Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorites for 2020
mysonis55 Wrote:As far as the predictions that Mayfield will be there, I really think this is the biggest rebuilding year for Mayfield in many, many years. I don't think they will be able to make it this coming year. I hope that I am wrong, but, I think we have 5 total seniors next year. Mayfield has to replace 4 wr's, 1 great qb and some linemen on offense. They also have to replace 5 starters on defense. To top that off, we also have to replace a kicker.

I agree. Way to many question marks for the cardinals next season. Next season may be the year some area teams get revenge.
Pack2Pirate Wrote:Thanks for kind words about Rudy Blackwell we appreciate it he started every game as a freshman then he got hurt the semi game hopefully he can recover get stronger ,bigger, & faster he has great work ethic but this want better easy for him he has teammates that’s ready step up if can’t. This wonderful group of senior helped these young guys so much this year we have another bunch that’s getting ready to step up.

Rudy is a stud! A star in the making. I was just amazed how good he was this year as a freshman. He was a pleasure to watch my brother. Skies the limit for him over the next couple years. I look forward to watching him next year and beyond. And at the next level too I might add, in my opinion!
1A Pikeville (I think they have enough coming back. Paintsville and Raceland will be in the mix as well)

2A Somerset (They lose a bunch but bring back some stars. Mayfield loses ALOT! Watch out for Breathitt. I know they lose Collins but something is going on over there)

3A Belfry (We wasn't supposed to win it this year either but we did, and ran through the "playoff gauntlet" in doing so; beating ALL the top teams! Bell, Ashland, and DeSales could also make some loud noise)

4A Johnson Central (Matney is on a roll! Boyle is losing a monster class to graduation. I look for Corbin to make a deep run as well. Central seems to always be there lurking around in the end)

5A Frederick Douglas (I think 2020 is their year! Cov.Cath. is always in the hunt)

6A Trinity (Just because its Trinity)
#55PirateFan Wrote:Rudy is a stud! A star in the making. I was just amazed how good he was this year as a freshman. He was a pleasure to watch my brother. Skies the limit for him over the next couple years. I look forward to watching him next year and beyond. And at the next level too I might add, in my opinion!

Thanks a lot we appreciate it he’s hard on himself he works hard thanks guys like big e and others from time he hit middles school he always look up those guys and they set bar high. Good luck big E at the next level
Pack2Pirate Wrote:Thanks a lot we appreciate it he’s hard on himself he works hard thanks guys like big e and others from time he hit middles school he always look up those guys and they set bar high. Good luck big E at the next level

Thanks my friend, we really appreciate that.
I believe 2A will be wide open next year. I'm hearing Mayfield will be rebuilding, and outside of a few star players, Somerset is losing a lot as well. Breathitt loses two big playmakers in Collins and Slaughter, but return a very solid core, including four starters on the offensive line. Beechwood will be improved, while Danville will be looking to take a step back into the state title conversation. Once again, LCA will be solid and Walton-Verona will be improved as well. With that being said, it should be another exciting year in 2A football.
1A Raceland loses seven starters on both sides of the ball, including all of their secondary. Will probably be a rebuilding year in Ram Land.
The 2A winner will once again come from District 4. LCA returns A LOT and the 8th grade class coming up has talent that will have an immediate impact. Somerset still has ballers despite losing A LOT and Danville is coming off of a rebuilding year and is loaded with some dudes.
The biggest thing that Somerset will have to replace is the line. They return their anchor on the line in Drew Johnson. On defense losing Bruner hurts but the freshman Smith played solid minutes at LB this year. Sheron, Grundy, Garland, Johnson will probably be the best players in the district if not all of 2A at their respective positions next season, so the talent will still be there. The big question will be, can the huge and talented freshman class get spun up enough to replace the huge senior class we're losing.
Everybody who won this year except 4A, which will be interesting.

If Wayne County can put together some defensive consistency and allow less than 28 points a game it could be the year they get over the hump and get a ring. Sloan is a phenomenal player, and nearly all of the offense that surrounds him is coming back.

