legendary coach at Belfry.
I can promise you that WILL NOT happen.   Not with Haywood.   He’s on a different level.
[-] The following 3 users Like OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Fanatic42, Hatz, Khalisimo
(07-17-2023, 02:46 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 02:11 PM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote: Big question here for belfry fans…

If Haywood struggles the next couple of years, with early exits, and more players leaving…while Jones excels at Mingo, do you ask him to step aside and throw him out or do you stay loyal until it’s over for him
Jones hasn't proved he can excel anywhere yet.

He has proven he can find wins in the regular season after getting established and get more talent and excitement on the field... but he is 1-5 in the playoffs since 2016.

Mingo Central was not a good football team last year. They were 3-7. It's going to take him a few years just to to get that ship pointed in the right direction again even in the shallow waters of WV small school football.

Haywood has earned the right to dictate that when he decides to walk away it will be on his terms.
I agree.  Jones hasn't proven he can beat anything but mediocre teams at best.  Coach Haywood is the goat, plain and simple.
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • BellCOUNTYfaithfull, Bull got out!
Who’s Belfry scrimmaging with this year? I assume the Raceland series is still on.
(07-20-2023, 08:37 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Who’s Belfry scrimmaging with this year? I assume the Raceland series is still on.
raceland and perry central
(07-19-2023, 04:35 PM)Westside Wrote:

He has proven he can find wins in the regular season after getting established and get more talent and excitement on the field... but he is 1-5 in the playoffs since 2016.

Mingo Central was not a good football team last year. They were 3-7. It's going to take him a few years just to to get that ship pointed in the right direction again even in the shallow waters of WV small school football.

Haywood has earned the right to dictate that when he decides to walk away it will be on his terms.
I agree.  Jones hasn't proven he can beat anything but mediocre teams at best.  Coach Haywood is the goat, plain and simple.

gonna disagree with you there, definitely not plain and simple the goat and is #3 at best in my opinion.

Bob Beatty from Trinity with and win percentage 10%+ higher and his 15-2 championship game record is the goat. best ever. Dale Mueller from highlands also won 11 of 13 championships and has a win percentage 12% higher. Haywood is 8-6 in the big game.
Just because you coach longer doesn’t make you the Goat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fansville's post:
  • Hatz
metropolitan areas probably play a role in that...... for all the talk about transfers over the years..... haywood has been pulling from the mighty williamson WV metro.

not really the same as cinci or louisville metro in my opinion
[-] The following 2 users Like Khalisimo's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty, Westside
(07-20-2023, 10:44 PM)fansville Wrote:

gonna disagree with you there, definitely not plain and simple the goat and is #3 at best in my opinion.

Bob Beatty from Trinity with and win percentage 10%+ higher and his 15-2 championship game record is the goat. best ever. Dale Mueller from highlands also won 11 of 13 championships and has a win percentage 12% higher. Haywood is 8-6 in the big game.

(07-21-2023, 09:04 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: metropolitan areas probably play a role in that...... for all the talk about transfers over the years..... haywood has been pulling from the mighty williamson WV metro.

I couldn't have stated it any better myself.
(07-21-2023, 10:55 AM)Westside Wrote:
(07-20-2023, 10:44 PM)fansville Wrote:

(07-21-2023, 09:04 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: metropolitan areas probably play a role in that...... for all the talk about transfers over the years..... haywood has been pulling from the mighty williamson WV metro.

I couldn't have stated it any better myself.

This ignores the fact that they played proportionally more difficult schedule and still got the wins/championships. If they were playing Belfry’s schedule with the metro talent pool then you might be onto something. I can see where you can make the argument though, just depends on how you look at it I guess. At the end of the day, all of them are great coaches and some of the best in state history.
lol district games are district games but to say belfry doesnt usually play tough competition is the dumbest thing ive read on this website and thats really saying something.

dale mueller really did a great job taking unknown little highlands and making them a dominant program.. wait they won 12 state titles before he got there????

i wont even get into the logistics of comparing the guy who coaches at what might as well be a prep school from the biggest city in the state....
(07-21-2023, 12:20 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: lol district games are district games but to say belfry doesnt usually play tough competition is the dumbest thing ive read on this website and thats really saying something.

dale mueller really did a great job taking unknown little highlands and making them a dominant program.. wait they won 12 state titles before he got there????

i wont even get into the logistics of comparing the guy who coaches at what might as well be a prep school from the biggest city in the state....
I never said Belfry didn’t play tough competition so the dumbest thing in this situation is you drawing that conclusion. Read all the words next time before you try to be a wise ass.

All I said is that the teams Trinity are playing are proportionally better than the teams Belfry plays. That is to be expected because they are a 6A team and pretty much a prep school as you said. The fact still remains both play difficult schedules relative to their class. Sorry I don’t agree that your hometown hero is the best to do it, just my opinion.
(07-21-2023, 12:42 PM)fansville Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 12:20 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: lol district games are district games but to say belfry doesnt usually play tough competition is the dumbest thing ive read on this website and thats really saying something.

I never said Belfry didn’t play tough competition so the dumbest thing in this situation is you drawing that conclusion. Read all the words next time before you try to be a wise ass.

All I said is that the teams Trinity are playing are proportionally better than the teams Belfry plays. That is to be expected because they are a 6A team and pretty much a prep school as you said. The fact still remains both play difficult schedules relative to their class. Sorry I don’t agree that your hometown hero is the best to do it, just my opinion.
ill bet joey chestnut eats more than kyle larson for dinner too.

not my hometown hero but i recognize greatness.

I think it’s important to simply appreciate greatness and not compare who was better.  IMO Haywood’s legacy will be that he helped put Eastern Kentucky football on the map and created a blueprint for programs in the Eastern part of the state to elevate their game.

