Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorites for 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Who are your favorites in each class in 2020?
Oh who knows.
From the sound of things, Paintsville may be back in Lexington next season.
Another year, same story. For the vast majority....It will be people who have been there before, and some of them who have been there a whole bunch.
We could see at least 4 teams from this year repeat next year.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:We could see at least 4 teams from this year repeat next year.

Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson, and Trinity?
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson, and Trinity?

I'd be shocked if Johnson repeats simply because 4a to me has the most teams that are truly in the mix. Boyle Co, Central, Corbin, and Wayne County are all teams I believe will be in the mix in 4a next year. I also would expect a decent chance that Franklin Simpson rebounds and has a shot.

To me the paths to repeat for Pikeville, Belfry, and Trinity just seems a lot easier to me. And that's not to say those three won't stumble and fail tor repeat as well.
6A - Trinity... by a wide margin.

5A - Freddie D

Cov Catholic, if a few things align for them.

4A - Who knows? 4A is always interesting.

3A - Belfry... possibly second only to Trinity, in terms of expectations.

Taylor Co. could be solid.

2A - Mayfield; the death and taxes of small school Kentucky football.

1A - Paintsville.
Somerset loses 24 seniors, but will return pretty much all of their playmakers (Sheron, Grundy, Garland all back). They'll have to get some linemen spun up, but their single best lineman will be back. Losing Bruner and Madden will hurt the most on defense, defense as a whole gets hit pretty hard really. They also had several freshmen who played significant minutes in big games this season. There will be some growing pains, but with what everyone else in 2A loses this year, I think they've got to hold the top spot still coming into next season.

I'll say this though, if you've forgotten about Danville already, they'll be there to remind you next season. Admirals will be a tough out for anyone next year.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Pikeville, Belfry, Johnson, and Trinity?

Somerset and not Johnson, QB is a JR, as long as that kid is on the field they have a chance.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Somerset and not Johnson, QB is a JR, as long as that kid is on the field they have a chance.

Not Johnson? Have you seen their roster? They have a bunch coming back.
Yes they lose a few workhorses and the General, but they’ll be fine once the replacements get the reps under their belt.
The question for JC is at the QB position. Preece’s value to the team cannot be overstated.
:pondering: I’m thinking 1A Paiintsville in 2020 :mop:
:betterthanexpected: Breathitt County or LCA
1A:
Pikeville returns MacNamee but loses their heaviest hitters in terms of playmakers. They will be solid for sure and in the picture, but this was that dominant team.

Paintsville will be very good.

Raceland and Hazard will be fine. Williamsburg and Campbellsville should fall back some losing superstars, KCD will be solid as will Holy Cross. Not sure what Bethlehem has back.

2A
Somerset gets hit hard up front and lose some big time role players. They have star power though for sure.

Mayfield is Mayfield. They lose some studs but you know they will be there.

Beechwood should be significantly better and bring Hergott back.

LCA loses Long, Smith, and Barnhardt. They return Brown and Lebryck. Should be solid but probably take a step back.

Breathitt loses Collins and Long but should be solid. Maybe not as good as this year but probably Top 5 or 6.

Danville will be vastly improved, played almost all underclassmen. Murray takes big hits to graduation. West Carter should be better. Walton-Verona will be a Top 10 team. Newport will fall back.

3A
Belfry has some big holes but should be right in the thick again with Dixon, Coleman, and some other key players back.

DeSales will have good strength back, but lose all their D-Line which was by far their strongest part.

Bell returns more than anyone but mus replace their heartbeat in Stephney. Top 5 for sure.

Ashland and Russell will be good. Bardstown will take a big hit, Etown should be solid. Taylor County will take a hit.

4A
Boyle is built to be stout again for more years, but this was that special Senior Class.

Johnson Central will be the favorite but they have monster holes to fill from experience, production, and leadership.

Wayne County will be dangerous with Sloan. Corbin should be better. Madisonville loses Hightower and will fall back. Hopkinsville should be the best out that way.

Does Franklin-Simpson bounce back to normal?

LexCath loses Allen but they are always a Top 10 team.
Old guy Wrote:The question for JC is at the QB position. Preece’s value to the team cannot be overstated.

Preece is a big loss IMO. His leadership and the heart/determination he plays with is unmatched.

That Oline is gonna be dominant and JC always seems to just reload at the RB positions.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1A:
Pikeville returns MacNamee but loses their heaviest hitters in terms of playmakers. They will be solid for sure and in the picture, but this was that dominant team.

Paintsville will be very good.

Raceland and Hazard will be fine. Williamsburg and Campbellsville should fall back some losing superstars, KCD will be solid as will Holy Cross. Not sure what Bethlehem has back.

