Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Offensive Lines In The State?
#55PirateFan Wrote:Great job on your research! You should be proud. Did my own research just didn't throw out all those "impressive" numbers like you did. I just concluded all my research into simply saying our line blocked for 3 - 1,000 yard rushers this season which is plenty enough for me to think that our line was better and had a better body of work overall. But well done Sir, I congratulate you on your hard work in researching. Its obvious you want recognized for it. Lol
Yards are yards. Whether 3,000 yards are spread among a half dozen backs or three. IMO, it is better to have the same yardage spread out among more backs because it gives you a deeper backfield. It's why JC was able to not miss a beat when their starting fullback went down in the Belfry game. Same line but with interchangeable running backs. While Dixon was out with an injury, Belfry was not the same team.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Johnson Central's "body of work" consisted of 15 wins and no losses against a slightly stronger schedule (according to CalPreps) than Belfry faced and the same average yards per carry (8.7) as Belfry. In addition, JC's passing game produced three times as many yards and three times the number touchdown passes as Belfry's offense did.

I can see where one might take issue with the claim that Johnson Central's offensive line was "hands down" better than Belfry's this season, but I don't see any objective evidence that Belfry's offensive line had a better "body of work" than Johnson Central's line did this season. Not only that, Johnson Central started only one senior on its offensive line this season, so my guess is that the new starters probably improved more during the season than more experienced players would have.

As good as Johnson Central's line was this season, it should be much better next year with the both guards, both tackles, and defensive end all returning for at least one more season.

As for the 2016 season, Johnson Central's offense outgained Belfry while facing one of the best, if not the best, defensive lines in the history of eastern Kentucky high school football.

I would add that they rushed for over 200 yds vs Boyle which is no small feat.
Hatz Wrote:I would add that they rushed for over 200 yds vs Boyle which is no small feat.
:Thumbs: I agree - although Johnson Centrals yards per carry definitely took a hit against Boyle County. Boyle County had a great defensive line but JC did a pretty good job of keeping them out of the backfield.

One thing that jumped out at me when I looked at the stats from that game was how many solo tackles each team had. Both teams got the ball to their play makers in one on one situations but the defense won most of those match-ups by limiting gains after contact.
This topic really isn't worthy of it's own thread, but I think it fits in well here.

JC's first season on the turf was the 2007 campaign and through the Madisonville-North Hopkins game, there have been 102 games played there. Even though the Matney era began in 2004, I look at the 2007 season with the new stadium & turf field as a separate timestamp.

Overall.
83 wins.
19 losses.

69 games played during the regular season.
55 wins.
14 losses.

33 playoff games.
28 wins.
5 losses.

There has been only one overtime game since 2007... that was in 2012 vs. Ashland.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
The best offensive lineman in the state next season will be Grant Bingham of Johnson Central.
Best O lines I saw this year were Male, Trinity, Johnson Central, Belfry, Cov Cath, St X, and George Rogers Clark. Somerset and Breathitt were good for a 2A and Pikeville was good for 1A.
#55PirateFan Wrote:You say J.C. hands down. Why?

I'm not disagreeing with you or even saying their not. Just wanting to know why you think their hands down the best.

I know JC beat Belfry but I still think the Pirates have the better overall O-Line, and that's just my opinion. Like I said before, the Pirates O-Line blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers and only allowed, if any; I honestly can't remember, just a couple of sacks and also outplayed the best D-Line in the state. And very seldom did they have any TFL.

Johnson Central had some monsters, no argument here. Especially the junior, I can't think of his name, but the kid is an absolute stud! And their defiantly one of the top lines. But I just think the Pirates had the better all around line. Like I said, my opinion doesn't mean squat and it's just that, my opinion.

I've always been an Eagle fan and will continue to be. I think their one of the top programs in the state and as long as Coach Mat is running the team there not going anywhere anytime soon. Congrats on the 4A Championship by the way.
It wouldn’t matter if another team had five division one caliber players on it you would still pick your Pirates.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Who is going on and on? I threw out statistics that indicate to me that JC and Belfry both had great offensive lines but effectively refuted your claim that Belfry's line had a better "body of work." We both have an opinion but the main difference is that I took the time to do some research. (I was not the poster that said JC's line was "hands down" better than Belfry's.)
He doesn’t want data or statistics Hoot. You’re just wasting your time debating with him. Belfry’s the number one offensive line in this entire galaxy. If you don’t believe me ask David and Darrell or Kentucky Prep Gridiron. Has anyone ever noticed the complete BS that’s spread around by those two “media sites”? You definitely have to be in their click to get covered by them.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:He doesn’t want data or statistics Hoot. You’re just wasting your time debating with him. Belfry’s the number one offensive line in this entire galaxy. If you don’t believe me ask David and Darrell or Kentucky Prep Gridiron. Has anyone ever noticed the complete BS that’s spread around by those two “media sites”? You definitely have to be in their click to get covered by them.

