Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landon Slone
Heard he had awesome weekend at Uni. of WV, at the Jamfest(W/ Derek Smith All-Stars) He must have impressed alot of coaches from what I hear...The DS Allstars leave for Vegas Saturday and then Los Angeles next saturday..Wonder where and when he'll sign....I know he has visited and talked to some colleges...What does everyone think?Cool
-STATS- Wrote:Heard he had awesome weekend at Uni. of WV, at the Jamfest(W/ Derek Smith All-Stars) He must have impressed alot of coaches from what I hear...The DS Allstars leave for Vegas Saturday and then Los Angeles next saturday..Wonder where and when he'll sign....I know he has visited and talked to some colleges...What does everyone think?Cool
Landon is going to be a D1 player. It is just a shame that this talented bunch from Paintsville can't play together. They all are very good players but have been a big disapointment as far as the "team" goes!
Let us know which ones he has talked to since you know. I think mid level d1 would be a good fit, like a ohio u, miami ohio type school.
Well I think schools like Western Ky, EKU, Marshall, Southern ILL, Holy Cross, Davidson, New Mex. ST, Bradley, VALPO...Places like that...I think the biggest is Arkansas, because him and John Pelphrey have a good relationship!
-STATS- Wrote:Well I think schools like Western Ky, EKU, Marshall, Southern ILL, Holy Cross, Davidson, New Mex. ST, Bradley, VALPO...Places like that...I think the biggest is Arkansas, because him and John Pelphrey have a good relationship!
Yeah he's definitly a DI prospect, I'd love to see him play for Pelphery and the Razorbacks. He'd make a good guard there hopefully a scholarship offer will be there. But I figured Landon will stay closer to home. Marshall would be a good fit for him he'd fit into that system pretty eaisly. What ever happend to Texas Tech. Also another DI school that you forgot to mentioned that was in one of my PMs is IPFW...aka...Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.
Moe Wrote:Yeah he's definitly a DI prospect, I'd love to see him play for Pelphery and the Razorbacks. He'd make a good guard there hopefully a scholarship offer will be there. But I figured Landon will stay closer to home. Marshall would be a good fit for him he'd fit into that system pretty eaisly. What ever happend to Texas Tech. Also another DI school that you forgot to mentioned that was in one of my PMs is IPFW...aka...Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.

Yea I also heard Texas Tech...IUPUI would be a good school, very good basketball program...Personally, I'd love to c him end up at Arkansas!
Texas Tech is funny no way. But I do agree Marshall would be a great fit for him not ready to play in the SEC and will never be. I like Landon and his game but he is not SEC quality but he is def. D 1
meganwillis10 Wrote:Texas Tech is funny no way. But I do agree Marshall would be a great fit for him not ready to play in the SEC and will never be. I like Landon and his game but he is not SEC quality but he is def. D 1

shew, I'm glad you said it. saves me from feeling bad about it!!!!! haha
surely people know what it takes to play in the SEC/Big 12

be nice to see him D-1 somewhere tho
Never know, look at what he has done all summer with the Derek Smith All-Stars. He has done WELL against the top players in the country.
yeah, i had started thinking that. when a kid is out playing in high profile events like vegas and L.A., that seems to boost schools interest ALOT right there. if he can keep the interest up during regular season, when the "individual showcasing" is done, there may be a major conf. come calling.
i think stepp is on that team also
Moe Wrote:Yeah he's definitly a DI prospect, I'd love to see him play for Pelphery and the Razorbacks. He'd make a good guard there hopefully a scholarship offer will be there. But I figured Landon will stay closer to home. Marshall would be a good fit for him he'd fit into that system pretty eaisly. What ever happend to Texas Tech. Also another DI school that you forgot to mentioned that was in one of my PMs is IPFW...aka...Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.

I agree with you and I would love to see him play for Pelphrey at Arkansas, but in order to do that, he has to get stronger and work on his outside shot - not to mention working on defense.