Problem is Corbin may be the second or third best team in the state and they are in the district.
As a Mayfield guy, I don't see them winning the title next season. (sounds foreign to my ears)... i see somerset return their stars, LCA returning alot. I think Mayfield has one of the best coaching staffs in the state so they will be competitive when the playoffs come around, but I don't expect to see the same dominance we've seen the last 10 years
Tigerallamerican Wrote:The 2A winner will once again come from District 4. LCA returns A LOT and the 8th grade class coming up has talent that will have an immediate impact. Somerset still has ballers despite losing A LOT and Danville is coming off of a rebuilding year and is loaded with some dudes.

Can you care to elaborate which upcoming 8th grader(s) "will have an immediate impact"? Respectfully to the Eagles and their D3 championship, I can only/ maybe see Chaney and Orberson that can really contribute to the varsity level. Believe me, not knocking the TEAM, but just curious to see which 8th graders that you mention. Thx
Tigerallamerican Wrote:The 2A winner will once again come from District 4. LCA returns A LOT and the 8th grade class coming up has talent that will have an immediate impact. Somerset still has ballers despite losing A LOT and Danville is coming off of a rebuilding year and is loaded with some dudes.

Somerset and LCA will be interesting next year. On the one hand you've got Somerset who loses a lot but returns pretty much all of their big playmakers, and then you've got LCA who returns a lot but will have to replace Smith and Barnhardt. I expect district 4 will be a war next year. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the 3 seed from that district next season ultimately end up in the title game.
LCA will win 2A next year, remember this post.
LCA is winning 2A next year mark my words
Sayre will have a breakout season being placed in 1A and win the whole thing
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry 2020:

OFFENSE

Lose (5):
LT Sean Cochran
C Ethan Wolford
RB Ben Bentley
FB Peyton Hensley
SE Daniel Oliver

Return (6):
LG Tristan Dotson
RG Aiden Smith
RT Logan McCoy
TE Brad Lowe
QB Brett Coleman
RB Isaac Dixon

Other Key Returnees (Non-Starter):
QB Israel Canterbury- Started first two games
OL Garrett Smith- Was #2 on Depth Chart at C and RT. Expected to start at Center.

DEFENSE

Lose (7):
LB John Ashurst
DT Mason Washington
NG Jacob Baisden
DT Jonathan Stepp
RE Grayson Cook
FS Ben Bentley
CB Isaiah Birchfield

Return (4):
LE Brad Lowe
LB Seth Mounts
SS Brett Coleman
CB Tyler Chaffin

Other Key Returnees (Non-Starters):
CB Isaac Dixon- Starter in 2018, after injury and emergence of Chaffin was given a reduced role on Defense to keep fresh.

DE Rudy Blackwell- Started most of the season before Lowe returned as a Freshman. Had a significant injury late in the season he must recover from. Expected to be the other starting DE.

LB/S Neal Copley- Saw some minutes as a Freshman. Expect a much more increased role.

Notes:
- Offensively, Belfry has to like what they have to start with. Dixon will be one of the best players in EKY and Class 3A, and a potential All-State candidate. Coleman will be an experienced QB and they have a nice nucleus on the line. Finding a FB will be tricky as Hensley was essentially a HB playing FB and did it well. If the Pirates can develop a FB and a second big play threat at HB, and the line can develop over the Summer they will be worthy of a high ranking.

- Defensively, Belfry has some big gaps to fill with none being bigger than the heart of their D-Line. The Pirates lose all three starters and also Dylan Goff who was superb at times. Cook was a fixture for four years at DE. Blackwell has a ton of potential but will have to work hard to soften the blow. Birchfield and Bentley are massive holes to fill. Birchfield turned into one of the best CB's in 3A and EKY and recorded 8 INT's and became a lock down corner. Bentley was consistent and a big play maker. Chaffin improved dramatically filling in for Dixon and if Haywood lets Dixon play both ways he will bring some starting experience. Coleman will be solid as ever returning at Safety and Mounts will be a force in the middle.

- Special Teams wise losing Cook means finding a new PK and Punter. Kicking was always an adventure but Cook was a surprisingly effective Punter. Bentley was a tremendous kick returner and will be missed heavy, but Dixon when healthy is a highlight film waiting to happen.

