Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Offensive Lines In The State?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who are some of the top offensive lines in the state? When I ask about offensive lines, I mean the entire unit as a whole, not just individual lineman. These guys hardly ever receive the recognition they deserve, so let's give them some love here.
I will take the homer pick of the Big Red of Belfry. They may not be the best every year, but they usually develop into a real cohesive unit. Besides getting healthy, I think the biggest reason Belfry developed into a championship team this year was the improvement of the O line from game 1 to 14. By the end of the year they were an awesome unit.
BELFRY

Call it a "homer" pick if you want but show me a better line in 3A, maybe even in the state and prove it, and I'll change my mind.

Belfry's offensive line blocked for 3 - 1000 yard rushers this year. And I'm not sure how many times our QB was sacked but I'd almost bet it could be counted on one hand. I'm going to say just those two feats alone put them somewhere at the top.
You all will get no argument from me here. Year in and year out Belfry is among the best if not the best.
I can’t speak for all classes, but I’ll take the the 4 mountain championship winning team’s o-lines against the state!! Especially in their classes!! Obviously Trinity’s 0-line was very good!! Didn’t see any 5A games, so I can’t really have an opinion.
Can one of you Belfry guys list the Belfry lineman and positions they play?
T Sean Cochran
G Aiden Smith
C Ethan Wolford
G Cameron Hensley/Triston Dotson
T Logan McCoy
Maybe PirateFan can help me out here, bc I Didn’t get to watch enough of the game to form an opinion, but how good is the Bell County O-line?!
Boomer_Sooner Wrote:Maybe PirateFan can help me out here, bc I Didn’t get to watch enough of the game to form an opinion, but how good is the Bell County O-line?!

They were pretty good. I won't say anything negative about those kids so I'll limit my comments to the good I saw. What I noticed most were their size. They had nice size. And you could tell that they were some tough, disciplined mountain boys. All in all, I was impressed with them.
Johnson Central.
From the state championship teams I saw this weekend, Belfry, JC and Somerset were the ones that impressed me most, trinity was good but I expected them to be good.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central.

This X 10. :Thumbs:
Belfry always has a top notch line, you come to expect it...I didn’t get to watch any of the championship games but someone who knows football compared Johnson Centrals line this year to the Belfry line that came to Corbin in 16 and dominated....must be some big younguns
Johnson Central

Hands down
Johnson Central O-Line this season was as good as any in the state in any class. Sophomore Tackle Grant Bingham is the best interior lineman in the state.
Who are the line coaches at Belfry and Johnson Central?
Westside Wrote:Who are the line coaches at Belfry and Johnson Central?

At Belfry, it's Coach Anthony Tackett and Coach Nathan Coleman.
Real Badman Wrote:Johnson Central

Hands down

You say J.C. hands down. Why?

I'm not disagreeing with you or even saying their not. Just wanting to know why you think their hands down the best.

I know JC beat Belfry but I still think the Pirates have the better overall O-Line, and that's just my opinion. Like I said before, the Pirates O-Line blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers and only allowed, if any; I honestly can't remember, just a couple of sacks and also outplayed the best D-Line in the state. And very seldom did they have any TFL.

Johnson Central had some monsters, no argument here. Especially the junior, I can't think of his name, but the kid is an absolute stud! And their defiantly one of the top lines. But I just think the Pirates had the better all around line. Like I said, my opinion doesn't mean squat and it's just that, my opinion.

I've always been an Eagle fan and will continue to be. I think their one of the top programs in the state and as long as Coach Mat is running the team there not going anywhere anytime soon. Congrats on the 4A Championship by the way.
Trinity
#55PirateFan Wrote:You say J.C. hands down. Why?

I'm not disagreeing with you or even saying their not. Just wanting to know why you think their hands down the best.

I know JC beat Belfry but I still think the Pirates have the better overall O-Line, and that's just my opinion. Like I said before, the Pirates O-Line blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers and only allowed, if any; I honestly can't remember, just a couple of sacks and also outplayed the best D-Line in the state. And very seldom did they have any TFL.

Johnson Central had some monsters, no argument here. Especially the junior, I can't think of his name, but the kid is an absolute stud! And their defiantly one of the top lines. But I just think the Pirates had the better all around line. Like I said, my opinion doesn't mean squat and it's just that, my opinion.