15 and 16 Belfry O lines are as good as any in mountain history. Size, agility and sheer power. Multiple D 1 signees.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:He doesn’t want data or statistics Hoot. You’re just wasting your time debating with him. Belfry’s the number one offensive line in this entire galaxy. If you don’t believe me ask David and Darrell or Kentucky Prep Gridiron. Has anyone ever noticed the complete BS that’s spread around by those two “media sites”? You definitely have to be in their click to get covered by them.
Belfry does have a good line. Everyone from the age 6 and up know they’re gonna run the ball. They tweak their D and stack the box. But the lineman still are able to open up the gaps and drive down field. If they ran an even offense it’d be one thing. But running 99% of the time and still being able to do it is a testament. Do they have the best line in the state? I don’t know? Probably not. It probably belongs to a trinity type program. But they are still up there. JCs is too. Both can be considered among the best.
How did this turn into THE best offensive line in the state debate? I worded the question as the top offensive lines in the state for a reason. I didn't want it to turn into what it has become. The entire purpose of the thread was to get recognition for guys that usually don't get recognized, but you all are obviously free to post as you want.
Westside Wrote:How did this turn into THE best offensive line in the state debate? I worded the question as the top offensive lines in the state for a reason. I didn't want it to turn into what it has become. The entire purpose of the thread was to get recognition for guys that usually don't get recognized, but you all are obviously free to post as you want.
I’ve got a small sample size (state title game), but #65 from JC is a force on the field. Not only did he appear very talented, but selfless as well. Blocking downfield 20 yards, the small things that make a big difference. He might not be the best in the state. But I’d take him on my team any day of the week!!
I can't effectively answer this, the only line Im really familiar with is Belfry and I'm always impressed with what the coaches do with whatever young men they got. I'd think theyd have to be in the discussion any year you wanna have it. From the 2 games I watched JC(v belfry and the 4a final) Those guys are elite! I honestly can't and won't say belfry had the better of the 2 this year. Also to say this team gained this much and that team only gained that means nothing if you don't consider defences. Just had to throw that out.
Freddy Douglas has to be mentioned as one of the top in the state.
Page 2 and still Trinity
Hound05 Wrote:I’ve got a small sample size (state title game), but #65 from JC is a force on the field. Not only did he appear very talented, but selfless as well. Blocking downfield 20 yards, the small things that make a big difference. He might not be the best in the state. But I’d take him on my team any day of the week!!

He's also a great young man AND only a sophomore!

I can't wait to see what time of player he is in 2 years time!
The best I seen this year is Johnson Central
Hound05 Wrote:Belfry does have a good line. Everyone from the age 6 and up know they’re gonna run the ball. They tweak their D and stack the box. But the lineman still are able to open up the gaps and drive down field. If they ran an even offense it’d be one thing. But running 99% of the time and still being able to do it is a testament. Do they have the best line in the state? I don’t know? Probably not. It probably belongs to a trinity type program. But they are still up there. JCs is too. Both can be considered among the best.

This was kinda the point I was trying to make. The reason I said, and I definitely should have been more clearer, that I thought Belfry had the best line is because that everybody we played stacked the box on us. They all knew what we were going to do. And they still couldn't stop it, at least most of the teams we played couldn't, and all 3 of our backs still rushed for over 1,000 yards. Take a team like Johnson Central who is just as dangerous passing the ball when they want to as they are rushing. To me, this opens the defense up more. Not as near as many in the box. That's why I said I think Belfrys was better. JC no doubt had the better of the two when it comes to pass protection.

And I apologize to Hoot if I came across like I was downing the Eagles, I wasn't.

Like Westside said, this thing went way off topic. The topic was who are some of the best, not the best offensive lines. And there's no arguing this, Johnson Central and Belfry both produce some of the best lines in the state year in and year out and this year is no different.