Conclusion:
Belfry will be solid. I will raise my hand that I said that after 2019 the talent pool will start to dry up for Belfry, especially up front on both lines. I was beyond impressed with how the O-Line matured this season and though they lose their star and leader in Wolford, this should be a quality unit though depth will be questionable. Defensively, there may be some truth to my prophecy as that D-Line will be a scary proposition in the middle in a Class with some quality run games and veteran lines returning. The Pirates still have some great skill and Dixon is a bonafide superstar. The depth all around continues to thin though and this is alarming. You don't see that superstar in waiting like we have seen in the past, with the exception of maybe Blackwell. It is also scary not seeing that dominant Fullback that has been a fixture for basically the last 20 years. One thought is could we see Coleman move back to FB and let either Chaffin or Cantebrury run QB1?

Though I feel my doom and gloom prediction is not as gloomy as I anticipated, Belfry's margin for error or injury will be razor thin and significant improvement is an absolute must this summer at key positions.Outside of personnel, it is absolute a must that Belfry fills a full 10-game schedule with this new RPI system as the lack of that tenth game made their path tougher than it needed to be.

I’m really curious who takes an hour of their life to type all of this 😂😂
SayreSpartan2006 Wrote:I’m really curious who takes an hour of their life to type all of this 😂😂

I think it's an excellent post. He is pretty spot on when it comes to Belfry football and high school football in general. We need more post like this, and less like your above post!
SayreSpartan2006 Wrote:I’m really curious who takes an hour of their life to type all of this 😂😂

For the record didn't take nearly as long as you would think.

Belfry's two-deep was up from the finals and the roster was one click away.

If it takes you an hour to formulate a thought like that, you might want to upgrade your hard drive. The again the post before you did suggest Sayre would win the 1A Title after they lost to Fort Knox and lost by 28 to Phelps this year.... soooooo.... Confusedhh:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For the record didn't take nearly as long as you would think.

If it takes you an hour to formulate a thought like that, you might want to upgrade your hard drive. The again the post before you did suggest Sayre would win the 1A Title after they lost to Fort Knox and lost by 28 to Phelps this year.... soooooo.... Confusedhh:

LMAO! Well said Sir. I thought it was a great assessment myself and I always enjoy reading your comments. They are usually spot on and the lengthy posts are my favorite because they go really in depth on the subject at hand. Keep up the great work EKUAlum, almost ALL of us enjoy reading them and we want to know what you have to say.
Somerset will be loaded again. The senior and sophomore class next year are 2 of the best classes that have come through that program in a long time. Plus there are some key players in the junior class that were out this year that will be back next year. LCA and Mayfield will be good but I dont think as good as this past year. Beechwood and Danville should be much improved. Caldwell may get in the mix. I'm sure Breathitt will be decent. Then everybody else.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry 2020:

OFFENSE

Lose (5):
LT Sean Cochran
C Ethan Wolford
RB Ben Bentley
FB Peyton Hensley
SE Daniel Oliver
Return (6):
LG Tristan Dotson
RG Aiden Smith
RT Logan McCoy
TE Brad Lowe
QB Brett Coleman
RB Isaac Dixon

Other Key Returnees (Non-Starter):
QB Israel Canterbury- Started first two games
OL Garrett Smith- Was #2 on Depth Chart at C and RT. Expected to start at Center.

DEFENSE

Lose (7):
LB John Ashurst
DT Mason Washington
NG Jacob Baisden
DT Jonathan Stepp
RE Grayson Cook
FS Ben Bentley
CB Isaiah Birchfield

Return (4):
LE Brad Lowe
LB Seth Mounts
SS Brett Coleman
CB Tyler Chaffin

Other Key Returnees (Non-Starters):
CB Isaac Dixon- Starter in 2018, after injury and emergence of Chaffin was given a reduced role on Defense to keep fresh.

DE Rudy Blackwell- Started most of the season before Lowe returned as a Freshman. Had a significant injury late in the season he must recover from. Expected to be the other starting DE.

LB/S Neal Copley- Saw some minutes as a Freshman. Expect a much more increased role.