I've always been an Eagle fan and will continue to be. I think their one of the top programs in the state and as long as Coach Mat is running the team there not going anywhere anytime soon. Congrats on the 4A Championship by the way.
In their head to head matchup, Johnson Central rushed for 451 yards and Belfry rushed for 190 yards. (Belfry's stats for the game showed JC rushing for 448 yards vs. 199 yards for Belfry.)

It's also interesting that even in 2016 in Belfry's 21-16 win over Johnson Central, the Golden Eagles out rushed the Pirates, although the margin was much smaller than it was this year. (Derek Wellman rushed for 152 of Belfry's 191 yards in 2016. He was the difference maker between those two very evenly matched teams.)
Just using the winners of 1A to 4A who would everybody's top 5 lineman be?
Out of all of the games I watched this year, I would rate my top three as, 1. Belfy, 2. Somerset, and 3. Breathitt. On film, Johnson Central was the most dominant, followed by Covington Catholic.

I'm not saying this because I'm from Breathitt, but I expect the Bobcats to field the best offensive line in the 2A next year, with four returning starters.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:In their head to head matchup, Johnson Central rushed for 451 yards and Belfry rushed for 190 yards. (Belfry's stats for the game showed JC rushing for 448 yards vs. 199 yards for Belfry.)

It's also interesting that even in 2016 in Belfry's 21-16 win over Johnson Central, the Golden Eagles out rushed the Pirates, although the margin was much smaller than it was this year. (Derek Wellman rushed for 152 of Belfry's 191 yards in 2016. He was the difference maker between those two very evenly matched teams.)

I got it. JC beat Belfry this year, soundly I might add. Congrats. But this is a discussion about the entire body of work, not just one game. I still think Belfry had the better overall performance over the entire season. I don't think it was the Belfry O-Lines fault that JC scored 50 plus points on the Pirates. They had nothing to do with that.

Glad you brought up the 2016 game. I'm sure MOST of us would agree that that Belfry O-Line was special and probably one of the best in a long time. But yet JC still somehow outgained us. And again, like this years line, they couldn't control how many yards the JC offense rushed for.

At the end of the day its just opinions anyway. Who knows which one is really the best? I'm just glad were able to have this discussion. It just goes to show that Eastern Kentucky football is dominant and have some of the best teams and players in all the state! I usually don't "hashtag" but I have been seeing one that really hits home and thats: #MountainStrong
#55PirateFan Wrote:I got it. JC beat Belfry this year, soundly I might add. Congrats. But this is a discussion about the entire body of work, not just one game. I still think Belfry had the better overall performance over the entire season. I don't think it was the Belfry O-Lines fault that JC scored 50 plus points on the Pirates. They had nothing to do with that.

Glad you brought up the 2016 game. I'm sure MOST of us would agree that that Belfry O-Line was special and probably one of the best in a long time. But yet JC still somehow outgained us. And again, like this years line, they couldn't control how many yards the JC offense rushed for.

At the end of the day its just opinions anyway. Who knows which one is really the best? I'm just glad were able to have this discussion. It just goes to show that Eastern Kentucky football is dominant and have some of the best teams and players in all the state! I usually don't "hashtag" but I have been seeing one that really hits home and thats: #MountainStrong
Johnson Central's "body of work" consisted of 15 wins and no losses against a slightly stronger schedule (according to CalPreps) than Belfry faced and the same average yards per carry (8.7) as Belfry. In addition, JC's passing game produced three times as many yards and three times the number touchdown passes as Belfry's offense did.

I can see where one might take issue with the claim that Johnson Central's offensive line was "hands down" better than Belfry's this season, but I don't see any objective evidence that Belfry's offensive line had a better "body of work" than Johnson Central's line did this season. Not only that, Johnson Central started only one senior on its offensive line this season, so my guess is that the new starters probably improved more during the season than more experienced players would have.

As good as Johnson Central's line was this season, it should be much better next year with the both guards, both tackles, and defensive end all returning for at least one more season.

As for the 2016 season, Johnson Central's offense outgained Belfry while facing one of the best, if not the best, defensive lines in the history of eastern Kentucky high school football.
I think the Belfry ended up with the best O-Line in 3A for sure. The Gauntlet the Pirates ran to the championship bore that out. However, trying too rank the Offensive lines thru out the state is somewhat problematic, at least IMO.