For me Haywood’s legacy is larger than Belfry and he helped change the attitude of football in EKY.  Prior to Belfry’s run football in the Eastern part of the state was hit and miss in terms of consistency and now the East holds a respectable position across the state and regularly wins State titles.  I think there is a valid argument that Belfry played a very large role in setting this standard and paving the path for EKY football to be where it is currently.
(07-21-2023, 12:53 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

I think it’s important to simply appreciate greatness and not compare who was better.  IMO Haywood’s legacy will be that he helped put Eastern Kentucky football on the map and created a blueprint for programs in the Eastern part of the state to elevate their game.

For me Haywood’s legacy is larger than Belfry and he helped change the attitude of football in EKY.  Prior to Belfry’s run football in the Eastern part of the state was hit and miss in terms of consistency and now the East holds a respectable position across the state and regularly wins State titles.  I think there is a valid argument that Belfry played a very large role in setting this standard and paving the path for EKY football to be where it is currently.
thats a big reason i take it so personally
[-] The following 1 user Likes Khalisimo's post:
  • Westside
There is no denying the greatness of Beatty and Mueller. They were given programs that were already elite and still managed to elevate them to unprecedented levels and create dynasties.

Haywood's greatness lies in doing unprecedented levels of success with fewer resources. 8 State Title and 14 Finals Appearances for a rural Public County school in Appalachia. Belfry was a solid program when he inherited it, but it wasn't an elite program. He had spotty facilities, a spread out school district with windy 2 lane and one lane roads where some kids would have a 35+ minute commute by car, let alone bus, just to get to the school.

To win 8 State Titles and sustain the level of greatness Haywood while building a mecca of football in a town that technically doesn't even have a town like Haywood has over the better part of five decades is wild!

Here's a hypothetical question:
Mueller... 11 State Titles and 3 Runner-Ups
Beatty... 15 State Titles and 2 Runner-Ups

What does those stats look like if Mueller is the Head Coach at Harrison County and Beatty is the Head Coach at Meade County instead for their tenures? Do they have 8 State Titles each at those two schools? Not saying they wouldn't.. but I am positive they don't have 26 State Titles and 31 Finals between them even though both programs would have been pretty solid programs even when they inherited them.
[-] The following 2 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • Bull got out!, Westside
haywood saying im a swifty on tiktok was not on my 2023 football season bingo card
Traveling to Jackson for the season opener. Hoping to see some good defense and some decent offense in this one. I know the intensity and the atmosphere will be there in spades. Hope both Belfry and Breathitt come out of this game without injuries. Glad to see Haywood back on the sidelines also.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

[-] The following 1 user Likes Poseidon's post:
  • Bull got out!
good day of 7 on 7 with martin county belfry looked like they had got better since last time linebackers are quick martin county has some good athletes out they will be better this year
dang k thought you might be rooting for pikeville a little
(07-28-2023, 12:08 AM)jetpilot Wrote: dang k thought you might be rooting for pikeville a little
i love everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was cheering for the cardinals tonight
go panthers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Khalisimo's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-28-2023, 12:12 AM)Khalisimo Wrote:
(07-28-2023, 12:08 AM)jetpilot Wrote: dang k thought you might be rooting for pikeville a little
go panthers

love it k
now tell me what swifty means
^Taylor Swift fan I believe
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • jetpilot
2022 Bourbon Co 3-9 Out 2nd Rd
2021 Bourbon Co 5-6 Out 1st Rd
2020 Bourbon Co 1-6
2019 Bourbon Co 4-7 Out 1st Rd
2018 Phelps 5-5
2017 Phelps 5-5
2016 Phelps 4-6
27-44
(07-28-2023, 01:32 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(07-28-2023, 12:12 AM)Khalisimo Wrote:
go panthers

love it k
now tell me what swifty means

Taylor Swift fan
One of the perks of having a teenage daughter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 2 users Like Jarons's post:
  • Granny Bear, jetpilot
[-] The following 3 users Like Fanatic42's post:
  • Bull got out!, Khalisimo, Rip/Spin
That’s awesome!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Fanatic42
As Far as the Jones Mingo Central conversation goes. Like everyone has said, he will get a few here and there, but any top tier football player knows if you want to get better and to the next level playing Mount Hope, Man, Scott, Chapmanville and etc is not the route to success.

Jones does have a great way of getting kids out to play for his program and marketing those players. His record is somewhat subject but with those attributes if you ask me it makes him a perfect fit for some place like Capital High in Charleston. A school with tons of talent walking the halls, potential D-1 players everywhere that needs a young coach to breathe life back into what was a powerhouse in the state of WV. As soon as someone like that comes calling Coach Jones will take his talents to the top of the classes in the state of WV. He’s padding his resume and getting geographically closer to that possibility.
(08-03-2023, 07:57 PM)VELVET CLOSER Wrote: As Far as the Jones Mingo Central conversation goes. Like everyone has said, he will get a few here and there, but any top tier football player knows if you want to get better and to the next level playing Mount Hope, Man, Scott, Chapmanville and etc is not the route to success. 

Jones does have a great way of getting kids out to play for his program and marketing those players. His record is somewhat subject but with those attributes if you ask me it makes him a perfect fit for some place like Capital High in Charleston. A school with tons of talent walking the halls, potential D-1 players everywhere that needs a young coach to breathe life back into what was a powerhouse in the state of WV. As soon as someone like that comes calling Coach Jones will take his talents to the top of the classes in the state of WV. He’s padding his resume and getting geographically closer to that possibility.
scott, man and chapmanville all beat mingo last year by the way lol
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)