Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone
kyrifle Wrote:The consolidation of Sheldon Clark has nothin to do with the tradition of the Inez Indians basketball tradition. The Inez basketball teams will always be remembered as a great school for it's success on the hardwood.
Sheldon Clark High School has never had the support that Inez or Warfield had when they were high schools. These two communities thought so much of their teams that it wasn't uncommon for brawls to break out when they played each other.
Inez has always been the standard of exelence to live up to in the 15th region. Pikeville has a lot of tradition as well as Paintsville, but neither school can claim the TRADITION that the Inez community can claim.
These old schools will live on forever in the minds of the people in the communities that supported these schools . Paintsville, Johnson Cent. and Sheldon Clark has a lot of catching up to the old schools in the 57th district.
There are only 5 schools in the 57th district now. Before consolidation there were 9 and 10 schools in the district tournament. YHou had to put 4 good games together to win the district. Much tougher getting out before consolidation.
A lot of people that post on this site are kids or young adults who know nothing about the history of the 57th district, yet they would lead you to believe that they know everything about the subject of basketball, baseball and football. I've watched these teams over the years (50 years to be exact ). I've seen maybe 3 great players in this time. Everyone that plays this game isn't GREAT as many of you would like to believe they are.
Donis Buthcer, Alvin Ratliff, Richard Conley these players could have played today and dominated the 57th district.
This is a little off track and has nothing to do with Landon Slone, but you people who are spouting opinions about players and schools need to be out of high school 20 year's before your opinion matters, you haven't seen enough to make statements that only cover your short existance.
As far as Landon Slone as a D-1 player, he's mid major at best. He's not as good as J.r or Todd Tackett. J.R. had a pretty good college carere, went to the school he wanted to attend and contributed. Tacket on the other hand lands at UK and dosent play 40 minutes in 2 years. Landon isn't nearly the athlete Tackett was. I think low mid major or NAIA for Landon.

Preach it Brother!!!!!!!!:kneel:

Very good info!!!
Would have loved to watched the boys from, Flat Gap, Meade, Oil Springs, Warfield and Inez. I have heard tons of stories and each one has been a pleasure to hear. Nice post KYRIFLE!!!!
kyrifle Wrote:Coach Knight followed Billy Ray at P-ville. If you will look at the post , it says Cassidy coached at P-ville in the early 60's not 70's

I never thought Cassidy was there in the 70's and perhaps it may have typed out that I was making it look like you said he did... sorry. I was told Coach Knight came after Coach Wheeler. If this is incorrect, then I stand corrected, but I will check. So you're saying he (BRC)was there for when?
Help us out J.R.!
This thread is so far off topic, it would be impossible to get back on track.
Closed.

If you want to start a new Landon Slone, feel free.
If you want to start a Paintsville Basketball history thread, feel free...I think it would be very interesting