How many yards gained for the season? How many 1000 yard rushers? How many sacks given up? How many tackles for loss were allowed? I think the answers to these questions are just way to subjective.

What kind of schedule did the team play? Was the offense spread driven or was it run driven? scrambling quarterback?

Quite honestly, Taylor Co had some great backs.....but was that due to a great line? Great athletic backs? Weak Schedule?

Bell Co had a big line....but, with Stephany at QB.....just how many sacks or negative yards are they gonna give up, with his athleticism, along with playing a weak regular season schedule?

Johnson Central's line completely overpowered Belfry's defense in our head to head game. very impressive.

I think all of your Championship teams had GREAT offensive lines. Without question. Trinity, Cov Cath, Johnson Central, Belfry, Somerset and Pikeville. Those teams could move the ball and control the line of scrimmage....regardless of their offensive scheme. I will say this.....teams that are more offensively diverse....their lineman have to be able to run and pass block effectively. That's a real challenge to excel at both. But....teams that are predominately run-oriented (aka Belfry), while they're mostly working on run blocking.....that's all the defense is essentially being geared to stop. So those kids are just as challenged, because the defense is in a run stop only mindset.

Challenges exist for both. I just know that the teams I saw last weekend, who won....had dominating offensive lines....

Tip of the hat to all of those kids. They're the horses
MountainSports Wrote:Just using the winners of 1A to 4A who would everybody's top 5 lineman be?

Johnson Central
Belfry
Pikeville
Somerset
#55PirateFan Wrote:T Sean Cochran
G Aiden Smith
C Ethan Wolford
G Cameron Hensley/Triston Dotson
T Logan McCoy

IMO, this group will go down as one of the best line's Belfry has produced. Not how they started, but how they ended.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Johnson Central's "body of work" consisted of 15 wins and no losses against a slightly stronger schedule (according to CalPreps) than Belfry faced and the same average yards per carry (8.7) as Belfry. In addition, JC's passing game produced three times as many yards and three times the number touchdown passes as Belfry's offense did.

I can see where one might take issue with the claim that Johnson Central's offensive line was "hands down" better than Belfry's this season, but I don't see any objective evidence that Belfry's offensive line had a better "body of work" than Johnson Central's line did this season. Not only that, Johnson Central started only one senior on its offensive line this season, so my guess is that the new starters probably improved more during the season than more experienced players would have.

As good as Johnson Central's line was this season, it should be much better next year with the both guards, both tackles, and defensive end all returning for at least one more season.

As for the 2016 season, Johnson Central's offense outgained Belfry while facing one of the best, if not the best, defensive lines in the history of eastern Kentucky high school football.

Ok, you win! I'm not going to go on and on with you about this. You got your opinion and I got mine. And just so you know, Belfry had only two seniors this year so they should be be pretty good next year themselves. We don't pass, so really can't compare those stats with you, although we could have if Coach Heywood allowed us to. About everytime we did through the ball if was for a TD. But who needs to pass when you have a line that blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Good luck to you guys.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Ok, you win! I'm not going to go on and on with you about this. You got your opinion and I got mine. And just so you know, Belfry had only two seniors this year so they should be be pretty good next year themselves. We don't pass, so really can't compare those stats with you, although we could have if Coach Heywood allowed us to. About everytime we did through the ball if was for a TD. But who needs to pass when you have a line that blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Good luck to you guys.
Who is going on and on? I threw out statistics that indicate to me that JC and Belfry both had great offensive lines but effectively refuted your claim that Belfry's line had a better "body of work." We both have an opinion but the main difference is that I took the time to do some research. (I was not the poster that said JC's line was "hands down" better than Belfry's.)
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Who is going on and on? I threw out statistics that indicate to me that JC and Belfry both had great offensive lines but effectively refuted your claim that Belfry's line had a better "body of work." We both have an opinion but the main difference is that I took the time to do some research. (I was not the poster that said JC's line was "hands down" better than Belfry's.)

Great job on your research! You should be proud. Did my own research just didn't throw out all those "impressive" numbers like you did. I just concluded all my research into simply saying our line blocked for 3 - 1,000 yard rushers this season which is plenty enough for me to think that our line was better and had a better body of work overall. But well done Sir, I congratulate you on your hard work in researching. Its obvious you want recognized for it. Lol
Pages: 1 2