Notes:
- Offensively, Belfry has to like what they have to start with. Dixon will be one of the best players in EKY and Class 3A, and a potential All-State candidate. Coleman will be an experienced QB and they have a nice nucleus on the line. Finding a FB will be tricky as Hensley was essentially a HB playing FB and did it well. If the Pirates can develop a FB and a second big play threat at HB, and the line can develop over the Summer they will be worthy of a high ranking.

- Defensively, Belfry has some big gaps to fill with none being bigger than the heart of their D-Line. The Pirates lose all three starters and also Dylan Goff who was superb at times. Cook was a fixture for four years at DE. Blackwell has a ton of potential but will have to work hard to soften the blow. Birchfield and Bentley are massive holes to fill. Birchfield turned into one of the best CB's in 3A and EKY and recorded 8 INT's and became a lock down corner. Bentley was consistent and a big play maker. Chaffin improved dramatically filling in for Dixon and if Haywood lets Dixon play both ways he will bring some starting experience. Coleman will be solid as ever returning at Safety and Mounts will be a force in the middle.

- Special Teams wise losing Cook means finding a new PK and Punter. Kicking was always an adventure but Cook was a surprisingly effective Punter. Bentley was a tremendous kick returner and will be missed heavy, but Dixon when healthy is a highlight film waiting to happen.

Conclusion:
Belfry will be solid. I will raise my hand that I said that after 2019 the talent pool will start to dry up for Belfry, especially up front on both lines. I was beyond impressed with how the O-Line matured this season and though they lose their star and leader in Wolford, this should be a quality unit though depth will be questionable. Defensively, there may be some truth to my prophecy as that D-Line will be a scary proposition in the middle in a Class with some quality run games and veteran lines returning. The Pirates still have some great skill and Dixon is a bonafide superstar. The depth all around continues to thin though and this is alarming. You don't see that superstar in waiting like we have seen in the past, with the exception of maybe Blackwell. It is also scary not seeing that dominant Fullback that has been a fixture for basically the last 20 years. One thought is could we see Coleman move back to FB and let either Chaffin or Cantebrury run QB1?

Though I feel my doom and gloom prediction is not as gloomy as I anticipated, Belfry's margin for error or injury will be razor thin and significant improvement is an absolute must this summer at key positions.Outside of personnel, it is absolute a must that Belfry fills a full 10-game schedule with this new RPI system as the lack of that tenth game made their path tougher than it needed to be.

The Rash Twins dominated JV and they will be on the field somewhere next year
My District champion predictions for next year. Some of these are just a shot in the dark.

A
D1- Crittenden County
D2- Holy Cross (Louisville)
D3- Kentucky Country Day
D4- Newport Central Catholic
D5- Nicholas County
D6- Paintsville
D7- Pikeville
D8- Williamsburg

AA
D1- Mayfield
D2- Owensboro Catholic
D3- Edmonson County
D4- Somerset
D5- Walton-Verona
D6- Beechwood
D7- Breathitt County
D8- West Carter

AAA
D1- Paducah Tilghman
D2- Taylor County
D3- Bardstown
D4- DeSales
D5- Bell County
D6- Fleming County
D7- Russell
D8- Belfry

AAAA

D1- Madisonville North-Hopkins
D2- Franklin-Simpson
D3- Moore
D4- Central
D5- Boyle County
D6- Scott
D7- Wayne County
D8- Johnson Central

AAAAA
D1- Owensboro
D2- South Warren
D3- Fairdale
D4- South Oldham
D5- Covington Catholic
D6- Frederick Douglass
D7- East Jessamine
D8- Whitley County

AAAAAA

D1- McCracken County
D2- North Hardin
D3- DuPont Manual
D4- Male
D5- Trinity
D6- Simon Kenton
D7- Tates Creek
D8- George Rodgers Clark
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For the record didn't take nearly as long as you would think.

Those losses are in the past and we have a bright team that I think will have an outstanding season. You’ll see just wait
Do not count out Fulton County in District 1 in 1A

Life was boring without you and I on the message boards, SayreSpartan2006. Good to be back.