2A
Somerset gets hit hard up front and lose some big time role players. They have star power though for sure.

Mayfield is Mayfield. They lose some studs but you know they will be there.

Beechwood should be significantly better and bring Hergott back.

LCA loses Long, Smith, and Barnhardt. They return Brown and Lebryck. Should be solid but probably take a step back.

Breathitt loses Collins and Long but should be solid. Maybe not as good as this year but probably Top 5 or 6.

Danville will be vastly improved, played almost all underclassmen. Murray takes big hits to graduation. West Carter should be better. Walton-Verona will be a Top 10 team. Newport will fall back.

3A
Belfry has some big holes but should be right in the thick again with Dixon, Coleman, and some other key players back.

DeSales will have good strength back, but lose all their D-Line which was by far their strongest part.

Bell returns more than anyone but mus replace their heartbeat in Stephney. Top 5 for sure.

Ashland and Russell will be good. Bardstown will take a big hit, Etown should be solid. Taylor County will take a hit.

4A
Boyle is built to be stout again for more years, but this was that special Senior Class.

Johnson Central will be the favorite but they have monster holes to fill from experience, production, and leadership.

Wayne County will be dangerous with Sloan. Corbin should be better. Madisonville loses Hightower and will fall back. Hopkinsville should be the best out that way.

Does Franklin-Simpson bounce back to normal?

LexCath loses Allen but they are always a Top 10 team.

Long from Breathitt is just a junior. He'll be back for one more year.
DeSales vs Belfry in 2020 Confusedmoke: Remember his name ( Issac Dixon ) will be back. :Cheerlead
Old guy Wrote:The question for JC is at the QB position. Preece’s value to the team cannot be overstated.
Johnson Central won its first state title 48-0 with Preece starting as a freshman quarterback. Next season's starting quarterback will probably be a junior with much more experience than Preece had as a freshman. Johnson Central will definitely be a top contender next season.
Struggling making a prediction in 4A Confusednicker:
Going with 5A Frederick Douglass and 5A Owensboro. 2020 :popcorn:
6A Trinity Confusedhh:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Johnson Central won its first state title 48-0 with Preece starting as a freshman quarterback. Next season's starting quarterback will probably be a junior with much more experience than Preece had as a freshman. Johnson Central will definitely be a top contender next season.

Has Matney ever had a subpar Oline or backfield while at JC? I can’t think of a single season.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Johnson Central won its first state title 48-0 with Preece starting as a freshman quarterback. Next season's starting quarterback will probably be a junior with much more experience than Preece had as a freshman. Johnson Central will definitely be a top contender next season.

I agree with that to some extent. It will be fun to see if the replacement can run the offense like Preece. If so, JC will be a very strong force yet again. Is it football season yet? :-)

True. Personally, I think LB Hunter McCloud will be tough to replace. He doesn’t get all of the recognition that others get, but IMO he was the best LB in the East. Went into the State Championship with 140 tackles. Idk what his total was for the Boyle County game, but he was all over the field for 4 quarters. That boy has a motor that doesn’t stop. College coaches hopefully took notice.
McCloud was a definite force. Love watching that kid.;...since I am an old LB. I am very biased for that position. I was not saying that they would not suffer in other positions....I just think the QB position is so critical and that will be the question.
Redneck Wrote:True. Personally, I think LB Hunter McCloud will be tough to replace. He doesn’t get all of the recognition that others get, but IMO he was the best LB in the East. Went into the State Championship with 140 tackles. Idk what his total was for the Boyle County game, but he was all over the field for 4 quarters. That boy has a motor that doesn’t stop. College coaches hopefully took notice.

6 solo tackles, 3 assisted, FR, TFL
2000PHS Wrote:Has Matney ever had a subpar Oline or backfield while at JC? I can’t think of a single season.
I wouldn't call any of them subpar but losing Joe Jackson in the first game of the 2017 season left a big dent in the offense. They still made it back to the state finals but they had to work much harder to get there.

IMO, Matney and his staff don't get enough credit for player development, especially on the line. A lot of people seem to think that big, strong lineman just walk through the door at JC ready to suit up.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I wouldn't call any of them subpar but losing Joe Jackson in the first game of the 2017 season left a big dent in the offense. They still made it back to the state finals but they had to work much harder to get there.

IMO, Matney and his staff don't get enough credit for player development, especially on the line. A lot of people seem to think that big, strong lineman just walk through the door at JC ready to suit up.

Be nice it they did just walk thru and was ready lol and looked like the current line. I think after watching them in person, no doubt they know how to develop a heck of a line.
Pages: 1 2 3