I think he's mid-D1 right now and like you said, Marshall would be a great fit for him.
If he goes to Arkansas it will be because of BMR not Landon. But I also agree he is D1 but not major D1
I would like to see Landon at Arkansas, but I think somewhere like Marshall would be a better fit.
i just cant see him at arkansas maye small d1 or georgetown
It's good to see some talent from eastern KY get recognized. Landon is a GREAT player. I mean, how many players from this area have been named All-State (3rd team) as a freshman? He will go D-I, and will succeed. I'm happy to hear he's having a productive summer. Good luck, Landon, wherever you choose to go. I'm sure you will make us all proud.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I mean, how many players from this area have been named All-State (3rd team) as a freshman?

Not being critical of Landon, but that's been the probably in the eyes of some - where's he been since the SV game freshman year? What's wrong with the team and it's chemistry? Those are big factors right now whether some fans believe it or not, especially with the emergence of Shelby Valley as the top team in the region.
Landon COULD have been D1 material if Pville had managed to gel and perform as a team to their capability 3 yrs ago. The teams lack of ability has hurt all players. When one steps up, all step up. I think his game would be better developed if his team had reached their potential.
That said, he is an awesome player and will be an assett wherever he goes. I just think there was room for more.
#1TigerFan Wrote:Landon COULD have been D1 material if Pville had managed to gel and perform as a team to their capability 3 yrs ago. The teams lack of ability has hurt all players. When one steps up, all step up. I think his game would be better developed if his team had reached their potential.
That said, he is an awesome player and will be an assett wherever he goes. I just think there was room for more.

They have this season to show/live up to potential and I think you may finally see it come to pass...
The thing about the Paintsville good teams (Pelphrey team in 80's) and (Vanhoose team in 90's) is that they took advantage of the breaks and won the region when they were underclassman. It is very, very hard to win it as seniors when you have been hyped like Landon's team has for the past four years. They may do it but I just don't see it!!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:It's good to see some talent from eastern KY get recognized. Landon is a GREAT player. I mean, how many players from this area have been named All-State (3rd team) as a freshman? He will go D-I, and will succeed. I'm happy to hear he's having a productive summer. Good luck, Landon, wherever you choose to go. I'm sure you will make us all proud.
A kid from East Ridge was also named third team AP as well that year and honestly he was not that good, and I dont believe he went anywhere. The AP poll is highly political and of a biased nature. You may only have 8 to 10 sportswriters even vote on the poll and if you have as many as 2 or 3 voters from one geographic location, then you see what happens. I dont think that Slone has been named to any other All Team squad since that one time, especially one where you have a coaches vote involved. Someone can correct me on this but I dont think that he has even been named honorable mention.

But anyways good luck to him in his college endeavors.
bball fan Wrote:The thing about the Paintsville good teams (Pelphrey team in 80's) and (Vanhoose team in 90's) is that they took advantage of the breaks and won the region when they were underclassman. It is very, very hard to win it as seniors when you have been hyped like Landon's team has for the past four years. They may do it but I just don't see it!!
Also those teams were much, much, much more talented than the current Paintsville squad. These kids for the most part have been unjustly overly hyped since being in the 8th grade.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:A kid from East Ridge was also named third team AP as well that year and honestly he was not that good, and I dont believe he went anywhere. The AP poll is highly political and of a biased nature. You may only have 8 to 10 sportswriters even vote on the poll and if you have as many as 2 or 3 voters from one geographic location, then you see what happens. I dont think that Slone has been named to any other All Team squad since that one time, especially one where you have a coaches vote involved. Someone can correct me on this but I dont think that he has even been named honorable mention.

But anyways good luck to him in his college endeavors.

Actually his soph year, he was honorable mention in both the Lex. Herald and The Courier-Journal..Junior Year 2nd team all-state(Lex. Herald) and 3rd Team all-state Courier Journal!!Lol
Hes heading out for Las Vegas this coming saturday and then heading out to Los Angeles after that, and most of the top coaches, scouts and players in the Country will be there in attendance. Landon is a hard worker and will do what it takes to be successful. Folks I'll tell ya right now hes working harder than ever, he wants to go to Rupp more than anyone in this State and that is no lie and he doesnt want to go there to watch either. This is one of the greatest experiences of his life, going all around the Country with the best players in the State of Kentucky and playing the cream of the crop this Country has to offer. Those of who are talking about making All-State honors and all that, yeah thats a great honor dont get me wrong, but getting All-State doesnt improve your game at all, getting out on the court day in and day out and work at everything, the basics of the game that makes you better, and I've already spent alot of time with Landon over the summer and that is all he has been doing, working hard and improving more and more everyday. Lando good luck in Vegas and L.A. and good luck this coming season!
-STATS- Wrote:Hes heading out for Las Vegas this coming saturday and then heading out to Los Angeles after that, and most of the top coaches, scouts and players in the Country will be there in attendance. Landon is a hard worker and will do what it takes to be successful. Folks I'll tell ya right now hes working harder than ever, he wants to go to Rupp more than anyone in this State and that is no lie and he doesnt want to go there to watch either. This is one of the greatest experiences of his life, going all around the Country with the best players in the State of Kentucky and playing the cream of the crop this Country has to offer. Those of who are talking about making All-State honors and all that, yeah thats a great honor dont get me wrong, but getting All-State doesnt improve your game at all, getting out on the court day in and day out and work at everything, the basics of the game that makes you better, and I've already spent alot of time with Landon over the summer and that is all he has been doing, working hard and improving more and more everyday. Lando good luck in Vegas and L.A. and good luck this coming season!
Great Post, and I do agree with everything. I believe he is BY FAR the best player in the Mtns. at this point. He and Bundy have had outstanding summers from what I understand. If they gel as a team they could be very tough to beat after the steady inprovement. The key word for the Paintsville team this season is chemistry. Those Seniors have to step up and be leaders and be mature. This is their last season to do something special and it could be something they regreat the rest of their lives if they flop again this season.
Moe Wrote:Great Post, and I do agree with everything. I believe he is BY FAR the best player in the Mtns. at this point. He and Bundy have had outstanding summers from what I understand. If they gel as a team they could be very tough to beat after the steady inprovement. The key word for the Paintsville team this season is chemistry. Those Seniors have to step up and be leaders and be mature. This is their last season to do something special and it could be something they regreat the rest of their lives if they flop again this season.

Yet another great post and I agree with yours as well. My favorite part is the chemistry part, they all have to be on the same note and have the same mindset if they want to win the region. And theres no doubt if they dont break through that it would stay on their minds for years to come, so from an ol Floyd County boy I'll be rooting for them.
-STATS- Wrote:Yet another great post and I agree with yours as well. My favorite part is the chemistry part, they all have to be on the same note and have the same mindset if they want to win the region. And theres no doubt if they dont break through that it would stay on their minds for years to come, so from an ol Floyd County boy I'll be rooting for them.
well ole floyd county boy i agree with you 100%. from a real ole floyd county boy i will be rooting the tigers all the way, sure hope they can get to rupp this yr. good lord willing me and the young ole floyd county boy will be right there isn't that right young ole floyd county boy. Landon is a heck of a player, and from what i hear about him this summer,and yes i have seen him a little bit and he sure is practicing very hard, there isn't anyone in the mountains that should be able to stop him. well on the floor that is, well i will go a little futher that is on the floor and on the opposing team. i will end with that. see young ole floyd county boy Wink :p Big Grin
Landon said he had received alot of communication from Memphis as of July of this year.
You know i watched him play his freshman year and was like dang this kid is going to be something special, not only him but that whole team. Then years past and the comotion of what they were became to what they could be. The mountains crumbled with all the talk about them, about the arguments between players to some were transfering. Now they are in their senior year and now talk is cheap. They are a team and to be honest i feel they know now that they must work together and not be individuals and its sad that with their talent its took this long for them to figure that out. They now know that when they are on the court Pride flows through those blue and white jerseys. As the same name flows across the chest as when Pelphrey and Vanhoose played. They now realize that when they step on the court they are not in the halls of Paintsville High as indviduals but are one, as they wear the same jerseys and their goal is the same. I hope all this hype about Landon going D-1 can die down until late March so this young man can focus on his goals and can live a normal teenage life. B/c his whole life it has been anything but ordinary. Good Luck Landon and may God bless you and lead you in the right direction.
Watchful Eye Wrote:Landon said he had received alot of communication from Memphis as of July of this year.
Communication is different than an offer...what offers does he have???